It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103297 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Since: Jan 11

Abingdon, VA

#83989 Dec 7, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
You know I can't do that..
9,000 poor souls dead...because of guns.
What a waste.
Did you ever factor in the population differences with your two examples and the USA? Also, do they have a subculture created by government like we have?
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#83990 Dec 7, 2012
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
And no matter how many times you repeat the same tired line, it still doesn't make it true. Those people were NOT killed BY a gun. They were killed with a gun BY A PERSON.
BAN CRIMINALS!!
You can word it anyway you want.

The fact is......9,000 people were killed by guns last year. That's 9,000 in ONE year.

Ban criminals? Ban people who own guns. That's a better idea.

Don't understand your mindset.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#83991 Dec 7, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you ever factor in the population differences with your two examples and the USA? Also, do they have a subculture created by government like we have?
Who are THEY?

How bout them Eagles?
X Obama Supporter

Coffeyville, KS

#83992 Dec 7, 2012
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
And no matter how many times you repeat the same tired line, it still doesn't make it true. Those people were NOT killed BY a gun. They were killed with a gun BY A PERSON.
BAN CRIMINALS!!
Does that number include those that were killed in the process of committing a crime? Does it include the number saved by those that were able to defend and protect themselves? Useless number.

You can't reason with those that think crime will down if you ban guns, they don't get that criminals don't follow gun laws....they are a special kind of stupid.
Saved by HIS Grace

Knoxville, TN

#83993 Dec 7, 2012
The Stupidity of Gun control supporters. Kid shoots a kid okay lets get rid of guns. BOOM WOW FIXED NO GUNS.... Kid has no gun but finds a knife stabs kid,,,knives gotta go too... kid has no guns or knives humm lets find a stick and club other kid,, well thats it!!! trees have to go!.... AWWW safe world no knives n guns n clubs OH NO!!!!!! kid fell down steps and broke neck. STAIRS ARE EVIL THEY HAVE TO GO AWAY!!!!!! CARWRECK? what do you mean CARWRECK? oh i get ya :) CARS have to be gone!! Slipped in the snow and ice and died? Thats it winters are out of here......heat stroke? humm spring and fall okay?? oh good thank you :)......Attacked by pit bulls, this is a easy one lets just kill all the dogs. Finally safe world :)..... WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT ISNT SAFE YET???!!?!?? plane crashes drug overdoses tornados sworm of hampsters attack!!! and snake bites..... Well im confused then? WHY ARE THEY ONLY AFTER OUR GUNS? and the point and laugh part of all this is :) Most of those lets ban guns to support human life people also support abortion. Hummm? Can you say Oxymoron?
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#83994 Dec 7, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
What Australians have done this day, just in case you hadn't heard....the potential to engineer a vacine is now on the cards...think of all the lives this can save.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2008-07-09/scienti...
It's about time they discovered something.

It was probably an American Pharmaceutical company. They discover everything. Gifted scientists/researchers.

Do they have anything else in the pipeline? ONE DRUG? Well, I guess it's better than nothing. Sigh.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#83995 Dec 7, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ill risk it,,,touch what with a ten foot pole ?
Pretty funny answer.

You sleep deprived?
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#83996 Dec 7, 2012
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh. I get it. You see the numbers, just cannot add them up accurately enough to save your ass.
Grasping at straws, again?

My ass doesn't need saving.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#83997 Dec 7, 2012
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
That's all you do: Toss a load of shit, and hope it sticks to the wall.
Well, guess what? NOTHING you've tossed lately is sticking! Rather all you've tossed is runny shit, i.e., diarrhea, and it STINKS to high blue heaven!
If YOU knew ANYTHING about 'prescription drugs, you'd be so bloody damned ashamed of yourself, that you'd go hide your EFF'N head in shame!
Drugs, YOU COMPLETE IDIOT, don't do ANYTHING positive. Rather, they DESTROY the body in the name of 'saving' it.
Yes, that's all I do. How about you?

Prescription drugs? No, I don't know one bloody thing about them, EXCEPT they SAVE lives every single day. You would be the first person crying your eyes out if you were sick (OH) or in pain and you couldn't get your hands on them.

They do more good than harm. YOU should be ashamed of yourself.

IF THEY DESTROYED THE BODY ~ WE WOULD ALL BE DEAD. EVEN YOU WOULD AGREE WITH THAT. KNOWING YOU, YOU'LL THINK OF SOMETHING STUPID TO SAY.

Do you actually know what goes into getting a drug approved? No? Thought so.

Researchers work for years and years to produce just One drug ~ to save your arse.

Anything else?
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#83998 Dec 7, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe people think deeply enough or realise that to hate a guy because they are an Arab or Jewish or black or hispanic or Indian etc, they are being hateful to all.....they just never realise when they have a go at Obama because of his heritage or his colour that, that is being a racist...because it's ok he's their President or they call someone a black bastard or whatever that their excuse is they are not racist because they don't hate the black children or their whole race simply because they sling off at one....When people are threatened job being taken away from them by another group....they will always use the race card... in war they did it with the Germans the Japanese and the Jews, in your country it's the Indians and the Negro's and Muslims(not a race) arabs, ours it's everyone, because we like to be equal...racism is everywhere....
Spew much?

I have heard from someone who moved to your wonderful country that you guys are super racist. The person who said that was appalled.

Let's call a spade ~ a spade.

Aborigine? That was outrageous. You actually stole these kids away from their families and abused them over and over again. Abso disgusting.

Oh, but you're not racist.

Keep the lies coming ~ If it makes you feel better about what YOU Did.

Abingdon, VA

#84000 Dec 7, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Who are THEY?
How bout them Eagles?
"Who are THEY?"

The people going around shooting each other in North Philly.:-)

They should ban cars from the Roosevelt Blvd. Too many Frogger games there.

Considering they are playing with their rookies, the Eagles are doing as much as expected. The defense sucks.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#84001 Dec 7, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
A. Ho ~ you need to calm yourself down. You'll blow a gasket!
A: Wishful thinking on your part!
It's still called Due Diligence. Don't you all feel likes fools because you believed a bunch of lies? Now that was pathetic.
A:Well the next time someone drops your buildings don't be surprised if no one offers you any sympathy.
I am TOTALLY AGAINST WAR. I think it is sinful.
A: Cry on your own time.
We can stand on our own? Shrug.
A: Yeah, when have you ever done that!
Fat pigs? Do you really think ALL Americans are Fat Pigs? You exaggerate to prove a silly point.
A: Yes.......http://www.ncbi.nlm. nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC300778 /
Babies on stakes? Now that is sick. You should be ashamed of yourself. You have a strange mind.
A: I can imagine when steaks aren't big enough for you, you will eat anything including your young.
Biggest, fattest and loudest? Why do y'all suck up to us if you don't like us. I can guarantee you ~ most Americans don't even give you a second thought.
A: most of us don't like you...they are just very polite and diplomatic, you know like not poking fun at the fat kid.
You should be proud of your country. I am.
A: I know why I am proud of my country, because I accept it's minuses as well as our pluses with good grace, but you have a lot more work to do before you can say you have pride in yours.
WW2? Did anyone really win? Does anyone ever win? It just ends.
A: Ask the yanks...they did it all on their own I heard.....go figure.
Are you saying ~ you feel your politicians are honest? Smile. If you say
Yes ~ I would then have to call you delusional. Get a grip. I have news for you.
A: No if anything totally the oposite, there are no honest pollies didn't you know....but we are educated enough and supportive enough of our system that we keep trying to get a good one....
How would you know what the diggers are doing in other countries? You know for a fact ~ they have NEVER killed an innocent person. If you say Yes, again ~ you are beyond delusional. I will know that you are a liar.
A: I think if our boys had done what you had done in My Lei and Afghanistan we would have heard about it....or do they only report on the atrocities yanks commit overseas...a tad naive their fish....
I truly think the top military guys are quite bright. Not too bright with certain women, but...
Have you spoken to them?...I didn't think so...but like you I have seen what they have done.....actions speak louder than words...
FYI ~ Not All Americans Want To Go To War. Horrible waste of lives and money. You must agree with that.
A: Just not enough of them....
Awaiting your reply. If you dare.
Cheers.
A. Ho,
You are lying when you say your Boys never killed an innocent person. If you were in Vietnam ~ you killed tons of innocent people. Beyond sad what you did to the Vietnamese. They had almost nothing, but you destroyed it.

Sympathy for Americans? You had a few Austrailians in the buildings. You only cared about them. You could care less about Americans. Sympathy? My foot.

Military guys? The top military guys are brilliant. I don't need to defend them. It's obvious to everyone, but you.

There you go again about babies. One track mind. Yes, if one steak isn't enough, we will have two and three for dinner and wash it down with a cold beer or two or.........Protein ~ Yum!
Leave the babies out of it. That's sick.

Most of you don't like us. Prejudiced? Glad you admitted to it.

Just because we are the heaviest ~ doesn't mean we are fat. It's all relative. So what? It's our brains and our ability to work very hard ~ that's what counts.

Oh, and our hearts. Americans are very generous with their money. When someone needs help ~ they are always there with their wallets open. Generous lot.

You are so defensive. Makes me wonder.

Hope you like living in no mans land.

Crocodile Dundee. Your claim to fame!

Put one on the barbie, mate!
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#84002 Dec 7, 2012
where is my post?

I thought it was brilliant.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#84003 Dec 7, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
"Who are THEY?"
The people going around shooting each other in North Philly.:-)
They should ban cars from the Roosevelt Blvd. Too many Frogger games there.
Considering they are playing with their rookies, the Eagles are doing as much as expected. The defense sucks.
Roosevelt Blvd? Haven't been on that road in a very long time.

Guess you like Michael Vick?

Watched the local news last night. Something I rarely do. There were two shootings. One in NE Philly and the other one ~ can't remember. Keeps the hospitals busy. I have been told that if you get shot you should go to Temple. They are the experts! FYI, ha.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#84004 Dec 7, 2012
hahahahhahahah~that was funny~if i may say so myself...

too funny ~

forgot to mention politicians...was she saying the austrailian politicians were honest?

?????????? Don't think so. Although, Ms Gillard seems sincere. Kind of like her.
I know she lied ONCE, but everyone can make a mistake.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#84005 Dec 7, 2012
Jesus ~ everyone is in hiding when the big guns come out.

Abingdon, VA

#84006 Dec 7, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Roosevelt Blvd? Haven't been on that road in a very long time.
Guess you like Michael Vick?
Watched the local news last night. Something I rarely do. There were two shootings. One in NE Philly and the other one ~ can't remember. Keeps the hospitals busy. I have been told that if you get shot you should go to Temple. They are the experts! FYI, ha.
No, I don't like Vick.

Temple is up near that area.:-)

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#84007 Dec 7, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact is......9,000 people were killed by guns last year. That's 9,000 in ONE year.
I will word it in a way that is factually accurate, thanks.

You should try doing the same. They were not killed BY a gun. they were killed BY a criminal. Period.

Oh, and by the way, over 89 Million gun owners didn't murder anyone last year.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#84008 Dec 7, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Do yourself a favor then. The next time you need help...do NOT call 9-1-1. Why?? Because bad men WITH GUNS will show up and want to help you. And since guns are the root of all evil (according to you), we wouldn't want you to have a heart-attack or stroke because a gun is near. Really...it's for your own good.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#84009 Dec 7, 2012
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
I will word it in a way that is factually accurate, thanks.
You should try doing the same. They were not killed BY a gun. they were killed BY a criminal. Period.
Oh, and by the way, over 89 Million gun owners didn't murder anyone last year.
The 89 million gun owners were probably hiding under their beds too afraid to come out.

Repercussions. That's what stopped them.

Cheerio

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Democrat Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Incognito4Ever 1,522,053
News Under Trump, ICE arrests soar for migrants with... 3 min Chicagoan by Birth 214
News Attorney General doesn't realize Hawaii is a state 4 min spud 323
News Tax Day marches aim to pressure Trump to releas... 21 min Foxy 309
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 21 min Limbertwig 265,236
News Lawmakers: Former Trump aide Flynn may have bro... 51 min Marine Corp Pat 1
News Comments 1 hr Julia 48
More from around the web