Atheist Islamophobia... Again

Atheist Islamophobia... Again

There are 3766 comments on the Religion Dispatched story from Apr 9, 2013, titled Atheist Islamophobia... Again. In it, Religion Dispatched reports that:

Sparked by a Richard Dawkins tweet , in which he drew a parallel between Islamists and Nazis, Nathan Lean recently suggested on Salon.com that the most famous representatives of the new atheism "flirt with" Islamophobia [echoing Chris Stedman's prescient warning to fellow atheists on RD this past August]. As the article explains, Dawkins, Hitchens ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Religion Dispatched.

LCNlin

United States

#3450 Aug 20, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>and that had absolutely nothing to do with my post...
but then....... the royals did once claim they ruled by divine rite...even the clearly, flaming, homosexual King George, who had the bible re-translated for him but whom his own god would have smote down for being gay...
funny how almost every one of you posts leads to more proof that the religious cults of this world are based on proven lies...
Your posts have yet to prove atheism!
Thought since you can't prove atheism you might enjoy a bit of Royal news.
Sorry if this upset you?
Have a nice day
LCNlin

United States

#3451 Aug 20, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Lincock is getting very desperate in repeatedly saying Dawkins can't 100% disprove some form of god... you know, the way people that tell the truth do.
But we still know 100% there is no all powerful compassionate god because we have evidence of avoidable suffering.
<quoted text>
Keep Paying your taxes to the Church of England!
Have a great day in the UK
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#3452 Aug 20, 2013
I agree with you about this, as I often do - and also I appreciate your phrasing.
Amused wrote:
Remember, just because you are paranoid doesn't mean there aren't people actually out to get you. Islamists do want to bring about an islamic world, and atheists are fairly high up on their list of People We Don't Like. I don't think we should all lose sleep over some imagined imminent threat, but it would also be naive not to recognize that fundamentalist islamists are no friends of human liberty and freedom.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#3453 Aug 20, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep Paying your taxes to the Church of England!
Have a great day in the UK
Americans should not have to pay more taxes as individuals to make up for taxes that the churches do not pay - as long as the churches are participating in politics or public policy debates (even the ones I agree with). Both the Mormons and Catholics who campaign against gay marriage, and the black churches who do a Sunday early voting campaign are participating in politics, and should not be tax exempt. And even the more general preaching of ethics often has a definate political bent - such as success theology favoring Republicans who think the rich deserve to be rich however they got their money, and social justice and liberation theology favoring liberal Democrats.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#3454 Aug 20, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry if this upset you?
Have a nice day
Did that person claim he could prove there is no God? If so, please give me page and comment number.
Atheists do not have any burden of proof unless they claim to know or claim to have proof. Atheists simply do not believe in a God.
Theism is the ism. Atheists do not endorse that ism.

In fact, a theist does not have to prove there is a God unless he claims to know it or to have proof. A theist is just a believer in a God. It is his view, his opinion.
There are two issues - one is whether or not one believes in a God. One is whether or not one claims to have proof or to know.
That is why one can be both an agnostic and an atheist - one who does not believe in a God, but makes no knowledge claim. Such a person has no burden of proof.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#3455 Aug 20, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Lincock is getting very desperate in repeatedly saying Dawkins can't 100% disprove some form of god... you know, the way people that tell the truth do.
But we still know 100% there is no all powerful compassionate god because we have evidence of avoidable suffering.
<quoted text>
There are two points here. Your first paragraph combines some unclear irony with a background discussion of folks I don't know enough about.

But your second line is important. It does seem to me to have a different type of meaning of the word know, however. I am an agnostic atheist with regard to all other god definitions except that one. I make no knowledge claim even about the Biblical God, though I think it is silly and nasty. It could exist, though it would be such a laughable and inferior God that the use of the word would be better without the capital G.(I think the only acceptable definitio of a big GOD is that it is a word used for all that exists, or has existed, or will exist in whatever dimensions, even more than 4).

I think we know with our moral sense that there cannot be an allgood allpowerful God. I think it is a different sort of knowing and a different sort of proof. We know with our bodies that there is pain, and we think we see suffering in other living beings and we feel compassion for them - thus we know because we are good to that extent. I think this is a higher form of knowing and a better proof that sophist types of intellectualizing, because our thinking and our moral sense are combined, in a way that makes it our whole self that knows, and a way that implies an ethic for our own actions, since compassion is our standard and not mere intellectual content with no feeling. It is difficult to express this in words, but I am sure you "get it" since you have the same bias in favor of compassion and kindness that I do. I do not think a person without such a bias would get it!
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#3456 Aug 20, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
Albert Einstein called himself an agnostic, while disassociating himself from the label atheist, preferring, he said an "attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being.
Score one for Agnostics!
Scratch an atheist and out pops an agnostic.
Dawkins & Albert Einstein for example
waiting for proof of atheism, take your time?
Sk*pt*c posts seem to prove religion
<laughing>
I appreciate your humor in using the **. Many of S's own words also require asteriks, for other reasons! I do not approve of Skeptic for various reasons, including the vocabulary, the arrogance, and the knowledge claim. I am an agnostic atheist - not believing and not claiming to know, except as explained just above (knowing that there cannot be an allgood allpowerful God).

There is no problem in being an agnostic atheist. They are not two options. Atheism is not believing. Agnosticism is not claiming to know. One can have both views. I think the problem comes with the implications of the suffix "ism" - as if there is some complexity involved. Theism is a relatively simple ism, and atheism is nonbelief in theism.

Please be very careful in your disputes with atheists, since there are many varieties of atheists on this forum. Some of us are very nice, and some brilliant, and some modest, and some - very few - are like Skeptic. You have my blessing when you take on Sk*pt*c!

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#3457 Aug 20, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry if this upset you?
Have a nice day
sure i have. millions of humans across the globe acknowledge that all the religious cult gods are proven false and not one teensy shred of evidence for any other god, gods or goddesses exists...

you know this as a fact, why do you continue to lie about it?

“gun control takes two hands”

Since: Mar 13

outdoors

#3459 Aug 20, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you still cannot explain the weaknesses in your god-myth.
Why?
You've got it backwards, bob, that's YOUR position. I've told you that the basis of Christianity is faith. That is all we have. Faith. We know what is in store for us, you deny it's existence. There is much more to following the teachings of Christ than you pretend to scorn and I won't insult your intelligece telling what you think you already know. Again, you athiests have my pity.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3460 Aug 20, 2013
huntcoyotes wrote:
<quoted text>You've got it backwards, bob, that's YOUR position.
Nope. I got it correct. You have YET to even argue otherwise.

You simply wine and moan and complain... no arguments, though.
huntcoyotes wrote:
I've told you that the basis of Christianity is faith.
That doesn't explain your god's weaknesses, though.

It's just an excuse for **not** explaining the weaknesses.
huntcoyotes wrote:
That is all we have. Faith.
Which is why you are wrong.

Faith is basically a LIE you tell yourself.
huntcoyotes wrote:
We know what is in store for us, you deny it's existence.
No--- you admitted all you have is FAITH.

That is NOT KNOWING.

That is just WISHING for something you really want to be true.

Without anything to back it up with...
huntcoyotes wrote:
There is much more to following the teachings of Christ
And yet?

All you offer me?

Is more of your hate....

.... Ironic, much?

LOL!

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#3461 Aug 21, 2013
huntcoyotes wrote:
<quoted text>I've told you that the basis of Christianity is faith. That is all we have. Faith. We know what is in store for us......
You cannot claim that your religion is based on faith, belief without evidence, then follow it up with a statement of knowledge. It's blatantly contradictory and laughably stupid.

The basis of the christian religion is control... nothing more. If it had an real validity it wouldn't require 'faith' in the first place

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#3462 Aug 21, 2013
huntcoyotes wrote:
<quoted text>You've got it backwards, bob, that's YOUR position. I've told you that the basis of Christianity is faith. That is all we have. Faith.
OK, you have faith. Not knowledge. Faith. You believe without evidence. Got it.
We know what is in store for us, you deny it's existence.
No, you have *faith* in what is in store for you, not knowledge. Remember? You only have faith. Knowledge is a different thing than faith. In fact, they are diametrically opposed.
There is much more to following the teachings of Christ than you pretend to scorn and I won't insult your intelligece telling what you think you already know. Again, you athiests have my pity.
We don't need or want your pity. We want you to leave other people alone who don't believe in your fantasies: who do not have your 'faith'.

By the way,'faith' in the sense you use it, is evil. It is a denial of the responsibility to think for yourself. It is different than confidence based on experience. It is belief without evidence and is simply letting someone else do your thinking for you.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3463 Aug 21, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way,'faith' in the sense you use it, is evil. It is a denial of the responsibility to think for yourself. It is different than confidence based on experience. It is belief without evidence and is simply letting someone else do your thinking for you.
Indeed.

The sort of faith that HuntingFor describes?

Is the **exact** same faith that lets:

*** people let their kids die because they don't believe in modern medicine

*** people would toss their own children into volcanoes

*** people would send their own children to deliberate suicide missions

*** people would fly airplanes full of people directly into buildings

*** people deny acutal reality itself, to appease this faith

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#3464 Aug 21, 2013
huntcoyotes wrote:
<quoted text>You've got it backwards, bob, that's YOUR position. I've told you that the basis of Christianity is faith. That is all we have. Faith. We know what is in store for us, you deny it's existence. There is much more to following the teachings of Christ than you pretend to scorn and I won't insult your intelligece telling what you think you already know. Again, you athiests have my pity.
no, you don't even have that. what you think you have faith in has been clearly nad indisputably proven to be a lie.

you have cult indoctrination, that is all...
LCNlin

United States

#3465 Aug 21, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no, you don't even have that. what you think you have faith in has been clearly nad indisputably proven to be a lie.
you have cult indoctrination, that is all...
"indisputably proven" that atheists trapped, love to use the term cult,defending their atheist religion,
oh no,
not a religion
LOL

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#3466 Aug 22, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
<quoted text>
"indisputably proven" that atheists trapped, love to use the term cult,defending their atheist religion,
oh no,
not a religion
LOL
F*ck off you proofless creationist piece of sh*t.
Thinking

Royston, UK

#3467 Aug 22, 2013
Good point well argued.

;)
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
F*ck off you proofless creationist piece of sh*t.

“gun control takes two hands”

Since: Mar 13

outdoors

#3468 Aug 22, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. I got it correct. You have YET to even argue otherwise.
You simply wine and moan and complain... no arguments, though.
<quoted text>
That doesn't explain your god's weaknesses, though.
It's just an excuse for **not** explaining the weaknesses.
<quoted text>
Which is why you are wrong.
Faith is basically a LIE you tell yourself.
<quoted text>
No--- you admitted all you have is FAITH.
That is NOT KNOWING.
That is just WISHING for something you really want to be true.
Without anything to back it up with...
<quoted text>
And yet?
All you offer me?
Is more of your hate....
.... Ironic, much?
LOL!
Uh huh- ever seen an atom, bob? A molecule? Ever seen heat? Or cold? A narwhal? A giant squid? Clint Eastwood? South America?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3469 Aug 22, 2013
huntcoyotes wrote:
<quoted text>Uh huh- ever seen an atom, bob?
Actually? Yes-- I **have** seen photographs of an atom.

But even more to the point? I **have** witnessed individual atoms in various test chambers being released.

Buy the same token? I've also witnessed electrons too-- so have you-- anytime you looked at that old-style CRT screen? You witnessed **electrons**.
huntcoyotes wrote:
A molecule?
Yep. See above. Molecules are even easier to witness than atoms, as it turns out.

DNA? Is so long, it's visible under simple optical microscopes-- for example

So, yeah, I've seen molecules.
huntcoyotes wrote:
Ever seen heat?
Oh, YES-- DEFINITELY, I have witnessed heat.

Just about a half hour ago? I witnessed all kinds of heat, as I made me a pot of tea.

The hot gasses creating a lovely blue plasma as they combined with oxygen in the air, and the hydrocarbons in the fuel.

Then the heat-waves created in the air, as that accumulated energy rose up from the hot stove-- I witnessed more heat.

Next, I put my tea kettle on, and when the **hot** water reached a specific energy gradient? It turned to gas, and escaped through the hole in the lid-- creating a rakus-- more heat.

And as the water vapor immediately condensed in the relatively **cold** air? It turned white, due to the scattering of liquid water particles in the air, which in turn scattered the light.

More observations of heat.

Next, I slowly poured that near-boiling water (if it were boiling, it would have turned to steam) into a half gallon glass jar, which had bits of plants in the bottom-- the **heat** from the water caused certain chemicals to migrate from the dried plant bits, and contaminated the water into a lovely, rich brown.

But due to the **heat** it is still too hot for what I want.

Once the **heat** has dissipated into my Kitchen's atmosphere? I'll pour me a glass over ...
huntcoyotes wrote:
Or cold?
... some frozen **water**-- which is ME, witnessing COLD.

That water is so devoid of **heat**, that it has become like a rock.

Nice.

Soon, I'll enjoy both HEAT and COLD at the same time, as my mixture of RELATIVELY HOT WATER and RELATIVELY COLD WATER soothes my parched throat with a glass of Iced Tea.
huntcoyotes wrote:
A narwhal?
I witnessed a skeleton of one. And many photographs.
huntcoyotes wrote:
A giant squid?
Photographs. And recently? Videos too.
one cube parsec wrote:
Clint Eastwood?
Photographs. Videos. Live TV events.
huntcoyotes wrote:
South America?
Yep. Been there, Done That.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3470 Aug 22, 2013
huntcoyotes wrote:
<quoted text>Uh huh- ever seen an atom, bob? A molecule? Ever seen heat? Or cold? A narwhal? A giant squid? Clint Eastwood? South America?
More to the POINT?

HAVE YOU EVER SEEN YOUR GOD? No?

Interesting.

Have you EVER seen your Jewsus(Jesus)? No?

Interesting.

Have you **ever** smelt either of these? No? Tasted either your god or your Jewsus? No?

How about **heard** your god's voice? Jesus' voice? Still no?

Have you felt your god's TOUCH? How about the physical touch of your Jewsus(Jesus)?

Still no?

Interesting.....

.... NONE of your 5 senses have been activated by the "presence" of either of your main people, here.

None.

That is **really** interesting, now...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 1 min woodtick57 384,257
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 min Don Barros Serrano 197,445
News Donald Trump nixes Bernie Sanders debate, blame... 2 min serfs up 19
News Feds' transgender guidance provokes fierce back... 5 min serfs up 1,009
News If Donald Trump Was President, Here's What Woul... (Oct '15) 5 min Notrump 8,586
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min John Galt 1,383,613
News News 23 Mins Ago Court ruling raises possibilit... 6 min Trickle Down Stup... 1
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 7 min The Awful Truth 982
News Donald Trump breaks with nation's only Latina g... 18 min Abacus 73
News House takes action against Confederate flag, a ... 2 hr inbred Genius 302
More from around the web