Trayvon Martin Shooting Death Sparks ...

Trayvon Martin Shooting Death Sparks Outrage on Social Media

There are 66309 comments on the Wall Street Journal story from Mar 22, 2012, titled Trayvon Martin Shooting Death Sparks Outrage on Social Media. In it, Wall Street Journal reports that:

Social media has put the spotlight on the story Trayvon Martin , an unarmed African-American teenager who was shot to death last month by a neighborhood watch captain in Florida.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Wall Street Journal.

Patriot

Ixtepec, Mexico

#70762 Jul 23, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>"Shacking up"? You must be in the geezer age bracket.
So the father didn't actually live there. That doesn't affect his son's right to be walking there.
It sure doesn't mean a law abiding citizen that is donating his time free of charges as Neighborhood Watch Captain should not recognize a stranger acting suspiciously that just happened to look like the perps who were terrorizing the neighborhood either. AND neither should he have felt the need to stay in his damn truck either. It would be standard followup procedure by myself to attempt to keep the suspect in view to give his exact location to police.
Im quite sure had George Zimmerman called 911 when he found the family in a crashed truck that was on fire and told the operator Im going to pull these people to safety he would again be told "We don't NEED you to do that". But once again Zimmerman put his life on the line to help a fellow man and his family without hesitating to think selfishly of his own safety. That speaks volumes for the guy. I cant help but think it would've been funny had he crouched down and saw a family of blacks and told them OMG I cant help you because Ive noticed you are black and I could be ACCUSED of racially profiling you!!!!! Hahaha. Call Al the pal and Messey Jessey and send em in!
Rosie

Brooksville, FL

#70763 Jul 23, 2013
Hey guess what!! George Zimmerman is coming out with his own line of candy. They are brightly-colored, round, chewy, fruity candies. They have a 'Z' printed on each one and are called "ACQUITTLES"
Patriot

Ixtepec, Mexico

#70765 Jul 23, 2013
Rosie wrote:
Hey guess what!! George Zimmerman is coming out with his own line of candy. They are brightly-colored, round, chewy, fruity candies. They have a 'Z' printed on each one and are called "ACQUITTLES"
I love that!
Patriot

Ixtepec, Mexico

#70766 Jul 23, 2013
I don't guess he will be marketing them in chocolate or licorice hahaha!
Buffalo Bill

Pittsford, NY

#70767 Jul 23, 2013
Reese's is coming out with a new product called "Monkey's."

The're gonna come in three flavors...Classic peanut butter, chocolate,...and albino.
Thanks everyone

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#70768 Jul 23, 2013
Charles Barkely: There are a lot of black people who are racist. I don't like when it gets out there in the media because I don't think the media has clean hands.[PAR note: Indeed Charles Barkely is right, the media does not have clean hands on racial relations.

As we at Polish American Review have pointed out….many White Liberals in the media who profess sympathy for Black people would NEVER choose to live in a Black neighborhood in Newark NJ, Trenton NJ, Bronx NY, Detroit Michigan, etc. These media White Liberals are hypocrites…..which evidently Charles Barkley can see]
Thanks everyone

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#70769 Jul 23, 2013
many White Liberals in the media who profess sympathy for Black people would NEVER choose to live in a Black neighborhood in Newark NJ, Trenton NJ, Bronx NY, Detroit Michigan, etc. These media White Liberals are hypocrites…
Thanks everyone

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#70770 Jul 23, 2013
Jeantel admits Trayvon "whooped" Zimmerman's ass
Thanks everyone

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#70771 Jul 23, 2013
Larry Elder to Piers Morgan:'If Rachel Jeantel's One Smart Cookie, Why Don't You Hire Her as a Co-Host?'
Thanks everyone

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#70772 Jul 23, 2013
Harvard professor Alan Dershowitz says prosecutors of Zimmerman should be Disbarred

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#70773 Jul 23, 2013
inbred Genius wrote:
get well soon trayvon, we're all pulling for you
Not quite all, IG.

Location hidden

#70774 Jul 23, 2013
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>
Technically Trayvon was not a resident of the gated community and his right to walk around in that neighborhood is questionable. Many gated communities restrict access to non-residents.
Horse hockey.
Thanks everyone

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#70775 Jul 23, 2013
“There is another class of coloured people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs — partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.”
- Booker T. Washington
SHADOW

Canyon Lake, TX

#70776 Jul 23, 2013
Thanks everyone wrote:
“There is another class of coloured people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs — partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.”
- Booker T. Washington
You would think jesse jackson would be taking care of his little jR jackass. And all not so sharpton got his own problems yet both of these knee grows just have to stoke the fires of racism---their own.
Thanks everyone

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#70777 Jul 23, 2013
"White Privilege" of 2011. FBI statistics show that Blacks killed far more whites than Whites killed Blacks. 448 Blacks killed Whites vs 193 Whites killed Blacks. And lets not forget there are 5 times as many Whites than Blacks in the US.

Location hidden

#70778 Jul 23, 2013
Thanks everyone wrote:
- Booker T. Washington
So? Are you suggesting that white racism does not exist, and that no one should fight in behalf of its victims?

“Stuffs gettin better ”

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#70779 Jul 23, 2013
Knock, Knock

Who's there?

Not Treyvon.

Tee Hee!
JJA

Sheridan, AR

#70781 Jul 23, 2013
knock! kcock!

Guess what!
Just got my FOODSTAMPS, now I can feed my six babies by six baby daddys.
Thanks for looking out for us.

Location hidden

#70782 Jul 23, 2013
Thanks everyone wrote:
many White Liberals in the media who profess sympathy for Black people would NEVER choose to live in a Black neighborhood in Newark NJ, Trenton NJ, Bronx NY, Detroit Michigan, etc. These media White Liberals are hypocrites…
Ideally there would be no black neighborhoods, or white neighborhoods, or gay or straight neighborhoods, or ethnic or religious neighborhoods, or any other way of segregating people.
I know it won't happen anytime soon, but I hope for a time when everyone gets an even break, and we can relate to one another on a simple human basis.

By the way, I grew up in a rainbow neighborhood, with people of every color and stripe. I won't claim there were never any problems, but in retrospect, I wouldn't have had it any other way.
Imhotep

Silver Springs, FL

#70784 Jul 23, 2013
Thanks everyone wrote:
Harvard professor Alan Dershowitz says prosecutors of Zimmerman should be Disbarred
The Gallup poll confirms what many of us intuitively know: that most Americans make up their minds about cases like Trayvon Martin’s not because they have a strong opinion about how to interpret Florida’s Stand Your Ground law, but because they have a strong opinion about race in America.

And not surprisingly, those views diverge dramatically across racial lines. In a 2009 Pew poll, whites were by 31 points more likely than blacks to say the police usually treat whites and blacks equally.

A 2010 Pew poll found that while 58 percent of blacks said news coverage of blacks was too negative, 57 percent of whites said it was either fair or too positive. The divide isn’t only racial; it’s partisan too.

An analysis of the 2008 American National Election Study by John Sides at the Monkey Cage blog found that white Democrats were by 18 points more likely than white Republicans to consider blacks “intelligent” and by a whopping 29 points more likely to consider them “hardworking.”

It’s no surprise, therefore, that while more than half of Republicans told Pew last year that the media had devoted too much attention to the Martin case, only one third of white Democrats agreed. Among Democrats overall, the figure dropped to one quarter.

This is what the debate over Saturday’s verdict is really about. It’s between those black and white Democrats who believe racism remains a grave problem and those white Republicans who think political correctness is a bigger one.

It’s not just that most Republicans don’t worry much about discrimination against blacks. They’re worried about discrimination against whites.

According to a 2011 survey by the Public Religion Research Institute, almost two thirds of Tea Party supporters consider discrimination against whites as big a problem as discrimination against blacks.

People who consider Fox News their most trusted news source are almost twice as likely to consider “reverse discrimination” a “critical” issue as they are to feel that way about the old-fashioned, white-on-black kind.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/07...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 4 min Brian_G 61,487
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 8 min renee 10,386
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 9 min The Northener 209,806
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 11 min brad 243,831
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 23 min Grey Ghost 1,432,845
News Clinton blames Republican leaders for a 'paraly... 34 min payme 1,990
News News Trump on unarmed Clinton guards: 'Let's se... 44 min payme 768
News Post-debate poll: Clinton takes round one 1 hr Responsibility 194
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 3 hr Mod Squad 395,716
More from around the web