Obama and Romney prepare for debate showdown - US politics live

Oct 1, 2012 Full story: Guardian Unlimited 221

Mitt Romney spent the weekend in debate rehearsal and has memorized a set of 'zingers' according to his staff.

Full Story
First Prev
of 12
Next Last
CBOW

Dover, PA

#242 Oct 5, 2012
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know any career welfare recipients. I don't think I have ever met any. When you say they exist, I believe that they do, but not in gigantic numbers.
Besides it is solving the wrong problem. The problem as it presents itself, on its face is those career welfare recipients probably do not have job options. Lack of job options is the real problem. I would be happy to do mostly away with welfare (except for the disabled) if there were opportunities.
Consider if you will, Alan Greenspan's recent comments (a year or few ago). Greenspan was the head of the federal reserve bank, and he openly admitted his TOP priority was to put the brakes on the economy each and every time wages or benefits started to increase for workers. A result of this was that ALL of the benefit of increased productivity went to those at the top. Wages and benefits since this programs started have fallen, in spite of growth of the economy. Add to this policy, Reagan's stated policy that the government would not enforce laws against companies who hire illegals. This caused millions of illegals to enter the country, to work at very low wages and reduce wages for the rest of us. It is not the illegals fault, it is our own government working against us. Add to that the subsidies received by corporations who ship jobs overseas. Add to that the Free trade agreements which effectively remove the ability to manufacture in America.
These policies, combined have had the effect of flooding the labor market so that wages and benefits fall. Labor becomes lower costs for big corporations who can then funnel the extra profit into their own pockets. It is re-distribution of our wealth as a government policy.
So our own government has intentionally put people out of work, and therefore has some responsibility to them. I would leave welfare for people in place till the effects of those policies can be reversed. However, I would remove the bigger factor of welfare for corporations.
So the way I would change the welfare programs is by bringing back jobs; restoring opportunity. Let people have a chance and most of welfare for people would go away.
Inner city, like Baltimore, is a prime example of a vast collection of the "career welfare recipient". I agree completely with everything you said, government is our own worst enemy. It does indeed intentionally stifle growth. Who gains from this? Mostly the politicians and investors. Have you ever heard the saying "too many chiefs and not enough braves"? Over the past 20 years, college attendance sky rocketed. With that came an explosion of individuals who refused to work a manual labor job, that paired with technology, and we have an entire generation who believe they are "too educated" to work manual labor. Along with the global economy and the "inside deals" generated by our governments with "other" governments, you have a recipe for wage reduction. Walmart receives 3.4 million (billion?) a year from our government because they are the largest employer worldwide. They are graced with this subsidy because they take the withholding taxes from the employees and provide hiring data and consumer data. That's how the government gets their "figures" to peddle to the media every day. It's what drives the stock market, which our politicians are up to their a--holes in. I am all for opportunities being returned to this country, I am a manufacturer. To pay a living wage to everyone, this country is going to have to realize that dependency programs(welfare, obamacare, foreign aid, corporate subsidies, bailouts, earmarks, etc.) are causing taxes to escalate in every facet of what we consume. It's a vicious cycle with no end.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Democrat Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min DBWriter 1,192,504
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min loose cannon 185,100
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 5 min Calvin_Coolish 172,352
House committee subpoenas Clinton emails in Ben... 6 min Le Duped 4
Veteran Democratic Sen. Mikulski won't seek re-... 8 min Le Duped 20
Kirsten Gillibrand joins filmmakers to fight ca... 12 min Sick of Being Played 4
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 23 min GayleWood 57,987
More from around the web