ship driver?

Since: Jan 08

Trenton, NJ

#1 Apr 5, 2008
how do you become a ship driver and what major do you have to take in the coast guard academy to become a ship driver? thanks
tomeek

Jacksonville, FL

#2 Apr 8, 2008
I personally have not seen one officer in the german nor US forces that ride their own boats, mostly that is done by BM's ! The oficer "just" tells you where to go. correct me if I'm wrong.
BWF

Washington, DC

#3 Mar 9, 2009
I believe that he is talking about serving as a deck watch officer on board a cutter (ship), not as a coxswain.

Steven, you do not need to major in any particular field to become a ship driver. You would simply request duty as a deck watch officer on a cutter on your dream sheet during your firstie year.

The only thing to remember is that if you major in one of the engineering areas, there will most likely be pressure on you to request a billet as a EOIT (student engineer) aboard a cutter. Also, there is a possibility if they don't have enough EOITs in your class that you would be "selected and directed" to become an EOIT, regardless of your wishes, for the "good of the service."

Hope this helps, and best of luck.

BWF
USCGA Class of '06
charleen

Johannesburg, South Africa

#5 Dec 17, 2011
i wnt 2 study 2 become a ship driver bt im nt sure if i go 2 university r what
Ntsikelelo

United States

#6 Jun 19, 2012
I also wnt to b a ship driver.i just dnt no wat steps to take.any one who cn help
Tabisa

South Africa

#8 Jul 2, 2013
Ntsikelelo wrote:
I also wnt to b a ship driver.i just dnt no wat steps to take.any one who cn help
I also want to be aship driver where should i go
Sanele

South Africa

#9 Dec 5, 2013
My drm iz 2 bcm a ship driver but i dnt kwn wat mst i do,whch steps mst i tak i jst need som help
Jay

San Diego, CA

#10 Jan 27, 2014
Maybe we all should learn English before we start talking about driving "ships"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Coast Guard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NTSB to issue probable cause of El Faro's sinking Dec '17 marg 1
News Donald Trump tells troops - we're really winnin... Nov '17 Covfeve 6
News Did Russia make this ship disappear? Nov '17 alanh 1
News U.S. Coast Guard says women lost at sea did not... Nov '17 Kev from Michigan 1
News Hurricane Maria leaves at least 15 dead on Domi... Sep '17 Birdzilla 1
News From Antwoin to Shaniah to murder suspect: Moth... (Apr '13) Sep '17 Lilac St Cyr 3
News Bridgeport officials suggest emergency storm pr... Sep '17 America Gentleman... 4
More from around the web