Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say

Full story: TwinCities.com

Scientists from around the world are providing even more evidence of global warming, one day after President Barack Obama renewed his call for climate legislation.

Comments (Page 1,380)

Showing posts 27,581 - 27,600 of29,835
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

Judged:

When the winds of change blow, some people build walls and others build windmills.

Chinese proverb
Cut n Paste

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

Judged:

"Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say
Full story: TwinCities.com
Scientists from around the world are providing even more evidence of global warming, one day after President Barack Obama renewed his call for climate legislation."
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

Judged:

Thomas Friedman understands petro-politics:

For the last 50 years, America (and Europe and Asia) have treated the Middle East as if it were just a collection of big gas stations: Saudi station, Iran station, Kuwait station, Bahrain station, Egypt station, Libya station, Iraq station, United Arab Emirates station, etc. Our message to the region has been very consistent:“Guys (it was only guys we spoke with), here’s the deal. Keep your pumps open, your oil prices low, don’t bother the Israelis too much and, as far as we’re concerned, you can do whatever you want out back. You can deprive your people of whatever civil rights you like. You can engage in however much corruption you like. You can preach whatever intolerance from your mosques that you like. You can print whatever conspiracy theories about us in your newspapers that you like. You can keep your women as illiterate as you like. You can create whatever vast welfare-state economies, without any innovative capacity, that you like. You can undereducate your youth as much as you like. Just keep your pumps open, your oil prices low, don’t hassle the Jews too much — and you can do whatever you want out back.”

Freedom and democracy are strong when oil is down; repression and totalitarianism are up whenever the price of oil is up.
Brad

Hebron, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
Thomas Friedman understands petro-politics:
For the last 50 years, America (and Europe and Asia) have treated the Middle East as if it were just a collection of big gas stations: Saudi station, Iran station, Kuwait station, Bahrain station, Egypt station, Libya station, Iraq station, United Arab Emirates station, etc. Our message to the region has been very consistent:“Guys (it was only guys we spoke with), here’s the deal. Keep your pumps open, your oil prices low, don’t bother the Israelis too much and, as far as we’re concerned, you can do whatever you want out back. You can deprive your people of whatever civil rights you like. You can engage in however much corruption you like. You can preach whatever intolerance from your mosques that you like. You can print whatever conspiracy theories about us in your newspapers that you like. You can keep your women as illiterate as you like. You can create whatever vast welfare-state economies, without any innovative capacity, that you like. You can undereducate your youth as much as you like. Just keep your pumps open, your oil prices low, don’t hassle the Jews too much — and you can do whatever you want out back.”
Freedom and democracy are strong when oil is down; repression and totalitarianism are up whenever the price of oil is up.
Would the middle east be more civil if nobody bought their oil?
They act exactly the way they did a thousand years ago.
Typical moonbat,blame,blame blame.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

Judged:

Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
Would the middle east be more civil if nobody bought their oil?
They act exactly the way they did a thousand years ago.
Typical moonbat,blame,blame blame.
Your thinking Friedman is a moonbat only supports the idea that you must be one.

The subject is the present, not 10 centuries back.

You should try reading him before letting your dogma do the thinking for you.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

Judged:

Regardless.. only about sixty years ago Israel was set up on stolen Arab lands.

Regardless.. only about a hundred years ago the first world war was started to divide up the land in the near east and eastern Europe and northern Africa and central Asia.. and south and eastern Asia, etc..

Regardless.. the first peace treaty in human history was signed in the near east..

And the ignorant claim war lies the peace loving people .. welp
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
Regardless.. only about sixty years ago Israel was set up on stolen Arab lands.
That is a bit one sided. The land (47% of Palestine) was granted to them as a homeland for reparations of the Holocaust. Maybe a bit 'post facto' but still legal. The Palestinians backed the wrong horse.

But of course, I cannot defend the naked land grab that has gone on since. They 'took' 78%, exceeding the land grant by a wide margin. They currently 'control' 100% and they continue to expand settlements on 'occupied' territories that violates the Geneva Convention and is totally ILLEGAL in international law. And they continue to violate Palestinian rights with impugnity and some disdain. I value the Jewish friends I have, but the current STATE of Israel is nothing I can approve of.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

Judged:

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a bit one sided. The land (47% of Palestine) was granted to them as a homeland for reparations of the Holocaust. Maybe a bit 'post facto' but still legal. The Palestinians backed the wrong horse.
But of course, I cannot defend the naked land grab that has gone on since. They 'took' 78%, exceeding the land grant by a wide margin. They currently 'control' 100% and they continue to expand settlements on 'occupied' territories that violates the Geneva Convention and is totally ILLEGAL in international law. And they continue to violate Palestinian rights with impugnity and some disdain. I value the Jewish friends I have, but the current STATE of Israel is nothing I can approve of.
Yep.. there are 1000+ shades of grey in this case.

Canada et al had plenty of empty land to give up to the survivors. It is a very shockig situation ..
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

Judged:

shocking..
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

Judged:

The Prize

The dirty dealings that went on at the beginning of oil addiction are no better than the ones that go on now.

From Rockefeller to Ahmadinejad, oil has been an aphrodisiac. It smelled like money.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

Judged:

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
They learned well from their Nazi overlords.

We have some kind of high moral ground by defending a country that has no oil, but only by a bunch of scrolls 2000 years old. The evangelists keep us connected.
Brad

Hebron, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your thinking Friedman is a moonbat only supports the idea that you must be one.
The subject is the present, not 10 centuries back.
You should try reading him before letting your dogma do the thinking for you.
Leftism eventually poisons everything it influences,including ones character,and Friedman is no exception.

Bad things done by people with pure intentions doesn't make the cruel acts any better.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2013

Judged:

Rightism eventually poisons everything it influences,including one's character,and you are certainly no exception.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions, or conversely, denier lies.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
Rightism eventually poisons everything it influences,including one's character,and you are certainly no exception.
I notice that it also induces toxic personalities that like to spit on others as a way to bolster their own weak egos. And the extreme right winger doesn't want to pay for the bread and circuses he orders.

The right winger wants military adventurism, public money and world domination as HIS 'bread and circuses' while the left winger wants 'family values'(i.e parks, income security, health care, etc) as his.
gcaveman1 wrote:
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions, or conversely, denier lies.
But most right wingers are motivated by self interest and arrogance. Some call themselves right wingers when they have a heart but that is almost sure to get them kicked out of the 'ring wingers club' eventually.

That said, it is a 'truism' that left wingers have no brain and right wingers have no heart. But for MOST people the labels are false. MOST people are between the right and left and only the 'extremism' of a bipartisan system creates the division.

MOST people want good government that doesn't cost too much. And anyone that hasn't inherited resources or 'friends with money' wants some sort of 'safety net' for the bad times, either through their own gambles or flaws, or from larger issues such as recessions.
sinic

Brownwood, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2013

Judged:

Cut costs and greenhouse gas emissions:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...

Seems someone is doing more than talking.

“CAPS LOCK CAUSE CLIMATE CHANGE”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2013

Judged:

sinic wrote:
Cut costs and greenhouse gas emissions:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...
Seems someone is doing more than talking.
I love it! Fossil fuel. Natural gas is clean, when burned it produces water vapor and CO2, natural greenhouse gas. It's hard to store, fill and move, but it works great for launch vehicles.

What's not to love about global warming?

P.S. Just back from Maldives; the diving is unbelievable. The reefs are fantastic. The fish are like an animal garden. The resort pumped waste onto the shelf of the reef, so the current would carry it along the island's atoll. They are trying to encourage growth.

I want to encourage the growth of fuel and energy production and use. I oppose climate treaties, regulations or agreements.

We've got their names; John McCain's signed climate accords.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I love it! Fossil fuel. Natural gas is clean, when burned it produces water vapor and CO2, natural greenhouse gas. It's hard to store, fill and move, but it works great for launch vehicles.
P.S. Just back from Maldives; the diving is unbelievable. The reefs are fantastic. The fish are like an animal garden. The resort pumped waste onto the shelf of the reef, so the current would carry it along the island's atoll. They are trying to encourage growth.
I want to encourage the growth of fuel and energy production and use. I oppose climate treaties, regulations or agreements.
You are dead wrong.. This is from The Seattle Times:

Waters welling up from the deep along the coast during certain wind events are naturally rich in carbon dioxide and bring that CO2-rich water right to the surface. That CO2 reduces the availability of certain chemicals in the marine water that young oysters draw upon to form their shells.

“This has been known for a long time and been thoroughly published and vetted in the published scientific literature for a couple of decades,” said Hales.

Under normal conditions, Pacific oysters, a nonnative species here, do OK, but live right at the edge of their tolerance.

But just a little extra CO2 can push larval oysters over a threshold so that they have trouble making shells. This, too,“has been covered extensively in the recent scientific literature and the cause of the sensitivity is known,” Hales said.

These changes in ocean CO2 were the leading cause of death for billions of larval oysters at Whiskey Creek, a major shellfish hatchery along the Oregon coast that supplies young oysters to many of the shellfish growers in Washington. Scientists know this through their own research. Even more telling, Hales said, is that when hatchery workers found ways to reduce the CO2, oysters stopped dying.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I love it! Fossil fuel. Natural gas is clean, when burned it produces water vapor and CO2, natural greenhouse gas. It's hard to store, fill and move, but it works great for launch vehicles.
You're an idiot. I'm not. This is where we differ.

“CAPS LOCK CAUSE CLIMATE CHANGE”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2013

Judged:

Why not ask the waitress for an order of Pacific oysters on the half shell, and check them out for yourself?

http://www.pikeplacefish.com/buy/crab-and-she...

http://www.ilovebluesea.com/sustainable-seafo...
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2013

Judged:

[QUOTE who="lyin' brian"]Why not ask the waitress for an order of Pacific oysters on the half shell, and check them out for yourself?[/QUOTE]

While you infer restaurant prices, you show a present market price for oysters of over a dollar per oyster. Your inference is a sidewinder lie.

History catches you in another lie, since Seattle oysters were selling for $.50 per, back in 2006...... at restaurants. Yeah...... ocean seafood prices are going up rapidly.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 27,581 - 27,600 of29,835
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••