Marin task force sees influx of party drug 'molly'

A new party drug appears to be seeping into Marin, similar to ecstasy but more potent and less widely understood, county investigators said. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
DrugMonkey

San Diego, CA

#24 Jan 26, 2009
What a disappointing bit of journalism.

A suggestion as to what might be helpful- perhaps present some data rather than simply speculation as to what "molly" is or is not. What proportion of seized tablets (or one's sent to harm reduction testing services) represented as "molly" contain MDMA versus the piperizines? Instead of throwaways about how ecstasy users are unused to the so called increased potency. What is this supposed to mean? Increased toxic liability? Mortality risk? Dependence liability? What? A different or more intense 'high'?

You do a disservice to an audience which is reflexively suspicious of inflammatory throw-away media speak. The purpose of journalism should be to inform, not merely to frighten.

http://scienceblogs.com/drugmonkey/2009/01/re...
My Name is Sue

Oakland, CA

#25 Jan 26, 2009
Just in Case wrote:
think there's a connection in these stories and novato/san rafael pulling out funding for the task force. gee i wonder.
Great observation. This is exactly what happens when you give police "special agency" organizations large amounts of funding. They then embellish or even fabricate information to justify budgets and jobs.

Even though I don't smoke marijuana, the only real reason it is still illegal is police lobbying all over the country telling tall tales about it. so The cops are doing it so they can keep millions in funding to "fight that evil drug marijuana. The gateway to H*LL" Lol...

Just legalize pot already!
seriously

San Anselmo, CA

#26 Jan 26, 2009
great point, DrugMonkey

the entire point of this article is that they have caught people using "molly" SEVEN TIMES in the past year.

SEVEN TIMES!

Seriously? Considering how many people they rap for marijuana and even other midrange hard drugs (coke, ecstasy, things that are tough but not on the level of meth or crack or heroin) that probably mean these "molly" arrests are wayyy less than 1% of all drug busts in marin. which isn't exactly the holy mecca of street drugs anyways.
Realist

San Jose, CA

#28 Jan 26, 2009
My Name is Sue wrote:
<quoted text>
Even though I don't smoke marijuana, the only real reason it is still illegal is police lobbying all over the country telling tall tales about it.
You might want to point your finger at drug manufacturers and tobacco companies to make this argument sound realistic. Law Enforcement does receive money for enforcement but not through lobbying. They enforce what the lobbyists tell the legislature they want enforced. Then they recieve money to do it. This issue of who lobbies for what and why is much, much deeper and complex than an ignorant, one line summary.

Getting into the socioeconomic and societal realities of this issue will result in opinon only. Mainly uniformed opinons at that.
errratic

South San Francisco, CA

#29 Jan 26, 2009
"Molly can be manufactured from common over-the-counter medications" Say what? I find this pretty hard to believe- but if it's true (and cops don't lie)how about the recipe IJ?
mebo

Fremont, CA

#30 Jan 27, 2009
molly can not be made with over the counter medication. in no way shape or form. its not meth!?!?!
This article is crap

Summerville, SC

#31 Jan 28, 2009
"Molly can be manufactured from common over-the-counter medications"

^No, its a **ing Piperazine. Yesh, these reporters really suck at their jobs.

And news media, get it straight, TFMPP is LEGAL to own and posses! It was De-listed from the DEA.

So its not illegal. Only if it is being sold AS ecstasy. But the media makes it seem that this substance is 100% federally illegal and it isn't.

Over the summer you could buy this over ebay! Someone was selling it in 10-GRAM lots!

You need 0.1 gram to feel something, lol
This article is crap

Summerville, SC

#32 Jan 28, 2009
I like how the article forgot to mention how Piperazines, which is the family of drugs that this TFMPP comes from has a wide range of uses:
TFMPP: A deworming agent, orginally in farm animals.
MCPP: another piperazine that INDUCES Migraine headaces.
News Media sucks in the country. So 7 arrests and that is news?
A scum bag steals HOW MUCH? 50 billion...How many fathers have ra ped their daughters today? how many people took TFMPP? SEVEN!
Pointless news
Your Stupid

San Rafael, CA

#33 Jan 28, 2009
This article is crap wrote:
I like how the article forgot to mention how Piperazines, which is the family of drugs that this TFMPP comes from has a wide range of uses:
TFMPP: A deworming agent, orginally in farm animals.
MCPP: another piperazine that INDUCES Migraine headaces.
News Media sucks in the country. So 7 arrests and that is news?
A scum bag steals HOW MUCH? 50 billion...How many fathers have ra ped their daughters today? how many people took TFMPP? SEVEN!
Pointless news
Why did you ra pe your daughter today?
Bearlove

Bahrain

#34 Jan 28, 2009
What are you talking about ? Where did you get your information from exactly?
Molly is the street term for MDMA powder ( F.Y.I. MDMA in a tablet form is classed as Ecstasy).

Piperazines that’s the BZP and Tmfpp that you are talking about is a legal (in some countries) chemical that was introduced as a drugs harm reduction programme – even though the last few “Ecstasy” reported deaths were actually from these chemicals.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/...

All government reports about these piperazine pills all state “Ecstasy”(that’s mdma aka molly) MIMIC pills as they are being passed off by dealers as E
http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/programs/forensicsci...

People should be aware that the effects of piperazines are far different to Ecstasy and should NEVER be confused with this guy’s idea of Molly – this could only lead to further deaths.

If people want Ecstasy or MDMA they are definitely not looking to buy a piperzine drug – BZP, TMFPP, McPP as these can have a whole range of nightmare effects (Sickness, paranoia, acute insomnia, palpitations, temperature swings etc)
Enlightened

San Rafael, CA

#35 Jan 28, 2009
This article wreaks of misinformation regarding the subject.
In no place on earth is molly considered piperazine, TFMPP, OR BZP.
Molly is mdma -- period.
wow

Anaheim, CA

#36 Jan 29, 2009
Wow these people are idiots, this is so funny "molly" sure as hell isn't a combination of piperazines lol. Where do they get their info from. Molly is powder mdma. Bzp and TFMPP are piperazines... see the difference. Piperazines are shit, molly is wonderful. I wish people would get their facts straight. The reason they are finding these fake "molly" pills is because the dealer is trying to screw people.
Alex

Glassboro, NJ

#38 Feb 2, 2009
keep the TF wrote:
Way to go Task Force....Keep up the good work. The communities are safer with you folks around. I can only imagine the crime rates and trends that will change should the unit be diminished or disbanded.
Please keep on keepin' on.....
Can't you see that strict enforcement of drugs only gives criminals a large business front? It's because of this that bad pills are made and violence over the illegal drug market occurs.
John

Summerville, SC

#39 Feb 19, 2009
"Molly can be manufactured from common over-the-counter medications"

^Horrible, second grade reporting style at work. Okay, TFMPP IS NOT made from OTC-medications you morons.

This is not reporting, its just BS. Reporter Gary Klien sucks at their job.

Get your facts straight, a-hole
Zzyzx

Saint-hyacinthe, Canada

#40 Feb 24, 2009
This article is RIDICULOUS.

Molly is a street name for pure MDMA (ecstasy)

It is in no way a new drug, it has the very same molecular structure and cant fool drug tests.

I plead to all journalists.. For god sakes read a little bit before you write non sense
seven

Barrie, Canada

#41 Mar 2, 2009
This whole article is a blatant lie.
Heather

Fayetteville, AR

#42 Nov 27, 2009
MOLLY=HEAVEN IN POWER FORM

seriously. i'm not a huge drug user, but this stuff is simply amazing.

Davis, CA

#43 Jul 16, 2010
lol. You people are dumb. Don't even know anything about the drug you are trying to scare people from. Molly is pure MDMA... it's much safer than "ecstasy" because ecstasy pills are MDMA plus other drugs that manufacturers cut it with for example meth (much worse for you). people don't overdose on pure MDMA they overdose and get hurt on the other crap pills are cut with. Don't put out false information because kids are going to get hurt taking ecstasy pills if they're scared of molly.

the DEA said it's pipes??? no, that's different... why don't you people just ask a kid.
jesse

Novato, CA

#44 Jul 16, 2010
john wrote:
Do any of you have any idea how much money is wasted in attempting to enforce drug laws??? How much is spent on jails, law enforcement, lawyers, judges, probation officers, etc. etc. etc??? What do we get for all that money?? We can't even keep drugs out of maximum security prisons. Why do you continue to believe the drug war is going to keep them out of your kid's high school?? That money could better be spent on rehabs and programs that treat addiction. Addiction is a medical issue and attempting to stop it through criminal laws has been a hugh failure. Just because the goals of the drug war are positive dosen't mean those goals are being achieved. And they will never be achieved by locking up one druggie at a time.
Out 100% of people who try and use drugs, only about %5 develope a "drug problem"....the war on drugs is a sham...

you will go through your "phases" in life regardless...if you have no desire to do "molly" you will not do it if it is legal or not...

actually the "thrill" of drugs is greatly increased by their illegality...peer groups are formed on this basis....

every "vice cop", every judge who worked a drug case,every prisioner who is doing time for drugs, every amount of money to house them, what do you get.....trillions of wasted dollars and ruined lives....and in the end, drugs, if you want them are still and always will be there...

the war on drugs was created to make a cash cow for the federal reserve...period

its all about coming up with ways for the federal government to NEED to borrow money from the private for profit bank, the federal reserve

Mill Valley, CA

#45 Aug 8, 2010
oh wow... This journalist has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. Molly is pure MDMA. It cannot be made easily. That drug is called meth. I'm not even going to get into this.

Do some research and don't release misinformation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drug Enforcement Administration Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Operation City Sweeper Exposes Underbelly of Ne... Dec 19 333stenbrian 1
Six indicted in connection with distribution of... Dec 14 bacon hater 3
Woman gets 6 years in Calif.-to-Ohio pot scheme (Jun '11) Dec 14 Bruno24 4
Miami: Three Colombian nationals sentenced to p... Dec 13 kungtae 1
DEA, state police searching suspected site of c... (Aug '13) Dec 8 willard 122
50 Drug Trafficking Suspects Arrested In New Ro... Dec 4 333stenbrian 1
City, county law enforcement assists in nationw... (Jun '10) Dec 3 PpLtheZedayZsoSAD 62
More from around the web