The President has failed us

The President has failed us

There are 391738 comments on the Times News story from Jun 9, 2012, titled The President has failed us. In it, Times News reports that:

This week, I decided to list the reasons I would not vote for Barack Obama in the next election.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Times News.

higgans

Avon, IN

#97967 Jan 30, 2013
NTRPRNR1 wrote:
<quoted text>Not happy. If people think this will pass Congress, the borders will look like a traffic jam in the coming months. The promise of a way to earn citizenship (even if you get here next week, there are NO restrictions) is a deal breaker for me. There are no distinctions made for who may earn the pathway - except for criminals, and criminals have never had a pathway - so, no changes there.
This proposal does NOTHING for displaced American workers, and actually keeps the ones who were left behind even further behind the soon to be "former" illegals who replaced them. They're still on the outside looking in, and if wages do increase, they'll increase for the very people who replaced them.
I suppose I must acknowledge I am pouting and will oppose this plan. The worst part of this is I can't find anything in the plan that discourages future illegal immigration while it does guarantee that we'll very likely be receiving extended family members, many who probably have no skills or education themselves and whose options will be in the low wage sectors when they do get here.
Can you say "ongoing glut" - continuing low wages (maybe a tiny bit better, but low so long as more low skilled or unskilled folks keep turning up through expedited family reunification).
There are other parts of the proposal with which I have no disagreement (keeping graduates of our schools, affording pathway to citizenship to Dream Act candidates, making entry easier for those wishing to start businesses). But, the overall plan is a bummer as far as I'm concerned, because EVERYBODY not criminal qualifies, and it will have an impact on Social Security and Medicare that we can ill afford as well as welfare programs once LPR is earned.
Did I get any part of that wrong or miss something?
tell me/us something: how is there upoosed to be real debate about immigration 'reform' when any talk about enforcing laws, deporting illegals, raiding work places/rallies, cracking down on sanctuary cities/states, States enforcing immigration laws, etc. are all met with cries of racism and xenophobia?
all elected reps are ONLY human and want to be liked AND re-elected.
you do realize that folks can have STRONG feelings and opinions about any subject and NOT be racists and baby-killers or haters of the poor, right?
apparently the Progressives have finally come to 'fixing' something you disagree with them on.lol
GOOD!
you voted for this, revel in it, enjoy it...
how silly

Flushing, NY

#97968 Jan 30, 2013
how silly
higgans

Avon, IN

#97969 Jan 30, 2013
Vorenus wrote:
They also need to immediately declare that only those who have been here illegally prior to let's say 2010 are elligible for amnesty.
We then would discourage potential amnesty seekers from flooding our Country.
hey, I know, since we are going to pick and choose which laws we shall enforce and which we shan't, how about we grant amnesty to muggers and rapists and con-artists, too? I mean, IF they haven't committed their crimes since, oh, 2008 or 2006 or 2010... pick a year, any year.
whatsa' matter, can't ur big ol' Fed Govt fix the pwoblem the FIRST time?
guess what, it ain't those wascally Wepublicans standing in the way of PROGRESS on this one!lol
your side won, Obama won... guess who loses...
(let's see: 11 million illegals and about 11 million UN-employed. sounds about right to me.:))

“Rico's Are Everywhere”

Since: Dec 09

Gangland, North America

#97970 Jan 30, 2013
Hell on Hee1s wrote:
<quoted text>
They must be =)
I was/am Hell on Heels!
I came to say what I wanted to and did. In an adult and jocular way.
I've got better places to post tonight.=)
I applaud you 'Old Man' for your tenacity, and some of your fellow posters. They know who I am talking about.
This site is sick with jealous, gluttonous, and greedy perverts.
You still pretending that you're not American Lady?
higgans

Avon, IN

#97971 Jan 30, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
The "fact sheet" I've been reading seems to be heavy on rhetoric and a little light on the facts.
All generalities and talking points and positively glowing about what a brilliant "common sense" plan this is.
Makes me suspicious from the start.
I'd like to see something in writing that explains exactly how they plan to accomplish the things they're talking about.
Any idea where a person could find something like that? Just the facts without all the editorial.
NOW you want specifics?LOL
you guys kill me.... really.
aren't the current immigration laws SPECIFIC enough?
the FG chosing NOT to enforce them is very specific as to ITS intentions as concerns citizens' rights and illegals/non-citizens.
one could say OUR FG is down right ANTI-American when it comes to immigration, couldn't one?
an illegal caught trespassing on private property gets a 'pathway' to citizenship and the American property owner that catches him gets arrested/sued! that's rich!! that's PROGRESS!!!
higgans

Avon, IN

#97973 Jan 30, 2013
NTRPRNR1 wrote:
<quoted text>It is NOTHING like my plan. You never understood what I proposed in the first place. Never. I made distinctions fro the beginning, and the possibility of some (long term residents and the EMPLOYED TAX CONTRIBUTORS AND FILERS) converting to TGW status. Beyond that, I'm not opposed to the Dreamers, because they came as children at the whims of parents. They had no choice. We've educated them, and this is the only home most of them know.
If you can't follow what was outlined, bow out bozo. Thank you.
oh, I disagree, NTR. you made YOUR plan clear on Nov 6th.lol
hurry, hurry, hurry...

“Rico's Are Everywhere”

Gangland, North America

#97975 Jan 30, 2013
rooster wrote:
Why can't we do something simpler like fix Mexico?? What the heck is broke down there anyhow that these people keep flocking here in the first place?? Canada seems to be doing well.... good neighbor and all.... no need to worry about them crossing the border. But here we have these Mexicans who won't stay in their own yard?? I can't figure it... We go to Kuwait to protect those people from the Iraqi invasion... and yet we want to roll out the welcome mat for our own invaders....???
The disparity in wages between Mexico and the USA plus the border proximity both Nations share is the driving force to why the USA has a high amount of illegal aliens from Mexico.

If the USA shared a border with China... we'd all be hearing Chinese hate around here instead of the constant Mexican hate.

Anyways... I do find that the USA has some screwed up priorities by nation building nations that hate the USA while completely ignoring the American homestead.

“Rico's Are Everywhere”

Gangland, North America

#97977 Jan 30, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are certifiably insane.
How many of these accounts do you have anyway?
Just curious.
Poor Goat Rider... he's such a miserable troll. It be one thing if he came here for shits & giggles... you know, fling some mud and make some friends but he makes it very obvious that his sole purpose here to hate and to the utmost.

As for his accounts... he makes them as they get banned. That's a no brainer.

“Rico's Are Everywhere”

Gangland, North America

#97978 Jan 30, 2013
-- OId Man -- wrote:
<quoted text>
Reported for condescending a participant of the community.
Have a good night.
Sorta difficult to consider yourself part of the community when you get banned a few times a month.
higgans

Avon, IN

#97979 Jan 30, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a fairly conservative liberal.
My husband is a moderately liberal conservative.
;)
ur 'husband' and u are not a woman... oh, I get it now.
anybody know what happened to my fellow Hoosier... the gay married one?
people in glass houses, etc....

“Rico's Are Everywhere”

Gangland, North America

#97980 Jan 30, 2013
Libs suck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, thats because you are a moron and a blithering hypocrite.
I see it's computer hour at the mental ward.

“Rico's Are Everywhere”

Gangland, North America

#97981 Jan 30, 2013
Libs suck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh dear the unemployed spell check nazi got me.
Stick to molesting farm animals boy.
So how does that work???

You make up things about people... believe your own lies and that makes you feel good about yourself?

Out of curiously... what encouraged you to bring up unemployment and zoophilia?

Keep in mind... you brought it all up, not I.

“Rico's Are Everywhere”

Gangland, North America

#97982 Jan 30, 2013
NTRPRNR1 wrote:
<quoted text>Condescending is an adjective - not a verb. Do you follow? Not a verb.
I was in a community center yesterday dropping off some canned foods that my daughter gathered as part of her school community outreach program and seen all over the wall that they offer free English classes... the Old Man should take one.

“Rico's Are Everywhere”

Gangland, North America

#97983 Jan 30, 2013
higgans wrote:
<quoted text>
ur 'husband' and u are not a woman... oh, I get it now.
anybody know what happened to my fellow Hoosier... the gay married one?
people in glass houses, etc....
Not trying to pick a fight with you but are you a gay hater?

“Rico's Are Everywhere”

Gangland, North America

#97984 Jan 30, 2013
positronium wrote:
<quoted text>Absoutely agree.
Why does is the USA need so much military funding? It's hardly ever used it to defend our own nation. We're fed bullsh*t by both lib & con media that we're fighting terrorism abroad but what's really going on is the US military industrial complex is doing what every Imperialist Dynasty has done in the past and that's destroy other nations to get rich.

Todays USA is no different than the Roman Empire, Spanish Conquistadors or the British regarding their conquest of the world.

And guess what? They all failed because they spread themselves too thin.

But you want to support the feeding of that demise.

My hats off to you and your support for the destruction of the USA.

“ON THE PROWL”

Since: May 08

Rest well Brother

#97985 Jan 30, 2013
jackson wrote:
<quoted text>
They should not be able to earn their green cards ahead of those who came here legally.
Some recent suggestions I think are appropriate: no illegal can be granted citizenship unless they leave and come back in a proper manner. They can receive work visas or green cards, but not citizenship.
The other good idea I heard was to set a number -- a number which says that no more than X million illegals will be covered by this policy. If we have documented 11 million illegals, then that number should be 11 million.
Read page 2 of the PDF from the senate's version.. No green cards will be released till all security measures are completed.. Like that will ever happen..

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/28/politics/immigr...

Eagle

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#97986 Jan 30, 2013
Gunner wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice of you to introduce yourself, lady.
The only way you can appear even remotely appealing is to mask your identity, to deceive. Eventually though, your true character emerges, a common theme among Democrats these days.

“Rico's Are Everywhere”

Gangland, North America

#97987 Jan 30, 2013
EAGLE EYE1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Read page 2 of the PDF from the senate's version.. No green cards will be released till all security measures are completed.. Like that will ever happen..
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/28/politics/immigr...
Eagle
All congress has to do is say, "the border is secure" and on with the green cards. It's no wonder why the MSM is on a marathon with the "ask the ranchers about border security".
Pok Guy

Plymouth, MN

#97988 Jan 30, 2013
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>The birthright citizenship issue is never addressed and no matter what they think, it IS an impetus for coming here...getting perks for doing nothing more than having babies. Rubio says no welfare for them, but yet their kids WILL bring freebies into their home. It's nuts, and will encourage more to come. Ice and the border agents' hands have been tied, and more "immigrants" WILL depress wages for OUR unskilled workers. It's not good, any way you look at it.
Republican nonsense. You imply that many folks come here just to have anchor babies so they can then get welfare. You made this arbitrary assumption because you have no idea what the percentage is. It's a nice myth, but remains an arbitrary assumption. And what's arbitrarily affirmed is arbitrarily denied.

Second, of the 40% who enter legally and fail to return, about half are students and the other half are individuals who have specialized skills (i.e., in math and engineering) and receive substantial salaries. They're productive and pay taxes.

Third, the menial jobs illegals have are given to them by employers who like the cheap labor. It's disingenuous to believe that if all illegals left tomorrow, employers would increase the wages for these menial jobs. Rather, as any employer does, they'll just pass that cost onto the consumer. In which case, you complain yet again.

Fourth, nearly 70% of employed illegals pay taxes yet nearly all of the employers of these employed illegals deduct no taxes from the pay. As with number 3 above, it's the employer who's really getting a sweet deal with this cheap labor by exploiting both the illegals legal status and the US citizens' ignorance (for example, your own).

Fifth, as a die-hard capitalist, here's something that should resonate with you: there would be no supply of illegals if there was no demand for them.
higgans

Avon, IN

#97989 Jan 30, 2013
Rico from East Los II wrote:
<quoted text>
Not trying to pick a fight with you but are you a gay hater?
was there a gay slur in my post or are u just looking to attribute one?
check out any/all of my posts from these past five years and see if u can find one... or a racist remark... or anti-women.
the trouble with dialogue today is that one side seems to only hear what it wants... without regard to what is actually said (see my post to NTR about meaningful immigraton debate).
again, is there a SLUR in my post? no? then why did YOU ask such a pointed question?
I voted against Obama... TWICE. does that make me a racist, too?
I'm Pro Choice... does that make me a Liberal?
I believe in a Hgher Power... does that make me a religious fanatic?
I am an agnostic... does that make me an atheist?
I am a vet and own multiple guns and spout anti-Big Govt opinions... does that make me a domestic terrorist?
I believe in fiscal conservatism and low Income Taxes... does that make me a frightwinger?
I believe that the FG has NO business in the welfare business... does that make me a baby-killer and anti-poor folks?
this past election, I voted for Romney... does that make me a registered Republican?
in my state's Primary, I voted for Ron Paul... does that make me an unregistered Libertarian?
you tell me...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Top StoryObama signs bill requiring labeling of... 8 min Jack 7
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min RoxLo 1,406,181
News Pentagon says no US military support for Turkey... 12 min Orlando 1
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 29 min Dr Guru 219,774
News Small medical plane with 4 aboard goes missing ... 31 min Jack 1
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 32 min Cornelius Scudmister 233,673
News Courts strike blows to GOP voter restrictions i... 34 min Nu Wor Order 3
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 1 hr Black Russian 5,757
News Poll: Trump supporters unfazed by reversal on s... 2 hr ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 329
News Clinton Wins Democratic Nomination; Gets Boost ... 5 hr ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 104
More from around the web