Minnesota Senate votes to put gay-marriage ban to popular vote, change state constitution

The Minnesota Senate on Wednesday approved a statewide vote in 2012 on a gay marriage ban in the state constitution, pushing forward what's expected to be a contentious debate over the definition of legal unions. Full Story

“REUNITE GONDWANALAND!”

Since: Jun 08

Woodbury

#148 May 12, 2011
exed wrote:
<quoted text>
...only if your real motive is to attack people's religious beliefs rather than accept a civil solution. I'd be interested in knowing why you seem to think civil unions are unacceptable or inadequate.
See Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka Kansas if you want to know why "separate but equal" is unacceptable.
wtf

Minneapolis, MN

#149 May 12, 2011
Sgt Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a short list of churchs that provide marriage equality for same sex couples, why are you infringing on their religious freedom?
United Church of Christ
American Baptist Churches – Southwestern Region
Episcopal Church - voted to give bishops the option to bless same-sex unions
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
Reform and Reconstructionist Jewish
Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations
Quakers
Metropolitan Community Church
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
United Methodist Church

The list just keeps growing.
tom

Owatonna, MN

#150 May 12, 2011
Beef wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, Bruce, you have to get there on your own dime! I know it's hard for the give me mentality of your ilk to grasp that everything is not free!! Pooptopia is optional, and if you choose to move there, you can do whatver you want! Even write your own constitution that {actually} contains an amendment making poopsticking A-OK!!!!!!!!
You fascist make conservative people like me sick...No wonder we REAL conservatives left the GOP and vote Libertarian and Constitution party now.
Bruce

Minneapolis, MN

#151 May 12, 2011
BabyRayRay wrote:
I will be voting yes, yes to the beginning of the end of the perversion of our society. Being homosexual is not natural and should not have mainstream acceptance. Can anyone identify a biological cause of homosexuality?
Can anyone identify a biological cause of heterosexuality?
exed

Osceola, WI

#152 May 12, 2011
Frank Stanton wrote:
<quoted text>
Because of twO reasons.
1. Because the courts have ALREADY RULED that "civil unions" are NOT "marriages". For instance, all the benefits that a "married" couple gets, such as being able to file joint tax returns, getting a lower rate on insurance, living togther on a military base, are NOT available to people in "civil unions" because the courts say that are NOT equal institutions.
2. If a gay couple marries in their church, and a str8 couple gets married in the same church, WHY should they be treated differntly under the law, if their religious leaders say their marriages ARE EQUAL ?
Now please answer those questions, and answer me this: "EXACTLY HOW does a gay marrgae harm you ?" Give real examples.
And if you insist that marriage comes from God, then should people who PUBLICLY PROCLAIM their disbelief in God, such as Buddhists and Hindus, be forbidden to marry ? Aren't they an affront to God since they proudly say they don't believe in Him and then marry ?
1. It sounds like we need a constitutional amendment to establish full rights for those in civil unions. We don't need to change marriage that has evolved from antiquity and been established in virtually every religion.
2. There have been a lot of articles in the news about how membership in old line churches has been plummeting. That seems to correspond to acceptance of gay marriage, although I'm not saying that's the only reason. I wasn't aware that Buddhists and Hindus didn't believe in a god. It's hard to imagine a religion without a god of some sort.
Whether gay marriage would harm me is not the issue. I do believe it weakens an institution vital to civilized society. Marriage as it has evolved protects the family unit. That's probably why so many people fight so hard to keep it from being weakened further.
Bob

Hastings, MN

#153 May 12, 2011
Imprtnrd wrote:
<quoted text>amazing as in...20% of the population voted type thing? ROTFL!
Which is fine because 80% of whatever turnout their is will vote for the ban, you can be sure of that.

So laugh away.

“Ahhhh hee ahw”

Since: Aug 09

Twin Cities

#154 May 12, 2011
tom wrote:
<quoted text>
You fascist make conservative people like me sick...No wonder we REAL conservatives left the GOP and vote Libertarian and Constitution party now.
You conservative? The only position I have ever seen you take that could be considered 'conservative' is support of gun rights. And you never seem to answer me: Would Hitler be proud?

Since: Dec 08

Saint Paul, MN

#155 May 12, 2011
Great news, although I find it odd that we should have to legislate and vote on what should be common sense. Nevertheless this is a step in the right direction. God Bless America!

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#156 May 12, 2011
Bruce wrote:
<quoted text>
Science has data suggesting it is linked to stress of the mother as a precursor for elevated levels of the hormone androgen during development in the womb.
tom

Owatonna, MN

#157 May 12, 2011
sock wrote:
<quoted text>
You conservative? The only position I have ever seen you take that could be considered 'conservative' is support of gun rights. And you never seem to answer me: Would Hitler be proud?
Oh so me saying that government should stay out of peoples love life and personal relations is not conservative??? Or me saying that all people are create equal and should have same and equal rights and freedoms is not conservative????

You want the government to tell people who they can marry......That sounds like Hitler.....Sorry but you just opened up yourself for that one.
Bob

Hastings, MN

#158 May 12, 2011
Bruce wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, no need to identify a cause of something that is at the root and instinctive in everyone of us.
wat

Downingtown, PA

#159 May 12, 2011
Oh look another highly undemocratic bill being put up by fascist Republicans. Remind me again how the GOP is supposedly against government interference in our lives yet supports this.
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#160 May 12, 2011
exed wrote:
<quoted text>
1. It sounds like we need a constitutional amendment to establish full rights for those in civil unions. We don't need to change marriage that has evolved from antiquity and been established in virtually every religion.
2. There have been a lot of articles in the news about how membership in old line churches has been plummeting. That seems to correspond to acceptance of gay marriage, although I'm not saying that's the only reason. I wasn't aware that Buddhists and Hindus didn't believe in a god. It's hard to imagine a religion without a god of some sort.
Whether gay marriage would harm me is not the issue. I do believe it weakens an institution vital to civilized society. Marriage as it has evolved protects the family unit. That's probably why so many people fight so hard to keep it from being weakened further.
I don't think you're being logical and I think you are comletely ignoring many of the protections of the U.S. Constitution that were written SPECIFICALLY TO PROTECT THE LIBERTIES that Americans have a RIGHT to.
Qina

River Falls, WI

#161 May 12, 2011
Zagreos Phoenix wrote:
<quoted text>
Science has data suggesting it is linked to stress of the mother as a precursor for elevated levels of the hormone androgen during development in the womb.
Which science is that?
Jimbo

Minneapolis, MN

#162 May 12, 2011
This is Wonderful! Now lets get the Voter ID bill passed too.

“Ahhhh hee ahw”

Since: Aug 09

Twin Cities

#163 May 12, 2011
tom wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh so me saying that government should stay out of peoples love life and personal relations is not conservative??? Or me saying that all people are create equal and should have same and equal rights and freedoms is not conservative????
You want the government to tell people who they can marry......That sounds like Hitler.....Sorry but you just opened up yourself for that one.
I'm saying based on the posts I've seen, you are no conservative. On one single issue you are aligned with the conservative position. Perhaps you want people to think you are conservative because you have abused the terms fascist, nazi, and Hitler to such a degree that people believe you can't formulate a logical argument and inevitably devolve to argumentum ad hitlerum. Nobody is thinking to themselves" "hey, that tom guy sure is obnoxious, calling people fascists and nazi's. What a rude CONSERVATIVE". You have so abused your own credibility that you see an advantage in falsely tacking the conservative label on yourself in a pathetic attempt to discredit conservatives. Nobody buys it tom

tell me i'm wrong tom. Which other conservative opinions, other than gun rights, do you support?

JTY

Since: Sep 08

Lincoln, NE

#164 May 12, 2011
exed wrote:
<quoted text>
Churches are free to bless same-sex couples or not. I just don't understand why some people, a small minority apparently, want the government to step in and force everyone to accept same sex unions as the equivalent of the long-established marriage sacrement. It's a shame it's come to this, but only a constitutional ammendment can prevent it.
Do you understand how separation of church and state works? Marriage is a state contract that currently only same sex couples my enter into. The ceremony held in the church is none-legally binding unless it is accompanied by a state marriage certificate. Allowing same sex couple to obtain a state marriage certificate will no effect the church portion one bit. Your church can still choose to not administer or bless same sex unions.
Equal

AOL

#165 May 12, 2011
exed wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps church attendance in some of the old style churches is because they teach hate and discrimination and call it love. Many are realizing prejudice and bigotry have no place in a Christian church.

You appear to be operating under the widely promoted false belief that marriage has always been one man and woman, ignoring that gay people have been getting married as far back as 4000 years ago in ancient Egypt, in China, Native American populations, Europe before Christianity, and even during Christianity from the 4th through 14th centuries. As previously pointed out, denial of marriage equality prevents the many churches others have listed from exercising their religious beliefs as they see fit, while allowing marriage equality does not require any church to marry anyone they don't like. Freedom is restricted by this bill, not expanded.
Equal

AOL

#166 May 12, 2011
sock wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm saying based on the posts I've seen, you are no conservative. On one single issue you are aligned with the conservative position. Perhaps you want people to think you are conservative because you have abused the terms fascist, nazi, and Hitler to such a degree that people believe you can't formulate a logical argument and inevitably devolve to argumentum ad hitlerum. Nobody is thinking to themselves" "hey, that tom guy sure is obnoxious, calling people fascists and nazi's. What a rude CONSERVATIVE". You have so abused your own credibility that you see an advantage in falsely tacking the conservative label on yourself in a pathetic attempt to discredit conservatives. Nobody buys it tom
tell me i'm wrong tom. Which other conservative opinions, other than gun rights, do you support?
"The conservative movement, to which I subscribe, has as one of its basic tenets the belief that government should stay out of people’s private lives. Government governs best when it governs least - and stays out of the impossible task of legislating morality. But legislating someone’s version of morality is exactly what we do by perpetuating discrimination against gays." (WW 2 vet, former AZ Senator and Republican Presidential candidate Barry Goldwater, 1993) Prejudice and discrimination are not conservative values, nor are they liberal or even American values, even though still often reflected in laws, policies, and expressed opinions of many Americans.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#167 May 12, 2011
Qina wrote:
<quoted text>
Which science is that?
I'll give you one link

http://www.bu.edu/thenerve/archives/spring-20...

you can google "androgen related to homosexuality" and see all the other studies for yourself, I suggest searching for it within the past year. You can change the settings on the left by clicking on "more search tools" when the initial results come up.

it's not absolutely certain this is the cause but there are studies to suggest it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 min SobieskiSavedEurope 134,375
Republican Leader: Keystone Pipeline to Top Sen... 8 min Dajokerman 49
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 9 min red and right 294,835
Obama: Keystone benefits for U.S. consumers, wo... 10 min Dajokerman 81
New Congress may move swiftly to raise H-1B cap 15 min wild child 4
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 15 min Guru 182,171
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 17 min Calvin_Coolish 165,542
"The Interview" Opens to Sold-Out Crowds 1 hr Hooogle It 12
Thousands attend 8-hour wake for slain NYC officer 2 hr Jeff Brightone 12
Official: US eyes dozens of Gitmo transfers 2 hr SirPrize 7
More from around the web