The President has failed us

There are 328249 comments on the Times News story from Jun 9, 2012, titled The President has failed us. In it, Times News reports that:

This week, I decided to list the reasons I would not vote for Barack Obama in the next election.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Times News.

Snake Eyes

Long Beach, CA

#97940 Jan 30, 2013
Is 'tit-for-tat' diplomacy silly?

Not at all. In fact, such seemingly petty strategy keeps tiffs from growing into wars.

As President Obama starts his second term, a quick scan of global headlines might appear to reveal a bleak picture of a world coming off its hinges. The hope of the Arab Spring has given way to a hotbed of hostage-taking in Algeria and humanitarian disasters in Syria. Meanwhile, border clashes in Kashmir and high tension in the South Pacific suggest a wider war might be imminent.

But beneath the surface, and as the world becomes a more multipolar place, a different — almost more petty — kind of dynamic is coming to define international politics. Let's call it "tit for tat" for the sake of simplicity.

Consider Russia, which just banned Americans from adopting its orphans. The move was in direct retaliation to legislation before Congress to ban Russian officials accused of human rights abuses from traveling to the United States.

Ditto in Israel. After the Palestinians sought limited statehood from the United Nations, Israel responded by withholding funds and announcing an expansion of settlements in a sensitive region linking East Jerusalem to the West Bank.

Indonesia recently warned China against "tit-for-tat" actions against its neighbors with regards to its claims to the South China Sea.

The Indian-Pakistani dispute arose out of "tit-for-tat" shots across a disputed line in Kashmir.

At first glance, it would seem that foreign affairs have been reduced to petty schoolyard antics, whereby verbal taunts can easily escalate into playground brawls. While this kind of Golden Rule of "do unto others ... " might mean more uncertainty, it does not necessarily mean more conflict. After all, anyone who's taken a game theory course knows that sometimes a tit-for-tat response is a player's best strategy, given the alternatives.

'Evolution of cooperation'

In the 1980s, political scientist Robert Axelrod claimed such a strategy can bring about the "evolution of cooperation" between players. In other words, understanding grows between states that deal with each other regularly, such as Japan and China or the U.S. and Russia. The basics of the game require that players cooperate, unless their opponent defects (or carries out some hostile act) in which case you should reciprocate.

This kind of behavior is not new. Consider when two countries in a tiff withdraw their ambassadors. Instead of escalating, such crises tend to simmer down, and ambassadors return to their desks.

Dicey advice?

This approach might sound like dicey advice for world leaders, but it precludes them from being the first to take provocative action, which means no more pre-emptive wars of the kind we saw in the wake of 9/11.

Part of tit-for-tat is a reflection of America's growing inability to cajole its allies to do its bidding. Nor does Washington possess the necessary power to punish its enemies into submission. Hence, North Korea test fires its missiles, Syria keeps slaughtering its citizens and centrifuges in Iran continue to spin. While "turning the other cheek" might seem the preferable path toward peace, a strategy of tit-for-tat can help keep simmering crises under wraps.

Russia's ban on American adoptions reflects a nasty reflex driven by wounded pride and rising nationalism. But nobody thinks this latest contretemps will trigger a military confrontation. That might not seem like progress. But a do-unto-others grand strategy might perversely bring some modicum of peace.

Read more: http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/01...

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#97941 Jan 30, 2013
holdencolfield75 wrote:
<quoted text>Is the internet normal?
Of course those loons would love to see me banned. Every single one of them. Cheers!

“God Bless our Republic”

Since: Nov 12

Warrior for USA

#97942 Jan 30, 2013
Any Redneck Sunday

Uploaded on Jun 27, 2011
*no turkey nests were harmed during the filming of this stupidness* Please realize that this video is not to be taken seriously. We're just Western North Carolina/Appalachian Mountain Natives living life. If you're not redneck, you probably think we are. If you are super redneck, then you probably think we aren't.. It really doesn't matter. This is just us having fun on the weekends and catching it on film. I hope you enjoy, and if not, attempt to keep your negativity to yourself.. Thanks.

“God Bless our Republic”

Since: Nov 12

Warrior for USA

#97943 Jan 30, 2013

“MUAH”

Since: Jan 13

OOH RAH

#97944 Jan 30, 2013
Patriot Warrior wrote:
OBAMA JOB APPROVAL RATING LOWER THAN NIXON'S
According to Gallup, President Obama is tied with George W. Bush for most unpopular re-elected president since Gallup began measuring presidential job-approval in 1945.
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/...
Interesting and it does make sense with the comparison with GW Bush.. Never thought of it that way till now with the "re-elected" title...
Snake Eyes

Long Beach, CA

#97946 Jan 30, 2013
Can the GOP Be Saved? The Myth of the Demographic Fix

Conventional wisdom holds that as African Americans, Asians, Hispanics, and gays increase their political clout, Republicans must devise a way of reaching out to these critical demographic groups. Is this wisdom correct?

The four more years that the American electorate has granted President Obama will most likely be spent by the Republicans in feuding over the soul and destiny of their party. From the point of view of making the next Republican presidential nominee electable, it is difficult to imagine a worse strategy. After all, the last great Republican feud — the one that broke out between President Taft and Teddy Roosevelt in 1912 — ended in the election of a Democrat, Woodrow Wilson, and the current feud may put yet another Democrat in the White House in 2016. Yet there seems no way around the coming feud, and this fact by itself is a bit puzzling.

It is not unusual, after all, for an American political party to question what went wrong after being defeated in a presidential contest. From such Monday-morning quarterbacking can come insights into the causes of defeat that can be used over the next four years to help the party turn itself around. This is how Republicans could have handled the 2012 election. For example, they might have gathered around a consensus explanation of their defeat that put the blame entirely on the shoulders of their candidate Mitt Romney, a man whose shortcomings as a candidate were sadly evident even to his warmest supporters. From this analysis would come a simple recommendation: next time around, nominate a candidate who has the common touch and perhaps a healthy dose of that elusive thing called charisma. Otherwise stay the course.

Instead of this low-key scenario, a far more dramatic reading of the last election has received wide attention. According to this point of view, Republican defeat in 2012 had little to do with Romney’s chronic inability to inspire even lukewarm enthusiasm. Rather, it was a judgment on the Republican Party’s refusal to come face-to-face with the new demographic realities of the United States in the 21st century.

There seems no way around the coming feud, and this fact by itself is a bit puzzling.
To put it bluntly, white voters — the traditional bulwark of the Republican Party — count for less than they used to. Those white voters who are more or less traditionalist in their basic values no longer carry the demographic weight sufficient to make the Republican Party a viable option in future elections. As African Americans, Asians, Hispanics, and gays increase their political clout in the coming years, the Republican Party must devise a way of reaching out to these critical demographic groups, assuming that it wishes to avoid the fate of the Federalist, the Whig, and the dodo bird.

For the sake of convenience, we will call this recommended solution “the demographic fix.” Widen the demographic appeal of the party and victory will be ours — so goes the advice that many distinguished Republican moderates, including General Colin Powell, have been offering their party, to widespread acclaim and approval by the liberal media.

There can be no doubt that the advice is well-intentioned and sincerely offered, yet it is hard to imagine any advice more impractically muddleheaded, since it utterly ignores the fact that all politics is fundamentally a jockeying for positions of power and influence among rival interest groups. If the different agendas of different interest groups were all in harmony and could all be carried out at the same time without conflict, there would be no need for politics as we know it.

Read more: http://www.american.com/archive/2013/january/...

“MUAH”

OOH RAH

#97947 Jan 30, 2013
Patriot Warrior wrote:
FBI raids Florida eye clinic of donor linked to Sen. Bob Menendez’s prostitution scandal
Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/30/fbi-raids-o...
And to think, he is one of the senators on the CIR committee...
Ale Eight One

Danville, KY

#97948 Jan 30, 2013
(RELATED: In graduate thesis, John Brennan argued for government censorship:“Too much freedom is possible”)

“For example … it would be nice to be able to put Hezbollah in a category of being totally evil, but Hezbollah as an organization is a very complex one that has terrorist arm to it. It has a social and political nature to it as well.”

“You can’t divide the world into good and evil,” Brennan continued.“There is a lot of good out there that tends to be camouflaged along with the evil. What we need to do as a government and a people is to really have a better appreciation of the needs and the challenges that people throughout the world face.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/30/obama-cia-n...

“MUAH”

OOH RAH

#97949 Jan 30, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
Over on the mods thread while you were whining about what a victim you are you said something about me knowing "your voice".
Did we used to date?
You're not the creep that was stalking me because I dumped your a*s are ya?
"you said something about me knowing "your voice"."

I just noticed that and obviously missed it the first time.

Go back and read that post, Jaxx. I said with a "Tommy Lee Jones southern drawl"

You do know who Tommy Lee Jones is, don't cha? An actor who has used a southern drawl in some of his movies.

My voice is similiar in sounding like his. Thus the reason for saying, "you now know my voice".

My Gawd are you ever paranoid and sooooooo into yourself.. Ain't no wonder you get called fruit loops...
Ale Eight One

Danville, KY

#97950 Jan 30, 2013
In graduate thesis, John Brennan argued for government censorship:‘Too much freedom is possible’

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/23/in-graduate...

In his 1980 graduate thesis at the University of Texas at Austin, John Brennan denied the existence of “absolute human rights” and argued in favor of censorship on the part of the Egyptian dictatorship.

“Since the press can play such an influential role in determining the perceptions of the masses, I am in favor of some degree of government censorship,” Brennan wrote.“Inflamatory [sic] articles can provoke mass opposition and possible violence, especially in developing political systems.”

Brennan serves as President Barack Obama’s national security advisor. Obama has nominated him to lead the Central Intelligence Agency.(RELATED: Obama nominates Hagel as Defense secretary, Brennan as CIA chief)

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/23/in-graduate...

“MUAH”

OOH RAH

#97951 Jan 30, 2013
freebie wrote:
Oh, she lies like a rug. Nutty as a fruit cake too. Hates everything and everyone.
Yup...
Snake Eyes

Long Beach, CA

#97952 Jan 30, 2013
What Do Frat Boys and the Republican Party Have in Common?

On the face of things, it feels just a little too easy to equate today’s Republican Party with a bunch of over-entitled frat boys. Sure, George W. Bush spent most of a decade doing his level best to seal the connection in our minds with his famed ability to keep even close associates in their place by giving them passive-aggressively bullying nicknames like “Turd Blossom,” and sure, it’s easy to look at campus organizations filled mostly with smug, privileged white guys and guess how they’ll end up voting, but still, it’s all just a little too easy, right? The cheapest of cheap shots?

Well, no. Thanks to National Review, we can now affirm that the guys in Omega Theta Pi aren’t just a bunch of keg-loving douchebag brahs. They’re more complex than that: They’re a bunch of keg-loving douchebag brahs for liberty.

“Are Frat Brothers Natural Conservatives?” the magazine asks.

The answer? Yes. And apparently this is a virtue!

“As college students head back to school for spring semester, most will enter largely anti-conservative atmospheres,” National Review’s Betsy Woodruff wrote last week.“But for many, the Greek system may offer a respite from the typical environment of academia — or at least a safe and non-judgmental place to believe in limited government and free enterprise.”

How does this love of limited government express itself? By making a mess of the campus for everybody else who lives and works there.

The key anecdote in Woodruff’s piece, it turns out, emerges from Dartmouth University, where administrators placed restrictions on the number of kegs available for frat house parties. Chris Bowen, a 2002 graduate of Dartmouth, explained what happened next:

The keg rules, though, seemed to do the most to disabuse members of the Greek system of any romantic notions about central planning.“Eventually the leftists had to admit that that was an environmental disaster for the college,” he says,“because it wasn’t that kids wouldn’t drink. It was that we started buying racks of 20-ounce cans. And so pretty soon we were just filling the trash cans and the dumpsters and the recycling bins, to the extent that we could find them, with all these cans, and they were causing a lot of pollution.” As far as Bowen could tell, the university’s anti-drinking measures did nothing to actually reduce drinking.

Get that? Darmouth, you see, has a pretty widely documented problem with binge-drinking on its campus.(This, seriously, is the university’s “unofficial mascot.”) And instead of trying to help solve or address the problem, Dartmouth’s frat boys—with cheering from National Review—choose to circumvent the rules and celebrate that they’ve made things a little worse. You didn’t stop the drinking, but now we’ve made a mess! Joke’s on you! It’s self-centered and anti-community—and yeah, that’s a package seems to perfectly represent too much of modern conservatism.

But that’s how it goes for the magazine’s celebration of the Greek system. We’re given no real examples of a “limited government” embrace—instead, we’re shown that Republicans and the frat boys share a disdain for pointy-headed liberals and intellectuals: Feminists, journalists, and the rest. In fact, Woodruff writes, many of the Greeks favor abortion rights and gay marriage while paying lip service to fiscal conservatism. Which means the frat boys she depicts in the piece aren’t really conservative, so much: They’re right-wing tribalists. There’s a difference, believe it or not—but if that’s how America’s leading conservatives see themselves, why should the rest of us treat them any differently?

That difference, after all, seems meaningless to today’s modern Republican Party, which seems mostly to know what it’s against—President Obama—than what it’s for.

Read more: http://blogs.phillymag.com/the_philly_post/20...

“MUAH”

OOH RAH

#97953 Jan 30, 2013
NTRPRNR1 wrote:
<quoted text>Okay! Keep your song. I know it has some kind of special significance for you, or else you wouldn't have posted it. Anyhow, I don't like it anyway. You can have it. Bad memories:-)
Awe, what, you ain't got no humor..

You are a strange woman, I will give you that much. What woman smiles after sayin' something gives em bad memories.. growling sigh...lol
Another late one

Danville, KY

#97954 Jan 30, 2013
Candidate For Nevada Governor: No Need To Impeach Obama; He Was Never Eligible - VIDEO BELOW:- Hat tip CommieBlaster.

http://thesteadydrip.blogspot.jp/2013/01/cand...

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#97956 Jan 30, 2013
NTRPRNR1 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm reluctant to answer;-) But, you can probably tell by how many nasty judge-its I get in the next few minutes.
What do you think of the President's immigration proposal? Personally, I don't see anything in these proposals that does one thing for the American and legal immigrant workers they replaced, and what in these formulas is designed to discourage others from coming to wait for their turns? Securing the border(s) only prevents 60% of the problem - even if you believe we can successfully block border jumpers, and I don't think we can in the first place. What's the plan for th 40% who enter on legal visas and never go home again? Last, this TGW program for jobs Americans "just won't do" is also disingenuous. That guarantees wages will stay in the toilet, because Americans just won't do jobs that pay less than a survivable wage - if they have any choice. If not, they're still competing for a race to the lowest possible wage.
At any rate, I'm not happy because it's not very different than we did last time, and now there are at least 11-12 more people here illegally. What's going to stop that from happening again going forward?
The birthright citizenship issue is never addressed and no matter what they think, it IS an impetus for coming here...getting perks for doing nothing more than having babies. Rubio says no welfare for them, but yet their kids WILL bring freebies into their home. It's nuts, and will encourage more to come. Ice and the border agents' hands have been tied, and more "immigrants" WILL depress wages for OUR unskilled workers. It's not good, any way you look at it.
Quirky

Denver, CO

#97957 Jan 30, 2013
Hell on Hee1s wrote:
<quoted text>
The libs DREW 'first blood'
The Conservatives ARE 'giving' it back!
First Blood
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =g7PbS6sdiZoXX
Get three coffins ready

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Quirky

Denver, CO

#97958 Jan 30, 2013
-- O1d Man -- wrote:
<quoted text>
What's up punk?
S-Up Rico?

“MUAH”

OOH RAH

#97959 Jan 30, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never laughed while I was reprotng threats before, but then it's been a strange night all the way around.
That loser has crossed over into pervert territory again.
Pervert terrotory?

How so? Because you got beat? Works for me, Jaxx. Only peoblem is you being able to prove it and really put the screws to me... And you just can't do that, can ya?

You and your friends talk about me being banned. Why? To do it to discredit me, right? To who are you discrediting me to? Anonymous posters? Yep. What did you achieve? Some agree with me, some don't. What have you altered? Anything? Yeah, that's kinda what I thought. Absolutely nothing but a moment of glee of wishful thinking on your part.. Hey, at least you and your friends were able to be all giddy for that moment and do chest rubs for a warm fuzzy... Oooooooh, I bet that just made you feel tickled pink all over...

How's the post collecting going?

“MUAH”

OOH RAH

#97960 Jan 30, 2013
gzeena wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course those loons would love to see me banned. Every single one of them. Cheers!
Jaxx and his flamers have been trying their damndest.
I do not know what it is about people. They don't like liars, but then they really hate honesty... I do not think, I will ever figure it out on theirs or Topix standards...

“MUAH”

OOH RAH

#97961 Jan 30, 2013
Patriot Warrior wrote:
Any Redneck Sunday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =b93IADAxt-AXX
Uploaded on Jun 27, 2011
*no turkey nests were harmed during the filming of this stupidness* Please realize that this video is not to be taken seriously. We're just Western North Carolina/Appalachian Mountain Natives living life. If you're not redneck, you probably think we are. If you are super redneck, then you probably think we aren't.. It really doesn't matter. This is just us having fun on the weekends and catching it on film. I hope you enjoy, and if not, attempt to keep your negativity to yourself.. Thanks.
LMAO... Good video.. Reminds me when we were kids.. The only difference, it's in color with audio these days. lol. City slicker kids just don't know what they are missing. And neither do their parents.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 6 min Eagle 12 7,213
News All Los Angeles County Jails on Lockdown (Feb '06) 8 min Johnny 1,710
Bain Capital Accepted A Bailout (Sep '12) 9 min swedenforever 6
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 12 min Mothra 53,457
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 16 min FastandFurious 189,631
News Sunnis Big Losers in Iraq Elections, PM al-Mali... (May '14) 23 min BMZs estranged twin 9
News The right therapy for LGBT youth 32 min zyondra 292
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 35 min Jay 182,217
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr John Galt 1,232,042
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr DanFromSmithville 163,678
News Riots in Baltimore raise questions about police... 2 hr NoahLovesU 1,976
More from around the web