Automakers Concerned About New Fuel E...

Automakers Concerned About New Fuel Efficiency Standards

There are 6 comments on the WJR-AM Detroit story from Aug 28, 2012, titled Automakers Concerned About New Fuel Efficiency Standards. In it, WJR-AM Detroit reports that:

Past consumer behavior has the auto industry reacting with "mixed emotions" to Tuesday's Obama administration announcement of new fuel efficiency standards that will increase fuel economy to the equivalent of 54.5 mpg for cars and light-duty trucks by Model Year 2025, Gloria Bergquist, vice president of the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers told ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WJR-AM Detroit.

Northie

Spokane, WA

#1 Aug 28, 2012
It's a baby step, but a good one for the climate and the oceans.

It'd also be nice to never again see Americans itch to occupy some oily Middle Eastern armpit.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#2 Aug 28, 2012
Northie wrote:
It's a baby step, but a good one for the climate and the oceans.
It'd also be nice to never again see Americans itch to occupy some oily Middle Eastern armpit.
In the 70's & 80's, vehicle makers made high mpg cars that few people wanted. That's why I got a car for 40+% under the retail that I've had for 24 years, presently averaging 46mpg.

However, there now are cars lots of people want that can get in the mid-40mpg level & higher with careful highway featherfooting. Some people give excuses, trying to demean them. But these aren't Yugo's.

The Chevy Eco Cruze is nice, altho possibly a bit too complex to stay away from repair shops over the long haul. With careful driving it can deliver 50mpg! The Volkwagen Golf diesel is a superb driver's car with the 6sp. manual & the 6sp dual-clutch trannie is elegant. Saving you dough with the simple, but spectacularly lovely Elantra with 100,000 mile warranty, the right conditions can give you close to mid-40mpg. The Elantra has the greatest rear seat shoulder room of any car getting 40mpg. Mazda 3 & Ford Focus, both better driver's cars, go beyond 40mpg. As for cheap, many people, satisfied with point A to point B driving, are happy with the hot selling 2012 Nissan Versa. EPA labeled as only getting highway 38mpg with the CVT transmission, numerous reports say it is giving close to mid-40mpg with careful highway driving & can get upper 30mpg, including city driving.

Please use 100% pure(ethanol-free) gasoline(not in diesel) when available, to raise your normal mpg by 5-10%, plus gaining smoother, quieter engines, with a bit more low speed torque that will reduce shifting, whether with a manual or automatic transmission.
PHD

Houston, TX

#3 Aug 28, 2012
Big 3 announced today that they are going to 100% production on all three shifts. Guess the better gas mileage law is working for them.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#4 Aug 28, 2012
PHD wrote:
Big 3 announced today that they are going to 100% production on all three shifts. Guess the better gas mileage law is working for them.
Conservatives, AGW deniers, capitalists & CEOs of oil & energy companies do NOT & can NOT see the better mpg law as a value added extra to new cars.
PHD

Houston, TX

#5 Aug 28, 2012
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Conservatives, AGW deniers, capitalists & CEOs of oil & energy companies do NOT & can NOT see the better mpg law as a value added extra to new cars.
And have you noticed the gas prices have been going up. I'm sure they informed the oil Ind. that their car production will be at 100% on higher mileage cars so were back to higher gas prices. Oh I know what there saying there was an oil refinery explosion or wait there’s a hurricane coming in so their production must stop. Better mileage less oil so higher gas prices.
Northie

Spokane, WA

#6 Aug 29, 2012
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Bigger gas guzzlers carry higher profit margins. Also, I've worked with car people (who always strike me as a little creepy) and, if there is one thing they love, it's horsepower.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Elevated levels of lead and copper found in wat... 19 hr bozo 3
News VW executive to face tough questions from Congr... (Oct '15) Apr 25 Murdochs Chinese ... 17
News American Lung Association Says California Has N... Apr 24 Julie Jane 1
News Monsanto CEO Hugh Grant insists Roundup is safe... Apr 23 Say no to GMOs 1
News Tacoma: Water in Lead Pipes Could Be Dangerous ... Apr 23 Flint 1
News Why Michigan lead reforms don't call for even l... Apr 23 Flint 1
News EPA Head Admits Clean Power Plan Wouldn't Impac... Apr 22 bamawatt 2
More from around the web