Atheist Islamophobia... Again

Apr 9, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Religion Dispatched

Sparked by a Richard Dawkins tweet , in which he drew a parallel between Islamists and Nazis, Nathan Lean recently suggested on Salon.com that the most famous representatives of the new atheism "flirt with" Islamophobia [echoing Chris Stedman's prescient warning to fellow atheists on RD this past August]. As the article explains, Dawkins, Hitchens ... (more)

Comments
2,181 - 2,200 of 3,766 Comments Last updated Nov 22, 2013

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

Lincoln wrote:
First Amendment
The U.S. Supreme Court recently considered prayer before government meetings, and its decision may affect how Chandler and other cities handle the issue.
Chandler has a longstanding tradition of an invocation before every City Council meeting and study session.
The City Clerk’s Office has a list of local clergy who offer the invocation on an unofficial rotation, City Clerk Marla Paddock said.
“We don’t necessarily do a huge outreach,” but anyone who is interested is welcome to contact the city, Paddock said.
The Supreme Court ruled in 1983 that prayer before government meetings is permissible, but left the specifics open to some interpretation, said Charles Haynes, director of the Religious Freedom Education Project at the Newseum.
It is unclear if legislative prayer was upheld because in the particular case it did not promote a particular religion or because in that case the prayer was non-sectarian, Haynes said.
“This case raises the question of whether it’s also OK if you don’t remain with an all-purpose, non-denominational prayer,” said Paul Bender, professor of law at Arizona State University’s Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law.
“It’s going to be a very important case for what cities can do.”
The Supreme Court agreed in May to take a case involving Greece, N.Y. after a lower court ruled that because the prayers before its meetings were mostly Christian that the town was, in effect, promoting one religion over another.
“I suspect it will clarify the rules of the game,” Haynes said of the Supreme Court’s consideration of the case.“I think it will probably be easier for government bodies to have these prayers without fear of litigation.”
A Republic review of Chandler City Council meeting minutes shows that about 83 percent of the invocations given since 2011 have represented a variety of Christian denominations. That includes the times Council member Kevin Hartke, senior pastor at Trinity Christian Fellowship, filled in and gave the invocation.
Christian churches represent about 73 percent of the places of worship in the city, according to an unofficial list posted on the city’s website.
The remainder of the invocations were presented by representatives of the Baha’i faith (11 percent) and by a a Rabbi (4 percent),and one invocation each given by Paddock and Councilwoman Trinity Donovan, CEO of the Chandler Christian Community Center.
Council members who spoke with the Republic said they support prayer before meetings and touted the diversity of the invocations offered.
“We’ve had a pretty good cross section that’s representative of the city,” Councilman Rick Heumann said.
Chandler’s system is not discriminatory nor preferential, Hartke said.
Councilwoman Nora Ellen said that praying before the council begins to make its decisions is important.
“In my opinion, if anywhere needs prayer, it’s government,” she said.
And while Ellen stopped short of saying the invocations should be only Christian, she said that is what she is most comfortable with.
“When we first started praying in this country it was to the Christian God and I feel like our nation became great because of that,” she said.“I would like prayer to continue that way.”
The diversity of the community is a strength, and Chandler strives to show that it is inclusive, said Councilman Jack Sellers, adding that he has not received any complaints from residents about the invocation.
http://www.azcentral.com/community/chandler/a...
Why be honest and prove your god, when you can spam?

Creationists know that they are liars. You know that you have no morals.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
What percentage of the total population does 2.1 bn represent?
Contrast that, to the percentage of the total in decades past.
Your percentages are **shrinking**.
And the **rate** at which you are loosing percentages is increasing.
Which is a good thing.
And which is simply more proof, that your god isn't real.
A **real** god? Would have the world in control, by **now**..!!
Is this the case with yours?
Not even close...
They don't understand how statistics work or what trends are. ;)
Uncle Sam

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
What on **earth** is a "christophobe"?
Do you actually think I am **afraid** of you hate-cultists?
I'm not-- the US constitution guarantees that I do not need to be.
More to the point? Your "christ" is just a myth anyway.
There is **no** historical records of him, that date to his alleged lifetime.
None.
Not even your ugly bible; the oldest is a generation too late to be useful in the historical sense. And those are not even any of the so-called "gospels"....! They are from the heretic Paul (who may also be completely fictional-- unknown, really).
Only in your self deluded mind. You are a Christophobe. Better put on your tin foil cap to keep off those evil Christians.
Uncle Sam

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
It is quite clear, however, you **hate** anyone who does not cowtow to your ugly cult.
What else is new?
You are a hater of all those who don't subscribe to your mindless triune god: random, chance and time. You need to conjure up your god of the gaps, multiverse, in order to deny the evidence, anthropic principle, for God.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

huntcoyotes wrote:
<quoted text>Apparently you never tire of being wrong, bob. All ya gotta do is quote the laws or statutes that were broken in days of old. Meanwhile- you know that NA means Native American, Don't you? Hmmmm? Please, continue to rant....
The mark of a failed theist is that he tells you you are wrong without ever explaining why.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Uncle Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Only in your self deluded mind. You are a Christophobe. Better put on your tin foil cap to keep off those evil Christians.
When you're able to the prove the god you're lying to us about, you gain higher morals.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Uncle Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a hater of all those who don't subscribe to your mindless triune god: random, chance and time. You need to conjure up your god of the gaps, multiverse, in order to deny the evidence, anthropic principle, for God.
You can't stop lying about god. Its part of the mental illness of faith you suffer from.

Atheists don't want to join your cult of liars, its better if you go back to your own forum and try to convert people who are more stupid and dishonest.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

The real cowards are the theists that have to lie about atheists in order to cover up for their religious lies.

“Handsome white and black men”

Since: Jan 10

Interracial love

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither one is mentioned in the bible, so it is immaterial to them.
According to them, all the mysteries of the universe can be explained through the buybull.

“gun control takes two hands”

Since: Mar 13

outdoors

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

<quoted text>
I see you have no counter-arguments of any kind.
Just more of you, whining and complaining, without saying a worthwhile thing.
Or contributing to the conversation.
But I suppose that goes hand-in-glove with you True Believers™ who haven't contributed to Civilization since your kind was hatched in the evil minds of people wishing to control everyone...
... in all the history of the planet?
Can you name **one** useful or **new** thing/discovery contributed to civilization by you religious types?
One thing?
No?
We thought not...
Still waiting for you to PROVE what you said happened. Like all your rants, you can't do it. Curious about one thing, do you drool when you type this drivel? What kind of bib do you wear while you rant? Do you scream at the screen? Do you take medicine for your condition?

“gun control takes two hands”

Since: Mar 13

outdoors

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
The mark of a failed theist is that he tells you you are wrong without ever explaining why.
Alrighty genius- same challenge. Prove to me those alleged laws existed.
Uncle Sam

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't stop lying about god. Its part of the mental illness of faith you suffer from.
Atheists don't want to join your cult of liars, its better if you go back to your own forum and try to convert people who are more stupid and dishonest.
Ding-Dong, I am on the US News Forum. Why don't you go to the Christophobic forum with your brain dead buddies.
Uncle Sam

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
When you're able to the prove the god you're lying to us about, you gain higher morals.
There is much evidence for an Intelligent Designer. You Christophobes need to invent a muti-verse to get around the evidence. Show me another universe.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

Uncle Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
There is much evidence for an Intelligent Designer. You Christophobes need to invent a muti-verse to get around the evidence. Show me another universe.
What evidence?
Uncle Sam

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
What evidence?
The evidence is the fine toning of the constants of the universe. The design in the universe must be investigated as any other natural phenomena and not simply dismissed.
Lincoln LCN

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Hope that you are feeling better from the operation.
Peace

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Uncle Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
The evidence is the fine toning of the constants of the universe. The design in the universe must be investigated as any other natural phenomena and not simply dismissed.
what fine tuning would that be? how is it evidence of an intelligent designer? please be specific...

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

Uncle Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
'
That is one of the stupidest things I have read on here.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Lincoln LCN wrote:
<quoted text>
Hope that you are feeling better from the operation.
Peace
Um, that was over a year ago. But meh, your words are kind so thank you.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Uncle Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
What "fine tuning?"

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••