Minnesota Senate votes to put gay-mar...

Minnesota Senate votes to put gay-marriage ban to popular vote, change state constitution

There are 258 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 11, 2011, titled Minnesota Senate votes to put gay-marriage ban to popular vote, change state constitution. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

The Minnesota Senate on Wednesday approved a statewide vote in 2012 on a gay marriage ban in the state constitution, pushing forward what's expected to be a contentious debate over the definition of legal unions.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 13
Next Last
yeah sure

Burnsville, MN

#1 May 11, 2011
This going to be great! The voter turnout will be amazing. I know I'll be voting.
Rene Arbogast

Saint Paul, MN

#2 May 11, 2011
It is an abomination that the good people of this good state of Minnesota have to vote to end the perversion of all that is holy and pure. The people who are performing homosexual acts have been either trying to turn their lives around and stop hurting themselves, their families and society or they try to normalize their behaviors. These sick demented individuals who know their evil deeds are destroying them need our help, not enabeling. Protect our children and those who are engaging in these perverted behaviors or God will and all will be held accountable.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#3 May 12, 2011
Minnesota has been one of the country's most liberl stes for a very long time.

People's RIGHTS should NOT be put up to a pupular vote. That is one of the reasons for having a state constitution to begin with.

How are the liberals and Obamaniac®'s going to spin this ?
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#5 May 12, 2011
Whatever wrote:
Oh, fabulous!
Thith ith jutht great newth!!
I can't wait to swish all the way to the pollth to vote for thith bill!
A professional typist, you're not.
jabberwocky

Chicago, IL

#6 May 12, 2011
We can't vote on public funding for a Viking stadium but we can vote on this. This is pure manipulation by the republicans.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
NUTSTOU

Minneapolis, MN

#7 May 12, 2011
The fruit bat Republican Party of Minnesota, has found yet another way to shoot itself in the foot. It is about jobs and the economy STUPID. These nut jobs running this party find a zillion ways to alienate independent voters. Next they will propose a vote to penalize nose pickers!
dan

Minneapolis, MN

#8 May 12, 2011
Stupid!!! This is a matter of civil rights, not whether you believe in homosexuality. Things like this push to put hatred on the ballot is is why I question Republicans. I'm not gay, but I have a relative and many co-workers and neighbors that are.
The country is in two wars and part of a third,(which the Republicans started) the economy is in the crapper, jobs (good ones especially) are extremely hard to find and Republicans want to spend their time on abortion and gay rights. Great idea!!!!!!
Hating is a good idea as the world crumbles around us.
I will love my daughter if she is gay or straight. Just like I love all human beings.
How can you believe in stopping abortion if you can't even love a percentage of people that are born?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#9 May 12, 2011
Rene Arbogast wrote:
It is an abomination that the good people of this good state of Minnesota have to vote to end the perversion of all that is holy and pure. The people who are performing homosexual acts have been either trying to turn their lives around and stop hurting themselves, their families and society or they try to normalize their behaviors. These sick demented individuals who know their evil deeds are destroying them need our help, not enabeling. Protect our children and those who are engaging in these perverted behaviors or God will and all will be held accountable.
Marriage is a perverted behavior?

Really?
dan

Minneapolis, MN

#10 May 12, 2011
Rene Arbogast wrote:
Wow!!! This hatred of others is why I don't attend church. Too many hypocrites. What about love thy neighbor? Wait, only if they fit your sick idea of who they should be? My gay neighbors, brother and friends are incredibly good people. They work hard, pay their taxes and contribute greatly to our lives. Rene, stay the hell inside and don't go out into the real world. You stay with your god and continue to hate others. Just like God does according to your beliefs.
dan

Minneapolis, MN

#11 May 12, 2011
Frank Stanton wrote:
People's RIGHTS should NOT be put up to a pupular vote. That is one of the reasons for having a state constitution to begin with.
LIBERALS? This is a Republican right wing push, not a liberal movement.
vetinwbl

Minneapolis, MN

#12 May 12, 2011
Frank Stanton wrote:
If you read the U.S Constitution you will come across these words"All MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL",try spinnin that,your religous belifs belong in the Church,Discrimination is against the LAW,so take your BIGOTED and DISCRIMINATORY BILL and go back to the CAVE
Joe the Straight Guy

Lakeville, MN

#13 May 12, 2011
We live in a world gone mad. Perhaps the Republicans should let folks vote on banning divorce. How about banning interracial marriages? I'm sure the fine folks of Minnesota would ban that too. Insanity! Some things should NOT be left up to the majority to decide.
Rob

Minneapolis, MN

#14 May 12, 2011
This is great news.
Colt

Minneapolis, MN

#15 May 12, 2011
Voting on gay marriage! But we were not allowed to vote on stadium funding. I guess that's why these political hacks we have here in Minnesota are to dumb to understand, that any and all stadium issues that involve use of tax payer money, reliant and subsidized with tax payer money, then it only makes sense to allow the tax payers to vote either Yea! or Nay! in favor of supporting or not supporting stadiums with tax payer money, at least the decision would be made by popular vote of the majority and not just a few political hacks being paid for and manipulated by special interest groups.

“"We Are All In This Together"”

Since: Nov 10

Livermore California

#16 May 12, 2011
Joe the Straight Guy wrote:
We live in a world gone mad. Perhaps the Republicans should let folks vote on banning divorce. How about banning interracial marriages? I'm sure the fine folks of Minnesota would ban that too. Insanity! Some things should NOT be left up to the majority to decide.
And don't forget these pesky women! Just who the hell thought it would be a good idea to allow them the vote anyway thir worthless! Lets also vote womens suffrage back to the stone age from whence it came! Hmmmm......who should we get next? ;)
Uhhhhhhhhhhh

Inver Grove Heights, MN

#17 May 12, 2011
jabberwocky wrote:
We can't vote on public funding for a Viking stadium but we can vote on this. This is pure manipulation by the republicans.
So what?
Uhhhhhhhhhhh

Inver Grove Heights, MN

#18 May 12, 2011
Joe the Straight Guy wrote:
You want a handful of professional politicians to make a decision that is this important to our basic foundation? If this vote turns out to be something that you personally don't agree with, there are 49 other states to move to. That is one of the great things about being an American; we have choice.
exed

Saint Croix Falls, WI

#19 May 12, 2011
If your religion defines marriage as between a man and a woman, wouldn't trying to change that be an attack on religion?

I would think there should be ways to provide fair and equal rights to gays without attacking anyone's religion.
Patriotic Pat

Winona, MN

#20 May 12, 2011
"We all have an inalienable right to the pursuit of happiness" !!

Let's put that to a popular vote !
Beef

Springfield, IL

#21 May 12, 2011
And since the Lib-Bo's don't want any type of poll security, I can vote 8 or 9 times against the scurge known as gaye marriage!!!!1

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 3 min Quivering lip Lib... 51,465
News Diagnosing Trump: Did America elect a madman? 3 min Doe 331
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Earl 1,680,460
News Leaders say Trump presidency is at odds with ML... 5 min NOBAMA 55
News Members of Haitian community react to Trump's c... 6 min Chilli J 253
News Oprah speech has Democrats buzzing about possib... 11 min Doe 419
News White House will override Obama's climate plan 11 min Patriot AKA Bozo 2,545
News Bipartisan deal would create 12-year citizenshi... 24 min CodeTalker 65
More from around the web