Mexico: Mayan ball court was celestia...

Mexico: Mayan ball court was celestial 'marker'

There are 4 comments on the OregonLive.com story from Oct 5, 2012, titled Mexico: Mayan ball court was celestial 'marker'. In it, OregonLive.com reports that:

Mexican archaeologists say they have determined that the ancient Mayas built watchtower-style structures atop the ceremonial ball court at the temples of Chichen Itza to observe the equinoxes and solstices, and they said Friday that the discovery adds to understanding of the many layers of ritual significance that the ball game had for the culture.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at OregonLive.com.

Mary

Orangeville, Canada

#1 Oct 6, 2012
well

Stoney Creek, Canada

#2 Oct 6, 2012
If Mayans were so good at predicting the future how come they failed to see their demise?
Hector

Palm Desert, CA

#3 Oct 6, 2012
Me lleva la cagada...! the pre-mojado Mayan ball court, was a public chitter...! it took archaeologist many years to uncover.....

Since: Mar 12

Georgetown, TX

#4 Oct 7, 2012
well wrote:
If Mayans were so good at predicting the future how come they failed to see their demise?
Are you really so filled with hate that when some history about an incredible archaeological site is revealed, you still need to fire off a cheap shot? As easy to ask, what with the Doric Oracles, why wasn't Rome able to survive? Or with their astronomical sites like Stonehenge, why isn't Druidism the dominant religion of England? When science is applied to engineering or meteorology, or agriculture, civilization is advanced. When science is perverted to religious superstitions, you can count on the demise of said civilization. FAITH NUST BE SUBLIMATED TO REASON! Otherwise, progress is doomed and you haters win...nothing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dear Trump Voters: The 1950's Aren't Coming Back 2 min Red Crosse 1,630
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 min Skin Head Water Park 27,260
News Why Hire More Border Patrol When Illegal Immigr... 3 min Putins Glock Holster 136
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 min russianrepukes 287,981
News Federal court tosses out racist Texas voter sup... 4 min Retribution 3
News Uncounted Kansas ballots fuel fears about Kris ... 6 min DP Cassie 10
News John Oliver blasts Trump on Charlottesville: 'D... 11 min Putins Glock Holster 59
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 28 min Well Well 1,583,758
News Clinton: My 'skin crawled' as Trump hovered on ... 35 min Red Crosse 35
News Monument madness a leftist cover to crumble Ame... 2 hr poi pounder 173
More from around the web