Tsongas: More to do to help military sex-assault victims

Full story: Lowell Sun 36
While meeting wounded veterans in 2007, U.S. Rep. Niki Tsongas talked with one soldier who said she was more afraid of her fellow soldiers than the enemy. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
The Patriot

Peabody, MA

#21 Jan 14, 2011
Iron Mike wrote:
I'm not in ANY WAY condoning bad or criminal behavior toward women - including women in uniform, but…
It was Pres Jimmy Carter who expanded the role of women in our armed service - against the strong advice of combat veterans. Back then there were plenty of veterans with fresh memories of WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. Liberals wanted women to serve in EVERY branch, in EVERY job. It was seen as 'upward mobility'. Some of us warned how unrealistic, unsafe, and counter-productive that was.
But physical requirements were altered, and away we went into our brave new world. Worse, we went through periods of accelerated promotions of thoroughly un- and under-qualified women 'to make up'.
Anybody remember where BG Janis Karpinski came to light? She was one of the MOST UNQUALIFIED senior officers ever given a star. She was an empty shirt, and we paid dearly for it.
Maybe Niki should be more concerned about toughening standards,- not making things 'easier'. The bad guys are looking for easy targets – like a certain female truck driver who couldn't read a map. Anybody remember the name Jessica Lynch?
As a retired vetern I said it back then and I'll say it now what the hell are they thinking. I've worked with alot of women that could out hustle men, but that is not the point. I must fully agree with you Mike, I've seen it too many times.
McCloud

Dracut, MA

#22 Jan 14, 2011
Columbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is a truth: Ninny is a cancer.
I recon' you are right.
gun guy

Tewksbury, MA

#23 Jan 14, 2011
seeking truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Women are being sexually asssaulted on the campuses of our military academies. What's you answer to that? Bar them from West Point? When do these men who feel they have the authority and right to do this become accountable? Is it right to blame it on "fighting in a foreign land"?
It's simple, no women in the area, all you have is the DADT guys to deal with.
Lowellian

Lowell, MA

#24 Jan 14, 2011
El Cid wrote:
<quoted text>
you are, apparently, a feminist harpy. your argument is not an argument. it is hysteria
serious men are fighting serious wars around the world
you feminist harpies should save your silly issues for peace time (or, better yet, never)
You obviously have no respect for women. I'm guessing you support the right of military men to sexually assualt women because it's really the only option for you.

"Serious men are fighting serious wars around the world". What are the women doing then, you know, if they're not fighting these serious wars?
Red Ted Kennedy

Tyngsboro, MA

#25 Jan 14, 2011
Lowellian wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, given that the military is run by men, and no organization circles the wagons and covers up its own falures better than every branch of the military, I'm surprised it came out in a meeting.
And, all the posts that are making excuses for men who sexually assault women, shame on you! I don't care where they are and what the conditions of war look like. If a man cannot respect a female soldier enough to not assault her, he should be punished as if he it happened it civil society. It's simply absurd to excuse sex offender just because they're in the military.
Perhaps I could be of some assistance here.
DracutDad

Bronx, NY

#26 Jan 14, 2011
Lowellian wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, given that the military is run by men, and no organization circles the wagons and covers up its own falures better than every branch of the military, I'm surprised it came out in a meeting.
And, all the posts that are making excuses for men who sexually assault women, shame on you! I don't care where they are and what the conditions of war look like. If a man cannot respect a female soldier enough to not assault her, he should be punished as if he it happened it civil society. It's simply absurd to excuse sex offender just because they're in the military.
I would never excuse any type of sex offender.

Any and all sex offenders should be punished, swiftly and harshly. That goes double for this if it happens within the military.

The meeting was held in 2007. Where has Tsongas been on this issue since then? Waiting to see if she gets re-elected?

We should have heard about this then, not 3 years later. You can't see this?

My disgust is directed at Tsongas. I have known her for a long time, long before she was elected. She is a shallow and self-centered, self-important person.

The nurse was more afraid of her fellow soldiers than the enemy.

I'd like to know Tsongas' description of "the enemy'.
DracutDad

Bronx, NY

#27 Jan 14, 2011
seeking truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Before you start calling someone a jerk, why not look it up for yourself? This has been common knowledge for years but nothing has ever been done about it. How about at least some acknowledgement for her working to correct the issue?
Who did I call a jerk?

Any and all sex offenders should be punished, swiftly and harshly. That goes double for this if it happens within the military.

The meeting was held in 2007. Where has Tsongas been on this issue since then? Waiting to see if she gets re-elected?

My disgust is directed at Tsongas. I have known her for a long time, long before she was elected. She is a shallow and self-centered, self-important person.

seeking truth

Andover, MA

#28 Jan 14, 2011
DracutDad wrote:
<quoted text>
Who did I call a jerk?
Where has anyone been on this issue since 2007? Obviously, you don't like her, but to criticize anything she does is ridiculous. Don't vote for her, but give her due respect regarding this issue at least.
SEABEE1

Virginia Beach, VA

#29 Jan 14, 2011
gun guy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's simple, no women in the area, all you have is the DADT guys to deal with.
Odd you should mention that. Male on male sexual assaults in the military increased to seven percent last year. Alarming to say the least.
DracutDad

Bronx, NY

#30 Jan 14, 2011
seeking truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Where has anyone been on this issue since 2007? Obviously, you don't like her, but to criticize anything she does is ridiculous. Don't vote for her, but give her due respect regarding this issue at least.
Why?
DracutDad

Bronx, NY

#31 Jan 17, 2011
seeking truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said, where has she been on this since 2007? Stop sticking up for her and answer the questions.

You can't. She is a headlines grabbing bag of nothing.

SHe is awful. Why do people vote for her?

Oh that's right she's a Dem and Dem's vote blindly for a party not a person.
Gomer

Tyngsboro, MA

#32 Jan 18, 2011
Someone mentioned Tsongas' description of the enemy...

Like all liberal democrats Cingresswoman Tsongas sees terrorists as misunderstood insurgents. The enemy to her is George Bush, Sarah Palin and the over powerful US military.

This military assaults issue is total BS.
Gomer

Tyngsboro, MA

#33 Jan 18, 2011
DracutDad wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said, where has she been on this since 2007? Stop sticking up for her and answer the questions.
Perfect post. I could not agree more.
just curious

Lowell, MA

#34 Jan 19, 2011
DracutDad wrote:
<quoted text>
Where was the Commander in Chief on this in 2007? Where was the Secretary of Defense on this in 2007? Why did it take a democrat to finally talk about the need to address this?
DracutDad

Bronx, NY

#36 Jan 19, 2011
just curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Where was the Commander in Chief on this in 2007? Where was the Secretary of Defense on this in 2007? Why did it take a democrat to finally talk about the need to address this?
Typical Dem. When you have no answers blame Bush. I thought thsi was about Tsongas.

You are too funny.
No Surprise

Tyngsboro, MA

#37 Jan 19, 2011
just curious wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't need to be addressed now. This is a non issue. Sounds to me like the female wants out of the service AND want's to get a big pay day. This is merely more anti military liberal garbage.

Niki's husband was a Peace Corps commando. THEY have a real issue that Nike should deal with:

logs.abcnews.com/campuschatter/2011/01/colleg...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Department of Defense Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
dod, cpms, annette marion (all crzy fairfax cty... Dec 8 BLACKS DISCRIM ON... 1
Retired general denies any coordinated effort t... (Apr '06) Dec 7 swedenforever 27
Obama taps Pentagon veteran Ashton Carter to le... Dec 5 Hooogle It 3
Stolen classifie listening devices & thermo ima... Nov '14 Reno NV 1
Military Surplus Warehouse Opens In South Columbus Nov '14 Voted Republican 3
The Pentagon wants to Surrender to Climate Chan... Nov '14 dont drink the ko... 1
Department of Defense awards Humana Military ne... (May '09) Oct '14 Leachmark707 9
More from around the web