Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TurkishPress.com

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Comments
68,921 - 68,940 of 70,983 Comments Last updated Tuesday Aug 5

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

boooots wrote:
My general impression of being in the Christian mode, though, seemed relatively positive at the time, and I can still understand that many people are still into it, and have no desire to change that.
Perhaps I have had an education more recently on sites such as this to the very dark side of belief, and some of the very dark-sided believers.
Me too-- my whole life, during the time I was a practicing christian, was positive from my viewpoint.

It wasn't until I got some distance, and looked back, when I realized what an emotional roller-coaster I was on, due to christianity.

It was actually abusive, in retrospect. I likely would've left much sooner, except that my family got out of the cultlike version, and switched to a more mainstream christianity-- and one that was theologically liberal (emphasis on stewardship, caring, love, etc-- no mention at all, of hell, sin, retribution, etc). And with such a theologically-liberal branch of christianity, it was very accepting of science-- saw no conflict at all, in fact.

That enabled me to float along far longer than I would have otherwise, I suspect.

The more abusive versions of christianity are easier to find a motive or reason to dump overboard, than the other sorts.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind of interesting that the scholars must have been aware of those other writings over the last 2000 years but kept telling us anyway that God told us that through Jesus. Kind of obviously a screwup of very significant proportions considering the number of people who have "believed" without questioning, all those years.
Well you know how it is-- religious blinders can be powerful.

:)

Or to put it another way? Lying to yourself, in order to maintain that desired fantasy-delusion.

You know... faith.

<LOL>
Imhotep

Gainesville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind of interesting that the scholars must have been aware of those other writings over the last 2000 years but kept telling us anyway that God told us that through Jesus. Kind of obviously a screwup of very significant proportions considering the number of people who have "believed" without questioning, all those years.
What I've gleaned from most irreligious people I've talked to the course of my life...

By hook or crook they were exposed to true history rather than biblical history

Then of course the obvious problems began immediately

The Egyptians don't recognize Moses as ever having been there. His alleged deeds and character remain a myth to them

Likewise Roman history does not record Jesus
All accounts of this alleged Savior were written 50 years or more after-the-fact

And you know what they say about hearsay evidence
Imhotep

Gainesville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember under Constantine, the church began the oppression and suppression of free thought

Christianity is easily the worst disaster in human history

If there's anything to thanking a God for... its the Reformation and the people who left the power and control of the Vatican
This took serious balls in those days

Henry VIII may have been the first ruler to tell the Vatican to piss off after being denied a divorce
John

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

You loons are going to enjoy Islam. Liberal atheism destroys free nations.

Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe.
Imhotep

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

NRP - u r still behind Chop chop you know what they say about idle hands and empty minds...

I oracles say you will not be able to resist
Get busy everyone is waiting for your next syllable

We prefer the large Copy Pastes
It makes it easier to skip

I give you less than hour on this one. ;)
Chop chop
John

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

Thank you for the nothing breakfast.
Imhotep

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

See Spot run - amuck
See spot jump - The stump
See Spot bark - Up the wrong tree over and over

Chop chop - Woof Bark Growl
Here Doggie Doggie
Chop chop - Idle hands idle mind you're way behind as usual
Here Doggie Doggie
|
|
|
\/
Begin spam
John

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

How cute my petulant puppet. You do have a tendency to think your in charge. Pssst, man is not the be all end all and your nothing amuses me.

I command you to continue irrelevant posting in your fight for the nothing.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
See Spot run - amuck
See spot jump - The stump
See Spot bark - Up the wrong tree over and over
Chop chop - Woof Bark Growl
Here Doggie Doggie
Chop chop - Idle hands idle mind you're way behind as usual
Here Doggie Doggie
|
|
|
\/
Begin spam
Brilliant :D

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

John wrote:
How cute my petulant puppet. You do have a tendency to think your in charge. Pssst, man is not the be all end all and your nothing amuses me.
I command you to continue irrelevant posting in your fight for the nothing.
your cult has already been proven to be a myth. your argument was lost before you started...
Imhotep

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Brilliant :D
This is one Mutt thats entertaining! Woof!

Predictable with zero imagination
This is one to talk about rather than to talk to! simply too juvenile - suffering from Advanced Christian Dementia - ACD

I suspect windowpane, perhaps microdot, orange sunshine maybe even purple haze were used.

John

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

Yawn. Your nothing forum was well thought out. Great nonpoints. Fight harder!!
John

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

Another day of ineptitude from the antitheists.*Note to lurkers* They have gone almost four years without giving one accountable position they are willing to debate. Four years without an example of evidence that meets their criteria for evidence. These are angry agenda driven folks that don't give a damn about the evidence.
If you want to subject yourself to this farce by all means see for yourself. Antitheists you could also just cut and paste one of the 68,965 posts to show otherwise.
Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe. True
science that is repeatable and observable.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>your cult has already been proven to be a myth. your argument was lost before you started...
That makes no sense, WoodChuck.

The cult exists, even if you characterize them as a cult.

So the "cult" cannot be a "myth", by your own admission.

If it were a myth, you could not accuse him of being in a cult.

Maybe you mean his "cult" is "based on a myth"?

If you will send me your posts before you post them, I will help you reconstruct them so they are not stupid.

You don't have to thank me.
Imhotep

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Well you know how it is-- religious blinders can be powerful.
:)
Or to put it another way? Lying to yourself, in order to maintain that desired fantasy-delusion.
You know... faith.
<LOL>
Here is something you're certain to enjoy

Lewis Black on evolution
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch... ;
desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DxcJ vkAdydnQ

Best of the bushisms
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch...

Here doggie doggie
Chop chop
Here doggie doggie
Woof - Bark - Yelp -
Idle fingers once again get busy NRP

4 post minimum, You are woefully behind

Jesus is getting more angry by the moment
You should know JC only trusts atheists because he knows we won't lie to him like his followers

Now get busy everyone is anxious for your next syllable chop chop
John

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

No they are fighting/lashing out at God. Most of them. This forum has gone on for years and it happens with or without me. You think simple disbelief has carried the forum in all its venom this long? The evidence speaks otherwise. Speaking of evidence. Do you have any in this arena you hold others accountable to?
I've already exposed your standard of evidence yet you want ME to provide YOU evidence in your forum. Let me guess you'll be the arbiter. Your forum insists on fighting God, you can't stay away from him. I've made it clear, apparently you don't read my posts that I don't debate nothing. God is merely an axe and diversion created by loons to mask their nothing agenda.
You've made the claim there is no God so prove it. That's your deal and problem whether its impossible or not. I've offered to debate the evidences/reasons I believe in a prime mover vs any accountable position of belief you want to make a case for. You have failed miserably. Not my problem.
Regurgitating tired nonpoints despite four years of me being clear makes it obvious you have no intention of doing anything other than projecting. Nothing certainly is not the answer.
Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe..2
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Why do you sit in a puddle of your own piss?
John wrote:
Yawn. Your nothing forum was well thought out. Great nonpoints. Fight harder!!

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Absolutely. Right back at ya. Originally I simply asked the forum what they believed and noted that antitheism is in my experience all too often the default. Being a believer is/was irrelevant. I was accurate and antitheists showed their true colors, lashing out against a God they don't believe in and a God I was not attempting to shove down their throats.
Ruling out possibilities is not freethinking. We don't know what we don't know. Attacking/marginalizing belief isn't intellectually honest when nothing meets the repeatable and observable standard. Four years of no evidence in the atheism forum is enough for me to conclude this. I've asked the question hundreds of times and many claim to have provided it, but that's a lie. No sugarcoating it.
The conversation devolved quickly as (the way I see it) their was a group attack effort to bring this God they seem to hate into the equation. This did not dissuade me as I chose to stay on point. I was clear my intentions were not to make any claims, I was and am simply pointing out intellectual dishonesty.
I continued trying to get the "rules" for evidence after all attempts to get answers to legitimate questions failed. I sought these rules in response to the neverending attacks to further expose the forum. I offered to debate the evidences/reasons I believe in a prime mover vs any accountable position of belief that meets the criteria I was given. This challenge was not accepted. There will be claims otherwise but I guarrantee you won't find what I've asked. Now imagine doing this dance for four years simply because I refuse to debate nothing. I didn't set out to mock simple disbelief, that fine but this isn't that and I think you know it.
Name a subject I get to ask all the questions on and your job is to defend it, over and over and over and over again. How about science? Get my point? It's even more ridiculous considering I've exposed the standard. Remember my question regarding evidence quantification? Never answered relevantly.
Nonbelievers like yourself leave pretty quickly and they should. You may find it glib but what is the point of a forum about nothing? This is an agenda that stifles true freethought.
A simple I don't know...end forum would have sufficed. Now its a game to me to see how many years this forum will be intellectualy dishonest in their fight for nothing.
I appreciate your consideration but I've done this multiple times with decent folk like yourself. I won't debate in front of the kids without the reasonable prerequisites I've asked for. A simple no to my question should have been the response years ago LOL. Back to cut and paste. Yawn.
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit.
You weren't saying?

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

You make the presupposition that there is no evidence without admitting you do not have the scientifically measurable evidence to support your position of nothing. You have placed limits on what may be limitless. You have placed limits where they need not be. Thus far I have seen no evidence provided by an atheist that would support what is disingenuously called natural mechanisms only. If you think there isn't evidence of design you would be wrong. Admittedly, this can not be proven using your constricting criteria, but nothing in this arena has been proven using this standard. You know this by now. That is why it is so frustrating to the forum when it's pointed out. Judging by the ever-growing anecdotal evidence of this forum overwhelmingly congregated by atheists, atheism is something else entirely. There is a large contingent of antitheists, a portion devoted to secular humanism, and some interplay with other assorted isms. The common denominator is that every single one of these positions is lacking in evidence. The notion that man is the be all end all is flawed in my opinion. Of course you wish to shirk any burden of proof. That's transparent and shows a weak position. Atheism has been co-opted by the new atheist. Much more vocal and commited to breaking down the populace writ large that actually do have a position. I've given more than enough opportunity for atheists to engage in debate that is not circular. The brilliance and weakness of atheism is no accountability. That's why it's not challenging to debate this topic with you loons. Apologies to the few that aren't driven by more than uncertainty. When Reagan debated Gorbachev on our nuclear arsenals each man had a position. If there was a political debate the political atheist would attack the other position and not have to be responsible for one himself. If one football team was atheist and the other was not they would have the ball on offense the whole game. Fumble, and the ball would be returned. This is what you ask for here, but is unacceptable in every other topic. I'm conservative btw. A rational freethinker. I'm sure you are a centrist LOL. What's the mushy middle ithought on government size, abortion, tax rates?
If there isn't a position don't bother responding. How is the fence Bob, Septic, Tinkling,,,,? You got the post wedged good and deep yet? Stump an antitheist! Ask it what it believes. Still going strong 68,915 posts in.
Still nothing about atheism in the atheist forum. No position, no post #. Lies, spin, ad hominem, and boredom.
Waiting for an example of what passes the cut for evidence from atheists. Cowards!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ferguson Police Are Being Relieved Of Their Dut... 4 min Sky Rocket 1,732
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min PDUPONT 1,099,302
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 5 min Mothra 32,427
A year later: Immigrants fear reform will never... 6 min Memo From Turner 68
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 7 min Mothra 46,276
Who do you side with in Ferguson? 9 min boo ya 1,378
Voters in Florida, 3 other states head to polls 9 min Mothra 19
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 13 min Straw Grasping Te... 151,033
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 17 min positronium 255,627
New fear: What happens in Ferguson if no charges? 50 min boo ya 229
Teen's Shooting Highlights Racial Tension 56 min neveratfault 1,281
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

US News People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••