Carter: Money ruining elections

There are 75 comments on the Politico story from Sep 12, 2012, titled Carter: Money ruining elections. In it, Politico reports that:

Former President Jimmy Carter issued a blistering indictment of the U.S. electoral process Tuesday, saying it is shot through with "financial corruption" that threatens American democracy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Politico.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Cisco Kidd

Germany

#67 Sep 12, 2012
PooPoo Platter wrote:
Once again, Jimmy Carter is right.
Carter is a peanut brain much like yourself.
Obama Black Nation

Anchorage, AK

#68 Sep 12, 2012
Half-White Boob Obama is not fit to lick Carters Birkenstocks.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#69 Sep 12, 2012
DOES it really matter WHERE the campaign money comes from?? Whether it's from a movie star, sports player or a rocker..it's MONEY..and MONEY makes Dreams come true..just a little easier and faster..ALL are taxpayers WHO can spend their bucks on ANYTHING they want to..EVEN supporting their fav person for the next President of the United States..

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#71 Sep 12, 2012
just another guy wrote:
The root of the problem is a huge government that involves itself in every aspect of our daily lives. That causes people to spend huge sums to hopefully influence it in their favor.
Reduce the intrusiveness of government and you will reduce the money spent on elections.
Yes, BUT...AREN'T..the American taxpayers the GOVT???
Wasp

Kent, OH

#72 Sep 12, 2012
davy wrote:
The world has changed a bit since then.
<quoted text>
Human nature hasn't.
Wasp

Kent, OH

#73 Sep 12, 2012
Tony wrote:
<quoted text>
The Constitution has been amended many times and times have changed so eliminate the electoral college so every vote will count.
That is like when two wolves and a sheep vote to see what to have for lunch.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#74 Sep 13, 2012
If the electoral college is 'fixed', will the off-shore tabulation of election results in the country of Spain by a private company be true and safe?
Telmark

Chico, CA

#75 Sep 13, 2012

Yet another "profound" statement from the peanut farmer.

Anyone remotely familiar with history knows that money has been "ruining" elections and governments since the beginning of civilization. Note: by "history" I mean factual history, and not what he reads from his Bible.

This, and his claim that Hugo Chavez won the Venezuelan Presidential election "fairly and squarely" shows that Carter is still completely out-of-touch with reality.

Btw, I find it amazing that Carter didn't mention anything about eliminating the most damaging financial effect on elections (and governments): i.e. lobbying.
Spike

Willard, OH

#76 Sep 13, 2012
Telmark wrote:
Anyone remotely familiar with history knows that money has been "ruining" elections and governments since the beginning of civilization. Note: by "history" I mean factual history, and not what he reads from his Bible.
This, and his claim that Hugo Chavez won the Venezuelan Presidential election "fairly and squarely" shows that Carter is still completely out-of-touch with reality.
Btw, I find it amazing that Carter didn't mention anything about eliminating the most damaging financial effect on elections (and governments): i.e. lobbying.
Well of course he's out of touch,he's a democrat! These political cycles repeat every 20-30 years where the dems get swept in then immediatly muck everything up,they get thrown out and the republicans (AKA adults) get swept in are required to spend years cleaning up the mess that the dems left. Then it repeats.
CunningLinguist

Kissimmee, FL

#77 Sep 13, 2012
Telmark wrote:

“Hillary, thirty years of lying”

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#78 Sep 13, 2012
Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
Carter was probably one of the most moral presidents of the 20th century. Like obama he inherited a sluggish economy from the Ford administration and runaway inflation. Ford's solution to inflation--he had millions of buttons printed that said WIN--"whip inflation now." Ford was a total dolt and Carter did the best he could. He was clearly superior to the fascist that followed him!
Carter had everyone working for peanuts........

........boy does he care.......about the Muslims and brotherhood maybe.......any more spiking the football since Yemen last night. You loons spiked the football 18 times during your convention.....and Obama didn't attend the last two secruity briefings before 9/11.....What a Commander in Golfer.

Obama used almost the same words this morning in a briefing that Jimmy Carter used in his attack…… against Reagan......we see how that worked for him. Obama is just like Carter, weak and indecisive. He went to bed knowing the embassy was under attack......ITS 3:00 IN THE MORNING....THE PHONE RINGS..........THE ANSWERING MACHINE PICKS UP.
conservative crapola

Kutztown, PA

#79 Sep 13, 2012
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Multi-thread dumbo mumbo jumbo. Yawn.....

“Hillary, thirty years of lying”

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#80 Sep 13, 2012
conservative crapola wrote:
<quoted text>
Multi-thread dumbo mumbo jumbo. Yawn.....
hey stalker, try to keep up boy or you'll lose your Soros bonus.......I heard your gerbil left you for a hamster.......I guess everyone wants to move up the ladder.

More proof Obama is an idiot and too weak to lead.......Jimmy Carter was Patton compared to Obama.

State Dept 'had credible information 48 hours before mobs charged consulate in Benghazi'...

Revealed: Inside story of ambassador's assassination...

Sensitive documents go missing...

Exposed: Names of Libyans who are working with Americans...
conservative crapola

Kutztown, PA

#81 Sep 13, 2012
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
okie pinokie coburn:'I want to raise taxes'

hahahahahahahahahaha

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#85 Sep 20, 2012
A grandson involved in election manipulation is not not legacy stuff. He may get a criminal record.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 min Jay 278,990
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min BlueFlag 1,563,219
News U.S. Supreme Court partly rejects Trump in late... 5 min Winning Yet 5
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 7 min John-K 315,160
News By a 2-to-1 margin, Americans prefer Obamacare ... 7 min Retired SOF 239
News Psychiatrists say Trump is mentally ill 8 min Winning Yet 51
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 8 min Squirrel Pot Pie 15,198
News Trump had undisclosed hour-long meeting with Pu... 1 hr non homo pheobie 71
More from around the web