Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70645 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

Thinking

Sheffield, UK

#71406 Apr 18, 2013
If I had some way of defaulting on paying maybe I would visit.

I wouldn't give those child abusers a penny.
Imhotep wrote:
Breaking news alert - You know who you are ;)
It is time to stop believing 'The Flintstones' was a documentary.
Whenever I need a good laugh this is a terrific site
http://creationmuseum.org/
The state-of-the-art 70,000 square foot museum brings the pages of the Bible to life, casting its characters and animals in dynamic form and placing them in familiar settings. Adam and Eve live in the Garden of Eden. Children play and dinosaurs roam near Eden’s Rivers. The serpent coils cunningly in the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Majestic murals, great masterpieces brimming with pulsating colors and details, provide a backdrop for many of the settings.
Do we have any takers?
Have your credit card ready
70,000 ft.² of lunacy
Thinking

Sheffield, UK

#71407 Apr 18, 2013
More cu*t and paste from the failed John.
John wrote:
Absolutely. Right back at ya. Originally I simply asked the forum what they believed and noted that antitheism is in my experience all too often the default. Being a believer is/was irrelevant. I was accurate and antitheists showed their true colors, lashing out against a God they don't believe in and a God I was not attempting to shove down their throats.
Ruling out possibilities is not freethinking. We don't know what we don't know. Attacking/marginalizing belief isn't intellectually honest when nothing meets the repeatable and observable standard. Four years of no evidence in the atheism forum is enough for me to conclude this. I've asked the question hundreds of times and many claim to have provided it, but that's a lie. No sugarcoating it.
The conversation devolved quickly as (the way I see it) their was a group attack effort to bring this God they seem to hate into the equation. This did not dissuade me as I chose to stay on point. I was clear my intentions were not to make any claims, I was an am.simply pointing out intellectual dishonesty.
I continued trying to get the "rules" for evidence after all attempts to get answers to legitiamate questions failed. I sought these rules in response to the neverending attacks to further expose the forum. I offered to debate the evidences/reasons I believe in a prime mover vs any accountable position of belief that meets the criteria I was given. This challenge was not accepted. There will be claims otherwise but I guarrantee you won't find what I've asked. Now imagine doing this dance for four years simply because I refuse to debate nothing. I didn't set out to mock simple disbelief, that fine but this isn't that and I think you know it.
Name a subject I get to ask all the questions on and your job is to defend it, over and over and over and over again. How about science? Get my point? It's even more ridiculous considering I've exposed the standard. Remember my question regarding evidence quantification? Never answered relevantly.
Nonbelievers like yourself leave pretty quickly and they should. You may find it glib but what is the point of a forum about nothing? This is an agenda that stifles true freethought.
A simple I don't know...end forum would have sufficed. Now its a game to me to see how many years this forum will be intellectualy dishonest in their fight for nothing.
I appreciate your consideration but I've done this multiple times with decent folk like yourself. I won't debate in front of the kids without the reasonable prerequisites I've asked for. A simple no to my question should have been the response years ago LOL. Back to cut and paste. Yawn.
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit./
Imhotep

Saint Petersburg, FL

#71408 Apr 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
More cu*t and paste from the failed John.
<quoted text>
That mammal is a case study in dogma addiction

Evidence of a disturbed mind

The gruesome affects of religious brainwashing

Consider the endless repetition and the hours invested posting basically nothing

With each post the paranoia grows

I enjoy watching the Continuing meltdown and hope this thread Will grow to at least 4 billion posts! Even when we know 3.5 billion will all be the same.

The benefit to society will be keeping this mammal very busy at his keyboard and thus Protecting The general public.

Did I mention the continual comedy fodder he provides?

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest".
~Diderot
John

United States

#71409 Apr 18, 2013
You make the presupposition that there is no evidence without admitting you do not have the scientifically measurable evidence to support your position of nothing. You have placed limits on what may be limitless. You have placed limits where they need not be. Thus far I have seen no evidence provided by an atheist that would support what is disingenuously called natural mechanisms only. If you think there isn't evidence of design you would be wrong. Admittedly, this can not be proven using your constricting criteria, but nothing in this arena has been proven using this standard. You know this by now. That is why it is so frustrating to the forum when it's pointed out. Judging by the ever-growing anecdotal evidence of this forum overwhelmingly congregated by atheists, atheism is something else entirely. There is a large contingent of antitheists, a portion devoted to secular humanism, and some interplay with other assorted isms. The common denominator is that every single one of these positions is lacking in evidence. The notion that man is the be all end all is flawed in my opinion. Of course you wish to shirk any burden of proof. That's transparent and shows a weak position. Atheism has been co-opted by the new atheist. Much more vocal and commited to breaking down the populace writ large that actually do have a position. I've given more than enough opportunity for atheists to engage in debate that is not circular. The brilliance and weakness of atheism is no accountability. That's why it's not challenging to debate this topic with you loons. Apologies to the few that aren't driven by more than uncertainty. When Reagan debated Gorbachev on our nuclear arsenals each man had a position. If there was a political debate the political atheist would attack the other position and not have to be responsible for one himself. If one football team was atheist and the other was not they would have the ball on offense the whole game. Fumble, and the ball would be returned. This is what you ask for here, but is unacceptable in every other topic. I'm conservative btw. A rational freethinker. I'm sure you are a centrist LOL. What's the mushy middle ithought on government size, abortion, tax rates?
If there isn't a position don't bother responding. How is the fence Bob, Septic, Tinkling,,,,? You got the post wedged good and deep yet? Stump an antitheist! Ask it what it believes. Still going strong 68,550 posts in.
Still nothing about atheism in the atheist forum. No position, no post #. Lies, spin, ad hominem, and boredom.
Waiting for an example of what passes the cut for evidence from atheists. Cowards!
Thinking

Sheffield, UK

#71410 Apr 18, 2013
John is a massive tw*t.

The godless world rolls on oblivious to his lack of consent.
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
That mammal is a case study in dogma addiction
Evidence of a disturbed mind
The gruesome affects of religious brainwashing
Consider the endless repetition and the hours invested posting basically nothing
With each post the paranoia grows
I enjoy watching the Continuing meltdown and hope this thread Will grow to at least 4 billion posts! Even when we know 3.5 billion will all be the same.
The benefit to society will be keeping this mammal very busy at his keyboard and thus Protecting The general public.
Did I mention the continual comedy fodder he provides?
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest".
~Diderot

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#71411 Apr 18, 2013
John wrote:
True science that is repeatable and observable.
John, in the spirit of brotherhood between all men, let's try to move towards a more comfortable discussion here (trying to convince myself), in view of the recent tragedies in Boston and the more recent one in Texas, people are being harmed, either through intent or through accident.

Could you, please, be more specific about what beliefs that you are looking for from atheists? Atheists have no beliefs regarding a deity, so with so many other possible topics that humans have ideas, beliefs, theories, opinions about, it is pretty well necessary to name a subject, otherwise we would never be able to list all beliefs that atheists have.

I will tell you some of mine though, and likely I will be repeating some that I have mentioned on Topix many times, as I do tend to repeat myself, and also my short term memory is not all that great.

I believe:

- man has only learned about a small tip of an icebergs amount of all that there is for man to know, but that we know thousands of times as much as man knew when my grandfather sailed to Canada in 1891. I know that man has progressed psychologically and socially a lot since that time too, but not near as fast as our knowledge has, so that we lag behind in that area.

- you are basically a good man, and apparently you, like my mother, father, both grandparents, several siblings, hundreds of extended family, do believe there is a God and that there is life after death. In that I see no problem, though I for the past close to 20 years have come to doubt very seriously that any truth exists in those beliefs.

- I believe that the Christian beliefs of my parents and grandparents have made them community leaders in their lifetimes, and respected by most all people in their communities, and I believe they were honestly doing that because they honestly believed it was the proper and right thing to do.

- I believe I have also picked up some prejudices in my life, some from my parents, regarding their beliefs, that being a Christian meant certain things, which I do not now think were correct and fair, and that I demonized people in my lifetime, and maybe avoided some very meaningful friendships because of that.

Examples are smoking, drinking, not attending church, and using profanity. These are the things that I held as most important as signs of a person who was not doing the right thing, when I was young, IMO, and some of which I carried into my adulthood. Today smoking is the only one that I can't seem to get past the prejudice stage, though I can rationalize that one now, because it is the 'in' thing to demonize smoking; in my mind at least, I can justify it.

- I beleive that there are some people in the world who take on issues, likely at some point that they really believe in, but get talked into becoming extremists, and they are doing real harm to others. Terrorists, governments that infiltrate other countries, and help start rebellions and insurrections. The USSR was famous for that, when it was booming. The USA has done that and still is in many of the world's hot spots. Some of these have been 'outed' in the media, while many still remain top secret, but I know it goes on, or let's say I believe it goes on, and I also believe that in some of these cases the people doing this type of work really think it is for the greater cause, such as getting rid of Gaddafi, and Hussein. I just think these people could have been eliminated, or at least put out of power, in other ways than taking so many innocent lives to do it.

- I believe there are very good, kind people in all parts of the world, and there are also people who, through various circumstances in their lives, have become dangerous to themselves and to others. I believe that no one is born bad, though some are born with certain conditions in their brains, which make it very hard for them to live a "normal" life.

I believe that I should stop post.
Imhotep

Saint Petersburg, FL

#71413 Apr 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
John is a massive tw*t.
The godless world rolls on oblivious to his lack of consent.
<quoted text>
He thrives on attention like a little child
I refuse to pander to his Advanced narcissism

I find those that actually respond to him amusing in the extreme.

"The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance...logic can be happily tossed out the window." ~Stephen King

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#71414 Apr 18, 2013
I apologize for posting the same post twice. My computer was telling me that the first one had not been sent.
Lincoln

United States

#71415 Apr 18, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
He thrives on attention like a little child
I refuse to pander to his Advanced narcissism
I find those that actually respond to him amusing in the extreme.
"The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance...logic can be happily tossed out the window." ~Stephen King
Northing regarding atheism
but Stephen King sold out a long time ago.
Prefer Charles Dickens

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#71416 Apr 18, 2013
boooots wrote:
I apologize for posting the same post twice. My computer was telling me that the first one had not been sent.
sometimes the longer posts take a while. no worries, double posts disappear shortly...

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#71417 Apr 18, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Northing regarding atheism
but Stephen King sold out a long time ago.
Prefer Charles Dickens
how did King 'sell out'?
Imhotep

Saint Petersburg, FL

#71418 Apr 18, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>how did King 'sell out'?
He sold out many many books most of which became movies

King has made millions off his very vivid imagination

I've enjoyed most of his material

Err. Your quote for the day ;)

“The Bible is not the verbally inspired, inerrant word of God; it is just a collection of contradictory, discrepant books that were written by superstitious ethnocentrics who thought that the hand of God was directing the destiny of the Hebrew people.”~Farrell Till (former minister and missionary for the Church of Christ)

Take us out Kurt

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile." ~Kurt Vonnegut

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#71419 Apr 18, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
He sold out many many books most of which became movies
King has made millions off his very vivid imagination
I've enjoyed most of his material
Err. Your quote for the day ;)
“The Bible is not the verbally inspired, inerrant word of God; it is just a collection of contradictory, discrepant books that were written by superstitious ethnocentrics who thought that the hand of God was directing the destiny of the Hebrew people.”~Farrell Till (former minister and missionary for the Church of Christ)
Take us out Kurt
"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile." ~Kurt Vonnegut
I have found that some of the movies did not do justice to his books. He has been one of my favorite writers though I haven't read any recently.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#71420 Apr 18, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
He sold out many many books most of which became movies
King has made millions off his very vivid imagination
I've enjoyed most of his material
Err. Your quote for the day ;)
“The Bible is not the verbally inspired, inerrant word of God; it is just a collection of contradictory, discrepant books that were written by superstitious ethnocentrics who thought that the hand of God was directing the destiny of the Hebrew people.”~Farrell Till (former minister and missionary for the Church of Christ)
Take us out Kurt
"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile." ~Kurt Vonnegut
is making movies selling out? is making money off your talent selling out?

i'm not clear on this terminology...
Imhotep

Saint Petersburg, FL

#71421 Apr 18, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>is making movies selling out? is making money off
your talent selling out?
i'm not clear on this terminology...
No I don't think he sold out !
that was a play on words ;)

You and I should be so lucky as to have "sold out " Like Stephen $$$$$$$$$$

Did they say money can't buy happiness?
I've always maintained it can rented indefinitely.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#71422 Apr 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
If I had some way of defaulting on paying maybe I would visit.
I wouldn't give those child abusers a penny.
<quoted text>
Wasn't one of the backers arrested for tax fraud?

In direct violation of his Jesus' command to >>pay<< taxes (render unto Caesar's what is Caesar's)...

... hypocrites, the whole lot.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#71423 Apr 18, 2013
boooots wrote:
I apologize for posting the same post twice. My computer was telling me that the first one had not been sent.
Topix will do that, and then? In an instant, the duplicate vanishes.

Blame it on Al Gore, if you like.

:D

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#71424 Apr 18, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
No I don't think he sold out !
that was a play on words ;)
You and I should be so lucky as to have "sold out " Like Stephen $$$$$$$$$$
Did they say money can't buy happiness?
I've always maintained it can rented indefinitely.
Indeed... money can also buy you quite a number of temporary friends... who will loyally stick around until the last of the money is spent, too.

:D

Money can also buy you a Government-- that is, if you have sufficient piles of the stuff.

For proof, I submit the entire Republican Party, and Most of the Democratic party, in the USA.

;)
Lincoln

United States

#71425 Apr 18, 2013
Had the Day off with pay, to watch President Obama at interfaith ceremony.
Very moving.
Proud to an American
John

United States

#71426 Apr 18, 2013
@ Booots- While your post may be heartfelt the obvious antitheism in this forum is where you should be directing your message. You don't believe. End forum.

What do you believe?(origin) Just what the heck are you marching for?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 1 min Toxic Repub Toxins 6,758
News James Comey fired as FBI director 2 min Erl 3,873
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 min RussianrepubliCONS 274,321
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 min NotSoDivineMsM 241,545
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Grey Ghost 1,548,054
News Hundreds Of Scientists Urge Trump To Pull Out O... 5 min Trump is a joke 767
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 5 min RiccardoFire 6,802
News Dems say they'll slow Senate work over secretiv... 49 min Red Crosse 191
News POLL: Americans Trust James Comey Over Trump 59 min Trumpsajoke 489
More from around the web