It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103292 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Since: Oct 07

Blue Ridge Mountains

#100053 Feb 14, 2013
Guppy wrote:
Has anyone bought any cool guns lately?
Does anyone know Ziggy's phone number? I want to call him because he hasn't been around. Maybe his wife shot him and buried him in the backyard.
I care.
Not lately.

My wife is a pacifist like you. She gave up her gun when she married me.

Sorry I have been remiss. Busy busy busy.

If congress really wanted to help, they would designate a 30 hour day.

Since: Feb 11

Cambridge, UK

#100055 Feb 14, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Sometimes yes and sometimes no.
Still want to do business?
Sorry but the delay was so long I invested a little effort in an alternative venture,,pulled a number of benifactors in.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

#100056 Feb 14, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Too late! the Kooks already have them and they ARE law abiding citizens....
US citizens have purchased over 65 millions firearms since Obama became President.

According to you, we should be having blood in the streets.

Yet the murder rate in the US continues to fall, and since 2007, has fallen below the rate of murder we had in the 1960's, prior to the Gun Ban known as the Gun Control Act of 1968.

This was when anyone could buy a gun anywhere and carry it to almost anywhere they wanted to.

You could even buy guns thru the mail.

The murder rate when anyone could buy a gun was less than 5 per 100k.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_Uni...

Now that almost every state allows people to carry a gun almost anywhere (except the gun free zones you insane people created where all the kids keep getting killed) we have finally gotten back to the point where few people are being murdered.

So, wise one, please explain how guns are the problem if we have added 65 million guns to the "right hands" and the murder rate just keeps dropping.

Or scurry away like you always do when confronted with facts.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

#100058 Feb 14, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry but the delay was so long I invested a little effort in an alternative venture,,pulled a number of benifactors in.
Hey Spider, I found out why the UK has an artificially low murder rate.

They don't count murders until all the appeals are exhausted.
http://extranosalley.com/...

The newspapers there say they had almost 5000 "violent fatalities of interest to police".
Which gives a rate of less than 5 per 100k.

And we have 300 million more guns.

This guy has a pretty good site. A lot of well referenced posts on the insanity of the gun control nuts.

If we counted murders like that in the US, we would have one of the lowest murder rates in the world.

Here is another tidbit.

Black people make up about 13% of the US population.

They make up over half of the murder victims.

93% of the black murder victims were killed by another black person.

If we removed 13% of the population, our murder rate would immediately drop to European rates.

As a white guy, I recognize my biggest danger is getting into a car, and living with insane fools who love to give away rights they do not understand or fear.

Cambridge, UK

#100059 Feb 14, 2013
HollybytheSea wrote:
<quoted text>Does scammer No1 have any friends? Ihf he does they all deserve each other.
No friends, just accomplices ,,although they deserve each other and what's coming.

Cambridge, UK

#100061 Feb 14, 2013
Guppy wrote:
Has anyone bought any cool guns lately?
Does anyone know Ziggy's phone number? I want to call him because he hasn't been around. Maybe his wife shot him and buried him in the backyard.
I care.
No,,but I recently completed the restoration of my matched pair.

Why on earth would Ziggy's wife do such a thing ???? Did you shoot your partner and put them in the backyard ?

Cambridge, UK

#100062 Feb 14, 2013
Guppy wrote:
So that guy shot his girlfriend in South Africa.
That wasn't very nice.
It's just too easy to shoot your girlfriend when she is getting on your nerves.
Guns kill.
I remember a story about a man who shot his wife in the yet.

Cambridge, UK

#100063 Feb 14, 2013
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
Not lately.
Hello Ziggy,, welcome back.
rider

Gwinn, MI

#100064 Feb 14, 2013
The Turner Diaries the NRA Bible
----------
Author: William Pierce (as Andrew Macdonald), leader of the neo-Nazi National Alliance
Published: 1978
Publisher: Previously, the book was only available through the National Alliance's National Vanguard Press, but Barricade Books, a small independent publisher, began publishing it in 1996.
Premise: The diaries of Earl Turner, member of an underground white supremacist army, provide an inside account of an Aryan revolution that overturns the United States government in the near future.
Tone: Lurid, violent, apocalyptic, misogynistic, racist and anti-Semitic
Notable sequence: Turner's guerrilla unit detonates a homemade bomb at FBI headquarters, killing hundreds - a passage that came to be seen as foreshadowing, and as an inspiration to, Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh.
Influence: One of the most widely read and cited books on the far-right; it has explicitly influenced, among others, The Order, the Aryan Republican Army, The New Order, Timothy McVeigh.
Timeline: 1991 - Turner's diaries begin; 1993 - Turner's last entry, his successful suicide bombing of the Pentagon; 1999 - Aryan forces triumph, the New Era begins; 2099 - the narrator "publishes" Turner's diaries.

Cambridge, UK

#100066 Feb 14, 2013
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Spider, I found out why the UK has an artificially low murder rate.
They don't count murders until all the appeals are exhausted.
http://extranosalley.com/...
The newspapers there say they had almost 5000 "violent fatalities of interest to police".
Which gives a rate of less than 5 per 100k.
And we have 300 million more guns.
This guy has a pretty good site. A lot of well referenced posts on the insanity of the gun control nuts.
If we counted murders like that in the US, we would have one of the lowest murder rates in the world.
Here is another tidbit.
Black people make up about 13% of the US population.
They make up over half of the murder victims.
93% of the black murder victims were killed by another black person.
If we removed 13% of the population, our murder rate would immediately drop to European rates.
As a white guy, I recognize my biggest danger is getting into a car, and living with insane fools who love to give away rights they do not understand or fear.
I realise that your as shocked and stunned as anyone would be ;-)

To think that a fine old and long established system, run by the finest gentlemen one could wish for, with their generosity and reputation for fair play should stoop to such devious methods, in order to pull the wool over the increasing flock of sheep, I know it's hard to believe.

As you rightly say, not all murders here are counted,,nor do they all make it into the media, this of course paints a pretty picture to sell to the suckers here and abroad.

Most people fail to understand the need to defend their rights, untill it's to late.
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#100067 Feb 14, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember a story about a man who shot his wife in the yet.
He shot her in the yet? Must have hurt. What is a yet?

I hope she shot him back.
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#100068 Feb 14, 2013
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you mean the guy who was one of the first in Hollywood to walk with MLK fighting for rights you are to ignorant to understand?
You certainly have pains, but dealing with the truth is not one of them.
Movie stars do that sort of thing when they want publicity. He didn't care about MLK.

Cambridge, UK

#100069 Feb 14, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
He shot her in the yet? Must have hurt. What is a yet?
I hope she shot him back.
I thought I knew the various parts of the female anatomy, so was puzzled myself.

According to the report I saw, although doctors had tried they hadn't removed the bullet from her yet ;-)
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#100070 Feb 14, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
No,,but I recently completed the restoration of my matched pair.
Why on earth would Ziggy's wife do such a thing ???? Did you shoot your partner and put them in the backyard ?
Ziggy's wife wanted to get rid of him and that was the easiest thing to do, AND she gets to keep the house. Her new boyfriend will enjoy living there.

Did I shoot my partner? Didn't know I had one. IF I did, I would probably try it and not get away with it. Just my luck.
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#100071 Feb 14, 2013
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
Not lately.
Why did she give up her gun? That's surprising. Do you know what's really surprising? She married you. How strange is that?
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#100072 Feb 14, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
What?! We were supposed to have a meeting to discuss the particulars. I am very surprised at you. I could have made you a very rich man.

I was thinking of getting an MBA from Harvard or Wharton, but I can see it won't do me any good. Can't believe you backed out.

Sigh.

Cambridge, UK

#100073 Feb 14, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Ziggy's wife wanted to get rid of him and that was the easiest thing to do, AND she gets to keep the house. Her new boyfriend will enjoy living there.
Did I shoot my partner? Didn't know I had one. IF I did, I would probably try it and not get away with it. Just my luck.
Im inclinde to think Ziggy's wife may well count herself amongst the safest women in the US,,she allready has the house,, any potential new guy that doesen't have his own home is a double step back for any gal.

Cambridge, UK

#100074 Feb 14, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
What?! We were supposed to have a meeting to discuss the particulars. I am very surprised at you. I could have made you a very rich man.
I was thinking of getting an MBA from Harvard or Wharton, but I can see it won't do me any good. Can't believe you backed out.
Sigh.
Nothing personell, just business.
Just Wondering

Oakland, CA

#100075 Feb 14, 2013
Spocko wrote:
A GOPer’s logic:
John Kerry, served in Vietnam, was wounded three times, received 3 purple hearts, a bronze star and a silver star – he is labeled a “traitor”!
Ted Nugent, a loudmouth rocker, crapped in his pants to avoid military service but sleeps with an AR-15 next to his bed, verbally threatened the president’s life – he is labeled a “patriot”!
And yes, they want to govern the United States of America ... any questions?
Not only did the Secret Service investigate him but they interrogated the bloody fool for making threats against the President of the United States and members of his cabinet. Quote:“our president and attorney general, our vice president and Hillary Clinton, they’re criminals. We’re Americans because we defied the king ... we are patriots. We are Braveheart, we need to ride into that battlefield and chop their heads off come November.” We are talking about a guy who is bragging of riding into a battlefield when in fact he soiled his pants to avoid the draft – there is a genuine rightwing hero!!!!
no can do

Australia

#100076 Feb 14, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
I realise that your as shocked and stunned as anyone would be ;-)
To think that a fine old and long established system, run by the finest gentlemen one could wish for, with their generosity and reputation for fair play should stoop to such devious methods, in order to pull the wool over the increasing flock of sheep, I know it's hard to believe.
As you rightly say, not all murders here are counted,,nor do they all make it into the media, this of course paints a pretty picture to sell to the suckers here and abroad.
Most people fail to understand the need to defend their rights, untill it's to late.
"fine old and long established system, run by the fnest gentlemen"??; "generosity and fair play"???. May I ask what are you talking about.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Democrat Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Jimmy 1,656,804
News Trump accusers call for congressional investiga... 8 min Minnesota Mike 60
News New Mexico school shooting leaves 2 students, s... 8 min FAX 75
News Trump says US 'cannot afford' Roy Moore loss in... 27 min Lawrence Wolf 85
News Countdown clock ticking for Trump, Republicans 33 min Lawrence Wolf 25
News Former OKC Mayor blames homosexuality for moral... 49 min Imprtnrd 88
News Pelosi's claim the House GOP is 'inviting' viol... 55 min okimar 2
More from around the web