Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash...

Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

There are 17552 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Jan 7, 2013, titled Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

Neil An Blowme

Hoboken, NJ

#10871 Oct 3, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
No but they can confirm the definition of a legally recognized social institution by vote, which they did in over thirty states.
...and have it overturned by a court down the road.

You really should not have slept through civics class.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#10872 Oct 3, 2013
GrouchoMarxist wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, you made my point for me. You tried to tell me what Edmund knows, and now you admit you're virtually clueless about it.
The point was
I asked Edmund how he could possibly know what someone else knows or doesn't, and you said "those of us in social science know",
...so I asked you if Edmund is in social science because you,
apparently,
.... are his mouth piece, answering for him like that.
Unsure of his background, I chose to inform you that thousands of scientists understand child abusers understand their compulsive behavior is wrong and harmful. They understand harming children has nothing to do with sexual orientation. This is common knowledge as well as science. Attempts to link the two are simply stigmatizing, dehumanizing tactics designed to justify harming gay people through denial of equal treatment under the laws currently in effect for everyone else.

If you are going to promote prejudice, you shouldn't be supreised to have that prejudice challenged by anyone who reads your posts.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#10873 Oct 3, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Will same sex marriage be legal nationwide?
Will gay men flock to the altar at the same rate as their lesbian sisters?
Will the lesbian divorce rate decrease?
Will polygamists achieve marriage equality?
Tune in tomorrow for these and other questions on, As the Stomach Turns.
Yes, eventually.

Who knows? Time will tell.

Yes.

No.

Rather not.

AOL

#10874 Oct 3, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
The dead old horse keeps getting up huh?
"Nothing dies so hard or rallies so often as intolerance."
Henry Ward Beecher
Janitor

Vancouver, WA

#10875 Oct 3, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
So admit your church is a traitor to the USA????
HOW ABOUT HELLPING USA CITIZENS......If churches would help here in the USA we would not need welfare or food stamps.
My point is there is many sins in your buybull......WHY NOT PASS BANS BASED ON THEM,
If you had read the post you'd have seen that our church does a lot of work on the home front, probably more than most. Adventists have always been of the opinion that direct aid is the best aid. I work in street missions, give plenty to the food bank our church maintains and work in the local hostelry through out winter each year. And, no matter how much is given out there will always be people on welfare and those who cannot get by on the salary they receive without food stamps. Blame the politicians for that situation, they certainly aren't going without.

And, as far as banning anything, I might have mentioned that I'm in favor of same sex marriage and equal rights for gays and lesbians. You should really learn to read and stop categorizing everyone so that they stay within your predisposed group evaluations. It seems like you're the one who is both buying and delivering the bull to me.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#10876 Oct 3, 2013
Janitor wrote:
<quoted text>
If you had read the post you'd have seen that our church does a lot of work on the home front, probably more than most. Adventists have always been of the opinion that direct aid is the best aid. I work in street missions, give plenty to the food bank our church maintains and work in the local hostelry through out winter each year. And, no matter how much is given out there will always be people on welfare and those who cannot get by on the salary they receive without food stamps. Blame the politicians for that situation, they certainly aren't going without.
And, as far as banning anything, I might have mentioned that I'm in favor of same sex marriage and equal rights for gays and lesbians. You should really learn to read and stop categorizing everyone so that they stay within your predisposed group evaluations. It seems like you're the one who is both buying and delivering the bull to me.
Huh was attacking churches that carry out jihads against homosexuals. Huh wondered why they are so obsessed about that one sin and ignore all the others.

The fact that your church may not be in that category is no defense of those that are.

AOL

#10877 Oct 3, 2013
U.S. Government Accounting Office: 1,138 laws determining what marriage means to couples.

"as of December 31, 2003, our research identified a total of 1,138 federal statutory provisions classified to the United States Code in which marital status is a factor in determining or receiving benefits, rights, and privileges." http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-04-353R

AOL

#10878 Oct 3, 2013
James Madison wrote:“It is of great importance in a republic not only to guard the society against the oppression of its rulers, but to guard one part of the society against the injustice of the other part … If a majority be united by a common interest, the rights of the minority will be insecure.”

The U.S. Supreme Court said: "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts. One's right to life, liberty, and property, to free speech, a free press, freedom of worship and assembly, and other fundamental rights may not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections."

Most people who want to vote on equal rights have nothing to lose, and know majorities will restrict the rights of others if given the chance. Equality was never intended to be up for a vote, and we know from history and science that prejudice and discrimination result in suffering and death.

AOL

#10879 Oct 3, 2013
"The Equal Protection Clause “‘neither knows nor tolerates classes among citizens.’” Id., at 623 (quoting Plessy v. Ferguson, 163 U.S. 537, 559 (1896)

"But the State cannot single out one identifiable class of citizens for punishment that does not apply to everyone else, with moral disapproval as the only asserted state interest for the law.

A legislative classification that threatens the creation of an underclass … cannot be reconciled with” the Equal Protection Clause." Plyler v. Doe, 457 U.S., at 239

“The framers of the Constitution knew, and we should not forget today, that there is no more effective practical guaranty against arbitrary and unreasonable government than to require that the principles of law which officials would impose upon a minority be imposed generally. Conversely, nothing opens the door to arbitrary action so effectively as to allow those officials to pick and choose only a few to whom they will apply legislation and thus to escape the political retribution that might be visited upon them if larger numbers were affected.” Railway Express Agency, Inc. v. New York, 336 U.S. 106,

AOL

#10880 Oct 3, 2013
Janitor wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you could explain to Huh why some churches devote a lot of time, energy, and money, toward trying to keep gay people from having the same rights they expect for themselves, while not promoting punishment and stigmatization for many other things they also consider sinful, like the 7 deadly sins.

The churches that believe in treating others as you would yourself need to take more responsibility for pointing out those who promote prejudice rely one a few mistranslated, misinterpreted, and out of context verses which require ignoring and contradicting the many verses and stories that tell you to follow the Golden Rule.

Matthew 7:12: So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.
Janitor

Vancouver, WA

#10881 Oct 3, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh was attacking churches that carry out jihads against homosexuals. Huh wondered why they are so obsessed about that one sin and ignore all the others.
The fact that your church may not be in that category is no defense of those that are.
I never said it did. He was lumping all Christians together, which is something I'm decidedly against. And, by that I mean categorizing. in general. Profiling, regardless of who it is being done by, is ignorance personified. No two people are alike and anytime all of any group are painted as the same it's the end of any truly unbiased analysis. I was originally answering an earlier post about how Christians were all fat and rode around in thirty k cars and were examples of sloth and gluttony.
Huh

Faribault, MN

#10882 Oct 3, 2013
Janitor wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said it did. He was lumping all Christians together, which is something I'm decidedly against. And, by that I mean categorizing. in general. Profiling, regardless of who it is being done by, is ignorance personified. No two people are alike and anytime all of any group are painted as the same it's the end of any truly unbiased analysis. I was originally answering an earlier post about how Christians were all fat and rode around in thirty k cars and were examples of sloth and gluttony.
Problem is Christians no where are fighting for laws to ban fat or rich people from marrying. This is about sins. Why do MOST Christians only care about gay sex as sin and rest of sins they do is fine.
Janitor

Vancouver, WA

#10883 Oct 3, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you could explain to Huh why some churches devote a lot of time, energy, and money, toward trying to keep gay people from having the same rights they expect for themselves, while not promoting punishment and stigmatization for many other things they also consider sinful, like the 7 deadly sins.
The churches that believe in treating others as you would yourself need to take more responsibility for pointing out those who promote prejudice rely one a few mistranslated, misinterpreted, and out of context verses which require ignoring and contradicting the many verses and stories that tell you to follow the Golden Rule.
Matthew 7:12: So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.
People who use the Bible to justify their prejudice are a lot like people without any religious affiliation or any faith. They simply don't like gays. I can't speak for any other people, only for myself. Why don't you tell me why so many people attack all Christianity for the attitudes or actions of some? Isn't that categorizing. I thought you were using the scripture to show us that we should treat all people equally and as we would like to treated ourselves. I'm not judging you and I do argue regularly with other Christians over this matter, as I do many others. In fact, there are denominations which accept gays into their congregations. Jesus said, judge not, lest you be judged. I have always gone this direction myself. Again, I'm not responsible for what others do.

lides

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#10885 Oct 3, 2013
Janitor wrote:
zPeople who use the Bible to justify their prejudice are a lot like people without any religious affiliation or any faith. They simply don't like gays.
But they feel they are justifying their bigotry through the eyes of God.

Surely, you can see why the addition to purported moral superiority makes the action more justified in their eyes, and more reprehensible in real life.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#10886 Oct 3, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
But they feel they are justifying their bigotry through the eyes of God.
Surely, you can see why the addition to purported moral superiority makes the action more justified in their eyes, and more reprehensible in real life.
Janitor is right, however. All Christians shouldn't be labelled as anti-gay. More and more sects are supporting their gay and lesbian parishioners in tangible ways.

All lesbians (or feminists) shouldn't be labeled as man-haters.

All black men shouldn't be labeled as thugs, drug dealers, or basketball players.

And all gays shouldn't be labeled drag queens.

AOL

#10887 Oct 3, 2013
Janitor wrote:
<quoted text>
People who use the Bible to justify their prejudice are a lot like people without any religious affiliation or any faith. They simply don't like gays. I can't speak for any other people, only for myself. Why don't you tell me why so many people attack all Christianity for the attitudes or actions of some? Isn't that categorizing. I thought you were using the scripture to show us that we should treat all people equally and as we would like to treated ourselves. I'm not judging you and I do argue regularly with other Christians over this matter, as I do many others. In fact, there are denominations which accept gays into their congregations. Jesus said, judge not, lest you be judged. I have always gone this direction myself. Again, I'm not responsible for what others do.
While you and I understand not all religious scholars, leaders, and believers are anti-gay, many other religious organizations including the Catholics, Mormons, Baptists, etc. continue to promote anti-gay prejudice and laws. As long as the major groups continue to claim the prejudice they promote is the will of God, many will continue to accept their position as fact.
Huh

Faribault, MN

#10889 Oct 3, 2013
SameTime wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you've been taking your stupid pills again
Facts cant be stupid.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#10890 Oct 3, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Will same sex marriage be legal nationwide? YES:-)
Atta girl, positive thinking!
Will gay men flock to the altar at the same rate as their lesbian sisters? Does it matter? No, not really!!!
Thanks for the honesty none the less. Sounds like gay men, are just as reluctant to go to the altar, as their "straight" brothers.
Will the lesbian divorce rate decrease? Has it increased? or is this just another BS question by Pete? My answer is just BS by Pete.......no one EVER made a claim that Gay or Lesbian couples would not divorce!!!
Ahhhhhh....but why does the lesbian divorce rate seem to be higher than that of gay men? One would think it'd be even.
Will polygamists achieve marriage equality? My question is are they ACTIVELY fighting for it? or is it just people like Pete who have nothing better to do than bring up issues that don't belong in this fight?
One step at a time. Unlike same sex relationships, even purporting to be married to more than one, albeit without legal recognition, is a crime in some states.
Stay tune for more red herrings from the Fabulous Pete the BS'er!!!
They swim in de Nile, the vacation spot of Nor Cal the Magnificent, who wants to make the poly elephant in the room disappear!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#10892 Oct 3, 2013
Neil An Blowme wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah.... ask the voters in California......
Voters don't determine civil rights.
You are really hung up on the word 'conjugal' aren't you? sad.... as if it's anything more than SEX.
Sorry, apparently too technically for you.....we'll just use "husband and wife"....."conjugal " as in husband AND wife.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#10893 Oct 3, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
Ahhhhhh....but why does the lesbian divorce rate seem to be higher than that of gay men?
Do you have ANY evidence that Lesbians divorce more than Gay men? or is it as you claim that more Lesbians marry therefore the divorce rate appears higher and where are you getting your information from in the first place?

I've already stated my opinion about polygamy......and you trying to make it seem as though I have a different position just shows your dishonesty!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 2 min ThClj 52,163
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min JCPete 1,682,681
Drake Reminesces his song "Draft Day"............. 8 min Lord_P_Shotta 3
News John Kelly: Immigration 'hardass' 8 min freebird 7
News Bipartisan deal would create 12-year citizenshi... 9 min Guest 165
News Chuck Schumer flashes big smile after learning ... 11 min Doe 6
News Leaders say Trump presidency is at odds with ML... 11 min The Patriot 192
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 1 hr davy 17,396
News Oprah speech has Democrats buzzing about possib... 1 hr Doe 584
More from around the web