It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103296 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#83968 Dec 6, 2012
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU COMPLETE and TOTAL EFFING IDIOT!
Estrogen DOES NOT 'counter' high levels of testosterone, YOU BLAZING IDIOT!
SHOW ME, and EVERYONE ELSE here, by way of REFERENCED medical papers, where any such 'therapy' is, or has been, recommended.
You'll do that, won't you?
I think you have litterally gone mad...nope I know it...hehe... was it because of me?:)

Perth, Australia

#83969 Dec 6, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
IS everone a racist ? I had not realised I was unique, perhaps it will catch on if I work hard.
You're just not scratching hard enough...

Since: Feb 11

Sutton, UK

#83970 Dec 7, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
You're just not scratching hard enough...
Oh I have had the surface scratched, infact I would go as far as to say chunks have been knocked out,,still don't consider myself racist, for that I would have to dislike a complete race instead of individuals.
Dr Freud

Netherlands

#83971 Dec 7, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you have litterally gone mad...nope I know it...hehe... was it because of me?:)
The idea of 'madness' is directly attributed to YOUR OWN psychology, inasmuch as YOU ARE in DENIAL, being psychotic neurotic, as I've pointed out priorly, not a few times.

Perth, Australia

#83972 Dec 7, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I have had the surface scratched, infact I would go as far as to say chunks have been knocked out,,still don't consider myself racist, for that I would have to dislike a complete race instead of individuals.
I don't believe people think deeply enough or realise that to hate a guy because they are an Arab or Jewish or black or hispanic or Indian etc, they are being hateful to all.....they just never realise when they have a go at Obama because of his heritage or his colour that, that is being a racist...because it's ok he's their President or they call someone a black bastard or whatever that their excuse is they are not racist because they don't hate the black children or their whole race simply because they sling off at one....When people are threatened job being taken away from them by another group....they will always use the race card... in war they did it with the Germans the Japanese and the Jews, in your country it's the Indians and the Negro's and Muslims(not a race) arabs, ours it's everyone, because we like to be equal...racism is everywhere....

Perth, Australia

#83973 Dec 7, 2012
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
The idea of 'madness' is directly attributed to YOUR OWN psychology, inasmuch as YOU ARE in DENIAL, being psychotic neurotic, as I've pointed out priorly, not a few times.
Doc!...you need professional medical help NOW! and I am being serious.... I think your last rants have proved you are more than a little unhinged....get help.

Perth, Australia

#83974 Dec 7, 2012
What Australians have done this day, just in case you hadn't heard....the potential to engineer a vacine is now on the cards...think of all the lives this can save.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2008-07-09/scienti...

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#83975 Dec 7, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
9,000 people were murdered by Guns in one year! That is the bottom line. You can moan and groan, but it doesn't change the facts.
Ban guns
Look at the UK and Japan/no guns = no deaths. Very few deaths. Why are the American's so fearful and the rest of the world is not.
And no matter how many times you repeat the same tired line, it still doesn't make it true. Those people were NOT killed BY a gun. They were killed with a gun BY A PERSON.

BAN CRIMINALS!!

Southeast Virginia

#83976 Dec 7, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Well let's see, he was driving around in his car when he spotted trayvon, he rang police and got out of the car while still talking to the police on the phone.....then there was a altecation and Trayvon was shot...which sugests that he had the gun on his person when he got out of the car...if he did not then he has not grounds for the stand your ground law because it means that he got away from the "life in danger situation" by being able to get back to his car, and instead of driving away he grabbed his gun turned around and went after trayvon again and shot him which puts the crime as one of premeditation...It's elementary Watson.
The only "facts" that you have above that is actually backed by any evidence is that he had a gun on his person and that he had an altercation with Martin. Who approached who, who initiated the conversation between the two (short as it was), etc., is ALL SPECULATION with no evidence to support it. And this is not being tried as a SYG case, Sherlock. It is a self-defense case.

Come back when you have some actual evidence to your accusations.

Southeast Virginia

#83977 Dec 7, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
You shouldn't be obtuse Teaman it doesn't suit you.....Zimmerman was identifying himself as a white man by the privilage money had assured him, else he would live like most white hispanics ...not in a gated, middle class, predominantly white community, his community (white hispanic) would envy him but class him as a sell out.
WOW! Bigoted much???

Southeast Virginia

#83978 Dec 7, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you actually say I implied...mmmm....I clearly stated as I always do that Zimmerman was attemting to be white...not that he was wrong..or that living in the area was wrong...except seen by those of his white hispanic community....everyone's a racist....
And ^that^ is nothing but pure PROJECTION, you racist POS.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Since: Oct 07

Blue Ridge Mountains

#83980 Dec 7, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
I CAN'T BELIEVE THE WAY YOU TALK TO ME! It really freaks me out. I may have to talk to someone if you continue to chip away at me. Darn you!
Guns are not allowed in that church? I don't get the connection. You certainly can show up with a gun stuffed in your underwear. Can't you?
I never said gun control keeps guns out of BAD peoples hands. What? Guns are everywhere. Even the big bad man can get his hands on one. Ya?
England? They buy the guns from other criminals. Duh?
Jesus ~ you are pathetic.
Oh. I get it. You see the numbers, just cannot add them up accurately enough to save your ass.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

#83981 Dec 7, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
I think with the new evidence provided show of an altercation though it doesn't clear Zimmerman of second degree murder...because like Dunn they were the people that provoked the issue in the first place. The stand your ground law is wearing a bit thin...with predominantly white perps, attacking black or hispanics and saying it was because they felt threatened, when it was them that caused the threat in the first place. I think Zimmerman thought he was a tough guy and tried it on with this kid, because he lived in the community and he felt the need to play policeman, the kid took issue to this and an altercation occurred and Zimmeran shot the kid in cold blood because all of a sudden he wasn't the tough guy and longer...just some idiot who thought he had the right to challenge another unarmed black kid daring to be in his community....He is a murderer plain and simple.
What you say has merit, and indeed Zimmerman may be a wannabe cop.

My question to you is, when do you give up the right to defend yourself from someone trying to kill you?

There are specifics in the law here in NC. I am interested in your opinion.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

#83982 Dec 7, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
The photo of his bloody head.....which is new to me, probably did it himself after he shot the kid and before the cops arrived, that is why it wasn't produced sooner!
The photo of the bloody head was available a couple of weeks after the incident. You just won't see it on the liberal news. I found it on a UK source. The liberal news had already plastered the low res photos that did not show wounds to prove their point.
The liberal news hates it when it gets caught in a lie.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

#83983 Dec 7, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually we can have a fireare just not an AK 47 or any of the other guns best suited to a war zone...unlike America that is making itself a war zone by allowing such weapons to be owned by anyone not fighting the war in Afghanistan.
Um, we have very little problems with people using guns that look like assautl weapons here. Most are cheap pistols that the thugs use to shoot each other.

Post another example of "assault guns" being used in the US, other than the theater shooter.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#83984 Dec 7, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
I will admitt not requiring much in the way of sleep is'nt the norm, however I find it odd that some require so much. I like to keep busy.
You didnt buy one four years ago ? are you talking about riots or something else ?.
Why do you like to keep busy?

Something else, but it was kind of a very small riot.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

#83985 Dec 7, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
That is pure speculation on your part, the kid lost his life because this guy wanted to be a bossy boots...if he had a problem with the kid he could have called the police...his life wasn't in danger .....his actions alone put his life in danger....so if the kid had of beat him to a pulp it would have been his own fault.
Hmmm.

We speculate that the thug banging Z's head on the sidewalk will kill Z, and you call that pure speculation.

You specualte that Z somehow confronted the thug until he was provoked enough to attack Z, and you have no evidence, and you call our theory "pure speculation".

We base our guess on known facts, you base you guess on things you made up.

Hmmm.

I go with the facts.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#83986 Dec 7, 2012
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
NAME just ONE gun, i.e., make, model, and serial number, which murdered anyone, or anything.
GOT DATA?
You know I can't do that..

9,000 poor souls dead...because of guns.

What a waste.
Guppy

Gadsden, AL

#83987 Dec 7, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
That is true...everyone is after the oil in those regions, though that is not what I am talking about...the CIA convinced your government and mine that Iraq had WMDs...our intelligence agency told our PM that they had no evidence of such a thing so our goverment thought the CIA and American government had more spies on the ground and went the way of America's intelligence as I presume did yours....we were railroaded...pure and simple and we never saw it coming, they were so convincing because of the aftermath and anger over 911 we backed down out of respect for what they had just suffered...and I know that because everyone here was horified at what happened to the point everyone wanted to get the SOBs responsible and all our goverments use that against us......never again.
Excuses/Excuses

Can't take the blame, can you?

Own up to it.

Y'all screwed up royally.

Now you are blaming the USA.

Stop sucking up.

It's humiliating.

It took you YEARS to find out you were duped? Ah.....don't believe it.

Johnny, why did you hit that poor little boy? Mum! They told me to! Johnny! Think for yourself! Don't be pushed around! But, Mum! I was too stupid to know better! You just wanted to impress your friends! Admit it! You're right mum! I wanted to be one of the boys! Grow up Johnny and take the blame! OK mum.....Shaking head.

Since: Jan 11

Abingdon, VA

#83988 Dec 7, 2012
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
And you are naive.
I'm naive!? I live here. You live on the other side of the earth reading left wing garbage. Some of the better neighborhoods here in my area are predominantly black. Retired government, cops, military, small business owners.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Democrat Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min sonicfilter 1,565,111
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min Dr Guru 242,272
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 6 min Julia 279,789
News Donald Trump's lawyers seek to undercut Mueller... 13 min bottlecap 73
News House to consider ban on transgender surgery fo... 49 min Dee Dee Dee 188
News Democrats Announce Bipartisan Agreement on Sanc... 1 hr RushFan666 18
News GOP favor dropping tax beneficial to blue states 1 hr CodeTalker 1
More from around the web