Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70645 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66191 Dec 21, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is why we require more than one person to investigate and attempt to interpret. often, there are several different interpretations produced by different people and the question becomes how to test between them. Without a method of testing, the question can remain open for decades until new technology allows better tests.
Just another way of saying science has no truths. At any given time, it has verified but inferential knowledge, grounded on unverifiable assumptions.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#66192 Dec 21, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Just another way of saying science has no truths. At any given time, it has verified but inferential knowledge, grounded on unverifiable assumptions.
So, admitting there are not truths is worse than pretending you have truths when truths don't exist. You prefer lying to honesty.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66193 Dec 21, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So, admitting there are not truths is worse than pretending you have truths when truths don't exist. You prefer lying to honesty.
I've challenged your truths which you perceive as lying. Now why would I be lying if you concede there are no truths?
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#66194 Dec 21, 2012
How is that intolerance?

I've had a death threat on Topix and threats of bodily harm.
Who from?
US believers, and muslims of many countries.

Now that's intolerance.

At least you lot don't get to burn so many witches these days.
postscriptt wrote:
Last but not least:
Kittenkoder: "As it should be, based on reality instead of myths."
Some random dude: "Anybody that would argue that gravity is not a force is arguing pure semantics. I would have a hard time wasting my intellectual energy on them."
Thinking: "Stupid cults like you believe any old bollocks."
etc. etc. etc.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#66195 Dec 21, 2012
Some people value believing in anything over what is right.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#66196 Dec 21, 2012
Who says there are no truths?
I just don't know of any *exclusively* religious truths.
And neither do you.
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
I've challenged your truths which you perceive as lying. Now why would I be lying if you concede there are no truths?
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66197 Dec 21, 2012
Thinking wrote:
How is that intolerance?
I've had a death threat on Topix and threats of bodily harm.
Who from?
US believers, and muslims of many countries.
Now that's intolerance.
At least you lot don't get to burn so many witches these days.
<quoted text>
Would those threats have anything to do with your intolerance? If we all believed in an eye for an eye as you seem to, the world would be rendered blind.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66198 Dec 21, 2012
Thinking wrote:
Who says there are no truths?
I just don't know of any *exclusively* religious truths.
And neither do you.
<quoted text>
The ten commandments. Would you consider them to be truths?

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#66199 Dec 21, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
I said "atheists' not you specifically
So you made a mistake by implying *all* atheists, and you should have said "some atheists" instead.
postscriptt wrote:
and here's my evidence that atheists are intolerant of religious speculation.
Skeptic: "You Creationists are so rubbish at basic research, no wonder nobody belies you useless liars."
Skeptic isn't talking about "religious speculation". He's talking about the inability of so many creationists to do basic *scientific* research.
postscriptt wrote:
Givemeliberty: "Catholics don't see Muhammad, Muslims do not see Jesus, Protestants don't see mother Mary and retards like you don't see reason."
Nothing there about "religious speculation" either. Just Givemeliberty pointing out how each religion rejects the religious beliefs of other religions.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#66200 Dec 21, 2012
Where do I espouse violence?

Yet believers often consign others to their imaginary hell or threaten personal harm.

As I said, the latter only seems to come from muslims or US believers.

Considering the recent events in Newtown, CT, perhaps you should dwell on this point.
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Would those threats have anything to do with your intolerance? If we all believed in an eye for an eye as you seem to, the world would be rendered blind.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#66201 Dec 21, 2012
No. They're orders.

A truth is something more like Newton's F=ma.
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66202 Dec 21, 2012
Thinking wrote:
No. They're orders.
A truth is something more like Newton's F=ma.
<quoted text>
Which idea would have more of an impact on your life personally? Newton's idea of gravity or an idea as old as dirt that forms the basis of many ethical systems around which societies have been built? Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Explain why.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#66203 Dec 21, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Honesty is not the same as "a truth." Now you are playing semantics, and not very well. A fact is not "a truth" and "the truth" is also not "a truth." You know this, unless you were using language you know nothing about, in which case you are bringing a spork to a gunfight.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66204 Dec 21, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
So you made a mistake by implying *all* atheists, and you should have said "some atheists" instead.
<quoted text>
Skeptic isn't talking about "religious speculation". He's talking about the inability of so many creationists to do basic *scientific* research.
<quoted text>
Nothing there about "religious speculation" either. Just Givemeliberty pointing out how each religion rejects the religious beliefs of other religions.
I said all atheists for a reason. Your suggestion that I made a mistake is your opinion, but it was not my intention. It was a set up and you fell for it.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#66205 Dec 21, 2012
Gravity is unrelenting. Ethical systems change.
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Which idea would have more of an impact on your life personally? Newton's idea of gravity or an idea as old as dirt that forms the basis of many ethical systems around which societies have been built? Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Explain why.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66206 Dec 21, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Honesty is not the same as "a truth." Now you are playing semantics, and not very well. A fact is not "a truth" and "the truth" is also not "a truth." You know this, unless you were using language you know nothing about, in which case you are bringing a spork to a gunfight.
What is honesty if not marked by truth? Again, if you concede that there are no truths, you cannot claim someone is lying.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#66207 Dec 21, 2012
You are honestly so low functioning that you would ask atheists that? Seriously?

The ones about don't kill steal or commit false witness we will keep but the believe in one God nonsense? Are you for real this stupid?

Seriously are you this ignorant?
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#66208 Dec 21, 2012
Do unto others is not in the Ten Commandments. Wow you can't even get that right.

You are making such a jackass out of yourself now even your fellow believers are cringing. Time to change screen names again half wit?
postscriptt wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain why.
postscriptt

Albuquerque, NM

#66209 Dec 21, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Do unto others is not in the Ten Commandments. Wow you can't even get that right.
You are making such a jackass out of yourself now even your fellow believers are cringing. Time to change screen names again half wit?
<quoted text>
Did I say it was? Reread my post. That's your problem. You can read but you don't comprehend what your read. Instead you jump to conclusions.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#66210 Dec 21, 2012
postscriptt wrote:
I said all atheists for a reason.
In your previous posting, you said "I said 'atheists' not you specifically".

If you did in fact mean "all atheists", then your claim must apply to me, since I'm an atheist. So you've just contradicted yourself.
postscriptt wrote:
It was a set up and you fell for it.
Nope, it was just a sloppy claim on your part, and you got caught.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News President Trump touts new plan for victory in A... 3 min bottlecap 6
News Collins unsure if Trump will be 2020 GOP nominee 3 min Budget Bomb 4
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Incognito4Ever 1,582,647
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 min Trump Lies 287,788
News Dear Trump Voters: The 1950's Aren't Coming Back 5 min Katrina 1,517
News Police: Suspect who drove over protesters at Vi... 7 min Trump_Is_Fake 172
News Arpaio pardon would refute key theme in immigra... 12 min Trump_Is_Fake 42
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 28 min FCVK THE SNOWFLAKES 26,883
More from around the web