Atheists sue to keep 'In God We Trust...

Atheists sue to keep 'In God We Trust' off Capitol Visitor Center - Yahoo! News

There are 9495 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Jul 19, 2009, titled Atheists sue to keep 'In God We Trust' off Capitol Visitor Center - Yahoo! News. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

A California Republican congressman wants to do a little writing on the walls of Washington's newest federal building.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

wolverine

Greeley, CO

#3565 Nov 12, 2009
Nahhh....Nothing Going On Here Folks...Pay No Attention To The Man Behind The Curtain !
Bearing

Washington, DC

#3566 Nov 12, 2009
Wolverine,

My sincere condolences on your recent loss and significant illness of family members.

I know that the pain of losing those connections is often worse and longer lasting than any physical pain.

Veterans Day often clarifies that to me.
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#3567 Nov 12, 2009
Bearing wrote:
Wolverine,
My sincere condolences on your recent loss and significant illness of family members.
I know that the pain of losing those connections is often worse and longer lasting than any physical pain.
Veterans Day often clarifies that to me.
Thank You Bearing...And I Mean No Disrespect To You Either !
Bearing

Washington, DC

#3568 Nov 12, 2009
redhead62,

you wrote:
"In your world, only the atheists have all the answers? I think not."

Actually I have never said nor written anything like that.

I have seen that you often write in absolute terms about answers and about our world.

I do not have all the answers, nor so I suspect I will find all the answers.

But here is the thing. I want to have the right and the opportunity to discover the answers through honoring and searching for the truth. I have devoted my life to the effort of searching for the truth of the world around me and I also work hard at ensuring all my fellow citizens get the opportunity to do the same. One can understand and discover much about the world and about ourselves through careful research and an open mind.

I want everyone to be free to discover their own truth by whatever means they choose while remaining lawful during those endeavors. I would not fault, nor prevent, nor physically/mentally hurt anyone who tries to discover the truth.

You, on the other hand, would prefer that I and anyone else who does not prescribe exactly to your prejudicial beliefs to be tortured, both physically and emotionally, for all eternity.

redhead62......of all the kind of religious advocates out there in this country, you are the most dangerous and hideous. You wrap your dogma in a somewhat gentle, soft, seemingly polite, seemingly intelligible, soothing, and persuasive package. This kind of wrapping is often attractive to people in need. That is why your methods are ifinitely more dangerous to our constitutional freedom than any of these other posters. The other religious posters quickly show themselves to be ridiculous, ignorant, brutes.

Just because you and many other christians are "nice" does not give you the right to chip away at, nor abolsih our constitutional rights to believe, or not believe, and to discover our own truths in the manner that is fair and reasonable, and lawful.

“Science Geek”

Since: Aug 09

Cambridge, MA

#3569 Nov 12, 2009
wolverine wrote:
And Yes Folks..I Have Been A Bit Nasty Today...I Lost A Sister-inlaw Last Week To Swine Flu...Yesterday Another Sister Lost Her Baby To It...This AM My Step Father Went To The Hospital With Complications Of Pneumonia...Not Much Sleep And Cranky....If I Offended Im Sorry !
I am so sorry to hear that Wolvie, I know how hard it is. I took this year off from college to be with my Parents, my Dad has been very ill and my Mom has been carrying the burden alone for some time now. They have given me so much love and support throughout all of my life that now it is my turn. I hope your Step Father will be ok.
Bearing

Washington, DC

#3570 Nov 12, 2009
To posters Johnny Appleseed and Fair is Fair,

I really appreciated reading your recent posts...thanks!

By the way Lissa Marie.....I was heartened to see you lose your patience with some on this forum. I was beginning to think you were to smart, fair, and sweet-natured to actually be a human being;)
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#3571 Nov 12, 2009
Thanks Lissa...Now Maybe You Can See Past My Grumpiness ??...You Know...I Have Two Children Ages 14 And 11...I Love Watching Them Grow Up...And Have Always Had Good Relations With My Parents And Step Family....But As You get Older...You Start Thinking About Your Age And Health...My Mind Is Focusing On Mortality...While I Dont Fear Death At All...I Want More Answers !This May Seem Strange...My Father Died Two Years Ago...He Loved Fishing...And Spent Most Of His Days Fishing From A Boat In The Gulf Of Alaska...Well He Died Of Skin Cancer...Ironic !...But After His Death...I Was Awakened One Night And Heard...In His Voice...Very Loud..." Prepare "....That Was It!....Still Dont Know What To Make Of It....But There Has To Be A After Life !

“Science Geek”

Cambridge, MA

#3572 Nov 12, 2009
Redhead62 wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, Lissa, you are right. These "angry religious people" do not represent what Jesus came here to teach. He taught us love for our fellow sisters & brothers. We may not always agree with each other, but yelling and screaming to make your point will never win anyone over no matter what your belief system is. We are suppose to share with people the love that Jesus talks about in the Bible. There are many misguided Christians. Please don't paint us all with a broad brush. There are many more Christians out there who would give you the shirt off their back to help you.
I have never painted you with that brush, nor would I. Did you read post#3395?

“Science Geek”

Cambridge, MA

#3573 Nov 12, 2009
Redhead62 wrote:
<quoted text>
Again I ask, please Lissa, don't assume all of us Christians are like what you typically see portrayed in movies and TV. The self-rightous, fanantics, and nut jobs are always going to stand out among the crowd. You probably won't notice believers near as often because we walk a quiet walk when we truly walk with Jesus. During the 60's, there were Hippie's everywhere you looked, but did that mean the whole world was made up of Hippie's? No, but they sure got plenty of press. If you were to really get to know a truly committed Christian who follows scripture the way Jesus meant for us to, you would be surprised that overall, we are a pretty nice bunch.
Again, I would not do that. I do know many deeply religious and wonderful people of many different denominations, my Mother being one of them, my best friend another just to name a few. However,
the nuts scare me though.

“Science Geek”

Cambridge, MA

#3574 Nov 12, 2009
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
get this through your head...i want God back in america governing in the affairs of man...it's the athiest/humanists that are dictating to christians...and it's going to stop...freedom means to do what is right not do what you please...got it...?
Does that mean you would advocate harming or killing those who do not conform to "your idea" of how "God" would run this World?

Location hidden

#3575 Nov 12, 2009
Saveourplanet wrote:
<quoted text>
I actually thought Jesus taught revenge is a sin. That "eye for an eye" stuff came from the Old Testament didn't it? Am I wrong about that? I have some asbestos shoes you might want to wear when your God calls you "home"....lol
It actually says, thou shalt not an eye for an eye, vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord.

Quite a different meaning when you don't truncate to that extent.

“Science Geek”

Cambridge, MA

#3576 Nov 12, 2009
Betty Bowers wrote:
My panties got wet while watching Nixon-appointed circuit judge taking umbrage in the recitation that we are one nation "under God," it struck me that it is rather less plausible that we are in fact "one Nation" – regardless of whom we may find ourselves under.
As for this "one Nation under God" slogan, many of my brethren in the Republican party (and even some Demon-craps) have resorted to some histrionic history in support of the supposedly objectionable statement. Fortunately for us, the past has proven to be a rather malleable thing.
People have been tampering with precedent ever since Adam and Eve. Left by an irascible Lord with a relentless flair for drama to eat cockroaches and avoid the homicidal mood swings of their son Cain, the planet's first evictees took to bemoaning the monotony of Eden's perfection (and the annoyance of being interrupted by snakes every time they tried to have a conversation). But humans are more likely to burnish and perfume the past than discount its pleasures. For example, after Lot spent his first evening in exile getting drunk and having sex with his saucy daughters (Genesis 19:36), he was heard to remark, "At least Sodom's debauchery got me out of the house."
Even more resourceful than the characters who populate the Bible are those of us who keep a copy in our purse. Conservative Americans have embraced inventive revisionism with alacrity. After all, it is rather inconvenient to acknowledge that the men who forged our wonderful democracy were products of the Enlightenment and viewed the Bible with alarming skepticism. Indeed, Thomas Jefferson had the temerity to refer to that lovely leather-bound book as a "dunghill." (Oct 12, 1813 letter to John Adams.) And John Adams wrote: "This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it!" (April 19, 1817 letter to Thomas Jefferson.) Frankly, who can forgive Adams for signing the Treaty of Tripoli, which provides in Article 11 that "The Government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion"?
Faced with such unsavory facts, Christian conservatives have had no choice but to emulate the Lord and recreate the Founding Fathers in our image! Suddenly, our nation's history is imbued with Puritanical showmanship for piety that our actual ancestors were apparently too preoccupied by thinking to display. Many assume that the slogan "In God We Trust" has been stamped on coinage and courthouses since before the Liberty Bell got its unsightly crack. Not so. Our national motto is the less divisive (and decipherable) E Pluribus Unum ("out of many, one"). It was only in the aftermath of the Civil War that we decided to flaunt our distrust of people who actually lived in our country by adopting "In God We Trust." The slogan never made it's way to paper money until the 1950's cried out for a gesture to thumb our noses at the godless commies in the USSR.
This fervor to sideline an eagle and adopt a national mascot who could not only fly, but also damn people who rubbed us the wrong way, led to the insertion of the words "under God" (which is similar to being under Pat Buchanan, only not quite so hairy) into the Pledge of Allegiance during the last gasp of Christian America, known more generally as the "McCarthy Era."
In this age of instant gratification, we can't be expected to wait until so-called "time" passes to allow less energetic historians an opportunity to languidly "reflect." Being admirably proactive, we have now taken to revising our history while we are actually living it the first time.
Perhaps you should continue to amuse/play with yourself until you can find your own words. I have seen the above commentary before, without the disgusting panty comment and the other added slurs of course.

“Science Geek”

Cambridge, MA

#3578 Nov 12, 2009
Man From South Saint Paul wrote:
<quoted text>
You stupid atheist Bastard. When you and the other Bastard atheists come to the end of your days and stand before your Maker then you will find out that not only does God exist but that Hell also exists. Then you Bastards will have to give an account for your misserable and Satanic lives to Jesus who then will toss you Bastards into Hell for all eternity where you Bastards belong.
It is Stupid Atheist Bitch to you. And if heaven is filled with the likes of you I would most assuredly prefer hell :)

Paragould, AR

#3579 Nov 12, 2009
Lissa Marie wrote:
<quoted text>
Does that mean you would advocate harming or killing those who do not conform to "your idea" of how "God" would run this World?
this nation was founded on biblical principles...

“Science Geek”

Cambridge, MA

#3580 Nov 12, 2009
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text> Did They Erect Footbaths In The Whitehouse For Obamas Muslim Admin ?? I Think Not ! LOL
I thought you got over that footbath kick Wolvie. I get pedicures, does that make me a Muslim?

“Science Geek”

Cambridge, MA

#3581 Nov 12, 2009
wolverine wrote:
The Whole Point Is Atheist Will Attack Christians At Ever Chance...But Want To Preserve The Rights Of Muslims And Radicals....This Is Insane...Very Liberal Thinking....You Say Were Bad...Yet You Do The Same Things You Accuse Us Of !
I am an Atheist, have I ever attacked you?
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#3582 Nov 12, 2009
Lissa Marie wrote:
<quoted text>
I am an Atheist, have I ever attacked you?
Well...Yes...There Was That One Time...LOL...Just Kidding Lissa
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#3583 Nov 12, 2009
OK...Not All Atheist Are Trouble....Just Like Not All Christians Are Not Trouble...Does This Clarify Enough Lissa ??

“Science Geek”

Cambridge, MA

#3584 Nov 12, 2009
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
this nation was founded on biblical principles...
That is not an answer to the question asked. Would you advocate harm to those who do not agree with you? A simple yes or no would suffice.
Howie Doohan

Pittsburgh, PA

#3585 Nov 12, 2009
wolverine wrote:
<quoted text> Thank You Bearing...And I Mean No Disrespect To You Either !
Sorry for your loss Wolf!
I'm an atheist too! We're actually pretty nice <and moral> people!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News News 28 Mins Ago 'Not the America we want': Oba... 2 min An NFL Fan 419
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 min Don Barros Serrano 199,550
News Boston Globe's front page: AR-15, 'Make It Stop' 7 min An NFL Fan 591
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 10 min Uncle Tab 229,073
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 12 min Sharrp Shooter 388,456
News Hillary Clinton wavers on Second Amendment righ... 15 min Chicagoan by Birth 1,295
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 16 min who cares 13,210
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 50 min RealDave 1,396,552
More from around the web