It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103321 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

GunShow1

“Shall NOT be infringed!”

Since: Apr 13

San Jose, CA.

#107478 May 15, 2013
"We are mere agents for the exercise of limited and specific grants; and I thank God that it is so. I rejoice that freedom of speech and the right of self-defence cannot be curtailed; that all your enactments in relation to are void; that gentlemen cannot, if they would, have a legislative auto do fe, and burn every man for contempt who will not follow them or applaud their acts...."--Mr. John Francis Hamtramck Clairborne, U.S. Representative from Mississippi,[Pg. 1693]

"If the witness be sent before the committee, self-defence is the paramount law of our nature. Self-defence is one of the natural rights that all men in this country possess. Self-defence is one of the inalienable rights, dear to this witness, secured to all American citizens by the very nature of our free institutions; and if he goes, he must be permitted to go before the committee armed for his own protection; for he is apprized of the feelings of the honorable chairman of the committee towards him, by the expression of the honorable gentleman made on this floor. Sir, if we force the witness before the committee, and he goes there armed,(and I hold that we cannot think of forcing him there without the power to protect himself,) may not the result be such as we would regret, and would we not be responsible for the consequences? Let me ask, will not Whitney commit a greater contempt by going before the committee armed than he has done in refusing to go before the committee under the circumstances of this case? Then, sir, I believe Whitney, under the circumstances, is justified in refusing to appear before the committee. Then, if we order Whitney into custody, and to be brought to the bar of this House to answer, as a criminal, will we not do so in violation of all his rights as a citizen, and will we not establish a dangerous precedent?"--Mr. Samuel J. Gholson, U.S. Representative from Mississippi, Feb. 10, 1837.[DEBATES IN CONGRESS PART II. REGISTER OF DEBATES IN CONGRESS, COMPRISING THE LEADING DEBATES AND INCIDENTS OF THE SECOND SESSION OF THE TWENTY-FOURTH CONGRESS: TOGETHER WITH AN APPENDIX, CONTAINING IMPORTANT STATE PAPERS AND PUBLIC DOCUMENTS, AND THE LAWS, OF A PUBLIC NATURE, ENACTED DURING THE SESSION: WITH A COPIOUS INDEX TO THE WHOLE. VOLUME XIII. WASHINGTON: PRINTED AND PUBLISHED BY GALES AND SEATON 1837. Pg. 1701]
yep

Huntsville, AL

#107479 May 15, 2013
GunShow1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm definitely a "bigot".
we know
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#107480 May 15, 2013
surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
surprise. teabagging gun nut is a bigot too
How would you get bigot out of that? BTW, I don't own a gun or belong to the NRA.
FYI

Denver, CO

#107481 May 15, 2013
yep wrote:
<quoted text>
we know
I guess I am too! Regards
GoGoBar

Thailand

#107482 May 15, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
How would you get bigot out of that? BTW, I don't own a gun or belong to the NRA.
Are you the figment of someone elses imagination? If not then you dont seem too engaged.
GoGoBar

Thailand

#107483 May 15, 2013
GunShow1 wrote:
"We are mere agents for the exercise of limited and specific grants; and I thank God that it is so. I rejoice that freedom of speech and the right of self-defence cannot be curtailed; that all your enactments in relation to are void; that gentlemen cannot, if they would, have a legislative auto do fe, and burn every man for contempt who will not follow them or applaud their acts...."--Mr. John Francis Hamtramck Clairborne, U.S. Representative from Mississippi,[Pg. 1693]
"If the witness be sent before the committee, self-defence is the paramount law of our nature. Self-defence is one of the natural rights that all men in this country possess. Self-defence is one of the inalienable rights, dear to this witness, secured to all American citizens by the very nature of our free institutions; and if he goes, he must be permitted to go before the committee armed for his own protection; for he is apprized of the feelings of the honorable chairman of the committee towards him, by the expression of the honorable gentleman made on this floor. Sir, if we force the witness before the committee, and he goes there armed,(and I hold that we cannot think of forcing him there without the power to protect himself,) may not the result be such as we would regret, and would we not be responsible for the consequences? Let me ask, will not Whitney commit a greater contempt by going before the committee armed than he has done in refusing to go before the committee under the circumstances of this case? Then, sir, I believe Whitney, under the circumstances, is justified in refusing to appear before the committee. Then, if we order Whitney into custody, and to be brought to the bar of this House to answer, as a criminal, will we not do so in violation of all his rights as a citizen, and will we not establish a dangerous precedent?"--Mr. Samuel J. Gholson, U.S. Representative from Mississippi, Feb. 10, 1837.[DEBATES IN CONGRESS PART II. REGISTER OF DEBATES IN CONGRESS, COMPRISING THE LEADING DEBATES AND INCIDENTS OF THE SECOND SESSION OF THE TWENTY-FOURTH CONGRESS: TOGETHER WITH AN APPENDIX, CONTAINING IMPORTANT STATE PAPERS AND PUBLIC DOCUMENTS, AND THE LAWS, OF A PUBLIC NATURE, ENACTED DURING THE SESSION: WITH A COPIOUS INDEX TO THE WHOLE. VOLUME XIII. WASHINGTON: PRINTED AND PUBLISHED BY GALES AND SEATON 1837. Pg. 1701]
Spaaaaam.

12996 Murders

225 Justifiable firearm self defense.

Even the NRA are calling for "Nanny State" armed guards in public and private spaces.

Like in Yemen.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#107484 May 15, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
Spaaaaam.
12996 Murders
Even the NRA are calling for "Nanny State" armed guards in public and private spaces.
Like in Yemen.
And how many self-defense uses with a firearm were there that DIDN'T result in a death???
GoGoBar

Thailand

#107485 May 15, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
And how many self-defense uses with a firearm were there that DIDN'T result in a death???
None that saved a life obviosly/

12996 Murders

225 Self defence Homicides by firearm

350,000 firearm violent crimes.

All per year.

The highest imprisonment rate in the known world.

But it is not the violent guns?

HAHAHAHAHA
FormerParatroope r

United States

#107486 May 15, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
12996 Murders
225 Self defence Homicides by firearm
350,000 firearm violent crimes.
All per year.
The highest imprisonment rate in the known world.
But it is not the violent guns?
HAHAHAHAHA
Where do your numbers come from?

Prison rates, is there a breakdown by offense?

How is an inanimate object violent?

Banned

“This town is nuts...”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#107488 May 15, 2013
When are you people going to figure out that gun control laws only effect legal and law biding gun owners and will do nothing to prevent criminals from using guns to commit crime? More importantly, when are you going to realize that you're not going to get our guns no matter how strongly you feel about the issue and start focusing your attention on finding realistic solutions to the problem you're trying to address? You should be pushing for legislation that will truly protect children while they are at school instead of trying to plow under our Constitutional right to own firearms. School shootings can be eliminated in this country while guns can not.
When

Huntsville, AL

#107489 May 15, 2013
Banned wrote:
are you going to quit posturing and support basic safety measures.

Banned

“This town is nuts...”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#107490 May 15, 2013
When wrote:
<quoted text>are you going to quit posturing and support basic safety measures.
What safety measures do you hope to enforce on those who commit crimes with guns? What they are doing with that firearm is already illegal so do you really think that passing another law is going to stop them? You want to pass laws that will only impact my right to protect and defend myself and my family... What will that do to help anything?

Southeast Virginia

#107491 May 15, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, because cops NEVER use theirs to apprehend armed criminals do they. Armed citizens NEVER use theirs to defend themselves where the perp is not shot do they?(end sarcasm)

What a f-ing idiot you are.

Southeast Virginia

#107492 May 15, 2013
"....not shot dead.."
spocko

Oakland, CA

#107493 May 15, 2013
Banned wrote:
<quoted text>
What safety measures do you hope to enforce on those who commit crimes with guns? What they are doing with that firearm is already illegal so do you really think that passing another law is going to stop them? You want to pass laws that will only impact my right to protect and defend myself and my family... What will that do to help anything?
Guns are almost always used as an offensive weapon and very rarely for defense!
The NRA has argued consistently that guns are vital for home defense. We keep hearing from the NRA and their ilk, the gunloons, about how a gun defends your home. Wayne LaPierre, the group’s executive liar in chief and an increasingly unhinged public face, has been out talking about how everyone needs guns to be prepared for a coming time of financial crisis and natural disaster – huh what? But, what about the broader implications, and added risks, of keeping guns in the house? It makes a domestic conflict far more likely to escalate and result in a murder (just ask Oscar Pistorius killing his girlfriend in a domestic dispute). Domestic violence and assaults involving a firearm are 23 times more likely to result in death than those involving other weapons or bodily force. When it comes to domestic disputes you are actually a lot less safe if there is a gun in the home. Without a gun in the house, many of these fatal assaults would have merely resulted in injuries or would not have escalated at all.
Karyn

Germany

#107494 May 15, 2013
Well from my experience I think you can get help from this great spell caster site. They are quite good and they offer free readings. Visit gullahmana.site40.net or email [email protected] ciao
GoGoBar

Thailand

#107495 May 15, 2013
FormerParatrooper wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do your numbers come from?
Prison rates, is there a breakdown by offense?
How is an inanimate object violent?
The NRA banned figures for firearm violence to be collected with federal funds if those figures tended to show that gun control would be a sensible thing.

But coronial and crime reports are not banned. Firearm usage in violent crime is repoted in the UCR under AGGREVATED .violent crime.

Southeast Virginia

#107497 May 15, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
The NRA banned figures for firearm violence to be collected with federal funds if those figures tended to show that gun control would be a sensible thing.
But coronial and crime reports are not banned. Firearm usage in violent crime is repoted in the UCR under AGGREVATED .violent crime.
Exactly how does the NRA ban statistical accumulation using federal funds? They don't receive any.

GunShow1

San Jose, CA.

#107498 May 15, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
Spaaaaam.
12996 Murders
Like in Yemen.
Good thing it's none of your business, eh pedophile?

GunShow1

San Jose, CA.

#107499 May 15, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
PROVE IT.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min Dr Guru 216,656
News Donald Trump Is Unfit to Lead 8 min Cordwainer Trout 6
News African-Americans should start voting for Repub... 8 min TheOriginalDoby 273
News Pope Francis: Apologize to gay people and others 13 min Cordwainer Trout 2
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 18 min Agents of Corruption 387,972
News Rumsfeld: Obama made right move on bin Laden raid (May '11) 25 min Never Forget 20
News Bin Laden son-in-law arrested in Jordan is brou... (Mar '13) 26 min Never Forget 71
News Donald Trump: Brexit is sign of independence de... 29 min Quirky 178
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 1 hr Trumping On 3,318
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr OzRitz 1,394,923
News 50 dead in Florida nightclub shooting, worst in... 3 hr WeTheSheeple 1,297
More from around the web