Leak confirmed at nuclear waste dump ...

Leak confirmed at nuclear waste dump in New Mexico

There are 69 comments on the SFGate story from Feb 20, 2014, titled Leak confirmed at nuclear waste dump in New Mexico. In it, SFGate reports that:

This undated file aerial photo shows the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant near Carlsbad, N.M. The U.S. Department of Energy has appointed a team to investigate the detection of radiation in and near the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant facility that's the nation's only underground nuclear waste repository in operation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at SFGate.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
concerned

Carlsbad, NM

#1 Feb 20, 2014
Traces of radiation in the air and its not going to affect us!!! Liars!!!! The flu cases this past year were higher in our part of the state...hmmmmm!!!

“Not everything that shines...”

Since: Aug 13

Hatch, NM

#2 Feb 20, 2014
Radiation is bad news,very bad news, but the FLU? Radiation is not the type of illness to 'take an aspirin and call me in the morning' Radiation is not a bug rather it's an ass kicking your back, your front, your insides CANCER, more like it but then the NM sun causes it too. I hear that covering yourself with foil wrap protects. Worth a try.
Carlsbadian

Espanola, NM

#3 Feb 21, 2014
Carlsbad is a nasty place to begin with, those folks deserve all they get!!!

“I ain't afraid of no ghosts.”

Since: Aug 08

Dear old mucky Drasnia

#4 Feb 21, 2014
Not quite. Radiation causes DNA mutation. DNA mutation can cause uncontrolled cellular growth, which is what cancer is.

On the flip side, it can also damage the immune system, which could make one more susceptible to bugs, including the flu.
Yuck

Canjilon, NM

#5 Feb 21, 2014
You get more radiation from the uranium in the soil and radon in your house.
Cammy

Hobbs, NM

#7 Feb 22, 2014
spread this to your neighbors, call your commissioners
http://www.youtube.com/user/DAHBOO77/videos

Hatch, NM

#8 Feb 22, 2014
anyone willing to invest in producing a 'line of foil-hats and caps'?
Pucci

Carlsbad, NM

#9 Feb 22, 2014
I have a Geiger counter if you got the plutonium pits! Let's have a meltdown!'Cause I'm radioactive! Yes I'm radioactive! click click click click
click click click!
You would think

Artesia, NM

#10 Feb 22, 2014
They're not planning to even try to go down there and try to see what happened for at least three weeks, they're saying. I've seen rumors floating around about a ceiling collapse. I haven't seen anything substantiated about rumors of seismic activity, though.

This is not a minor deal, though. This thing was sold as foolproof and no one involved is denying that it's leaked. Things that leak often keep leaking.

Keep an eye on CEMRC, they're doing the monitoring. Also they have offered free exposure scans to everyone around here.

Plutonium, from what I've read, is heavy and does not easily float too far. Also it's very dangerous when inhaled, but other forms of exposure are much less dangerous.

Let's please try to inform ourselves with facts, to the extent that we can get them
Bob

Carlsbad, NM

#11 Feb 23, 2014
Local wealthy families profited from the WIPP, and they will be the first to get their families out of town when things get bad. The rest of us will have to stay and fry! But our local hospital is advertising a new cancer treatment facility. Unrelated to recent events?

“Each Thought Creates A Reality”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#12 Feb 23, 2014
Cock Roaches will still thrive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

courtesy of Chernobyl
Bob is a Boob

Artesia, NM

#13 Feb 23, 2014
Local wealthy families profited? Name one. The Department of Energy began their location phase back in the 70s and early 80s. The location that WIPP is situated on was originally BLM grazing land so no private landowner was bought out. The only ones whose "profited" by WIPP are those who have gained employment through it. The vast majority being middle class people (many of which were originally not from here). And I might add the public in general by not having low level radiation waste sitting above ground scattered throughout the US.

Unless you heart desire was to work and live at the CRI oil field waste site the WIPP site is a good place for this to be. Its too far from Carlsbad or Hobbs to be of any consequence.

As for new cancer center. We've had them come and go in Carlsbad for some time now. Dr. Hadzic to name one. Doctor's get bored so they leave and then come back after they see that the grass isn't always greener somewhere else. But yes, cancer is a growing concern and it has more to do with eating high calorie fast food than living in proximity to the WIPP site.
Steel Miller

New York, NY

#14 Feb 23, 2014
Yuck wrote:
You get more radiation from the uranium in the soil and radon in your house.
Yeah right!
Steel Miller

New York, NY

#15 Feb 23, 2014
Nuclear power should be banned. It would take a lunatic to use something that makes waste that is poisonous for 10,000 years.
You would think

Artesia, NM

#16 Feb 23, 2014
I have people from up north totally freaking out about this and threatening to evacuate me. I think this is coming from a lot of over-the-top Russian propaganda.

Not that being evacuated from Carlsbad doesn't have a certain appeal. But it would be pretty disruptive to just walk away from my life without taking care of business.

Anyway my guess is that this is going to drag on and on and on, and that if WIPP explodes in some manner probably someone who actually lives here will notice and point this out here on Topix. I'm counting on you guys!
Mark Kidd voter

Murfreesboro, TN

#17 Feb 24, 2014
we are watching over here in Kentucky to see what happens you all of you its not looking good so far
No Sht voter

Artesia, NM

#18 Feb 24, 2014
And we're watching you over here and think you backwoods moonshiners don't look so good either.

Hatch, NM

#19 Feb 25, 2014
Carlsbad, for people who hang out their clothes at night to dry, I've noticed a strange aura over them. Please, stay SAFE

“Each Thought Creates A Reality”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#20 Feb 25, 2014
Well they are detecting low level radiation in the air.
Stupid Liberals

New York, NY

#21 Feb 25, 2014
What level of radiation is "healthy"?(Sarcasm)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Department of Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rick Perry said something weird about being on ... 5 hr Rev Cash Dollar 3
News In deep hole, a chance for economic improvement Jan 8 rmeghan34 1
News UNL scientists facing uncertain future on clima... Jan 4 Imagine That 1
News Solar Looks to Outpace Natural Gas and Wind Dec 27 Solarman 2
News DOE Refuses To Name Employees Who Worked On Glo... Dec '16 IB DaMann 22
News Study: Warming Could Slow Upslope Migration of ... Dec '16 entrance 1
News Renewable energy to hit 9 percent of U.S. total... Nov '16 Solarman 1
More from around the web