Does Obama prove US is colorblind?

Jan 7, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: China Daily

“America's becoming more open-minded”

Updated: 2008-01-07 07:22 US Senator Barack Obama's convincing win in Thursday's caucuses in Iowa - a state with just a smattering of minority voters - demonstrated his support crosses racial lines and ... via China Daily

Comments
61 - 80 of 284 Comments Last updated Jan 15, 2008

“Rational thoughts appreciated”

Since: Aug 07

Millstadt, IL

#76 Jan 8, 2008
runningscared wrote:
i dont care what color obama is. is no one else out there worried about is religious upbringing?isnt he of the same faith that the terrorist that blew up our coutry is? do you feel a secret take over is under way/
Not all Muslims are terrorists!!! You can't live by the idealism behind "a few rotten apples spoil the bunch." The terrorists behind 9/11 were not Americans, so comparing American Muslims to Middle Eastern Muslims is more like comparing apples to applesauce...there are similarities, but there are still majorily different.

Along a similar vein, hardcore Christians are behind the bombings that have occurred at clinics across the country, so should we assume all Christians are terrorists, like their extremist counterparts? Absolutely not.
Sarcasm

United States

#77 Jan 8, 2008
Yes, Obama bin Laden...and American...BS...he's belongs a president of Kenya,where he was born..

He's the one who pushes for the billion dollars a year for Kenya...the great Senator from Africa.

Color blind...stupid is the word.

Let's bring in 100,000 African Muslims a year would be his goal as president...terrorism personified..a better welfare state.

“YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!”

Since: Feb 07

Guantanamo Bay, Cuba

#78 Jan 8, 2008
WAY COOLER THAN YOU wrote:
RACISM IS SO INTRENCHED IN THE PSYCHE OF AMERICA, THAT ONE MAN'S QUEST FOR THE PRESIDENCY WILL HAVE LITTLE OR NO EFFECT. YOU WILL ALWAYS HAVE RACIST IN AMERICA.
You have racism just about everywhere in the world. In fact, America is just about one of the LEAST racist countries I have been in.

“Common sense is not so common.”

Ft Logic USA

#79 Jan 8, 2008
WAY COOLER THAN YOU wrote:
RACISM IS SO ENTRENCHED IN THE PSYCHE OF AMERICA, THAT ONE MAN'S QUEST FOR THE PRESIDENCY WILL HAVE LITTLE OR NO EFFECT. YOU WILL ALWAYS HAVE RACIST IN AMERICA.
Well it seems that you have an "entrenched" view of all this as well. Try to help the problem insted of hurting it. If you insist that all the white people who voted for Obama in Iowa are rubes and idiots, what does that say for you.

“In the rustling of the leaves”

Since: Dec 07

Washington, D.C.

#80 Jan 8, 2008
Obama's high-quality goods. He puts on a great show: cultured, civilized, educated... He stands tall, he talks the talk. But he really worries me. I feel an undercurrent of arrogance. He KNOWS he's all that. He thinks he's a cut above. Every time he uses the phrases about Giving America Back to the American People I pick up a shadow of contempt. His campaign is all in his head. I don't trust him. When lives are on the line, when decisions have to be made to serve the greater good...I don't see him having a clear line of sight. He THINKS he's competent, he THINKS he's supremely suited to the office of President... But I don't see his fine IDEA of himself in office the same way as he does. I feel he lacks breadth and depth... the inner substance necessary to maintain consistent strength of focus. I am not secure in thinking he would be America's best choice going toe-to-toe with the enemies of peace and democracy overwhelming the earth today.
And Michelle. Everything I've ever heard her say is so much subservient hero-drivel. She's a might haughty, too. But their daughters surely are fascinating and beautiful. So I'm just waiting and watching. I can't shake the feeling that the candidates will reveal their true timbre before election time.
And one last thing. I think why Edwards is lagging so far behind?(Even tho of all of them I really find him sincere and likable). People just don't know what to think of him, running for office while his wife is slowly perishing from terminal cancer. Yeah, she insisted he run, and yeah, yeah, yeah....but it's hard to figure they don't have much more time together, and if he wins, she'll die in the white house!(If not before.) Most people think they would put their plans on hold to spend the last days with a loved one. It's got to be more than ambition on his part, right?
Pat

Granby, CT

#81 Jan 8, 2008
No, it proves most whites embrace individualism, it says nothng about blacks. Blacks have shown they will favor black candidates for no other reason then they are black. The reelection of the prostitute patronizing crack smoking Marion Barry to mayor of DC proves that.
Big Bad John 47

Lexington, SC

#82 Jan 8, 2008
Pat wrote:
No, it proves most whites embrace individualism, it says nothng about blacks. Blacks have shown they will favor black candidates for no other reason then they are black. The reelection of the prostitute patronizing crack smoking Marion Barry to mayor of DC proves that.
When Joe Louis fought Max Schmeling in their second fight, there were some racists,(your ancestors?), that were cheering for the German, because he was White, to defeat the Black American. Keep in mind that this event took place when Germany was the #1 evil empire led by adolph hitler, one of the most notorius racists of all time. Now what is your point racist clown?

Since: Nov 07

Great Bend, PA

#83 Jan 8, 2008
patriot55 wrote:
<quoted text>
black/white, I don't care but, I am with you on the muslim issue..plus he is pro illegal.
He 'pretends' to be white in much the same way you 'pretend' to have an IQ. Which is to say he doesn't.

...and he isn't a Muslim.

Great Bend, PA

#84 Jan 8, 2008
Colonel Jessup wrote:
Obama is no different from Clinton, Edwards, or any of the others running for president. People are voting for Obama the man, and not Obama the politician.
And let's be honest, Obama is going to get votes simply because he is black. Many whites are going to vote for Obama to try and shed off some of that "white guilt", and send a message to the black community that "See, look! Whites aren't so bad after all!"
Voting for someone just because of his skin color is dangerously irresponsible.
You ignore the other possibility... that hope for a better country/world actually matters and that some of us believe he may be able to do some of the things we would like to see done.

I don't have to feel 'guilty' to vote for a smart charismatic candidate. We don't need more old, corporate slugs running the show.
CaptainH

Auburn Hills, MI

#85 Jan 8, 2008
This seems to be a double-edged sword. If we are to become color-blind, then the first thing we need to do is pay no attention to it.
You can't have it both ways.
How are we supposed to ignore his race if the media constantly points to it?
On the one hand we say, "race doesn't matter."
Okay, fine. Then why dwell on it?
If anyone has made Obama's color an issue it is the very people who lecture everyone about the unimportance of race.
And no, people should not vote for him simply because we need to "atone" for the sin of slavery.
I don't feel guilty about what people did centuries ago.
Why should I?
typical US citizen

Sun City, CA

#86 Jan 8, 2008
No. All you have to do is read the racist comments on the threads in Topix. Racism is very much and alive and well in the USA. The people that are voting for Obama see the man -- not the race. But there are still many Americans that see race as the most important factor.
typical US citizen

Sun City, CA

#87 Jan 8, 2008
correction:
No. All you have to do is read the racist comments on the threads in Topix. Racism is very much alive and well in the USA. The people that are voting for Obama see the man -- not the race. But there are still many Americans that see race as the most important factor.

Great Bend, PA

#88 Jan 8, 2008
arich wrote:
<quoted text>
ALL traitors should be assassinated. Period.
Ayep. Let's save that time and money we waste on an annoying trial / conviction / appeal process and just gun them down in the street.

Shall we let YOU decide who is to be executed, too?

Do you burn copies of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights every July fourth? Did you forget the Pledge of Allegiance...."With liberty and justice for all?"
CaptainH

Auburn Hills, MI

#89 Jan 8, 2008
Janeebananee wrote:
Obama's high-quality goods. He puts on a great show: cultured, civilized, educated... He stands tall, he talks the talk. But he really worries me. I feel an undercurrent of arrogance. He KNOWS he's all that. He thinks he's a cut above. Every time he uses the phrases about Giving America Back to the American People I pick up a shadow of contempt. His campaign is all in his head. I don't trust him. When lives are on the line, when decisions have to be made to serve the greater good...I don't see him having a clear line of sight. He THINKS he's competent, he THINKS he's supremely suited to the office of President... But I don't see his fine IDEA of himself in office the same way as he does. I feel he lacks breadth and depth... the inner substance necessary to maintain consistent strength of focus. I am not secure in thinking he would be America's best choice going toe-to-toe with the enemies of peace and democracy overwhelming the earth today.
And Michelle. Everything I've ever heard her say is so much subservient hero-drivel. She's a might haughty, too. But their daughters surely are fascinating and beautiful. So I'm just waiting and watching. I can't shake the feeling that the candidates will reveal their true timbre before election time.
And one last thing. I think why Edwards is lagging so far behind?(Even tho of all of them I really find him sincere and likable). People just don't know what to think of him, running for office while his wife is slowly perishing from terminal cancer. Yeah, she insisted he run, and yeah, yeah, yeah....but it's hard to figure they don't have much more time together, and if he wins, she'll die in the white house!(If not before.) Most people think they would put their plans on hold to spend the last days with a loved one. It's got to be more than ambition on his part, right?
Bravo! Well done. I agree with you about Obama. He worries me. All the Democrats do.
I personally have gone through a political sea-change in my own life, from being a staunch Democrat (and a McGovern volunteer) to an ardent Republican.
Obama in many ways is an example of why. So are both Clinton and Edwards. Unlike FDR and JFK, modern Democrats are arrogant. They look at themselves as being superior to the rest of us. Their ideas are undemocratic. They know what is best for us, whether we like it or not. They are disrespectful of the people, tend to hold the average American in contempt, are aloof, snobbish, and full of themselves. They have all the answers. The people don't count. You see it all the time in how they will cram unpopular court decisions down our throats with the endless "rule of law" mentality. They don't really care what the people think. After all, in their minds we are nothing but racist idiots.
Many years ago, I watched the Phil Donahue Show. He had a panel of liberals on his show and one of them remarked, "Anyone who believes in peace and justice agrees with us." That is their mantra.
Only they, and they alone, can bring peace, justice, equality, and all the rest to the world. Not to mention clean air and water.

“Common sense is not so common.”

Ft Logic USA

#90 Jan 8, 2008
Colonel Jessup wrote:
<quoted text>
You have racism just about everywhere in the world. In fact, America is just about one of the LEAST racist countries I have been in.
People want to believe that America is racist to feel as though there is a reason for their shortcomings in life. THAT will never change. The poor me attitude will outlive any need for racism.

Since: Dec 06

Coos Bay, OR

#91 Jan 8, 2008
Isn't Obama just as white as he is black? I mean genetically.

Anyone else catch the Comedy Channel skit the other night satirizing Tiger Woods because he and his publicity entourage never acknowledge his Asian mother, or the fact that like Obama, he's of mixed race origin? The title of the skit was "Full Black". A black comic wearing a baseball hat and golf shirt stands in front of a mike singing a ditty about how he's gone “full black” and finally shaken fried rice for "friiiiiiied chicken". It was funny as hell and oh so true. I think Obama has gone through the same metamorphosis hasn't he?

BTW I think we should remember that it was Pat Buchanan, and not Barak Obamack, who broke a long prejudice against blacks running on US presidential tickets. Buchanan’s VP running mate was an African-American female –a first in US history.
JRZEE

United States

#92 Jan 8, 2008
Pat wrote:
Let us not for the Mayor of CHOCOLATE CITY
JRZEE

United States

#93 Jan 8, 2008
J Barrett Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
He 'pretends' to be white in much the same way you 'pretend' to have an IQ. Which is to say he doesn't.
...and he isn't a Muslim.
but HE is pro illegal

Since: Sep 07

Dublin

#94 Jan 8, 2008
AJ Melton wrote:
I would hope that many of you post look deeper into the issue of what's happening. The people are starting to think for themselves and not allow interest groups, the media, or the ideological bullies decide who they vote for. The vote is not pro Obama but it is anti-staus quo. The rich have gotten richer and the middle class is in the final stages of life because the politicians (both parties) have catered strictly to the corporate dollars and the wealthiest citizens in American society which is ultimately squeezing the life out of everyday hard-working Americans. The best advice I can give is stop using Topix as a bitch session to complain about what you don't like, and use it to network and exchange ideas on how to give America back to the people. By the way, the truth be told, Dennis Kucinich speaks to the heart of mainstream America and his approaches are based in reality, not rhetoric. The posts are average, I would like to see them generate more thought provoking discussion in regards to the 2008 race and politics in America.
I agree completely with you Dennis Kucinich does speak for the people of your country and the vast majority of americans are decent people. The problem is america has still got racism. Topix is a place where rasists and the like can congregate online and prevent real debate about important issues. Instead the discussion becomes about slaggging people off.

Since: Sep 07

Dublin

#95 Jan 8, 2008
Colonel Jessup wrote:
<quoted text>
Rasism is endemic in all societies all over the world but at present in america an attitude of we are devoid of racism is at play. Americans say all men are born equally but this is clearly only a belief not a fact. Just look at what happened in New Orleans. As well as that a nation founded by immigrants throughout it's existence disliked migrants coming to their shores. first non british then non catholics, after emancipation non blacks and now non hispanics. America is rasist but that is not the problem. The fact that they control the seats of power. That is what makes your counrty rasists.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ku Klux Klan hands out candy in South Carolina 11 min Swedenforever 127
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 11 min Pietro Armando 54,859
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 11 min Sunnier 256,085
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 12 min LRS 177,370
Who do you side with in Ferguson? 14 min woodtick57 1,689
Gadhafi, in letter, asks Obama to end air strikes (Apr '11) 17 min Swedenforever 57
Ukraine Says Russia Has Invaded 17 min Asian Guy 3
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 18 min Le Jimbo 151,181
Teen's Shooting Highlights Racial Tension 25 min Le Jimbo 1,366
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 29 min Stu Rumsfeld 1,100,137
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

US News People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••