What Divides Catholics and Protestants?

What Divides Catholics and Protestants?

There are 84617 comments on the www.christianpost.com story from Apr 19, 2008, titled What Divides Catholics and Protestants?. In it, www.christianpost.com reports that:

As Pope Benedict XVI continues with his highly publicized visit to the United States, some may wonder what the major differences are between Catholicism and Protestantism - the two main Christian bodies in the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.christianpost.com.

servant

Mérida, Mexico

#82881 Sep 5, 2012
ITB wrote:
<quoted text>
But, you refuse to believe that Jesus literally meant, "This is my body".... If God has no "problem turning one thing into another", then why don't you believe He can turn the bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ?

----1 CORINTHIANS 10:17 Because there is one loaf, we, who are many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf.

----1 CORINTHIANS 5:8 Get rid of the old leaven that you may be a new batch without yeast--as you really are. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed. Therefore let us keep the Festival, not with the old leaven, the yeast of malice and wickedness, but with unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

ITB wrote:
<quoted text>
But, you refuse to believe that Jesus literally meant, "This is my body".... If God has no "problem turning one thing into another", then why don't you believe He can turn the bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ?

Because the bread or one loaf (1 Corinthians 10:17) are the body of believers in Christ, who in one accord of the doctrine of Christ (which was passed on to the Apostles) are supposed to be going from house to house daily sharing (breaking bread) their meals together in rememberance of our Passover Lamb, Jesus Christ. Atonement is over! Jesus made the final atonement for all sin on the cross; why do people complicate matters and try to crucify Him over and over ritualistically? Jesus only said,"When you break bread, when you eat together or alone, do this in remembrance of me." He definitely wasn't teaching a magic trick as the Roman Gentile church would have many believe.

---ACTS 2:42-47 Believers devoted themselves to the apostles’ doctrine and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat (meals) with gladness and singleness of heart, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

NOTE: But in this we see that eating supper together was the mainstay, the occasion, not a ritual of breaking or eating a piece of bread in a building called a church.

----HEBREWS 10:25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

---COLOSSIANS 2:16-17 Therefore let no man judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the Sabbath days: Which were a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

“Call sign: Apache One Six”

Since: Mar 11

US 62 @ US 81

#82882 Sep 5, 2012
barry wrote:
<quoted text>love that Christ like verbiage.
I'm sorry, were you offended? I do so appreciate it when people from the other side of the fence try to tell me how I as a Christian should act.
barry

Henagar, AL

#82883 Sep 5, 2012
Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, were you offended? I do so appreciate it when people from the other side of the fence try to tell me how I as a Christian should act.
you don't need to apologize to me but you might want to apologize to God.
Romans 8:29
For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son,

i just find it hard to see Christ using that verbiage.

btw i didn't realize there was a fence. i thought that when Christ died the great wall of separation was torn down.

Since: Dec 09

United States

#82884 Sep 5, 2012
barry wrote:
<quoted text>so let me guess, you spent the God given break/free time in your schedule to sit quietly and pray for those of us in need.
"...pray for those of us in need."

In need of what?
barry

Henagar, AL

#82885 Sep 5, 2012
janeebee wrote:
<quoted text>
"...pray for those of us in need."
In need of what?
why understanding, of course.
servant

Mérida, Mexico

#82886 Sep 5, 2012
barry wrote:
<quoted text>you don't need to apologize to me but you might want to apologize to God.
Romans 8:29
For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son,

i just find it hard to see Christ using that verbiage.
btw i didn't realize there was a fence. i thought that when Christ died the great wall of separation was torn down.

I know many Gentile churches today would like to make our Lord or the Prophets seem like fairies but they were real men who spoke with authority when it came down to the truth. Would you have rather seen them sing sweet lullabies when they seen their blind brothers about to follow those blind guides into the pit or would you rather them speak to them truthfully. I didn't see our Lord holding back the whip when he saw people turning his house into a den of robbers. I didn't see Jeremiah trying to impress anyone by watching his language when it concerned saving his brothers from idol worship and the pit.

---Jeremiah 8:2 And they shall spread them before the sun, and the moon, and all the host of heaven, whom they have loved, and whom they have served, and after whom they have walked, and whom they have sought, and whom they have worshipped: they shall not be gathered, nor be buried; they shall be as dung* upon the face of the earth.

How about when Paul was warning the believers about those circumcised agitators. He was saying he wish they would have just cut the whole thing off. Was Paul a law breaker because he spoke to his brothers truthfully.

---Galatians 5:12 As for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!

So, why do you show favortism by putting on the neck of your fellow brother a commandment that neither one us has been istructed to or able to keep? Are you also trying to make a good impression outwardly with your own version of the law to compel us into being circumcised?

servant

Mérida, Mexico

#82887 Sep 5, 2012
barry wrote:
<quoted text>

continuation:

In other words, what gospel or Jesus are you reading from and teaching (2 Corinthians 11:4 = Galatians 1:6-10). I hope it's the one the one you recieved from the Jewish Apostles.

servant

Mérida, Mexico

#82888 Sep 5, 2012
barry wrote:
<quoted text>

continuation:

In other words, what gospel or Jesus are you reading from and teaching (2 Corinthians 11:4 = Galatians 1:6-10). I hope it's the one you recieved from the Jewish Apostles and not those so-called ministers of righteousnes (2 Corinthians 11:13-15) today who are just trying to make a a good impression outwardly.

servant

Mérida, Mexico

#82889 Sep 5, 2012
barry wrote:
<quoted text>

And about that wall (EPHESIANS 2:13-15). It was torn down but began being put back up when Roman Gentile Empire came into Jerusalem and ransacked the city in 70 a.d. It would be a thousand years after the crucifixion or around the 10th century a.d when Rome (the Beast--Revelation 13:1-10) finally replaced the original church (Jesus and the 144,00 Jewish men started--Revelation 7, 14, 20:1-10) with their very own look-a-like church (The Mother in scarlet--Revelation 17) in an effort to unite their divided and crumbling Gentile empire for the Crusades. The Mother and her many reformed offshoots would then have 10 centuries (second thousand years--Revelation 20:7) to learn how to put a spin on the scriptures to use them to prove their own teachings (doctrines) and have all learned how to keep the remnant of Jews (Romans 11) from becoming effective at their anointed jobs of teaching the Jewish scriptures (John 4:22). So, it is the Gentiles who have put the wall back up and have become the ones in control of Jesus’ Church. The Christian Churches that exist today are the offspring of the Mother in scarlet. It is in the hands of Gentiles ( Revelation 11:2 ) not Jews! Rome has stolen the original church by force, exactly as Jesus Himself predicted 2000 years ago ( MATTHEW 11:12).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christia...

Revelation 3:9 I will make those who are of the synagogue (church) of Satan, who claim to be Jews though they are not, but are liars--I will make them come and fall down at your feet and acknowledge that I have loved you.

ITB

Philadelphia, PA

#82890 Sep 5, 2012
Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
I also don't believe that Jesus was a literal door, just because he said "I am the door..."
Christians don't let scripturally illiterate atheists, etc. who can't read a word of Hebrew or Greek dictate what the scripture "really means!"
His words were...
John 10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

He didn't say "I am a door".

He is THE door through which we are saved. That can be taken in a literal sense. But, He is in no way saying here that He is "A" door that we open, walk through & close...IOW...He is not calling Himself a door.
Jaimie

Madison, WI

#82891 Sep 5, 2012
Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
And OBTW when Jesus held up the wine and said "this is my blood" his entire audience, his disciples, were Torah observant Jews and Jews did not eat blood.
Solved the riddle did you dear, "THIS IS MY BLOOD" A bug stuck in the intoxicants a Micro organism that drowned" Tadah! a drunkin frolic now in the swarm.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#82892 Sep 5, 2012
barry wrote:
<quoted text>so let me guess, you spent the God given break/free time in your schedule to sit quietly and pray for those of us in need.
That's pretty much it. Yeah. You even got in there, though I don't know what you're in need of but God's grace. No place to sit, though.
Jaimie

Madison, WI

#82893 Sep 5, 2012
Reality wrote:
<quoted text>Ummmm, no he is very much spot on.... Try reading a history book Mmmmk? The bible should not be your only litiary source of information.
LIaaRRRR

It was not "SPOT" That went to Carmen, Dale was during drunkin durress of a traumatic Brain injury Victim.

It was "Smurf' i favored at the truck stop, although I got busted outside beggin gfor his last smoke when austrailia 'aRM" drove threw inquirieng of Crockadiles and Wingra and the Zoo, I last seen him drawing the red bridge. Their honey went in to breath me in and solo rider made his prensence of his last good by.

Really kids get my story right!
Jaimie

Madison, WI

#82894 Sep 5, 2012
Ask "SMOOTH"

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#82895 Sep 5, 2012
barry wrote:
<quoted text>why understanding, of course.
That is important. That's what we pray for ourselves.

The fundies see things slightly defferently:'Dear Lord, make them see things my way. Amen'.
ITB

Philadelphia, PA

#82896 Sep 5, 2012
Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
Where was Jesus' blood and body when he said "this is my body" and "this is my blood?" Also the early church 90 AD -300AD did not believe that the bread and wine literally, actually became Jesus' body and blood.
Do you think He was doing a Show & Tell?

Obviously, His blood & body were right there with Him.

You state...."Also the early church 90 AD -300AD did not believe that the bread and wine literally, actually became Jesus' body and blood." Do you have proof of that?

Saint Ignatius disagrees....

St. Ignatius became the third bishop of Antioch, succeeding St. Evodius, who was the immediate successor of St. Peter. He heard St. John preach when he was a boy and knew St. Polycarp, Bishop of Smyrna. Seven of his letters written to various Christian communities have been preserved. Eventually, he received the martyr's crown as he was thrown to wild beasts in the arena.

"....... They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not admit that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ, the flesh which suffered for our sins and which the Father, in His graciousness, raised from the dead."

"Letter to the Smyrnaeans", paragraph 6. circa 80-110 A.D.

St. Justin Martyr was born a pagan but converted to Christianity after studying philosophy. He was a prolific writer and many Church scholars consider him the greatest apologist or defender of the faith from the 2nd century. He was beheaded with six of his companions some time between 163 and 167 A.D.

"This food we call the Eucharist, of which no one is allowed to partake except one who believes that the things we teach are true, and has received the washing for forgiveness of sins and for rebirth, and who lives as Christ handed down to us. For we do not receive these things as common bread or common drink; but as Jesus Christ our Savior being incarnate by God's Word took flesh and blood for our salvation, so also we have been taught that the food consecrated by the Word of prayer which comes from him, from which our flesh and blood are nourished by transformation, is the flesh and blood of that incarnate Jesus."

"First Apology", Ch. 66, inter A.D. 148-155.

And so on and so forth......
Jaimie

Madison, WI

#82898 Sep 5, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
That scenario certainly has its adherents, others think astral terrestrial amino acids played a contributing role.
astral plant life and the molecules within no differnt then planet Earth, Faster growth rate when hits our atmosphere, in its home glaxy it is a docile speices, earth atmosphere creates a monsterous plant source. helaing as well, a microplant in the moss on the back of a giant black astroisd that the sun reflects light threw, all species thought GOD a lazor source, but anyway that life form has a micro-org a single micro org from the blood of the plant microorg can cure anything. It is a bug in the stem by the root to the stalk, in its blood of the bug is a micro that a single drop MICRO ML is the GODS CURE AlL.

BUT it has to be extracted after it eats dead cell, so micro chip it and track and when complete, out the bodiliy system prior to mating with your bodily cells, or who knows... message form US MILITARY in space

US 62 @ US 81

#82899 Sep 5, 2012
<QUOTE Allen Richards>I also don't believe that Jesus was a literal door, just because he said "I am the door..."

Christians don't let scripturally illiterate atheists, etc. who can't read a word of Hebrew or Greek dictate what the scripture "really means!"<end QUOTE>
ITB wrote:
<quoted text>
His words were...
John 10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
He didn't say "I am a door".
He is THE door through which we are saved. That can be taken in a literal sense. But, He is in no way saying here that He is "A" door that we open, walk through & close...IOW...He is not calling Himself a door.
Why are you telling me this? That was the point I was making. Also when Jesus said "this is my blood" and "this is my body" the bread and wine did not literally change into the body and blood of Jesus.
ITB

Philadelphia, PA

#82900 Sep 5, 2012
Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
Where was Jesus' literal blood and body when he said, "This is my body,""This is my blood?" Does anything in the text indicate that pieces of his body and drops of his blood actually actually left his body and materialized as the wine and the bread? Jesus would not and did not command his disciples to violate the OT.
Lev 3:17 It shall be a perpetual statute for your generations throughout all your dwellings, that ye eat neither fat nor blood.
Lev 7:27 Whatsoever soul it be that eateth any manner of blood, even that soul shall be cut off from his people.
Lev 17:10 And whatsoever man there be of the house of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn among you, that eateth any manner of blood; I will even set my face against that soul that eateth blood, and will cut him off from among his people.
Lev 17:12 Therefore I said unto the children of Israel, No soul of you shall eat blood, neither shall any stranger that sojourneth among you eat blood.
Lev 17:14 For it is the life of all flesh; the blood of it is for the life thereof: therefore I said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall eat the blood of no manner of flesh: for the life of all flesh is the blood thereof: whosoever eateth it shall be cut off.
Deu 12:23 Only be sure that thou eat not the blood: for the blood is the life; and thou mayest not eat the life with the flesh.
So, you only eat meat with no fat in it? You've never eaten a bloody prime rib? Do you eat lobster, shrimp, clams, crab? Do you eat pork? Have you ever eaten rabbit (in white wine, very good)?

I won't even get into all the other rules in Lev. that I'm sure you don't adhere to.

You do realize that the wine doesn't turn into actual blood, as if a vein is opened and drained into a cup? You do realize that the bread doesn't turn into flesh, as if someone takes a bite out of someone's arm and passes it around?

You do realize that your question is moronic, don't you?

US 62 @ US 81

#82901 Sep 5, 2012
ITB wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think He was doing a Show & Tell?
Obviously, His blood & body were right there with Him.
You state...."Also the early church 90 AD -300AD did not believe that the bread and wine literally, actually became Jesus' body and blood." Do you have proof of that?
Saint Ignatius disagrees....
St. Ignatius became the third bishop of Antioch, succeeding St. Evodius, who was the immediate successor of St. Peter. He heard St. John preach when he was a boy and knew St. Polycarp, Bishop of Smyrna. Seven of his letters written to various Christian communities have been preserved. Eventually, he received the martyr's crown as he was thrown to wild beasts in the arena.
"....... They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not admit that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ, the flesh which suffered for our sins and which the Father, in His graciousness, raised from the dead."
"Letter to the Smyrnaeans", paragraph 6. circa 80-110 A.D.[/QUOTE}

Here is a link to the Catholic Encyclopedia, the letter to the Smyrnaeans. What you posted above is NOT in that letter.

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0109.htm

[QUOTE]St. Justin Martyr was born a pagan but converted to Christianity after studying philosophy. He was a prolific writer and many Church scholars consider him the greatest apologist or defender of the faith from the 2nd century. He was beheaded with six of his companions some time between 163 and 167 A.D.
"This food we call the Eucharist, of which no one is allowed to partake except one who believes that the things we teach are true, and has received the washing for forgiveness of sins and for rebirth, and who lives as Christ handed down to us. For we do not receive these things as common bread or common drink; but as Jesus Christ our Savior being incarnate by God's Word took flesh and blood for our salvation, so also we have been taught that the food consecrated by the Word of prayer which comes from him, from which our flesh and blood are nourished by transformation, is the flesh and blood of that incarnate Jesus."
"First Apology", Ch. 66, inter A.D. 148-155.
And so on and so forth......
Here is the entire chapter 66 from Justin's first apology. It does not say what you claim.

Chapter 66. Of the Eucharist

And this food is called among us &#917;&#8016;&#967 ;&#945;&#961;&#953 ;&#963;&#964;&#805 5;&#945; [the Eucharist], of which no one is allowed to partake but the man who believes that the things which we teach are true, and who has been washed with the washing that is for the remission of sins, and unto regeneration, and who is so living as Christ has enjoined. For not as common bread and common drink do we receive these; but in like manner as Jesus Christ our Saviour, having been made flesh by the Word of God, had both flesh and blood for our salvation, so likewise have we been taught that the food which is blessed by the prayer of His word, and from which our blood and flesh by transmutation are nourished, is the flesh and blood of that Jesus who was made flesh. For the apostles, in the memoirs composed by them, which are called Gospels, have thus delivered unto us what was enjoined upon them; that Jesus took bread, and when He had given thanks, said, "This do in remembrance of Me, Luke 22:19 this is My body;" and that, after the same manner, having taken the cup and given thanks, He said, "This is My blood;" and gave it to them alone. Which the wicked devils have imitated in the mysteries of Mithras, commanding the same thing to be done. For, that bread and a cup of water are placed with certain incantations in the mystic rites of one who is being initiated, you either know or can learn."

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0126.htm

Do you have any more lies for me?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 3 min Yeah 391,845
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min John Galt 1,406,585
News Commentary: Hillary's speech was not good 3 min Lock Him Up 30
News Trump's past surfaces as GOP looks forward 4 min Quirky 49
News Police: Undocumented immigrant sexually assault... 9 min truth 5
News Excited by Trump, gay Republicans struggle with... 10 min Frankie Rizzo 263
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 13 min Frankie Rizzo 15,090
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 34 min dp cassie 5,787
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 36 min cable guy 233,782
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 42 min Dr Guru 219,916
More from around the web