34 arrested, guns and drugs seized in...

34 arrested, guns and drugs seized in south Broward County sweep

There are 48 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Jan 9, 2009, titled 34 arrested, guns and drugs seized in south Broward County sweep. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

The Broward Sheriff's Office announced the arrests of 34 men Friday in a federally funded crime sweep named "Operation Dirty South" that focused on the southern end of the county.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Get Real

Delray Beach, FL

#1 Jan 9, 2009
"Gibson pleaded guilty in federal court to possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and is serving a sentence of five to 15 years, "

The guy conspired to commit murder during a planned felony robery and he got 5 to 15 for carrying a firearm???????!!!
What's wrong with this picture?????? The lazy prosecutors should be fired.
A Joke

United States

#3 Jan 10, 2009
Get Real wrote:
"Gibson pleaded guilty in federal court to possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and is serving a sentence of five to 15 years, "
The guy conspired to commit murder during a planned felony robery and he got 5 to 15 for carrying a firearm???????!!!
The gun laws don't work. They are useless because evey time one is proposed it gets watered down by special interests on both sides. The legal system is a joke.
Employment

United States

#4 Jan 10, 2009
"guns and drugs seized"

People need to make a living.
riscience

United States

#5 Jan 10, 2009

Stop this gestapo
And justice for all

Hialeah, FL

#6 Jan 10, 2009
Good job Al. Keep these creeps off the streets!
Ed O PLANET OF THE APES

United States

#7 Jan 10, 2009
Sounds like discrimination to me!
Ed O PLANET OF THE APES

United States

#8 Jan 10, 2009
Where the heck is Grass Lake,Mi?
googled

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#9 Jan 10, 2009
Ed O PLANET OF THE APES wrote:
Where the heck is Grass Lake,Mi?
Looks like a nice place..........
http://www.infomi.com/city/grasslake/
Ben Der Dun Dat

United States

#10 Jan 10, 2009
Illegal Guns? I looked in the photos the SS had, didn,t see any illegal guns. A 22cal rifle a couple of shotguns, Oh yeah, the "Cop-Killer"
FN Herstal 5.7x28mm. They are not illegal, and only military round for them will penetrate a bullet resistant vest. Also not one has been used to kill a cop in the over ten years they have been sold in the States. I wonder if Lamberti and his Sergeant know why they were developed and what the original purpose of the 5.7 was, probably not. Most cops are ignorant about firearms.
Guns by themselves, unless altered are not illegal, they are used in illegal ways by criminals then the existing gun laws are used as plea bargaining tools by prosecutors.
two bits

United States

#11 Jan 10, 2009
Get Real wrote:
Murder (and conspiracy to commit murder) is generally a state offense, not a federal one (that is, unless you kill a postal worker...) The feds did what they could. Thank goodness for federal gun laws, or else they wouldn't have been able to get even that.
Who Would Have Thought

Hollywood, FL

#12 Jan 10, 2009
cry me a river wrote:
They showed a photo on the news of the complete gang, from the leader to the street guys....I was shocked that not even one caucasian was there to "represent"...must be racial profiling:(
Guess who's buying most of the drugs bozo - you're right - law abiding white people who go to the "hood" and cope drugs and then go back to their lily-white suburbs to enjoy them. And yeah - if they get caught they go through drug court for a year and all is forgiven!
budwiser

United States

#13 Jan 10, 2009
What exactly is drug packing equipment? Butcher paper and duct tape maybe?
melgibson

Key West, FL

#14 Jan 10, 2009
Just think, if we had gun control laws to stop the amounts of guns coming into this state, we could actually save on law enforcement. Instead, our police have to put their lives in danger to do what Tallahassee refuses to do...protect the citizens of Florida.
Enforcement

United States

#15 Jan 10, 2009
melgibson wrote:
Just think, if we had gun control laws to stop the amounts of guns coming into this state, we could actually save on law enforcement. Instead, our police have to put their lives in danger to do what Tallahassee refuses to do...protect the citizens of Florida.
Get rid of all the gun laws and all Florida citizens start carrying handguns. Then there will be no more handgun violence.
HoooRAhh

United States

#16 Jan 10, 2009
Good Job AL. I love to hear it any time scumbags were taken off the streets. Hats off to BSO. I was actually shocked to see Hollywood PD was involved in actually arresting someone. Maybe there is hope for the world.
HoooRAhh

United States

#17 Jan 10, 2009
melgibson wrote:
I still have yet to see an individual that has a state issued concealed carry license that legally owns guns be arrested in this type of conspiracy. If the make even tougher gun laws , then only the criminals will have guns. Gun Control will never prevent scumbags from obtaining firearms. Wake up and smell the poo. I'd rather be a sheepdog than the sheep.
Andres Lopez

Gainesville, FL

#18 Jan 10, 2009
No wonder the Manhattan/Boca/Palm Beach/Madoff shylocks can operate for decades right under the noses of the feds with complete impunity.

"Regional Anti-Crime Squad"??? What a laugh...
GOOD JOB

Pompano Beach, FL

#19 Jan 10, 2009
is the legal system a joke? YES. did bso take the wind out of these thugs sails? YES. good job guys
Dep Dawg

United States

#20 Jan 10, 2009
cry me a river wrote:
They showed a photo on the news of the complete gang, from the leader to the street guys....I was shocked that not even one caucasian was there to "represent"...must be racial profiling:(
The gang organizers are clearly racial bigots. No diversity should require intervention and protests by the NAAWP and the Aryan Nation.

Can we just chop off the South County and Lauderhill from Broward County and float it up the gulfstream.
Dep Dawg

United States

#21 Jan 10, 2009
Who Would Have Thought wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess who's buying most of the drugs bozo - you're right - law abiding white people who go to the "hood" and cope drugs and then go back to their lily-white suburbs to enjoy them. And yeah - if they get caught they go through drug court for a year and all is forgiven!
Now that is a pointless response. If drugs were legalized, the price would plummet and they could be bought in malls. Of course the ghetto would take a huge economic hit. Awww.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drug Enforcement Administration Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Huntington Stands Prepared for Influx of New De... Apr 26 tommy 2
News Honolulu man convicted in meth distribution case Apr 25 Darwin 4
News 12 charged in drug trafficking conspiracy (Apr '14) Apr 18 Hardcore finger 7
News Mob members indicted on federal charges (Nov '08) Apr 6 Tatianna 36
News Drug bust shows problems with gangs and drugs i... Apr 4 Dr Hezekiah 2
News Feds: Flight attendant left 68 pounds of cocain... Apr 2 this guy 5
News 2 O.C. men among 4 arrested on federal narcotic... Mar 30 Kimmy Head 2
More from around the web