It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 20 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

GoGoBar

Bangkok, Thailand

#109965 Jul 7, 2013
Yep, there is plenty of opportunity for the brave entepreneur who wants fill the growing niche of non corporate products.

Green is the way forward. Back to the hippies, but with class. Cater for those who can afford to be discerning in their purchases in the post industrial advanced nations.

Supersized sushi, california rolls and fresh vegetable juice served from carts on the street. All cash, no tax.
Heaven. Or is that waht they do in asia?
sid

Brisbane, Australia

#109966 Jul 7, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> But no one ASKED you to be their keeper. Why do you think you know more what's best for me than I do? I don't want to be controlled "for my own good". I am very aware the things I do and dangers involved. Would you like me to force my standards on you? You don't like corporate greed? Don't buy their goods, see how simple that is.
Yeah great, let the free market forces roll on while yours and our kids get more obese and unhealthy. So who picks up the tab for the medical and health costs, not to mention the social intangible costs, not the corporate parasites that created the problem, you can bet your life on that.
I mean we are our brothers keeper more in the sense of kids rather than adults, don't you regulate what your kids eat, read, watch on TV, who they associate with, it's called caring about the next generation, part of a parents duty to provide the best they can for their kids.
Goats milk Australia

Castle Hill, Australia

#109967 Jul 8, 2013
Whenever I see the word Kids I think of baby goats. Do people drink mares milk in the US? I'm sure some of those north central states would Ohio and place in Canada?
Kuru Man

Manassas, VA

#109968 Jul 8, 2013
The goat's brain is the most delicious meat that i've ever tasted, isn't that right mate?
Tray

Saltillo, MS

#109969 Jul 8, 2013
sid wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah great, let the free market forces roll on while yours and our kids get more obese and unhealthy. So who picks up the tab for the medical and health costs, not to mention the social intangible costs, not the corporate parasites that created the problem, you can bet your life on that.
I mean we are our brothers keeper more in the sense of kids rather than adults, don't you regulate what your kids eat, read, watch on TV, who they associate with, it's called caring about the next generation, part of a parents duty to provide the best they can for their kids.
Corporations sells what sells. If more people ordered salads then thats what McDonalds would sell. You act like they intentionally try to make you fat. To have a successful business you must sell what the public wants not what is best for them. Go ahead and open a business that only sells health food and see how well it performs. As far as picking up the tab for someone else health care hey I'm all behind you on that one. Pay for your own. I'm not your keeper and should not have to pay your bills. Then there is the old argument "Do it for the children". That is tired and wore out. Children around the world are starving but of all the people who use the "for the children" argument I have never met a one that sends money to the starving. How about you? How much do you send to help the starving children?
truth

Perth, Australia

#109970 Jul 8, 2013
soja beans milk and ect.. genetic jos=dos dosije id os ije
glands..womans cancare
AnnAgain

Oakland, CA

#109971 Jul 8, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> It's called "free will". People know what McDonalds is and they know it is a long way from a perfectly balance diet but it is free will to eat what you want. It's like drinking, smoking, driving cars, playing sports, or just walking out of the house, everything has risk. That is the whole point of life. If all were caged in cells and their lives controlled, yes you may live longer but would you want to? I eat what I want, I drive motorcycles (real fast when I can get away with it), I smoke (a lot), I own a lot of guns, and yes I am of a rather advanced age. I have no urge to live long enough to waste away in a nursing home. At this point I am afraid I will. So yes I am very happy and lived a full life and enjoyed it. You can take your "want to control me (for my own good)" and shove it.
Your notion is not supported by historical facts, if what you are saying were true homo sapiens, in our 3000,000 years, would have evolved into humans with perfect self control - you are clearly and ideological idiot! Humans, in fact, are incredibly vulnerable to both positive and negative stimuli!

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#109972 Jul 8, 2013
AnnAgain wrote:
<quoted text>
Your notion is not supported by historical facts, if what you are saying were true homo sapiens, in our 3000,000 years, would have evolved into humans with perfect self control - you are clearly and ideological idiot! Humans, in fact, are incredibly vulnerable to both positive and negative stimuli!
African Americans in Oakland, CA and Chicago, IL are proof of that.
spocko

Oakland, CA

#109973 Jul 8, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>African Americans in Oakland, CA and Chicago, IL are proof of that.
LOL ... more precisely, YOU are proof of that as all of us have the exact same ancestor from out of Africa - you obviously lag way behind in the process of an ever evolving humanity!
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#109974 Jul 8, 2013
AnnAgain wrote:
<quoted text>
Seig Heil!

More government control, that's what we need.(sarcasm)

Self control comes from experiencing your own consequences.

Location hidden

#109975 Jul 8, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL ... more precisely, YOU are proof of that as all of us have the exact same ancestor from out of Africa - you obviously lag way behind in the process of an ever evolving humanity!
more precisely, it went over your head LOL! which its you and your kind that obviously lag way behind and I mean way behind in the process of an ever evolving humanity and in intelligence and the African Americans in Oakland, CA and Chicago, IL are proof of it.

Location hidden

#109976 Jul 8, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Seig Heil!
More government control, that's what we need.(sarcasm)
Self control comes from experiencing your own consequences.
that is what the majority of the African Americans want because the depend on Government Control otherwise they would starve to death without these Great Society programs but it has already been detrimental to African Americans here in the US and they dont like Blacks like EW Jackson for speaking the truth of how detrimental the Great Society Programs have been and the African Americans that speak against EW Jackson are the ones that want to keep and expand the Great Society social failure because the depend on it like Frank, Spocko & AnnAgain.

Jackson says welfare, not slavery destroys black families

E.W. Jackson quote

I am a direct descendent of slaves. My grandfather was born there to a father and a mother who had been slaves. And by the way, their family was more intact than the black family is today, Jackson said.

Im telling you that slavery did not destroy the black family, even though it certainly was an attack on the black family. It made it difficult,

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/state-regio...

EW Jackson says Great Society worse for black families than slavery

Tray

Saltillo, MS

#109977 Jul 8, 2013
AnnAgain wrote:
<quoted text>
We have perfect self control but we also have free will to use that control or not. i do many things that are bad for me but I do so enjoy them. I also have free will not to let anyone control my enjoyment. "Poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of others". Yes I know I stole that one.
TGO

Labelle, FL

#109978 Jul 8, 2013
George H wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe, but at least we are not prisoners of mother england, we used our guns to throw that yoke off.
You are absolutely right.
Australia has a royal governor known as the "Governor-General" who is the queen's direct representative in AU.

This GG has the same constitutional authority as the queen.
The GG has the final word (assent) on laws passed by the AU parliament.
The GG can appoint government ministers.
The GG is commander in chief of Australia's armed forces.
The GG has the power to REMOVE the AU prime minister and DID remove an AU prime minister from office.

Despite their claims of "independence" the top dog in Australia is the ROYAL GOVERNOR, who does what the Queen of England orders to be done.
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#109979 Jul 8, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>that is what the majority of the African Americans want because the depend on Government Control otherwise they would starve to death without these Great Society programs but it has already been detrimental to African Americans here in the US and they dont like Blacks like EW Jackson for speaking the truth of how detrimental the Great Society Programs have been and the African Americans that speak against EW Jackson are the ones that want to keep and expand the Great Society social failure because the depend on it like Frank, Spocko & AnnAgain.
Jackson says welfare, not slavery destroys black families
E.W. Jackson quote
I am a direct descendent of slaves. My grandfather was born there to a father and a mother who had been slaves. And by the way, their family was more intact than the black family is today, Jackson said.
Im telling you that slavery did not destroy the black family, even though it certainly was an attack on the black family. It made it difficult,
http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/state-regio...
EW Jackson says Great Society worse for black families than slavery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =lMyV9632PZAXX
There seems to be a lack of self control throughout society today.

Location hidden

#109980 Jul 8, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
There seems to be a lack of self control throughout society today.
that is true.
Tm Clmns

Victoria, Canada

#109981 Jul 8, 2013
just an allusion wrote:
Never argue with an idiot as they'll only debate you down to their level and then beat you with experience!
You're right..

you win...
GoGoBar

Bangkok, Thailand

#109982 Jul 8, 2013
TGO wrote:
<quoted text>
You are absolutely right.
Australia has a royal governor known as the "Governor-General" who is the queen's direct representative in AU.
This GG has the same constitutional authority as the queen.
The GG has the final word (assent) on laws passed by the AU parliament.
The GG can appoint government ministers.
The GG is commander in chief of Australia's armed forces.
The GG has the power to REMOVE the AU prime minister and DID remove an AU prime minister from office.
Despite their claims of "independence" the top dog in Australia is the ROYAL GOVERNOR, who does what the Queen of England orders to be done.
The people of Australia had a refferendum (A National Vote) to decide if they wished to form a Republic or remain a democratic Monarchy.
The people decided to remain with the democratic monarchy.
Australians are a very loyal to their heritage. And very white racially.
Why not have a head of State that represents the values of the people.
The US has a representative head of state. Sort of a dark brown one.
Come 2050 when the US Whites are in the minority, the honkies might wish they had a Governor General overseeing their politicians.

Location hidden

#109983 Jul 8, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
The people of Australia had a refferendum (A National Vote) to decide if they wished to form a Republic or remain a democratic Monarchy.
The people decided to remain with the democratic monarchy.
Australians are a very loyal to their heritage. And very white racially.
Why not have a head of State that represents the values of the people.
The US has a representative head of state. Sort of a dark brown one.
Come 2050 when the US Whites are in the minority, the honkies might wish they had a Governor General overseeing their politicians.
I seriously doubt the US Whites will be the minority in 2050 at current rate the Blacks here in the US are killing one and another in their gang related crimes just look at the number of homicides that are black related in Chicago and its same everywhere even in Detroit its Black on Black.
GoGoBar

Bangkok, Thailand

#109984 Jul 8, 2013
The non-Hispanic white population will increase more slowly than other racial and ethnic groups; whites will become a minority (47%) by 2050

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2008/02/11/us-...

Every population projection confirms this. Even the US BOS.

The non white population will have increased political power.

And of course they will have guns to protect their position.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nokia Certification NCS_20020301010 Exam 3 min doyoukissme 1
News 'Clinton Cash': They're not dead broke anymore 3 min Tazo 7
News 8 Shocking Statements Opponents Of Marriage Equ... 4 min Wall 27
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 26 min Limbertwig 180,166
Humira pens I need --us usa 32 min Zero010101 2
News Dr. Rand Paul Prescribes Freedom and Lasik Surg... 37 min Tazo 1
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 38 min OzRitz 52,999
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 1 hr Quirky 326,056
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr Subduction Zone 161,759
News 5 Reasons The American Dream Is Eluding Black P... 2 hr R12 Freon 1,060
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr John Galt 1,223,644
News Riots in Baltimore raise questions about police... 5 hr californio 438
More from around the web