Prescription drug cases plague Tennessee

Prescription drug cases plague Tennessee

There are 196 comments on the WBIR Knoxville story from Feb 2, 2007, titled Prescription drug cases plague Tennessee. In it, WBIR Knoxville reports that:

The pharmacy sting that led to the arrests of Williamson County, TN Sheriff Ricky Headley and three others highlights a drug problem that some law-enforcement officials say is growing - the illegal distribution ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBIR Knoxville.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Allen

Clinton, TN

#1 Feb 2, 2007
Its a shame that some people have screwed up their "real world" so bad that they look for anything to take them away from it for awhile.
Phyllis

United States

#2 Feb 2, 2007
We wonder why the kids are so screwed up!!!!!!Their parents,teachers,and people of authority are using prescription and non prescription drugs and are stoned all the time, leaving them to raise themselves! What a world they have to look forward to.Our society is slowly but surely drugging itself to a horrible death in more ways than one.
DEBBIE TENNESSEE

Maryville, TN

#4 Feb 3, 2007
IVE SAW FIRST HAND WHAT THE ABUSE AND ADDICTION OF PAIN MEDICINES HAS DONE TO OTHER WISE GOOD, HARD WORKING PEOPLE WITH FINE HOMES AND FINE FAMILYS. EVERYBODY SUFFERS. THE CHILDREN, THE PARENTS, THE GRAND PARENTS, AND EVEN THE PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO GENUINELY NEED PAIN MEDICINE ON A REGULAR BASIS. BECAUSE THE ABUSE OF PAIN MEDICINE MAKES IT HARDER FOR PEOPLE WHO REALLY NEEDS IT TO GET IT. THE DOCTERS ARE SCARED TO DEATH TO PRESCRIBE IT, AND PHARMACISTS CAUTIOUS ABOUT FILLING IT. EVERYTHING CANT BE ABOUT GETTING HIGH OR GETTING TOP DOLLAR OUT OF MEDICINES.
Blue Skies

Knoxville, TN

#5 Feb 3, 2007
If it hasn't changed TN was the number 1 state for prescription drug use. We have a large number of small minded igbnorant people. It's a definite reflection of the poor parenting going on. The education system should get it's share of blame but always remember that most of those teachers don't know any better either as they are probably poor parents too.
Ever wonder how many teachers are high? They usually have a good prescription drug plan.
Carol

Smyrna, TN

#6 Feb 4, 2007
Why not get to the root of the problem & set more stringent guidelines for even prescribing narcotics. The pharmacists should not have to police what the physicians are doing. Until our society's mindet changes that a pill will not make one better, nothing will change. Do away with the pain clinics as all they're doing is encouraging legal drug addiction & distribution that is funded by our tax dollars. Go to the root of the problem & stop handing the stuff out. Until it's not available, things will not change. Set guidelines that do not allow chronic pain medications unless it's for a terminal illness or postoperative period of only several weeks period. Of course, that's stepping on the pharmaceutical companies toes & it won't go. Until then, continue to have the pharamcists play police. The system for pharmacists should be in place, but if the root of the problem is taken care of, the problem would soon dwindle. In 20 years, someone that has been going to a pain clinic, what's the long term effect going to be? Stop producing the stuff or make it so very difficult to get hold of that no one can get it. There's more impaired people out there than anyone can imagine. The pain clinics never take anyone off the narctoics or work towards that goal even though they make claims that they do. Put them out of business & put the physicians out of business that are prescribing the narcotics. The business of chronic pain management is a huge money maker in addition to the physicians that hand the stuff out to anyone that walks into their office.
James

United States

#8 Feb 4, 2007
OK carol,lets say you get into an accident and your leg is severed,,Dr.James will sew you up and give you a couple bayer asprins and send you home OK ??

Since: Jan 07

northern wi

#9 Feb 4, 2007
ok, so Carol is in perfect shape and won' even take a bayer, I really feel bad for you if by somebody elses negligence oh course, you get hurt. Darn, you will be a better person than I am, cause i take pain meds, daily and I can't think of a worse feeling than rearranging your life around your constant pain!!! and by the way, docs, pain center caregivers, etc., do try to wean you constantly, I had to do this several times and it really sucks, but who cares, right Carol?
IN NC

United States

#10 Feb 4, 2007
Carol wrote:
Why not get to the root of the problem & set more stringent guidelines for even prescribing narcotics. The pharmacists should not have to police what the physicians are doing. Until our society's mindet changes that a pill will not make one better, nothing will change. Do away with the pain clinics as all they're doing is encouraging legal drug addiction & distribution that is funded by our tax dollars. Go to the root of the problem & stop handing the stuff out. Until it's not available, things will not change. Set guidelines that do not allow chronic pain medications unless it's for a terminal illness or postoperative period of only several weeks period. Of course, that's stepping on the pharmaceutical companies toes & it won't go. Until then, continue to have the pharamcists play police. The system for pharmacists should be in place, but if the root of the problem is taken care of, the problem would soon dwindle. In 20 years, someone that has been going to a pain clinic, what's the long term effect going to be? Stop producing the stuff or make it so very difficult to get hold of that no one can get it. There's more impaired people out there than anyone can imagine. The pain clinics never take anyone off the narctoics or work towards that goal even though they make claims that they do. Put them out of business & put the physicians out of business that are prescribing the narcotics. The business of chronic pain management is a huge money maker in addition to the physicians that hand the stuff out to anyone that walks into their office.
I bet you have never really knew pain, well guess what I have. I had a car accisent 5 years ago that broke both my legs, both my hips, and my pelvis in several places. I now have two steel rods in my legs ,wires in my hips, and a total of 11 screws holding it all together. So were you get off saying that all the clinics and doctors should quit giving people pain medicine. If did not take my medicine I would not be able to walk. So you need to keep your remarks to your self until you know what real pain is. Yes some people do abuse the medicine, but not all of us do. Comments and opinions like yours is what makes it so hard for the people who really need it, to be able to get it. So again until you have real pain shutup
Former Nurse

Franklin, TN

#11 Feb 4, 2007
It only takes a few bad apples to make the enire barrell sour. I worked in healthcare for 14 years.
I have seen firsthand the desperation and deceit the "drug seekers" exhibit to get their pills. I loved it when they could not say it but they could spell it for ya. I need P E R C O C E T cause it is the only thing that helps me. Another good one is "I am out because I dropped them in the toilet or my purse was stolen.
Unless you drink out of a toilet or have a police report for purse theft this just makes no sense. It is amazing how many names nurses and doctors can be called and the abuse they take from these addicts. I realized there was a population of people who need the relief from chronic pain and can sympathize with them, however the abuse from people not getting their fix is tremendous. It is one reason why I left the medical field altogether. I think doctors and pharmacists should have strict polcies for refills and quantities dispersed. If it is hard for the legitimate people to get pills then that means it will be hard for the pill poppers. Everyone should walk a mile in a healthcare workers shoes...it could change your perspective.
DEBBIE TENNESSEE

Maryville, TN

#13 Feb 4, 2007
Carol wrote:
I am by no means a abuser or addict of pain medicines, however unless you have a a kidney stone to large to pass, discs pressing on nerves in your neck or lower back, among 1000 other chronic pain situations one might encounter, that makes sleeping at night next to immpossible, or everyday daily living a struggle you need to lighten up on your view of pain meds, doctors, chronic pain clinics etc, because there really are people in this world that actually do need them and do not abuse them, why should they have to suffer anymore than they already do? everyone should not have to pay for other peoples abuse and dishonesty as it seems you would have it,I am glad that you feel no need for pain management in your life but keep in mind we all didnt either at some point,but things can happen and they do, aging, diseases, sickness.auto accidents etc. one of these days one of us could be you...

/
SMOKE_FREE TN

Murfreesboro, TN

#18 Feb 5, 2007
Why try to stop all the overuse of drugs? If that is what a person wants to use to cope with whatever is bothering them then so what? The same is true with food. It will eventually lead to death, but most people know this and they choose to abuse substances anyway.
Oh my

Union Star, KY

#19 Feb 5, 2007
I don't understand how people use these things and like them. I was given a prescription for 10 hydrocodone pills from my doctor for pain after a minor surgery. My goodness, that pill made me nauseous, dizzy, and knocked me out for several hours. I got to where I couldn't stand taking it unless I was in SEVERE pain. Needless to say I only took a few of them and left the rest of the painkilling to advil. I don't see why people like to feel that way.. Maybe there is something I am missing.

Since: Jan 07

northern wi

#21 Feb 6, 2007
and then there is the people who badger the heck out people they know who have them, they make me want to just throw everything down the toilet and just suffer through the pain, dam they are the worst "friends" a person can know!!! i was in that situation awhile ago, won't even talk to them anymore, course I am useless to them now, but that is ok with me!!
hurt on the job

Ontario, OH

#22 Feb 11, 2007
Carol wrote:
unless u are in pain I see no rationale in your rambling self-righteous speech. if only u could walk in anothers painful shoes u dont have a clue. try to help people instead of getting up on your soapbox to lay out YOUR remedy. many people do need pain release, evidently u are not 1 of them.so enjoy your painfree life while many others do need help. I was hurt on the job carrying a large furnace up basement steps resulting in a torn sciatic nerve and tore both hamstrings as well as straining my knee. But I imagine you think 2 aspirins and call the doc in the morning will"make it all better". workmans comp only wants to starve the injured workers so they go back to work in min. wage jobs so they can write u off as returned to work and case closed. u better hope it doesnt happen to you or u may end up needing those poison dr's to help u. enjoy your health ms know it all

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#27 Feb 11, 2007
Moonshine stills have been replaced with meth labs and illegally obtained narcotics.Im sure that other races will be blamed for this.Hopefully Im wrong on this statement.
ABC

Jefferson City, TN

#29 Feb 11, 2007
Unlike everyone else, I have to agree with Carol on this. We have too many doctors who are willing to fork out medicines like oxycontin, lortab, methadone, percocet (to name a few) for people who have banged their knee or have a sore back. I can easily walk into a clinic and proclaim that I injured my back and walk out with 350 oxycontin. Out on the street, those drugs are more valuable than gold. Grant it, there are a few people who are in chronic, terminal pain who do need these medicines. That number of people, however, is much fewer than the number of people actually getting these powerful prescriptions. We DO need tighter regulations on prescription writing, and penalties that are more harsh for the offenders. Cut the head off the snake, and the body will die.
Just for the record, it seems as if some of these drugs have gone to people's brains on this blog. Please be mindful of spelling and grammer please. It's very annoying to read a rant with words like 'u' and 'any 1'. You're at home on disability; you should have the time to type out words properly. Thank you, now I'm going to get back to my pain-free life!
2 talk 2

Nashville, TN

#31 Feb 11, 2007
ABC wrote:
Unlike everyone else, I have to agree with Carol on this. We have too many doctors who are willing to fork out medicines like oxycontin, lortab, methadone, percocet (to name a few) for people who have banged their knee or have a sore back. I can easily walk into a clinic and proclaim that I injured my back and walk out with 350 oxycontin. Out on the street, those drugs are more valuable than gold. Grant it, there are a few people who are in chronic, terminal pain who do need these medicines. That number of people, however, is much fewer than the number of people actually getting these powerful prescriptions. We DO need tighter regulations on prescription writing, and penalties that are more harsh for the offenders. Cut the head off the snake, and the body will die.
Just for the record, it seems as if some of these drugs have gone to people's brains on this blog. Please be mindful of spelling and grammer please. It's very annoying to read a rant with words like 'u' and 'any 1'. You're at home on disability; you should have the time to type out words properly. Thank you, now I'm going to get back to my pain-free life!
JUST TO COMMENT ON PAIN KILLERS. I HAVE LUPUS AND IF YOU KNOW WHAT ALL IT DOES TO YOUR BODY YES MEDS. IS A BIG PART OF KEEPING IT IN CONTROL. BUT, I CAN'T TAKE PAIN KILLERS ONLY WHEN I CAN'T STAND IT ANYMORE. I HAVE TO BREAK IT UP INTO CRUMB SIZES THIS STUFF MAKES ME SICK...BUT A LITTLE AT A TIME HELPS THE TUMMY. I'M AFRAID TO EVEN MENTION MEDS. PEOPLE WOULD NO DOUBT BREAK IN OR KILL FOR THAT MATTER. AFTER SPINAL SURGERIES ECT. I HAVE HAD ALOT OF PEOPLE TO ASK FOR MY MEDS, PAY FOR THEM HECK PEOPLE WILL DO ANYTHING FOR THEM. I JUST DO GOOD BUYING MY MEDICINE THAT I KNOW THAT I HAVE TO HAVE IN ORDER TO FUNCTION AND PAIN KILLERS DOES ME A VERY LONG TIME...I JUST WISH PEOPLE THAT ARE HEALTHY OUTSIDE OF THE FACT OF BEING A JUNKY WOULD APPRECIATE THEIR BODY COMPARED TO MY YOUNG SICKLY SELF....
Pamela Callahan

Akron, OH

#35 Feb 12, 2007
I do not have back or neck, but I have continuing pain from a gallbladder surgery I had last June (2006) and now 8 months into this I have vomited day and night for the first 6 months after surgery. I am now left with right-side upper stomach pain. It feels like someone has kicked me in the side. I am in extreme pain everyday, my blood pressure is high because of it. Before all of this I had one class left to graduate with an MBA degree, unfornately the pain left me basically unable to do anything but sit still everyday. I have had a very hard time trying to get relief for my pain. Doctors do not like to prescribe pain pills for longterm, because potential problems they present. This is very hard for someone who can not have a normal life without some form of pain management. I am hoping the medical community will wake up and realize, yes there are some who will abuse any type of medications, but there also others who need pain meds to resume a normal life.
DEBBIE TENNESSEE

Morristown, TN

#36 Feb 12, 2007
ABC wrote:
Its interesting that you say you can walk into a clinic and just say this and walk out with these types of pain medications, because Ive been to orthopedic clinics, pain mangement clinics, therepists etc. and I dont find this true at all, in fact the opposite, they actually go to extremes to keep from writing these kind of prescriptions, they know that people will lie just to get it, and they are not making it easy for them, it takes mri,s x-rays, ivps, doctor referrals,and therepy,alternative pain management even surgery before they will consider putting you on a potentially addictive pain medicine, and even then its rarely long term.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#37 Feb 12, 2007
Okay forest this it...I said that one of the white people that was killed should have been you,was wishing you dead,not threatening you,this after the fact you called my wife and kids racial slurs...Then the threats started...I said fine Sunday 12;30...You said 12:00 at AE. I was there from 11:55 Til 1:00 you did not show up.I've asked you many questions about your supposed visit for 45 min. You answered 2 questions that anybody could answer that has some knowledge of East Knoxville.Your 3rd was the one.You stated you was in the front and BACK of AE.You cannot get in the Back of AE On the weekends.It has gates with chains and padlocks.Plus you could not tell me the color of the Hearst that was parked out in the front of Jarnigan's Funeral Home Nor could tell me the vehicles that came in and out.Plus you couldn't tell me where the janitors car was parked at AE because I know where he parks in 2 places, that day.Also you stated that you would put me in that funeral home....Now thats a death threat!!!!!
Boy you need to stop.You treading on thin ice,and the sad fact is you know it.Now I'm not going to waste my time meeting you in anymore places ,Im sick of it....This is your final warning...Im posting this message on any forum I go on and in the near future.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drug Enforcement Administration Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News States ban kratom supplement over abuse worries May 21 Anonymous 2
News Suspected meth lab raided (Nov '06) May 20 Anthony Scarpuzzi... 3
News DEA, state police crack down on 'outlaw motorcy... (Dec '05) May 17 TR supporter 198
News BREAKING... Cisco Trucking Raided by DEA (Aug '14) May 17 AAA 4
Who is on DEA Topix forum review? May 12 Frank 1
News Is medicinal herb kratom a safe and effective a... (Apr '12) May 8 Kratom Plants For... 8
News The Latest: Feds, including DEA, join Prince in... May 6 Hostis Publicus 1
More from around the web