Aurora survivor put life in the line ...

Aurora survivor put life in the line to save mother and two children.

Posted in the US News Forum

“IM A GROWN WOMAN”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#1 Jul 28, 2012
I'm quite sure you all have heard of Jarell Brooks by now. The young college student that took a bullet in the thigh shielding a mother and her two small children during one of the worst mass shootings in US history.

“IM A GROWN WOMAN”

Location hidden

#3 Jul 28, 2012
Aurora survivor, son of a pastor, put life on the line for a mom, kids 07/26/2012 1:00 AM
Jarell Brooks was raised to fear God, respect women and make good decisions.

Confident and calm, the son of a pastor, he punctuates answers with "Yes, sir" and won't let girls pick up the check, ever.

He rapped about sandboxes and swings when he was in fourth grade and wrote love songs when he was in middle school.

On the night of July 19, meeting a friend at the Century Aurora 16 theater, Jarell was standing on the cusp of manhood — 18 years old and 6 feet 4 inches tall, about to start college and a new chapter.

He noticed the young family coming up the aisle, a man and woman in their mid 20s, the woman holding the hand of a 4-year-old girl in a Spiderman cap, the man cradling an infant. All wore Batman shirts.

Jarell did not question — as others have — why parents would bring such small children to a violent midnight movie.

He thought it was nice to see a family doing something together.

Around him, moviegoers played cards to pass the time.

Jarell played a game of hangman on his Android phone.

The next time he saw the young mother, the room was filled with smoke, people were screaming and hard decisions were being made.

Their seats were near the rear of the theater, about six rows down from the projection room. When the shooting started, Jarell ducked behind the seat in front of him and made sure his friend was safe.

As he started to crawl toward the exit, he bumped into the young mother. She was clutching her children, too scared to move.

"It's just me and my two kids," she said.

Up until that moment, Jarell said, he was of singular focus, thinking only of getting himself out. Seeing the young family, it was as if he was jarred into remembering who he was raised to be.

"You never know what you're going to do in a situation," he said. "For someone to say anything about it ... Unless you are in that moment, in that crunch time, you never know what you are going to do.

"When someone is shooting, you get out," he continued. "But when I saw her, I kind of had to take a 180. You have to help this woman. You can't live with yourself knowing a family was hurt or killed."

“IM A GROWN WOMAN”

Location hidden

#4 Jul 28, 2012
KlineHilda1

San Francisco, CA

#5 Jul 28, 2012
what Brian explained I'm impressed that a stay at home mom able to earn $4483 in four weeks on the computer. have you read this website http://goo.gl/UUZFR

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News President George H.W. Bush Is in Intensive Care... 2 min demzunite42020 4
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Earl 1,746,809
News Comey speculates Russians may have damaging inf... 5 min Patriots for Trump 668
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 6 min Bear Claw 72,698
News Time to call out unpatriotic Americans 6 min trumpet4prison2020 2
Drake, Jay Z, Nas 10 min 2Cent_King_Just 5
News Liberals say immigration enforcement is racist,... 23 min Barros 394
News Clinton: Free press is under 'open assault' in ... 24 min CodeTalker 85
News 'Get on the Right Side': Shooting Survivors Dec... 1 hr southern at heart 1,588