Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

Jan 7, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NBC Chicago

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Comments
881 - 900 of 17,568 Comments Last updated May 2, 2014
sickofit

Owatonna, MN

#909 Jan 12, 2013
Mom of Two wrote:
<quoted text>Correct, this is the era of raping & killing blacks and the Liberals who support them to gain votes and more political power.
Shut up you KKK nazi slime..........Your kind and your kidns evil BS are almost over..FREEDOM AND EQUALITY FOR ALL......NOT JUST RICH WHITE CHRISTIANS...GOT IT HITLER????

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#910 Jan 12, 2013
aisling- wrote:
<quoted text>
Marriage is not marriage in that marriage is defined as the union between a man and a woman. You are changing it from a heterosexual union to a same sex union and therefore, marriage ceases to be what was intended. Same sex unions are not heterosexual unions. Two of the same sex is not the same as a man and a woman. You can call it whatever you want but marriage will always be viewed as a heterosexual union. Some things you cannot change regardless of how many laws you change. As they say, the more something changes, the more it stays the same. So you can perform as many weddings as you wish to but it will considered a same sex union, not marriage, in the eyes of those who will see marriage as that between a man and a woman. There are just some things that will remain an absolute. And marriage is one of them. Just as a woman, for example, may be able to do the same job as a man, etc, but she will never be a man. Heterosexual unions and same sex unions are not the same and thus, the marriages will not be the same.
Obviously, you're wrong.

quote: "So you can perform as many weddings as you wish to but it will considered a same sex union, not marriage, in the eyes of those who will see marriage as that between a man and a woman."

And the point is: those people won't matter. At all. They will still have to legally recognize same sex marriages for purposes of business, etc. They won't have a choice. They can think whatever they want, but their thoughts won't matter. And over time, they'll die out, and their bigoted ideas with them.

You sound just like the racists who said they didn't care about the Civil Rights laws, black people would never be equal to them. Guess what - they're dead or irrelevant now, and when kids read history books about them, they shake their heads and think, "how could anybody be that way?"

That's how kids will see you. You are an embarrassment to this nation.

You can keep insisting things will "never change" but the fact is they already have, and will continue to do so. Yes, we will know more in June. But let me be clear: no matter what is decided in June, this doesn't end until full equality is achieved. Period.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#911 Jan 12, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
That is the dumbest argument you've made yet. It is entirely possible to expand people's rights without affecting the rights of others. Interracial marriage is an excellent example: Interracial couples gained the right to marry, and not a single intraracial couple had any rights curtailed.
It is the same with marriage equality for gay and lesbian couples. The only "right" you're afraid of losing is to treat gays and lesbians differently under the law. And that apparently grates your behind. Too bad for you.
Thank you!!

Since: Feb 09

My Own World

#912 Jan 12, 2013
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
Well you sure want to go back in time and have things like years ago..I HAVE AN IDEA MOVE TO IRAN....YOU WILL FIT RIGHT IN...
Well, there were people like Amelia Earhart and Madame Curie long before the 1960s. Some of my great-grandmother's MOTHER's female cousins were university proferssors in the 19 teens. Queen Elizabeth became the Queen in the 1940s or 1950s. I read about a couple of Black sisters who were dentists in their community back in the 1920s and beyond.

It was just thought of as the highest calling to be a mother to children and most women wanted to do that and COULD do it because one income could support a family. Then after women flooded the workforce- wages went down and now many have to work at jobs they hate just to keep a family financially afloat and do not have the CHOICE of being a stay at home mom if they want to-- so that choice is gone for most I would say- and this is progress. I guess it's progress for an infant to go to daycare where it sepnds most of it's waking hours with a bunch of strangers- looking after it along with a bunch of other kids as a job and continuing on until it starts to school.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#913 Jan 12, 2013
aisling- wrote:
<quoted text>
Aw, you hurt my feelings. If you want your unions have them but keep your hands off of marriage. You want equal, fine. But you want to expand your rights onto others. It's my right to defend marriage between a man and a woman and if you don't like it, too bad. Again, you don't want equal, you want special considerations to fit your choices. You want to impose your choices upon others.
I don't have a "union." I have a marriage. Choke on it, b!tch.

You're so over and you don't even know it.

Wait until it's legal in all 50 states. You'll have no one to chat with. None of us will be here because what's the point in arguing with the losers? You'll be as relevant as the KKK, and as widely shamed by mainstream society. Your talk will become unacceptable in the public square, just like the n-word has become over the last 30 years. The writing is on the wall. I feel sorry for you, there's something wrong with you to still be clinging so desperately to these ideas of inequality. What happened to you to make you like this?

Fort Lauderdale FL

#914 Jan 12, 2013
aisling- wrote:
<quoted text>
Fck your same sex marriages. You wish to play strong arm tactics to get your way, well, I'll equally defend marriage between a man and a woman because the last time that I checked, it's my right to. Welcome to the wonderful world of equality. You not only want your rights to be protected legally, you want to change the institution of marriage/the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman. Just because you can, it doesn't mean it's right.
Defend all you want. You're on the losing side of history.

People defended slavery. They thought they were righteous.

People defended segregation. They thought they were righteous.

People defended women being barefoot & pregnant with no vote. They thought they were righteous.

And people like you - amazingly - didn't learn their lesson from all that, and defend second-class citizenship for gay American citizens. And you actually think you are righteous.

You will be slapped down like the other groups before you. You are part of those kind of people. That's you.

And you're just as wrong as they were.

America, thankfully, is better than you.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#915 Jan 12, 2013
aisling- wrote:
<quoted text>
Last time that I checked, same sex marriage isn't the same. Oh I forgot, you want to attach yourself to the civil rights movement. Civil rights and same sex marriage is not the same. Learn the difference.
LOL!! OK, try and explain what's different. Good luck with that!

All civil rights are civil rights, dummy.
sickofit

Owatonna, MN

#916 Jan 12, 2013
sONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, there were people like Amelia Earhart and Madame Curie long before the 1960s. Some of my great-grandmother's MOTHER's female cousins were university proferssors in the 19 teens. Queen Elizabeth became the Queen in the 1940s or 1950s. I read about a couple of Black sisters who were dentists in their community back in the 1920s and beyond.
It was just thought of as the highest calling to be a mother to children and most women wanted to do that and COULD do it because one income could support a family. Then after women flooded the workforce- wages went down and now many have to work at jobs they hate just to keep a family financially afloat and do not have the CHOICE of being a stay at home mom if they want to-- so that choice is gone for most I would say- and this is progress. I guess it's progress for an infant to go to daycare where it sepnds most of it's waking hours with a bunch of strangers- looking after it along with a bunch of other kids as a job and continuing on until it starts to school.
And most women were looked down at and called names and treated like crap if they tryed being smart....back then

Fort Lauderdale FL

#917 Jan 12, 2013
aisling- wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you deal with it. You have your marriage so how about you go live your marriages. You got your way but now you can't stand it that not everyone will embrace your choice. You want to have your cake and eat it too. And anyone who doesn't share your view, you call anti-American. Nothing says that people have to accept your choices and the sooner you deal with it the better off you will be. Why are you trying to convince anyone? You got what you wanted but you didn't. Did you. And that's what you will never grasp. You can't change people when it comes to marriage.
Ummm...do you speak English?

I did deal with it. I am married. I have changed hearts and minds in my family, my spouse's family, our circles of friends, employment, our community, etc. Some of the people who attended our wedding, you would never have thought they would have done so a few years prior. But people who know me and know my heart and find out I'm gay - they can't accept the stereotypes anymore. They are forced to learn, firsthand, that what they were told about gay people was wrong.

That's doing my part. Others have done the same, and that is the primary reason so many more people are on our side now.

There are rare times when these board provide a similar opportunity. There was someone else on this board (not you) who I initially thought might be worth a discussion, but they turned out to be full of crap (and so are you.)

When people are truly interested in discussion, they behave differently than you.

When most straight people are presented with the facts, they "get it." You can see the little light bulb go off. They know they didn't choose their sexual identity, and they know they can't change it. They were born that way, we were born this way, and we deserve the opportunity for every happiness just as much as the next person.

Why you don't get it says a lot more about you than about us. You're hung up on something that doesn't even concern you - there has to be more to it. There's something wrong with you. What you present here is irrational, bordering on childlike tantrums, "No, no no, I won't accept it, never never..." It's bizarre behavior.

My 88 year old Grandma can understand it; so should you. You're not special. You're just a person like everybody else. Deal with the fact that in this particular country, you have to live with other people who are not like you. Just like I have to deal with the fact that you're in it.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#918 Jan 12, 2013
aisling- wrote:
<quoted text>
What you can't grasp is that regardless of how many years pass, it will never be regarded in the same manner as a marriage between a man and a woman. It will be regarded as a same sex union with the label of marriage. You can pass as many laws as you want but it's too firmly ingrained in people that a marriage is the union between a man and a woman. Two of the same sex is not the same as a man and woman. You can't take two entirely different things and make them the same, regardless of how many laws you pass and regardless of how long time has passed.
That's *precisely* what they said about black people when the Civil Rights Act was passed.

Notice who's President lately?

How many racist opinions matter now?

Are you getting it yet? Do you really not see where this is going??

My Own World

#919 Jan 12, 2013
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
And most women were looked down at and called names and treated like crap if they tryed being smart....back then
Not really, for the most part. They were called "old maids" if they didn't marry and were kind of pitied for not having a husband and children- even if they didn't want to. My gg grandmother's female cousins that I speak of never married and were sisters. They bought a nice home together, travelled, had nice furniture, friends, lots of luncheons in their home and seemed to be happy people from what I ascertain.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#920 Jan 12, 2013
aisling- wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be you. Sorry but I don't regard and never will regard the union of two people of the same sex to be the same as a husband and wife. What you want is for people to hold your views and push their own values that they hold for themselves aside just because of a law. You can pass all the laws that you want but bottom-line, same sex marriages will not be the same as those between a man and a woman. No one is saying that same sex unions can't share the same love and dynamics that heterosexual unions have but it's not the same as a marriage between a man and a woman. I won't say one is better than the other but different for the obvious reasons. It's not hate but simply that you can't force people to feel something that they don't. And that would include how people deep down feel about marriage as it applies to a man/woman and those of the same sex. You can't change how people view marriage when the institution of marriage as it applies to a man and woman just because of a law. Legally, yes, it will be acknowledged but again, it's been ingrained that a man and woman constitutes a marriage for too long to change how people feel deep down just because of a law.
No, you don't get it. Are you so egomaniacal to think this era is the be all and end all?

It's only "ingrained" in people alive today (and only some of them, mostly over a certain age.) Younger people are growing up differently. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND THAT THIS TREND WILL CONTINUE, and therefore the percentage of people on your side will continue to decrease, and the percentage of people on our side will continue to increase. This is really not debatable.

There are more white people now who are not racists than there were 20 years ago, because the old racists died off, and the new white children were raised better. Some strains will linger here and there, but eventually they are pretty much wiped out. As will be the homophobes.

So your little "never ever" tirades are very very silly. Very soon you will be the tiny, tiny minority still hanging onto the notion that "nobody" will "accept" same sex marriage. It really is bordering on delusion at this point - and there seems to be some obsession as well. Why are you spending all this time on message boards talking about this issue? Don't you have a life? We have a vested interest in this, you don't. Unless there's something you haven't told us.

What I keep trying to tell you is *I have no interest* in forcing you to change your thoughts or feelings or opinions or whatever. The law will prevent you from acting on them. That's all I need. And then you'll die. And as more people like you die, fewer and fewer of them will be replaced with people like you. You. Are. Over.
sickofit

Owatonna, MN

#921 Jan 12, 2013
sONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really, for the most part. They were called "old maids" if they didn't marry and were kind of pitied for not having a husband and children- even if they didn't want to. My gg grandmother's female cousins that I speak of never married and were sisters. They bought a nice home together, travelled, had nice furniture, friends, lots of luncheons in their home and seemed to be happy people from what I ascertain.
You just said it.....They were "pitied" FOR HAVING A CARREER AND NOT BEING TIED DOWN WITH BRATS????????

Point is is is 2013...And the DREAM world you mazi fascist christian slime want is never gonna happen again..MOVE TO IRAN IF YOU WANT THAT..

Fort Lauderdale FL

#922 Jan 12, 2013
aisling- wrote:
<quoted text>
Just remember me when you call someone less of an American because they share a different view than you. Pass all the laws you want but you can't change how people feel and again, especially when it comes to marriage. Laws do not change how people feel and some will never change their views on same sex marriage, regardless.
You ARE less of an American. Not because you "don't agree with" me. Lots of people disagree with me about lots of things.

You disagree with the American ideals of equality and freedom. Therefore, by definition, you ARE unAmerican.

You ARE as reprehensible as the white people who WANTED black people to sit on the back of the bus. That's YOU.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#923 Jan 12, 2013
aisling- wrote:
<quoted text>
And what are you going to do when you have your laws passed and people still view it like they do now? You going to cry and stomp your feet and call everyone a Nazi because they don't join in that big group hug and sing the liberal's anthem of kumbaya?
We totally won't care!! I promise!!

The people who still view it like they do now will not matter - they will have no power or authority to act on their feelings - they will have to get used to it.

I have zero interest in trying to change their minds. It's a waste of time. God either opens your eyes or He doesn't. I can't force Him to do it.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#924 Jan 12, 2013
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Memories
Like the corners of my mind
Misty water colored memories
Of the way we were.
Scattered pictures
Of the smiles we left behind
Times we gave to one another
For the way we were.
Can it be that it was all so simple then?
Or has time re-written every line?
If we had the chance to do it all again,
Would we?
Could we?
Sorry--you were just getting so misty-eyes and melodramatic that I just had to busy out a chorus of "The Way We Were."
You seem to be terrified of changing anything out of fear that something will change. Thank goodness you weren't around when slavery ended. You would have *really* crapped your pants then, huh??
omg I'm cracking up!! LOL

My Own World

#925 Jan 12, 2013
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
You just said it.....They were "pitied" FOR HAVING A CARREER AND NOT BEING TIED DOWN WITH BRATS????????
Point is is is 2013...And the DREAM world you mazi fascist christian slime want is never gonna happen again..MOVE TO IRAN IF YOU WANT THAT..
They don't have that in Iran....

Tied down with brats, lol.

I probaby will move- but it won't be to Iran.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#926 Jan 12, 2013
aisling- wrote:
<quoted text>
As I stated, that's something could be addressed via the legal system and to implement any necessary changes. There's more than one way to do it without having to pass laws to allow same sex marriage when it's my understanding that it won't stand in states/overseas that may not recognize civil marriages. I don't feel that anyone should not be protected or treated unfairly re what you've stated but that I feel that marriage between a man and woman should be preserved.
Yes, it will be addressed via the legal system. It's called marriage for all. Simple. Done.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#927 Jan 12, 2013
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
It's exhausting, isn't it? We're surrounded by idiots.
ta-da!

Fort Lauderdale FL

#928 Jan 12, 2013
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll revise my statement then.
Its more about acceptance than equality.
No, it really isn't.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 min Le Jimbo 151,535
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min TheIndependentMaj... 1,101,999
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 3 min positronium 257,187
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 min DAVID27 305,495
Who do you side with in Ferguson? 5 min Toby 2,331
Teen's Shooting Highlights Racial Tension 6 min Le Jimbo 1,711
Enemy of My Enemy: Are airstrikes against ISIS ... 8 min Le Jimbo 63
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr FREE SERVANT 115,411
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

US News People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE