Trayvon Martin Shooting Death Sparks Outrage on Social Media

There are 20 comments on the Mar 22, 2012, Wall Street Journal story titled Trayvon Martin Shooting Death Sparks Outrage on Social Media. In it, Wall Street Journal reports that:

Social media has put the spotlight on the story Trayvon Martin , an unarmed African-American teenager who was shot to death last month by a neighborhood watch captain in Florida.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Wall Street Journal.

“Facts”

Since: May 08

Colima, Mexico

#44880 Dec 25, 2012
Sick of it wrote:
<quoted text>Yet you think a murdered innosent young black kid is fine right you KKK trash?????????? ZIMMERMAN STALKED AND HARASSED AND WHEN TRAYVON DEFENDED HIMSELF ZIMMERMAN SHOT AND KILLED POOR YOUNG TRAYVON..........FACT IS FACT KKK TRASH.....
There is no law against asking a person questions or following them........PERIOD

The punk matched the description of a burglary suspect down to the bike

Since: Apr 12

Truth's Door

#44881 Dec 25, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>I'm interested in seeing all of it. For me, it will be better than the OJ case which I just got bored with. As a CCW holder, I have more of a personal stake in this case than any other.
Then you should be much more interested in legislation making its way through the Florida senate.

In either case, it won't have a direct impact on you because you're in Ohio. This case and legislation is in Florida.

You are in Ohio, right?

At least that's what you've told us a few times.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#44882 Dec 25, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if you are under 18 and you attack or threaten to attack someone they legally can put a bullet in you....
All you need to prove is that you were in fear of bodily harm........
That is the law and you can't disprove it
lol! Son, it's your type of thinking that gets people into trouble. That's a fact.

You're just too stupid to know it....

"Texas ‘stand your ground’ shooter headed to prison
By Jason Sickles, Yahoo!| The Lookout – Wed, Jun 27, 2012

Email
Tweet
Print

A Texas man convicted of shooting and killing his unarmed neighbor during a dispute over loud music received a 40-year prison sentence on Wednesday.

Raul Rodriguez, 47, faced a minimum of five years and a maximum of life in prison. He claimed he shot schoolteacher Kelly Danaher in self-defense under Texas' version of the "stand your ground" law.

But prosecutors argued Rodriguez provoked the incident by confronting Danaher, 36, and his friends with a handgun and demanding they quiet down at a late-night birthday party in May 2010.

The Houston case captured more attention in the wake of Trayvon Martin's death in Florida. There, George Zimmerman says he was being attacked and cited the state's "stand your ground" law after shooting the unarmed teen. But prosecutors charged him with second-degree murder.

Two dozen states reportedly now allow citizens to stand their ground even outside their home. The specifics vary by state, but generally justify a person not retreating and using deadly force when a threat is perceived.

As in Florida, Texas law includes public areas, "if a person has a right to be present at a location where force is used."

But veteran attorney Andy Drumheller told Yahoo News that the Houston jury appeared to draw a line with Rodriguez leaving his home and going down the street.

"The law is not designed to create this bubble that you can carry with you everywhere you go," said Drumheller, a former prosecutor now practicing criminal defense in Houston. "The jury's verdict is a cautionary statement on the limits of this defense."

The Rodriguez case is also unique because the former firefighter was recording video during much of the ordeal.

Rodriguez, who had been calling police about the loud party, dialed 911 again as both sides shouted at each other near Danaher's dark driveway.

"Tell you what, pal, you just pulled a gun on the wrong [expletive], OK?" one of the partygoers is heard telling Rodriguez on the home video.

Seconds later the partygoer warns, "When I go in that house and I come back, don't think I won't be equal to you, baby."

Rodriguez, who told police he suspected the men were drunk, tells the 911 operator that he's scared and will defend himself, if needed.

"I don't want to do this, and it all started over them playing their music real loud … it's about to get out of hand, Sir. Please help me. "

Seconds later, he says, "I'm standing my ground here, now these people are going to try and kill me."

The video is dark when Danaher and two other men apparently lunged toward him, laughing loudly. Rodriguez fired his gun, killing Danaher and injuring two others.

In lobbying jurors for a lenient sentence, defense attorney Bill Stradley blamed the tragedy on his client's misunderstanding of the state's "stand your ground" law. Something he predicts will happen with other Texas gun owners in the future.

"And they will find themselves, like Raul Rodriguez, charged with murder," said Stradley, according to the Houston Chronicle...."
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#44883 Dec 25, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct
A jury can only find a person guilty or not guilty of the charges he was charged of
lol! If that's the advice your attorney gave you, I suggest you change attorney's son!

Truth's Door

#44884 Dec 25, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>He said he did

He told the 911 operator he did

Good enough for me

Someone about to commit a crime does not call 911

Someone not committing a crime and is being harassed does call 911

Zim called 911 and the punk did not..........
Thug Zimmerman did NOT tell the 911 operator that he identified himself to Trayvon.

No matter how you slice and dice it, you cannot get around that. EVER.

“Facts”

Colima, Mexico

#44885 Dec 25, 2012
Sick of it wrote:
<quoted text>Trayvon defended himself from Zimmermans attack....Then Zimmerman MURDERED TRAYVON.....facts bother you dont they KKK trash.
What proof do you have???

Did Zim have injuries to his hands from striking someone like the punk did??

No law against asking questions or following someone

“Facts”

Colima, Mexico

#44886 Dec 25, 2012
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! Son, we can prove Zimmerman attacked Martin.

And that's Zimmerman's BIGGEST problem!
Really

In your dreams???
Makes sense

Dearborn, MI

#44887 Dec 25, 2012
Hey the Stand Your Ground ALEC crowd and the NRA want vigilantes to guard our schools. I can't imagine anything wrong with that.(Eyes rolled.)

All the little kids wearing hoodies are DOA.

African American kids wearing hoodies won't make it past the sidewalk of the school entrance.

The NRA says all we need are some volunteers to secure our schools, just like the kind of kook that gunned down unarmed Trayvon Martin.

“Facts”

Colima, Mexico

#44888 Dec 25, 2012
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>That's why the guy in Texas got convicted of murder son. You think just like him.
Wrong again.........

That guy shot someone in the back running away

Big difference

Truth's Door

#44889 Dec 25, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>A link would be nice because I sure as hell couldn't find it on Google.
My my my.

I'll see if I have an extra Christmas gift laying around.

Give me a moment while I check.

“Facts”

Colima, Mexico

#44890 Dec 25, 2012
Sick of it wrote:
<quoted text>There was no witnesses...YOU LYING SACK OF CRAP..........Zim murdered Trayvon when Tryavon stood his ground......SIMPLE.
Ya might want to check your facts

More than one person saw the two fighting on the ground

What proof do you have that Zim attacked????

Zero.........LOL
Makes sense

Dearborn, MI

#44891 Dec 25, 2012
Only 5% of the NRA are hunters!!

The rest are paranoid schizophrenics with little pricks addicted to the rush of holding a powerful tool.

“Facts”

Colima, Mexico

#44892 Dec 25, 2012
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>Zimmerman stalked Martin after he left with a loaded weapon.

Clearly Zimmerman had intended on using that weapon.... and he did.
Now law against following someone

The punk entered private property

The punk attacked and no he is dead

If more people did the same these punks would think twice

“Facts”

Colima, Mexico

#44893 Dec 25, 2012
Be Truthful Be Free wrote:
<quoted text>No, you cannot moron.

Here is what the poster said, in case you missed it...

"Can't shoot unarmed innocent people."

He is correct. There is NO law in Florida or any other state that says you can shoot unarmed innocent people.

PERIOD.

Go open your presents because you are making a grand fool of yourself!
Read the law

If you feel threatened of death or bodily harm you may use deadly force

They don't have to have a weapon

“Facts”

Colima, Mexico

#44894 Dec 25, 2012
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! Ah! So you're of the party of the rich son?

Why don't you idiots just come out and say that during the election? Obviously, the Mitt-ster got that part right about the 47% and him not caring about them, eh?
Never voted for Mitt or either Bush

Truth's Door

#44895 Dec 25, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>A link would be nice because I sure as hell couldn't find it on Google.
That didn't take long.

Here's another Christmas present from me to you...

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2012/images/05/1...

It is the Medical Examiner's report. It is 21 pages, but the information you seek is on the second page under External Examination.

From that point, it will begin at the second sentence.

“Facts”

Colima, Mexico

#44896 Dec 25, 2012
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! Thank you son! For showing that Zimmerman went AFTER Martin with his loaded weapon!
No law says that Zim could not have the gun

No law says that Zim could not follow the punk

There is laws against entering private property and attacking someone

And the punk paid for his crime
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#44897 Dec 25, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Really
In your dreams???
There's a dead body son.

I know in your world, that doesn't count. In reality, it does!

“Facts”

Colima, Mexico

#44898 Dec 25, 2012
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! That's the question I keep asking myself about you people. The only person with a weapon was Zimmerman. And he used it after stalking Martin.

We already know all of this as being factual son.
No law against Zim having the weapon

No law against following the punk that did not answer a question
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#44899 Dec 25, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya might want to check your facts
More than one person saw the two fighting on the ground
What proof do you have that Zim attacked????
Zero.........LOL
lol! You might want to post YOUR facts son.

Now that would be a first, wouldn't it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 5 Reasons The American Dream Is Eluding Black P... 2 min coretta 579
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 2 min -Friendly Poster- 324,850
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min shinningelectr0n 1,220,892
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 min Food monitor 52,896
Can a liberal be a Christian? 14 min OccupyThis 71
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 16 min dirtclod 161,097
News Walmart Closing Five Stores For 'Plumbing Probl... 17 min Darlene 14
News Sanders announcement 'within days?' 31 min Lawrence Wolf 48
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 36 min Limbertwig 179,440
More from around the web