Mexican growers urge new tomato pact as Florida group digs in

There are 11 comments on the Reuters story from Sep 18, 2012, titled Mexican growers urge new tomato pact as Florida group digs in. In it, Reuters reports that:

Mexican tomato growers are urging the U.S. Commerce Department to renegotiate a 16-year-old tomato trade agreement with the United States, rather than give into election-year pressure from Florida producers and lawmakers to tear up the pact.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Reuters.

Since: Dec 07

Clermont, Florida

#1 Sep 18, 2012
I vote with Florida! Why should our farmers have to compete with Mexico for our crops? We want HOME-GROWN!
Ed Ortiz

AOL

#2 Sep 18, 2012
Most Americans prefer tomatoes that aren't fertilized with human feces and slathered with pesticides illegal in the US like they use in mexico.

It should be a felony to sell any produce from mexico in the United States..We don't want your filthy crap...Sell it to china, cuba, egypt or iran. We dont' want it.

“Proud To Be An American”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#3 Sep 19, 2012
Unfortunately the chain store Mexico tomatoes I purchased went directly to the compost bin. Get your tomatoes from a neighbor, farmer or grow your own...

“JESUS WOULD IMPEACH THE GOP!!!”

Since: May 09

Lake Success, N.Y.

#4 Sep 19, 2012
Dismayed wrote:
I vote with Florida! Why should our farmers have to compete with Mexico for our crops? We want HOME-GROWN!
Simply put - people wan't to pay less. I'm all for American grown, but will the price jump dramatically?

“I'd rather be snowmobiling”

Since: Oct 07

8120'

#5 Sep 19, 2012
"There's only 2 things that money can't buy, and that's true love & homegrown tomatoes." ~John Prine
Tony

Broken Arrow, OK

#6 Sep 19, 2012
Mexicans water their tomatoes by urinating on them. They then sell them to Americans to eat.
Stop the Madness

Waterbury, CT

#7 Sep 19, 2012
Dismayed wrote:
And not laden with ecoli.

Since: Dec 07

Clermont, Florida

#8 Sep 20, 2012
TonyT1961 wrote:
<quoted text>
Simply put - people wan't to pay less. I'm all for American grown, but will the price jump dramatically?
If it does, we'll either pay it or won't buy it. If we stop buying, the prices will become reasonable. Supply and demand...

Lake Success, N.Y.

#9 Sep 20, 2012
Dismayed wrote:
<quoted text>
If it does, we'll either pay it or won't buy it. If we stop buying, the prices will become reasonable. Supply and demand...
True. We'll have to see.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#10 Sep 20, 2012
TonyT1961 wrote:
<quoted text>
I get 5 baseball sized tomatoes for $3 at the local farmer's market.

Lake Success, N.Y.

#11 Sep 20, 2012
Bama Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
I get 5 baseball sized tomatoes for $3 at the local farmer's market.
Cool!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Democrat Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min Rogue Scholar 05 189,826
News Gay marriage (Mar '13) 51 min Rosa_Winkel 59,897
News Riots in Baltimore raise questions about police... 1 hr louigi 2,154
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr Yeah 1,232,567
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 hr Crow__ 182,361
News Cleveland protests erupt after officer found no... 4 hr Pope Out To Pasture 24
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 hr OzRitz 53,486
More from around the web