The President has failed us

The President has failed us

There are 393331 comments on the Times News story from Jun 9, 2012, titled The President has failed us. In it, Times News reports that:

This week, I decided to list the reasons I would not vote for Barack Obama in the next election.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Times News.

“Try Reuters.”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#163619 Jul 26, 2013
PRJester wrote:
<quoted text>
Being the "music aficionado" that you claim to be, I'm rather surprised that you don't recognize the pic. Perhaps that particular music was a bit too complex for you; or, maybe you're just a bit too young to have been exposed to it.
Gentle Giant?

“The "entitled" =communist.”

Since: May 10

MY MONEY, come take it.

#163621 Jul 26, 2013
Quirky wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Jack, Rest assured though the NSA monitors sites like Topix, Facebook and other chat rooms. It is but just one of the ways they keep tabs on what people think. And I think it`s not all about detecting terrorists.
Twitter for sure. They want control over everyone.

“Try Reuters.”

Location hidden

#163626 Jul 26, 2013
EAGLE EYE1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So what you are stating is you fully support the SYG laws right??
Eagle
No. That's not what I'm saying. What I said was that we have the Castle Law here in Kentucky, and if somebody threatens me or mine, I am prepared to defend myself. I don't go looking for trouble or delude myself that I am LE.

“ON THE PROWL”

Since: May 08

Rest well Brother

#163628 Jul 26, 2013
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Eagle. How goes it?
Good and yourself?? Personally I am doing really well and can't complain.. Course I keep pushing back bloodwork and docs visits.. They got me pinned down now have have to go monday for bloodwork and then on the 31'st for a followup..

Archie Bunker on Democrats

Eagle
freebird

Long Beach, CA

#163630 Jul 26, 2013
NTRPRNR1 wrote:
Is income inequality 'morally wrong'?
By John D. Sutter, CNN
Thu July 25, 2013
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/25/opinion/sutter-...
[EXCERPT:]
The size of the rich-poor gap matters
Some inequality is acceptable to pretty much everyone these days. No one is arguing for a fully equal society. But the degree of inequality really does matter when you're trying to determine whether inequality is moral or amoral, said Pogge, the Yale professor. When extreme inequality sets in, that's when social and political problems follow.
His best estimate for a fair distribution is the Palma Ratio, which measures how much income the top 10% earns compared to the bottom 40%. Ideally, those amounts would be equal, meaning the country would have a Palma Ratio of one. According to a calculation cited by the Danish Institute for International Studies, the United States has a 2010 Palma Ratio of 1.852, which is about the same as Burkina Faso but not as bad as China or South Africa.(In an earlier version of this column, I incorrectly estimated the U.S. Palma Ratio based on wealth instead of income. I should have let the experts handle that, and I regret the mistake). By Pogge's assessment, that means inequality here is too high. Negative consequences for our society will result.
Inequality is bad if the poor don't benefit, too
I'll end this list back on John Rawls, the philosopher whose 1971 book, "A Theory of Justice," is a must-read (or at least a must-become-familiar-with) for people interested in this topic. One of Rawls' theories is that inequality can be justified only when it benefits everyone in society, particularly those who are most poor and vulnerable.
If Rawls were creating a society from scratch, he would design it so that, in his words, "social and economic inequalities ... are to be to the greatest benefit of the least-advantaged members of society." If the rich making more will help the poor be better off, too, that's cool. If not, it's unfair, or amoral. For real-world reference, here's a quick look at CEO pay in the United States, from the AFL-CIO: The average S&P 500 CEO compensation in 2012, according to that labor group, was $12.3 million. A worker?$35,000. Do the poor benefit from that disparity? Does everyone? Anyone? I'll leave you to fight about that in the comments.(cont.)
I'm not defending the rich, but it seems that the stock market is through the roof (rich people getting richer), banks got bailed out, gas is through the roof at the pumps, etc. How are the poor doing under Obama and the Dems?
Agent K-9P

Los Angeles, CA

#163631 Jul 26, 2013
Sharrp Shooter wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL...link it peewee...
LOL! that's funny, Quirks & POS, peewee & pee stain!

“This is all a game”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#163633 Jul 26, 2013
positronium wrote:
<quoted text>I don't employ. I partner with partners.
The rest of your post is pure blather and bloviating just as the bed wetter that you are.
Partner? Yea...ok.

“Club Fed or Camp Cupcake?”

Since: Oct 10

White-Collar Minimum-Security

#163634 Jul 26, 2013
Sentencing begins for Somali pirates who killed Seattle couple
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Sentencing...
The decision to seek the death penalty was made by Attorney General Eric Holder. Executions under federal law are extremely rare, with only a handful out of more than 1,300 executions since 1976 having been carried out by the federal government, according to the Death Penalty Information Center, which tracks death penalty statistics and is opposed to the death penalty.

Eleven other defendants who were aboard the Quest have already pleaded guilty to piracy and have been sentenced to life in prison. During the murder trial, defense attorneys said jurors should question their testimony because they agreed to do so in exchange for the possibility of receiving a reduced sentence.

Four other suspected pirates were killed aboard the yacht. A fifth suspected pirate was released because he was a juvenile. Another man who prosecutors say was a land-based negotiator and the highest-ranking pirate they've ever captured has also been convicted of piracy and sentenced to a dozen life sentences in prison.

#163635 Jul 26, 2013
Kentucky Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>Fishing is fishing whether there is a fish in the pond or not. Go ask any game warden.
Almost Paradise: In China, The Largest Building in the World Has Its Own Sun
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/artinfo/largest...
Welcome to paradise!

In Chengdu, a booming tech industry hub in the Sichuan province, the 1.7-million-square-meter New Century Global Center opened at the beginning of July. The mammoth commercial complex, despite its landlocked location, features all the amenities of a vacation on the French Riviera: ample shopping, palm trees, fine hotels, a "Mediterranean" village, and a water park complete with an artificial beach.

“ON THE PROWL”

Since: May 08

Rest well Brother

#163637 Jul 26, 2013
NTRPRNR1 wrote:
<quoted text>No. That's not what I'm saying. What I said was that we have the Castle Law here in Kentucky, and if somebody threatens me or mine, I am prepared to defend myself. I don't go looking for trouble or delude myself that I am LE.
I am sorry I thought you posted this..

"LOL. Yes, we're good to go here too;-):
Castle Doctrine
Kentucky’s castle law authorizes the use of physical or deadly force when a person is confronted by a criminal attempting to commit a felony by use of force. The statute authorizes the use of force anywhere the victim has a right to be, inside or outside the home, and allows victims to “stand their ground,” not requiring a duty to retreat. The law does not protect victims from prosecution or civil lawsuit, however."

It appears you fully support the SYG laws.. Which is it??

Eagle

MY MONEY, come take it.

#163638 Jul 26, 2013
positronium wrote:
<quoted text>Ya gotta hit em back with pure logic and reason. There are anti American elements here. This I am sure of, Jack. Some don't think like American citizens do.
The other day I had to go measure a house for work. I was talking to the Mexican framer and I asked him what he thought about Zman being a "white hispanic". He blew up and his crew of 6 or 7 were going crazy talking in spanish, they all started laughing and he told me that was BS and no hispanic would ever accept that. He didn't care for Zman but cared even less for Martin. He said it was all BS....He also thought the immigration bill was BS. He said he was born in Houston to American parents. He said all his guys were born here also....When I hear things like this it helps form the opinions I have. I dont need anyone on here trying to convince me of some BS. I dont know of anyone who really cared about that case one way or the other.

#163639 Jul 26, 2013
Nurse Ratchit wrote:
<quoted text>
And you're about due for another shock therapy treatment inbred.
You can thank your mother for that.
How robots are eating the last of America’s—and the world’s—traditional manufacturing jobs
http://qz.com/53710/robots-are-eating-manufac...
Many have blamed this decline on outsourcing—the movement of factories to countries where labor is cheaper. And there’s no doubt that outsourcing has led to fewer factory jobs in the US and other rich countries.

And yet the US, like almost every other rich country on the planet, manufactures more stuff than it ever did. Manufacturers have replaced workers with machines—trading labor for capital. This means the manufacturing workers who remain are many times more productive than their forebears 50 years ago.
Quirky

Brighton, CO

#163640 Jul 26, 2013
Sharrp Shooter wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL...link it peewee...
========
Quirky wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Jack, Rest assured though the NSA monitors sites like Topix, Facebook and other chat rooms. It is but just one of the ways they keep tabs on what people think. And I think it`s not all about detecting terrorists

==========

Prime example of pre-human Mojado thinking.

“Try Reuters.”

Location hidden

#163641 Jul 26, 2013
freebird wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not defending the rich, but it seems that the stock market is through the roof (rich people getting richer), banks got bailed out, gas is through the roof at the pumps, etc. How are the poor doing under Obama and the Dems?
I think you should ask the Republican House who removed SNAP from the farm billl they just passed. After all, that was a Republican agenda:

Republicans who got farm subsidies targeted

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/07/republi...

By GINGER GIBSON | 7/22/13 6:00 AM EDT

House Democrats are targeting Republicans who receive farm subsidies but opposed a stripped-down farm bill with no food stamp assistance.

Fourteen GOP lawmakers have received a total of $7.2 million in farm subsidies, according to the available data since 2004, but all voted for an amendment that would have decreased the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program according to a report Rep. George Miller (D-Calif.) is releasing Monday.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/07/republi...

..........The farm bill originally included funding for SNAP, but when it failed to get enough votes in the House in June, Republicans stripped food stamp funding from the bill to gain enough GOP support for passage. In July, on a partisan vote, the farm bill passed without food stamp funding.

Only one of the 14 members listed in the report, Rep. Marlin Stutzman (R-Ind.), voted against the bill when it included SNAP benefits but for it once SNAP was removed.

Rep. Stephen Fincher (R-Tenn.) has received a total of $3.5 million in farm subsidies, according to numbers tracked by the lobbying firm Environmental Working Group. The company points out that according to his congressional filings, his net worth is between $204,995 and $1.1 million. And 22 percent of the residents of Fincher’s home county receive food stamps.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/07/republi...

MY MONEY, come take it.

#163642 Jul 26, 2013
Quirky wrote:
<quoted text>
One more thing Jack. If you look back about a year and a half ago on Roses pub, This thread, and the Hispanic`s fear thread. I took the same mindset as you about this. But it is a waste of time. Because the Crazies never stop trying to find something to get your goat.
Most of the time I just ignore them.

#163644 Jul 26, 2013
positronium wrote:
<quoted text>My sexuality is not your concern, wuss.
What Do You Know About Radicalism in America?
http://politix.topix.com/homepage/7172-what-d...
Revolutionists, anarchists, and terrorists, oh my! Test your knowledge of America's cutting-edge, edgy history of radicalism here.

#163645 Jul 26, 2013
positronium wrote:
Because I now carry shame....
Which Great American Writer Said This About Politics?
http://politix.topix.com/homepage/7119-which-...
'There is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress' said Mark Twain. His quote is typical of great American writers, who had few kind words for politicians. See if you know which writer said what!

“Try Reuters.”

Location hidden

#163646 Jul 26, 2013
EAGLE EYE1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sorry I thought you posted this..
"LOL. Yes, we're good to go here too;-):
Castle Doctrine
Kentucky’s castle law authorizes the use of physical or deadly force when a person is confronted by a criminal attempting to commit a felony by use of force. The statute authorizes the use of force anywhere the victim has a right to be, inside or outside the home, and allows victims to “stand their ground,” not requiring a duty to retreat. The law does not protect victims from prosecution or civil lawsuit, however."
It appears you fully support the SYG laws.. Which is it??
Eagle
It's neither. I support self-defense. I don't support any abuses of law or excuses to justify murder - which I believe the Stand Your Ground Law of Florida MAY very well allow. You shouldn't confuse Castle law with the Stand Your Ground law Florida:

http://cga.ct.gov/2012/rpt/2012-R-0172.htm

SUMMARY

The Castle Doctrine and “stand-your-ground” laws are affirmative defenses for individuals charged with criminal homicide. The Castle Doctrine is a common law doctrine stating that an individual has no duty to retreat when in his or her home, or “castle,” and may use reasonable force, including deadly force, to defend his or her property, person, or another. Outside of the “castle,” however, an individual has a duty to retreat, if able to do so, before using reasonable force. Stand-your-ground laws, by comparison, remove the common law requirement to retreat outside of one's “castle,” allowing an individual to use force in self-defense when there is reasonable belief of a threat. Deadly force is reasonable under stand-your-ground laws in certain circumstances, such as imminent great bodily harm or death.

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#163647 Jul 26, 2013
EAGLE EYE1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Good and yourself?? Personally I am doing really well and can't complain.. Course I keep pushing back bloodwork and docs visits.. They got me pinned down now have have to go monday for bloodwork and then on the 31'st for a followup..
Archie Bunker on Democrats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =7fqCS7Y_kMEXX
Eagle
OK, I guess. If I'd known how bad I feel at 63, I woulda never quit smoking and drinking. ;)

#163648 Jul 26, 2013
Kentucky Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>Well, let me know if you need someone to cover for ya buddy :)
U.S.: We Promise Not to Torture, Kill Edward Snowden
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/us-promise-tort...
"I have no doubt this is how it will be, no matter how the situation develops," the spokesperson said, according to Russia's state-owned RIA Novosti.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Louisiana newspaper say 'glad' Obama has now de... 3 min CrybabyRepublicans 174
News News 14 Mins Ago Trump rebukes racism claims as... 4 min Wholly Silicon Wafer 93
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 min Dogen 205,146
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min nanoanomaly 1,419,552
News Who is the real 'racist,' Clinton or Trump? Thi... 6 min Ronald 69
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 7 min Calvin_Coolish 239,659
News Trump calls on GOP to improve African-American ... 9 min CrybabyRepublicans 374
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 14 min taletha 16 7,909
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 28 min Rogue Scholar 05 222,634
More from around the web