Call for arrest of watch captain who ...

Call for arrest of watch captain who shot kid

There are 29778 comments on the New York Daily News story from Mar 19, 2012, titled Call for arrest of watch captain who shot kid. In it, New York Daily News reports that:

ORLANDO, Fla. -- College students around Florida rallied Monday to demand the arrest of a white neighborhood watch captain who shot an unarmed black teen last month, though authorities may be hamstrung by a state law that allows people to defend themselves with deadly force.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at New York Daily News.

Sallyomally

Sanford, FL

#21383 Dec 12, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
He dropped out of school in the ninth grade. This is the best he can do.
And seriously unstable.
Sallyomally

Sanford, FL

#21384 Dec 12, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
I see this as a liability issue. I think everybody wants to back-peddle out of this case because nobody wants to see Rodney King again which could very well happen.
Think of it this way: how secure would you be as a judge finding Zimmerman not guilty? What if you were a juror? What about his defense lawyer?
A not guilty conclusion could very well end in violence--not that we haven't seen violence across the country because of this case, but would you want to be a major contributor to it? Or would you rather pass the buck to somebody else for your own security?
Have you noticed that the prosecution keeps denying that George and his family are in any kind of danger? Remember the family that Spike Lee thought he was tweeting Zimmerman's address and it turned out to be the wrong one. Those poor people were forced into hiding until it was cleared up. They filed suit against him.

Then there was the poor guy that just got out of prison and was given George's old cell phone number. He got calls saying they were going to kill him thinking they were talking to George.

I am concerned about O'Mara once this is over and George is acquitted. He's had death threats in the past.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#21385 Dec 12, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Last time I looked, the Governor was a Republican and the prosecutor he appointed: also a Republican.
And the sheriff who "investigated" the case got canned for his incompetence.
Birds of a feather, eh?
The Seminole County Sheriff had nothing to o with this case and still holds his position. I believe you refer to the former Sanford Chief of Police. I disagree with your assessment of "incompetence," since the SAO has agreed the Sanford PD did a competent investigation. The initial rumors about incompetence were dispelled long ago.

Have you read the evidence published in the case? I've investigated several homicides, and this is a very weak case. I predict Mr. Zimmerman has a 90% chance of prevailing at trial. That goes to 95% if he testifies and does so competently.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#21386 Dec 12, 2012
DillinghamLawFirm wrote:
<quoted text>
The Seminole County Sheriff had nothing to o with this case
I guess you were in a cave when this went down.

He had everything to do with this case and everything with trying to fold up the tent after that chummy meeting he had with the pedophile's father... that nice private meeting...

Location hidden

#21387 Dec 12, 2012
DillinghamLawFirm wrote:
I disagree with your assessment of "incompetence,"
Bill Lee FIRED.

I guess I'm not the only one with that opinion.

Location hidden

#21388 Dec 12, 2012
DillinghamLawFirm wrote:
I've investigated several homicides, and this is a very weak case.
Several cases... wow!

I've seen twenty years of Law and Order. I don't pretend to be a lawyer.

But then: you aren't the best prosecutor in the state of Florida, are you?

Tell me: have you offered your services to O'Mara?

Location hidden

#21389 Dec 12, 2012
DillinghamLawFirm wrote:
That goes to 95% if he testifies and does so competently.
Only a very stupid incompetent lawyer would put his client - the very client that has already lied to the very same court- on the witness stand when his reputation as a liar has already been established.

Or give advice to do so.

The prosecutor is already going to have a field day with his varied "testimonials", including the grandstanding he did for entertainment TV.

Location hidden

#21390 Dec 12, 2012
Sallyomally wrote:
Have you noticed
Have you noticed no expects you to keep your word, Welsher?

Welsh:
"A related colloquialism is the verb to welsh/welch ('to renege') as in 'to welsh/welch on a deal or bet', which is derived from an age-old 'English' stereotype of the Welsh/Celtic peoples as unreliable or oath-breakers"

Location hidden

#21391 Dec 12, 2012
DillinghamLawFirm wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a Florida personal injury and criminal defense attorney who practices in Orlando. I'm curious
I'm observant, Shug.

I ask myself questions like: Why would a "lawyer" who was worth a bucket of warm spit be a "personal injury" (a.k.a., ambulance chaser) AND a criminal defense attorney instead- if competent- he or she would be one or the other... particularly if he or she was spending billing hours in this forum.

Location hidden

#21392 Dec 12, 2012
DillinghamLawFirm wrote:
I apologize, but I cannot understand how your post is related to my reply, and i'm unsure of what you are positing
positing... i'm...hmmm...

Location hidden

#21393 Dec 12, 2012
DillinghamLawFirm wrote:
... but ultimately, it is the client's Constitutional right to testify.
You don't say?

Since when?

Location hidden

#21394 Dec 13, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm observant, Shug.
I ask myself questions like: Why would a "lawyer" who was worth a bucket of warm spit be a "personal injury" (a.k.a., ambulance chaser) AND a criminal defense attorney instead- if competent- he or she would be one or the other... particularly if he or she was spending billing hours in this forum.
Your statement implies attorneys don't have free time or engage in social media. We have personal lives, too, just like everyone else. Additionally, I use social media as a marketing tool. These days, one must use every competitive advantage available. I own the firm, set my own hours, and don't answer to anyone but my personal goals.

I practice personal injury law because I was a claims adjuster for 10 years, and criminal law because I'm a former police detective. It's an excellent mix of business since criminal defendants pay a flat-fee upfront, so I use my criminal defense business to offset my personal injury business, which can take years after signing up a client to negotiate or litigate a successful resolution.

Your reference to "billable hours" is a misplaced one. I don't take cases that require I bill for X amount of hours. With criminal cases, I charge a flat-fee that encompasses all the work I anticipate doing based upon the complexity of the case, typical rates in the area, novelty of the question of law, and other factors. For personal injury cases, I'm paid on contingency. I also do a lot of pro bono work for a local domestic violence shelter (Harbor House).

I hope my reply has answered your questions.

https://www.facebook.com/Dillingham.Law.Firm

Location hidden

#21395 Dec 13, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Bill Lee FIRED.
I guess I'm not the only one with that opinion.
Bill Lee was the Chief of Police for Sanford PD, not the Sheriff of Seminole County. Police chiefs are at-will employees and can be fired (depending upon the constraints of their contracts). A sheriff cannot be fired (or "canned" as you put it) because he is an elected official. He can be removed by the Florida Governor for certain reasons, but again, the SCSO's Sheriff still very much has his job. Your statement was incorrect.

There were also many rallies held in Sanford to support Chief Bill Lee. I would hope you realize there is a political component to this case, and by its very definition, the employment of a public official. Bill Lee's termination came early on in the case when rumors were rampant about "shoddy investigations" by the police department and medical examiner. All those rumors were false.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#21396 Dec 13, 2012
DillinghamLawFirm wrote:
<quoted text>
Bill Lee was the Chief of Police for Sanford PD, not the Sheriff of Seminole County. Police chiefs are at-will employees and can be fired (depending upon the constraints of their contracts). A sheriff cannot be fired (or "canned" as you put it) because he is an elected official. He can be removed by the Florida Governor for certain reasons, but again, the SCSO's Sheriff still very much has his job. Your statement was incorrect.
There were also many rallies held in Sanford to support Chief Bill Lee. I would hope you realize there is a political component to this case, and by its very definition, the employment of a public official. Bill Lee's termination came early on in the case when rumors were rampant about "shoddy investigations" by the police department and medical examiner. All those rumors were false.
I would wish to ask you, if the Sanford PD's initial intention, not to charge George Zimmerman, were'nt closer to the correct decision, than what is going on, right now? Also, do you concur that Chief Lee was somewhat a sacrificial lamb, for the manufactured outrage by media and black leaders(sic)?
Sallyomally

Sanford, FL

#21397 Dec 13, 2012
DillinghamLawFirm wrote:
<quoted text>
Sanford's loss..Chief Billy Lee will always be referred to as Chief. It's disgusting the way his reputation has been dragged through the mud to please the race baiters.(NAACP, Sharpton, Jackson)
Mayor Triplett's overriding of Chief Lee’s decision not to release the 911 tapes, and after a private viewing with all of the anti-Zimmerman forces in his office, Triplett went belly-up and gave them everything they demanded.

These officials have no integrity and didn't stand behind Chief Lee, instead they shoved him in the front lines and let HIM take the pressure off of them. Then Chief Lee gave his resignation and they refused to take it....firing sounds so much better.

I want to see his name cleared in this. You don't just throw away 27 years of service in the Seminole County Sheriff's office , fire him as Chief of Police and call it "no confidence" and think that's it.

Shame on all of them!

Location hidden

#21398 Dec 13, 2012
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> I would wish to ask you, if the Sanford PD's initial intention, not to charge George Zimmerman, were'nt closer to the correct decision, than what is going on, right now? Also, do you concur that Chief Lee was somewhat a sacrificial lamb, for the manufactured outrage by media and black leaders(sic)?
I must rephrase your question to reflect what the facts show. Sanford PD wanted to arrest Zimmerman. The revised police report and officers's testimony show this to be the case. Additionally, I'd argue that Mr. Zimmerman was under arrest due to being handcuffed and transported to the police department. He certainly wasn't free to leave. However, SPD will argue that Zimmerman went went willingly to the police department and was handcuffed for officer safety. The court cases can be argued either way, but the better argument is that Zimmerman was not going anywhere that night but to the police department.
The police officers took Zimmerman's clothing, firearm, and samples from his body (blood and gunshot residue from his hands, etc.). The officers conducted what appears to be, and in my experience as a police detective, was a very comprehensive and standard murder investigation. The allegations that it was somehow incompetent are patently false. There were numerous witnesses who saw parts of the incident who, in total, verified Zimmerman's narrative. The confrontation occurred close to Zimmerman's vehicle, which supports Zimmerman's statement that he was returning to it when Mr. Martin confronted him; Zimmerman had a laceration to the back of his skull, showing it had impacted a hard object at least once, supporting his claim that Martin was using deadly force by smashing it into the concrete; Zimmerman also had a broken nose and grass stains on the back of his clothing.
Martin's body had no damage other than to his dominate hand's ring finger and the gunshot wound, which was fired at close range. He had no facial trauma, which suggests he struck the only significant blows in the confrontation. One witness describes Martin as raining down MMA-style blows on Zimmerman.
The State Attorney's Office (SAO), based upon the evidence that Sanford PD gave them, declined to prosecute. The SAO felt it was a self-defense case that would not survive a "Stand Your Ground" hearing. The evidence has not changed. What changed was the political atmosphere. Obviously, there is a pointed political angle to this controversy. The evidence, by way of the revised police report, suggests Sanford PD attempted to avert a civil lawsuit by Zimmerman by modifying the police report to reflect there was Probable Cause to arrest Zimmerman.
I believe Chief Lee did a good job with what he had. There was little else he could do, but I also recognize that he needed a much better public relations officer to handle the controversy. Unfortunately, once these things spin out of control, they do so very badly, and someone usually becomes a sacrificial lamb.
The problem with such high-profile cases is that public sentiment gusts up to hurricane levels, and people get so riled up that they disregard the facts and the law. This is why we move cases to different venues, or as in the Casey Anthony trial, bring in jurors from outside venues. This case likely won't be tried here, and if it is, then jurors from a similar venue will be brought in to decide the Cade's outcome.

The interesting issue is that until the jury is empaneled, the State can amend its charging document, and charge Zimmerman with a lesser crime such as voluntary manslaughter. Once the jury is sworn in, though, Double Jeopardy attaches, and the State is foreclosed from modifying the charges. This may be a tactic the State is considering, but will not execute until the day of the trial, in order to avoid adverse publicity.

https://www.facebook.com/Dillingham.Law.Firm

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#21399 Dec 13, 2012
Thanks very much for your input....I have felt all along, that much of this is about politics and social outrage, rather than the specificsof the incident. Seem's to me that every piece of evidece, from the first day, has pointed totally to self-defense. Hard to imagine, just what the state has gathered to even justify it's charge? I keep waiting for the busy news day, when it's announced, they have dropped charges....
Sallyomally

Sanford, FL

#21400 Dec 13, 2012
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/multimedia/os-...

JIB JAB!!

Who is this woman???? Oh yes it's Natalie Jackson's Mother.

They have tried so hard to make a martyr out of Martin. Keep it in Goldsboro. Or better yet how about in Oliver's front yard...then she can just look out her window and praise Martin all she wants.

Location hidden

#21401 Dec 13, 2012
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Thanks very much for your input....I have felt all along, that much of this is about politics and social outrage, rather than the specificsof the incident. Seem's to me that every piece of evidece, from the first day, has pointed totally to self-defense. Hard to imagine, just what the state has gathered to even justify it's charge? I keep waiting for the busy news day, when it's announced, they have dropped charges....
You are quite welcome. I very much appreciate your civility. There is, shall we say, a marked lack of it in social media, and seemingly, an inability of many to disagree without needless acrimony.
I'll posit that the State sees this as a zero-sum, winner-take-all game.
Politically, it cannot drop the charges because there would be a tremendous public out-cry; instead, it will shift that burden to the jury. I don't think the judge--whom I highly respect--will dismiss the charges either after a "Stand Your Ground" hearing.

Location hidden

#21402 Dec 13, 2012
DillinghamLawFirm wrote:
<quoted text>
Your statement implies attorneys don't have free time or engage in social media.
I am not responsible for your inferences.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 min Rogue Scholar 05 222,260
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 9 min Aura Mytha 204,712
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 13 min Quirky 239,621
News Latinos: A New Immigration Plan From Donald Tru... 16 min ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 5
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 24 min VetnorsGate 1,417,185
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 31 min Quirky 393,372
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 40 min OzRitz 60,993
News Trump calls on GOP to improve African-American ... 1 hr Christians In Nam... 236
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 1 hr Surgit Tempestas 7,351
More from around the web