What Divides Catholics and Protestants?

There are 20 comments on the www.christianpost.com story from Apr 19, 2008, titled What Divides Catholics and Protestants?. In it, www.christianpost.com reports that:

As Pope Benedict XVI continues with his highly publicized visit to the United States, some may wonder what the major differences are between Catholicism and Protestantism - the two main Christian bodies in the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.christianpost.com.

Anonomous

Fairburn, GA

#82843 Sep 4, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone has something to say except Oxbow and he appears reluctant to tell us what he means by infallible.
What do you figure the odds Oxbow asks the same question three more times without telling us if infallible includes sticks turning into snakes?
So then, you're saying you don't believe the story of Moses?
Anonomous

Fairburn, GA

#82844 Sep 4, 2012
servant wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
What's the big deal? God used Moses to perform three miracles in Egypt. The egyptian priests duplicated the exact phenomenon turning a dead wooden staff into a living serpent. Proving men can summon demonic spirits who can produce phenomenon far exceeding the normal behavior of natural phenomenon. It is referred to in the NT as lying miracles, signs and wonders performed by a false prophet, which is another name for the "Anti-Christ". The difference between lying miracles and true miracles is not that a lying miracle is a fake miracle, nor slight of hand, or a trick. The lying miracle is just as real and supernaturally evoked as the true miracle. The difference between the two miracles rests upon who performed the miracle: whether it is demons or God.
Sorcery is also the use of formulas, any formulas, and even repetitious prayer. Sorcery is the human connection to the demonic spiritual world. Rome still uses and practices sorcery they learned from Egypt; which was the Chaldean Religion of Babylon. Romeís use of religion has two purposes: They use sorcery to cause things to supernaturally happen, good and evil and they use their gods (idols) and rituals to appease that inner feeling everyone experiences that causes people to seek their God. The Roman gods (the specifically named idols) were and still are simply tools to make people believe their leaders were the mediators between the ordinary people and the gods. Rome (Gentiles) has had many centuries of practice, plus thousands of years of records from Egypt to perfect their sorcery. Access to the spiritual world has always given Rome the edge over other nations; maintaining control of their empire by the use of magic, not just tricks, but real magic, which is abominable and rebellious to God.
Do you believe there is only one God? Good! Even the demons believe, and tremble!
http://www.fraticappuccini.it/new_site/images...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monstrance
1 Corinthians 10:18-22 Do I mean then that food sacrificed to an idol is anything, or that an idol is anything? No, but the sacrifices of Gentiles are offered to demons, not to God, and I do not want you to be participants with demons. You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons too; you cannot have a part in both the Lordís table and the table of demons. Are we trying to arouse the Lordís jealousy? Are we stronger than he?
Thank you. I do not know how people can claim to believe in God, yet not believe what he says. There are two powers.
Reality

Madison, WI

#82846 Sep 4, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
I kinda doubt it.
That's it Lama, meet me on the playground high noon tomorrow! You are so gonna eat them words, and I mean business mister. You bring yer god cause I will be packing the FSM.
ITB

Lansdale, PA

#82847 Sep 4, 2012
Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
God turned the staff into a snake. All Aaron did was throw the staff on the ground "and it became a snake." Since God can and did create the world and everything in it, he did not have any problem turning one thing into another. If you don't like it talk to God.
<quoted text>
If you have a monkey on your back, there are drug treatment clinics that can help you.
But, you refuse to believe that Jesus literally meant, "This is my body".... If God has no "problem turning one thing into another", then why don't you believe He can turn the bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ?

If Aaron just threw the staff on the ground and God turned it into a snake, then why can't God turn the bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ when the priest offers it up (throws it on the ground, so to speak)to Him?

Jesus didn't say, "This is a symbol of my body"...He said, "This IS my body".

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#82848 Sep 4, 2012
ITB wrote:
<quoted text>
But, you refuse to believe that Jesus literally meant, "This is my body".... If God has no "problem turning one thing into another", then why don't you believe He can turn the bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ?
If Aaron just threw the staff on the ground and God turned it into a snake, then why can't God turn the bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ when the priest offers it up (throws it on the ground, so to speak)to Him?
Sure when it comes to turning sticks into snakes they're all for it but when Jesus Christ himself says 'This is my body' they don't believe him.

The Gospel was about when Jesus went down to Capernaum and found some guy saying all kind of crazy stuff but he ends up saying 'You are truly the Lord' or something like that so Jesus casts the demons out of the guy.

Padre Francisco's sermon was pretty much along the lines of 'We are professionals, don't try this at home'.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#82849 Sep 4, 2012
Reality wrote:
<quoted text>That's it Lama, meet me on the playground high noon tomorrow! You are so gonna eat them words, and I mean business mister. You bring yer god cause I will be packing the FSM.
You better show up.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#82850 Sep 4, 2012
Anonomous wrote:
<quoted text>
So then, you're saying you don't believe the story of Moses?
Hard to say. That baby in the reed boat part is not original, that was borrowed from some other legend. And there's no evidence whatsoever that any Jews were in Egypt at the time, much less two million of them. And then theres's the thing about wandering in the desert for forty years with God guiding them with a pillar of fire by night and a pillar of clouds by day. I mean, forty years?
It doesn't sound like God is very good at directions.

So yeah, it's probably true.

“Call sign: Apache One Six”

Since: Mar 11

US 62 @ US 81

#82851 Sep 4, 2012
ITB wrote:
<quoted text>
Where was Jesus' blood and body when he said "this is my body" and "this is my blood?" Also the early church 90 AD -300AD did not believe that the bread and wine literally, actually became Jesus' body and blood.

US 62 @ US 81

#82852 Sep 4, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure when it comes to turning sticks into snakes they're all for it but when Jesus Christ himself says 'This is my body' they don't believe him....
I also don't believe that Jesus was a literal door, just because he said "I am the door..."

Christians don't let scripturally illiterate atheists, etc. who can't read a word of Hebrew or Greek dictate what the scripture "really means!"

US 62 @ US 81

#82853 Sep 4, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Hard to say. That baby in the reed boat part is not original, that was borrowed from some other legend. And there's no evidence whatsoever that any Jews were in Egypt at the time, much less two million of them. And then theres's the thing about wandering in the desert for forty years with God guiding them with a pillar of fire by night and a pillar of clouds by day. I mean, forty years?
It doesn't sound like God is very good at directions.
So yeah, it's probably true.
Since you are familiar with all those events if you had a functioning brain cell you should be able to find the answer to your questions. But like the other clowns around here all you want to do is impress everyone with your vast, or should I say half vast, debating skills.
Reality

Madison, WI

#82854 Sep 4, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
You better show up.
I will be there buddy, and its on like donky kong!
Reality

Madison, WI

#82855 Sep 4, 2012
Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you are familiar with all those events if you had a functioning brain cell you should be able to find the answer to your questions. But like the other clowns around here all you want to do is impress everyone with your vast, or should I say half vast, debating skills.
Ummmm, no he is very much spot on.... Try reading a history book Mmmmk? The bible should not be your only litiary source of information.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#82856 Sep 4, 2012
Reality wrote:
<quoted text>I will be there buddy, and its on like donky kong!
Good. I'm getting kind of tired of Whack-a-Fundie.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#82857 Sep 4, 2012
ITB wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholics cannot view the Sacred Inspired Word of God as being infallible...having no contradictions...nor errors.

Example:
Therefore I said unto the children of Israel, No soul of you shall eat blood, neither shall any stranger that sojourneth among you eat blood. For it is the life of all flesh; the blood of it is for the life thereof: therefore I said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall eat the blood of no manner of flesh: for the life of all flesh is the blood thereof: whosoever eateth it shall be cut off."

But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.

Only be sure that thou eat not the blood: for the blood is the life; and thou mayest not eat the life with the flesh.

-----

Catholic view the following as teaching the exact opposite...which shows the Bible as being fallible...contradicting itself....as being in error.

Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.

Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.

For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.

Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.

And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#82858 Sep 4, 2012
Catholic Catechism 2677:
(Praying the Hail Mary)
Pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death:

By asking Mary to pray for us, we acknowledge ourselves to be poor sinners and we address ourselves to the "Mother of Mercy," the All-Holy One. We give ourselves over to her now, in the Today of our lives. And our trust broadens further, already at the present moment, to surrender "the hour of our death" wholly to her care. May she be there as she was at her son's death on the cross. May she welcome us as our mother at the hour of our passing to lead us to her son, Jesus, in paradise.

Ac 7:59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.

Question: Why did not Stephen, at the hour of his death, not follow the RCC teaching and call upon Mary to pray for him??

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#82859 Sep 4, 2012
Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
I also don't believe that Jesus was a literal door, just because he said "I am the door..."
Christians don't let scripturally illiterate atheists, etc. who can't read a word of Hebrew or Greek dictate what the scripture "really means!"
Sure there are all kind of I am's in the New Testament though I don't think the door one is in John. Maybe He really is all those things but when He says this is the real deal it would seem you would be wanting to pay attention.
barry

Rainsville, AL

#82860 Sep 5, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
are we selling tickets? pay for view?
barry

Rainsville, AL

#82861 Sep 5, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure there are all kind of I am's in the New Testament though I don't think the door one is in John. Maybe He really is all those things but when He says this is the real deal it would seem you would be wanting to pay attention.
John 10:9
I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
Reality

Madison, WI

#82862 Sep 5, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
EAT your Wheaties.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#82863 Sep 5, 2012
barry wrote:
<quoted text>John 10:9
I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
Thank you a lot. I guess I had 'I am the good shepherd' and 'I am the door of the sheep' combined into one.

God bless you.

Speaking of doors, there is a peculiar decoration on the wall of the mission church and just yesterday I figured out what it was, an old brass tabernacle front with an arched door with a cross in the middle. It's not much to look at but pretty interesting all the same. One thing I like about my little mission church is there's no gold in the whole place except the inside of the polished aluminum or pewter chalice appears to be gold plated.

I don't deny that some of the claims of ostentation and ornamentation levied against the Catholic chruch have some merit and that's one reason I feel fortunate to have found a very simple place to worship.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 min Earthling-1 53,036
News Gay marriage foe's argument seems to leave Supr... 3 min Fa-Foxy 127
News Texas Shooting: American Freedom Defense Initia... 6 min muricah 7
Unreliable EGT/ETS testing for alcohol 6 min R fuller 2
News Ben Carson: Race Relations Have 'Gotten Worse' ... 7 min swedenforever 1,987
News Where They Stand: Ben Carson on Issues of 2016 ... 8 min Who Guessed it 4
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 8 min Quirky 326,278
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 19 min ACTUALLY 161,931
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 54 min Holy Jumpin Jesus 1,224,041
News 5 Reasons The American Dream Is Eluding Black P... 1 hr R12 Freon 1,122
News Riots in Baltimore raise questions about police... 2 hr Who 607
More from around the web