Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70631 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

“No Bishop,No King,No Nobility”

Since: May 08

The Underworld

#11572 Dec 9, 2009
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
You judge as mortal men judge; and not as God; who knows all things.
Morality doesn't change based on what you know.

You can go back in time and kill baby Hitler, but you'd still be a murderer.

Since: Nov 09

Milwaukee, WI

#11573 Dec 9, 2009
It is very clear that these children of Our Lord are very troubled. What they need to do is accept Jesus as their savior.They need to be BORN AGAIN.
Wolverine

Greeley, CO

#11574 Dec 9, 2009
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you're saying that Satan tricked god?
Or are you saying that god has limits after all as he can't destroy the one and not the other?
No....Robin Hood....Im Saying He Can Take Him Out At Any Time....But We Need To Learn The Lesson First !
Wolverine

Greeley, CO

#11575 Dec 9, 2009
Path wrote:
<quoted text>I've never seen that sum'bich... always lived in cities and suburbs (notorious for unnecessary volumes of street lamps, like, for safety or some such b.s.)... one day though... ONE DAY I TELL YOU!!!
Perhaps Thats The Problem....You Guys Cant See The Stars From The Smog....Wake Up !

The Underworld

#11576 Dec 9, 2009
You're really not getting this.
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
So given enough time all the air in a closed room can migrate to just one half of the room? A monkey pounding on a keyboard will one day type out "War and Peace?" While; your "Time god" can do all things!
Nope; just the possible ones, no matter how improbable.

“Church of Latter Day Heathens”

Since: Feb 09

Austin, Tx

#11577 Dec 9, 2009
Rev Warren Barczynski wrote:
It is very clear that these children of Our Lord are very troubled. What they need to do is accept Jesus as their savior.They need to be BORN AGAIN.
Ha ha ha. Good one. I am LMAO!
Wolverine

Greeley, CO

#11578 Dec 9, 2009
I Live 50 Miles Northwest Of Denver....I Can See The Milky Way All The Time....Along With A Few Unidentified Flying Others !

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11579 Dec 9, 2009
T Leary wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard on the news this morning that the Hubble Tele spotted galaxies that formed 600mil years after the big bang.
http://www.canada.com/technology/Hubble+teles...
The Hubble is one cool 'scope.

It's not only looking at the Universe, it's a Time Machine, looking backwards into time, too.

So very nerdy, too...

:D

I love it.

The Underworld

#11580 Dec 9, 2009
Rev Warren Barczynski wrote:
Thanks, but I'll pass.

I didn't "need" to be born once.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11581 Dec 9, 2009
Paul WV wrote:
Your gods, Random and Chance, are the same and yet different.
Path wrote:
Nothing is {really} random, or chance. It's just a way to simplify the explanation, because the truth of it is incredibly complex on the macro scale (although very simple on the micro scale).

Mutations occur in every offspring. We call it random to make the explanation simpler. The truth is that there are millions of environmental factors involved; too many to calculate and control with our current tools; so many that it might as well be random, but it's not.

The development of an offspring is affected by the chemicals and proteins taken in by the mother during gestation. These chemicals and proteins are largely affected by the air she breaths and the food she eats, and they cause changes in the offspring through chemical and biological reactions with the chemicals and proteins.

To calculate all of these factors would be quite cumbersome, but eventually I'm sure someone will (to the detriment of all expectant mothers who will then be told what to and not to eat and breath). Until then, we'll just simplify things and call it "random".
Oh Noes!

You used......science on him.

His head would explode, if not for the 3 feet of concrete he has poured around his brain....

“Church of Latter Day Heathens”

Since: Feb 09

Austin, Tx

#11582 Dec 9, 2009
Wolverine wrote:
I Live 50 Miles Northwest Of Denver....I Can See The Milky Way All The Time....Along With A Few Unidentified Flying Others !
Yes the view can be quite good in your neck of the woods. At one time I worked for the forsest service near Ward, CO.(outside of boulder in the mountains). Quite nice view.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11583 Dec 9, 2009
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
The universe and light were created at the same time, either by unexplained spontaneity or otherwise. The fastest possible speed the universe could expand is at the speed of light, not faster. NOTHING can go faster than the speed of light, unless you're a radio wave that's passed through a polarization synchrotron. Light speed is time speed. If it were possible for matter to exceed that speed, it would recede in time and eventually arrive at it's beginning.
You're an idiot.

I'm not here to educate such a willful idiot as you: go study up on the Big Bang theory, and the rapid initial expansion of the universe.

I know these concepts are very high-brow for someone as low-brow as you appear to be, but give it a try, at least, before appearing so incredibly stupid in the future....

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11584 Dec 9, 2009
T Leary wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm waiting with anticipation. I spent 3 of my undergrad years as an Astronomy student. But took an Anthropology class and was hooked.
I would call myslef an amature astronomer. I just love the stuff. I can be star gazing and get feelings that many would say was 'religious'. They are feeling of elation at just being part of this great universe and have an understanding of it. It is fantastic that we are part of the universe that is self aware.
Did you see the newsbit about Space Ship Two?

If we can commercialize space, there's hope for humans getting *off* this rock.

Once that becomes possible? We can leave the earth and all it's pollution to the cowardly fundies....

I could see it: the fore-thinking humans exit earth, and colonize space and the nearby stars, taking several hundred years to do so.

Then, say a thousand years pass, and they finally return to earth, to see what's left.

They will find a paltry few million humans living as stone-age, but preserving their kooky religions....

Sad.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11585 Dec 9, 2009
jack13 wrote:
<quoted text> science keeps pushing towards the start of the universe. Last I'd heard, they had reached out to 700 million years. Now they have cut it down to 600 million years. Amazing. I wonder what the limit will be?
The age of the universe sets the limit-- the farthest we can see is the same as how far light travels in roughly 15 billion years.

Beyond that? We're before the universe began.

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#11586 Dec 9, 2009
Paul WV wrote:
Prove "zero eyewitness" here; and not just your prejudices showing. You only see what you want to see.
it baffles the mind...you people run around saying "Have an open mind!" "Just 'believe' or 'have faith'...yet you absolutely refuse to acknowledge overwhelming evidence that your mystic faith is nothing but your ancestors ghost stories.... Talk about only seeing what you want!!! your pathetic!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11587 Dec 9, 2009
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
There is only one God and He is God of the whole human family! Get it?
I get that YOU are as arrogant as they come.

I get that YOU have an EGO the size of Jupiter.

You presume YOU and YOU ALONE dictates what god is, and is not...!

Wow.... You're worse than Bush!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11588 Dec 9, 2009
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you God's judge? You?
I'm a human being.

It is in my nature, as a human, to judge what I see.

So far?

Your version of god falls pathetically short: he's evil, he's immoral, he's a rapist, he's a mass-murderer, and so on.

And that's just in the first 5 books...!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11589 Dec 9, 2009
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
Right; next you will be telling me the earth is flat; or that the moon landing was stage in a studio.
Well-- the bible claims the earth is flat.

As for the moon landing? Myth Busters proved it was real-- more than sufficient proof, too.

Of course, you have to be able to THINK, to understand the proof.....

....a skill you've failed to demonstrate.
Wolverine

Greeley, CO

#11590 Dec 9, 2009
Bob...History Channel Ran A Show Called How The Earth Began, Last Night....They Said Its A Fact That The Worlds Oceans Were Formed By Water In Asteroids.....Give Me A Scientific Break....If Water Wasnt There To Cool The Swirling Magma From The Get Go...It Wouldnt Have Formed...And If We Were Waiting For Enough Asteroids To Make The Oceans...We Would Still Be Waiting

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11591 Dec 9, 2009
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
Once more another false statement. Prove it!
Easy: when was the last time your god actually FULFILLED the bible promises?

Answer: none.

When was the last time your god healed an amputee?

Answer: None.

Case closed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min RoxLo 1,431,453
News Police in riot-hit Charlotte say shooting victi... 6 min PayupSucka 462
News Jordan Writer Accused of Blaspheming Islam Shot... 7 min Moses Kestenbaum ODA 2
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 min Dr Guru 225,447
News Obama vetoes 9/11 bill; possible override by Co... 14 min bottlecap 36
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 18 min swampmudd 10,128
News FBI releases notes from Clinton email investiga... 20 min Le Jimbo 29
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 31 min Abe 243,363
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 1 hr watching from above 395,222
More from around the web