Costs of hip replacement hard to find, vary widely

There are 8 comments on the Feb 11, 2013, Reuters story titled Costs of hip replacement hard to find, vary widely. In it, Reuters reports that:

Many hospitals are hard-pressed to tell people needing a hip replacement how much their procedure is likely to cost, according to a new study.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Reuters.

Alvin

Kansas City, MO

#1 Feb 17, 2013
I wonder why hospitals cannot readily answer the price of a hip replacement surgery where it is performed almost every day and the demand is quite high. When setting a price for a hip replacement operation, it must be fair. The operation is expensive but complications still arise. According to reports, severe side-effects of hip replacement surgery include inflammation, implant loosening, pain, and metallosis because of the artificial hip implants being used. I happen to read this online resource that offered more information about the complications that this type of operation may bring. Do check this out, http://strykerhip.webnode.com/news/want-succe...
Jane

Atlanta, GA

#2 Feb 18, 2013
The varying costs of hip replacement make it hard t determine the exact cost. Even though there are some Pinnacle lawsuit that are being discussed online, many still want to go through the surgery to avoid hip pain.
Ethel

Quezon City, Philippines

#3 Mar 9, 2013
If these reports are true, then something must be done about this. Having a hip surgery can really be costly and not all have the available funds for it. Knowing the amount needed will help a patient prepare for the expenses he or she will be incurring. Maybe the government health authorities can do something about this.
true cost

Franklin, TX

#4 Mar 9, 2013
had right hip replaced tuesday 3/5/13

hospital is 14100.00
surgeon 1375.00
anthest 1500.00
x rays 36.00
take home prescp.89.00

total 17120.00

if we had insurance it would have been over 75000.00....lol crazy. one point, i made sure i had the very best surgeon in the area. he is a doctor's doctor...would recommend him highly. hospital was also very good, clean, warm and considerate of their patients.
R Miller

Kansas City, MO

#5 Mar 23, 2013
Despite the varying cost of this type of operation, still many want to go through a hip replacement surgery as this is their only way to alleviate pain. Even with reported cases of metallosis, in which metal fragments from the hip implant used may leak into one’s bloodstream, people are being unmindful of this. I came across this online resource that offered more information about the complications that hip replacement surgery may bring. Do check this out, http://stryker-hip-replacement-recall.com/tim...
Ariel

Perth Amboy, NJ

#6 Mar 29, 2013
Aside from the fact that it's so hard to get the prices for the hip surgeries, what is also very very disturbing is the wide gap in the prices. The study shows that prices may range from $11T to $125T. This may give rise to questions as to the quality of the operation for those in the bottom range. Or are some hospitals overcharging?These concerns should be addressed by the proper authorities considering that every year more and more people are undergoing hip surgeries. Aside from the costs, patients have to be wary of complications which may go up to as high as 50% much like that of the DePuy ASR hip systems.For more on these concerns and issues, you may check on DePuy ASR hip lawsuit information center.
Charlie

Providence, UT

#7 Apr 12, 2013
The cost of the hip replacement is really very expensive and its so alarming that the number of complains against it especially against the DePuy orthopedics is rising such as those issues i have www.hipreplacementlawsuitcenter.com
HELP

Dubai, UAE

#8 May 8, 2014
true cost wrote:
had right hip replaced tuesday 3/5/13
hospital is 14100.00
surgeon 1375.00
anthest 1500.00
x rays 36.00
take home prescp.89.00
total 17120.00
if we had insurance it would have been over 75000.00....lol crazy. one point, i made sure i had the very best surgeon in the area. he is a doctor's doctor...would recommend him highly. hospital was also very good, clean, warm and considerate of their patients.
Hello...
I would like to ask which hospital and doctor of your hip replacement operation?
as my father will be having the same operation and we don't have enough budget.
But we can afford your total cost that you mentioned above.
We are staying in Pasig. Please help. Thanks and God Bless...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why norovirus is such a menace (Feb '14) 17 hr vic thorn for PREZ 36
News HIV outbreak in Indiana grows Apr 25 Cordwainer Trout 4
News Health is Wealth: 5 Deadly Health Issues for Af... Apr 18 lol 16
News McCracken sees diabetes rate drop Apr 18 Unity 1
News Exercise regimens offer little benefit for one ... Apr 14 Vib_Ram 3
News Five simple steps to reduce type-2 diabetes Apr 8 mathewsteven10 9
News Early diagnosis and intervention key with autis... Apr 7 WAKEFIELD WAS RIGHT 1
More from around the web