In U.S. fight over gay marriage, both...

In U.S. fight over gay marriage, both sides gearing up for more battles

There are 1144 comments on the Reuters story from Nov 28, 2012, titled In U.S. fight over gay marriage, both sides gearing up for more battles. In it, Reuters reports that:

Scott Everhart and Jason Welker hold each other before exchanging wedding vows at a comic book retail shop in Manhattan, New York June 20, 2012.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Reuters.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#831 Dec 9, 2012
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure.
Can you admit that several federal and appellate courts have already ignored this precedent? Better yet, can you offer a valid argument defending the precedent?
You see, when a precedent is challenged, it needs to be rationally defended. Merely arguing that it is precedent is bound to fail.
now that you are, presumably done with your infantile semantics on the topic, can you offer any legitimate state interest served by denying same sex couples equal protection of the law to marry that would help defend the precedent set when Baker was DISMISSED by the US Supreme Court?
It's funny the great lengths to which you will go to avoid directly addressing the topic at hand.
brilliant, helpful, agree.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#832 Dec 9, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
not that easy...
how long have you insulted me for suggesting it is...
you need to address that dude!
as far as its binding power being subject to debate, I said that myself a LONG LONG LONG time ago...but you were to busy being cagey and ignorant!
Again, you have hounded me and insulted me for months over this, you are not getting away with just "sure".

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#833 Dec 9, 2012
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, I agree with you, but let's face reality here.......the Standing issue does give them an out if for some reason, let's say that the Conservative Justices can't convince Justice Kennedy to go in their direction......they may decide then to say that the proponents of Prop 8 never had standing, overturn the 9th's ruling and leave Judge Walker's ruling in place........at this point whatever we think, is just speculation......we will have to wait and see what happens, but I do have faith in Olson and. Boies being able to win in our favor.......and I do have a little faith in SCOTUS when it comes to ruling in favor of individual rights.......but I am also realistically cautio. us that it could go against us........hopefully, I'll have a happy celebration in June!!!
Of course, if that were the case, why hear arguments, as passing on the case would yield the same result?

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#834 Dec 9, 2012
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
There is also the simple matter that since the US Constitution does not delegate the authority to regulate marriage that the federal congress lacked the authority to pass the DOMA, and violated the 10th Amendment guarantee that powers not delegated to the federal government or prohibited to the states are reserved for the states in doing so.
There are so many reason the DOMA should go away.
I do think Congress can find a way to enact a Federal Standard for marriage short of a Constitutional Amendment. I just don't think DOMA was the right way.

I'd like to see a law that applies F. F. & C. to marriage as a Federal Standard for marriage.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#835 Dec 9, 2012
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, if that were the case, why hear arguments, as passing on the case would yield the same result?
I don't have an answer for ya, I'm just telling what I my opinion is based on what I have read.....now, we can argue the point from now until their ruling in June, but it won't change the fact that the Standing issue can be an easy out for them.......and yes, it would have been just as easier to deny the appeal, but regardless of why the question was asked, it is now out there and the proponents better be prepared to answer it with something more convincing than what they gave to the CSSC and the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals!!!

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

#838 Dec 9, 2012
DNF wrote:
I do think Congress can find a way to enact a Federal Standard for marriage short of a Constitutional Amendment. I just don't think DOMA was the right way.
I'd like to see a law that applies F. F. & C. to marriage as a Federal Standard for marriage.
Actually, I am not so certain they legally can create such a federal standard, as congress is not delegated the authority to regulate marriage within the constitution, and the 10th Amendment states "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Ultimately, I don't think we require much on the federal level. Both Article IV, Section 2 and the 14th Amendment clearly ensure equal protection of the laws; and Article IV Section 1 addresses full faith and credit.

Ultimately laws barring gay marriage will be struck down, because they serve no legitimate state purpose, and allowing same sex couples equal protection of the law to marry has no impact upon traditional marriages whether existing or yet to be performed. In fact, allowing marriage equality has no impact upon anyone who would not enter into a same sex union. There simply is no rational reason to unconstitutionally deny equal protection.
He is Coming Soon

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#839 Dec 9, 2012

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#840 Dec 9, 2012
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't disagree. However, there is only so far one can rationalize their position before it simply becomes blatant judicial activism (ahem, justice Scalia).
Activism is in the eye of the beholder; i.e., the losing side.

Tawas City, Michigan

#841 Dec 9, 2012
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
I, too, have often thought that Supreme Court hearings were just a good show. We have in hand at least one case, however, where Chief Justice Roberts changed his position as deliberations moved forward. I don't think changes happen often, but perhaps its worth all the hoopla for the few occasions that it does.
Actually I think it's the arguments of the other justices who can sway the opinion of another.

On the issue of gay rights, I'd say there are 3 solid "no" votes who can't be persuaded even if a burning bush told them otherwise- Scalia, Thomas, & Alito. Just as there are 4 solid "yes" votes- Kagan, Sotomayor, Ginsburg, & Breyer.

It's Kennedy & Roberts who hold the keys to a 5-4 or even 6-3 decision one way or the other.

Tawas City, Michigan

#842 Dec 9, 2012
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
both cases could be decided upon standing alone, however I doubt the high court would take either case only to throw it out on the basis of standing.
Agreed. The standing issue was a way for the liberals to prevent a ruling on the merits on Prop 8, and for the conservatives to prevent a ruling on the merits on DOMA. It's just a side issue to the main show.

Tawas City, Michigan

#843 Dec 9, 2012
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Because it could have been the 4 conservative who voted to accept Prop 8 hoping to convince Kennedy to uphold it, and the liberals added the standing issue in hopes of convincing Kennedy the other way.

Ditto but just the opposite for the DOMA case.
ALICIA BANKS

Muncie, IN

#844 Dec 9, 2012
hobama will do nothing more for gays/latinos
as
he needs no more votes

that bankster hobama's global failures have just begun!!!

cc
wwiii
civil war ii
libya
endless wars for opium and oil and gold...
fiscal cliff dive
africom
cispa
hobamacare
jobless
homeless
layoffs
etc

shame on the blind fooled fleeced sheeple!!!!!!!

http://aliciabanks.xanga.com/769548050/select...

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#845 Dec 9, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I think it's the arguments of the other justices who can sway the opinion of another.
On the issue of gay rights, I'd say there are 3 solid "no" votes who can't be persuaded even if a burning bush told them otherwise- Scalia, Thomas, & Alito. Just as there are 4 solid "yes" votes- Kagan, Sotomayor, Ginsburg, & Breyer.
It's Kennedy & Roberts who hold the keys to a 5-4 or even 6-3 decision one way or the other.
Agreed. And it's really a shame about Thomas. Having faced harsh discrimination as a young black, he should be able to understand the parallels between black people's struggle for recognition as equals and other minorities' struggles.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#846 Dec 9, 2012
ALICIA BANKS wrote:
hobama will do nothing more for gays/latinos
as
he needs no more votes
that bankster hobama's global failures have just begun!!!
cc
wwiii
civil war ii
libya
endless wars for opium and oil and gold...
fiscal cliff dive
africom
cispa
hobamacare
jobless
homeless
layoffs
etc
shame on the blind fooled fleeced sheeple!!!!!!!
http://aliciabanks.xanga.com/769548050/select...
You spend WAY too much time listening to conservative radio programs. I suggest you study current events a bit more.

Tawas City, Michigan

#847 Dec 9, 2012
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. And it's really a shame about Thomas. Having faced harsh discrimination as a young black, he should be able to understand the parallels between black people's struggle for recognition as equals and other minorities' struggles.
Unfortunately that attitude is very prevalent among blacks, especially black males. In the recent Maryland vote, they found a small majority of black women voted for marriage equality, but a significant majority of black men were opposed. But that gender difference is present regardless of race.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#849 Dec 9, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately that attitude is very prevalent among blacks, especially black males. In the recent Maryland vote, they found a small majority of black women voted for marriage equality, but a significant majority of black men were opposed. But that gender difference is present regardless of race.
To be fair, there is nothing unusual about any minority lacking sympathy for other minorities. Irish and Italians hardly stepped in to defend Slavs and Polish, much less blacks. Jews, Muslims, and Mormons are not generally considered kindred groups.

My own feeling is that GLBT are better able to empathize with other minorities because of their experiences. That does not mean that individual members of the community do.

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

#851 Dec 9, 2012
The Worlds Biggest Lie wrote:
That's a bunch of bull$hit just like ssm. Homosexuals are some of the most racist bastards around. Ask Ernst Roehm or just type in racists homosexuals. My guess is you won't since you ignore all the other facts presented to you. After almost 5 years on topix and I haven't seen one queer agree with any that disagree. Dolt!
Perhaps that is because you've yet to come up with a rational argument against equality under the law as it pertains to same sex marriage?

Why would someone suddenly change their view when you haven't been able to make your case in 5 years?

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

#853 Dec 9, 2012
Dirty White Schlepper wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps it is possible that two people of the same sex could never be equal to what actually brought them into this world. A male and a female. I have made my case many times starting with a health crisis to a procreation crisis to a family structure crisis. You dirty little hew you.
It's an inept argument. Procreation is neither a prerequisite for, nor a requirement of legal marriage.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#854 Dec 9, 2012
Dirty White Schlepper wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps it is possible that two people of the same sex could never be equal to what actually brought them into this world. A male and a female. I have made my case many times starting with a health crisis to a procreation crisis to a family structure crisis. You dirty little hew you.
And I'm sure your Mom is tickled pink to being compared to a puppy mill bitch.

au contraire

“Forever Is Promised To No One”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#855 Dec 10, 2012
Wat the Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth about Republican close minded bigots is still true.
DOMA violates 14th amendment. That's why the Supreme Court will strike both down. Legalize marriage equality nationwide!
Then why hasn't it been done by state supreme courts. If you want to play with each other go ahead, but shut the door, we are tired of watching you perverts perform.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 min Injudgement 224,764
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 1 min Agents of Corruption 383,962
News Feds' transgender guidance provokes fierce back... 1 min barefoot2626 867
News Protesters clash with police outside Trump rall... 1 min How about 54
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 min DanFromSmithville 197,229
News LA Mayor Eric Garcetti slams Donald Trump as a ... 5 min tomin cali 6
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 5 min Big C 11,738
News Government to stop using 'negro' and 'oriental' 11 min ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 289
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 45 min cubeshaker 449
News House takes action against Confederate flag, a ... 1 hr barefoot2626 177
More from around the web