It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103321 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Sir Bucking Fastard

UK

#107427 May 13, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>Teaman is right, Sheriffs are elected officials and to think a sheriff from California would say he’s opposed to a federal ban on assault rifles because it would infringe on constitutional rights and do more harm than good is amazing and brave to say that especially for a Sheriff who is outnumbered with those backwaters by nbucktoothed backwoods creeps in California if that is what you call those in California like Dianne Feinstein & Nancy Pelosi.
If I have read U.S. history correctly enough, California was a decent place to live until all those 'Noo Ingland Yanquis' decided to move away from there because they didn't like the oppressive governments they lived under. But as soon as they got to the U.S. west coastal areas, they proceeded to do the very same things to everyone else which they were complaining about to begin with!
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#107428 May 13, 2013
Sir Bucking Fastard wrote:
<quoted text>
If I have read U.S. history correctly enough, California was a decent place to live until all those 'Noo Ingland Yanquis' decided to move away from there because they didn't like the oppressive governments they lived under. But as soon as they got to the U.S. west coastal areas, they proceeded to do the very same things to everyone else which they were complaining about to begin with!
Got to watch those Yankees, they'll change everything into what they left.:-)

I think the 1960's counter culture had more of an effect.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#107429 May 13, 2013
Sir Bucking Fastard wrote:
<quoted text>
California was a good place to until the Welfare Society took It over and it started in the 1970's

In the 1970s, California was the U.S. state with the most generous welfare system.

War on Poverty and Great Society programs (1960s)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_programs_...

this Chapter that made this video is correct about what kind of Society California has turned into and why California is broke because no ones wants to work.

It's Free Swipe Yo EBT (Explicit)

&fe ature=related
Quit

Huntsville, AL

#107430 May 13, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>
talking stupid. California was the victim of its own success and got too congested and overdeveloped. Prop 13 starved the public schools and colleges which were among the best in a nation. State government got pretty screwed up by corporate and special interest manipulation of the initiative process and gridlock caused by two-thirds majority required to do anything and an unwieldy constitution. Still the most innovative and creative state, the biggest economy and the place with most potential and smartest workforce. The governor has done a good job turning the budget problems around with shared sacrifice. Now if the idiot teabaggers get out of way and quit stalling the recovery, California will really take off again.
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#107431 May 13, 2013
Quit wrote:
<quoted text>
talking stupid. California was the victim of its own success and got too congested and overdeveloped. Prop 13 starved the public schools and colleges which were among the best in a nation. State government got pretty screwed up by corporate and special interest manipulation of the initiative process and gridlock caused by two-thirds majority required to do anything and an unwieldy constitution. Still the most innovative and creative state, the biggest economy and the place with most potential and smartest workforce. The governor has done a good job turning the budget problems around with shared sacrifice. Now if the idiot teabaggers get out of way and quit stalling the recovery, California will really take off again.
It seems like a good many of them are "taking off" to Texas.

GunShow1

“Shall NOT be infringed!”

Since: Apr 13

San Jose, CA.

#107433 May 13, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there an echo in here?
No, that's just the wind whistling through that empty head of yours.

GunShow1

San Jose, CA.

#107434 May 13, 2013
R-12 Freon wrote:
<quoted text>
Years ago i coulda got a empty(fired) LAW rocket launcher. You can't reload them as far as I know, but having one is good for alot of years in the Federal Pen. Possession of stolen military property get's you into the 'special' category,,, So I passed. But it was cool to hold. Realizing what your holding you think of those who have to use them, risking Their lives, so We don't have to. As a American I'm Proud of that and grateful enough to realize it.
LOL, using a website that shows you how to build a shell,,,is probably A.T.F. controlled. Order that kit and see what happens, lol.
Had a buddy of mine that almost had a hole burnt right through his chest. Because he was standing to close when a LAWS was fired. The guy firing it moved slightly when firing, and the back-flash nailed my buddy. It was a very nasty wound

Location hidden

#107439 May 14, 2013
Quit wrote:
<quoted text>
its not talking stupid at all which is a fact especially if you talking about the California Welfare Society you got that right which has been a great success and anybody denies that are talking stupid.

Nation's largest welfare state makes deep cuts

Advocates of welfare reform in California often cite one, eye-popping statistic as they have pressed for cuts and changes to the program in recent years: The state has one-eighth of the nation's population but one-third of all welfare recipients.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/...

Chapter Jackson - It's Free Swipe Yo EBT (Explicit)

Keywanda(Chapter) is having the time of her life. Her job is raising her family of 10 children while dealing with the drama and stress of the children's fathers. Thanks to the great state of California, Keywanda can support her lifestyle of having fun, getting "Turnt Up" and the kids can even get to eat from time to time.

&fe ature=related

Location hidden

#107440 May 14, 2013
R-12 Freon wrote:
<quoted text>
Years ago i coulda got a empty(fired) LAW rocket launcher. You can't reload them as far as I know, but having one is good for alot of years in the Federal Pen. Possession of stolen military property get's you into the 'special' category,,, So I passed. But it was cool to hold. Realizing what your holding you think of those who have to use them, risking Their lives, so We don't have to. As a American I'm Proud of that and grateful enough to realize it.
LOL, using a website that shows you how to build a shell,,,is probably A.T.F. controlled. Order that kit and see what happens, lol.
Watch Sons of Guns on the Discovery Channel they do it all the time and have to make their own shells and like I said go to the ATF website and Rocket Launchers are listed on ATF website which I looked and you can buy a Functional Rocket Launcher and all you got to do is go to a FFL Dealer pay for it and pay the ATF transfer tax along with a background check & necessary Federal Paperwork just like goes along with any other destructive device on the website and its even legal to own a tank that can fire which they showed on Discovery Channels Sons of Guns.
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#107441 May 14, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Watch Sons of Guns on the Discovery Channel they do it all the time and have to make their own shells and like I said go to the ATF website and Rocket Launchers are listed on ATF website which I looked and you can buy a Functional Rocket Launcher and all you got to do is go to a FFL Dealer pay for it and pay the ATF transfer tax along with a background check & necessary Federal Paperwork just like goes along with any other destructive device on the website and its even legal to own a tank that can fire which they showed on Discovery Channels Sons of Guns.
I'll have to get one of these bad boys.:-)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/di...
more

Huntsville, AL

#107442 May 14, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Watch Sons of Guns on the Discovery Channel they do it all the time and have to make their own shells and like I said go to the ATF website and Rocket Launchers are listed on ATF website which I looked and you can buy a Functional Rocket Launcher and all you got to do is go to a FFL Dealer pay for it and pay the ATF transfer tax along with a background check & necessary Federal Paperwork just like goes along with any other destructive device on the website and its even legal to own a tank that can fire which they showed on Discovery Channels Sons of Guns.
Internet terrorist chatter

Location hidden

#107443 May 14, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll have to get one of these bad boys.:-)
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/di...
How to Buy a Tank

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/0804_ho...
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#107444 May 14, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>How to Buy a Tank
http://www.automobilemag.com/features/0804_ho...
That Russian stuff is junk.:-)

Location hidden

#107445 May 14, 2013
more wrote:
<quoted text>
Internet terrorist chatter
You got that right especially the unregistered Topix poster from Santa Fe, New Mexico that keeps changing his Topix post name is definitely involved in Leninist Internet terrorist chatter and against the US Constitutions Bill of Rights which the 2nd amendment is part of which the Leninist do not like.
spocko

Oakland, CA

#107446 May 14, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>California was a good place to until the Welfare Society took It over and it started in the 1970's
In the 1970s, California was the U.S. state with the most generous welfare system.
War on Poverty and Great Society programs (1960s)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_programs_...
this Chapter that made this video is correct about what kind of Society California has turned into and why California is broke because no ones wants to work.
It's Free Swipe Yo EBT (Explicit)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =NzspsovNvIIXX&feature=rel ated
No one want's to work? Perhaps that is why CA is 8th largest economy in world - ye brainless moron!!

Location hidden

#107448 May 14, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
No one want's to work? Perhaps that is why CA is 8th largest economy in world - ye brainless moron!!
yeah your the brainless moron!! its the largest welfare state in the US and broke because no one wants to work and pay taxes and anyone that believes California is doing so great is part of the Modern Pseudo Liberal's Welfare Society and why its so huge in California and anybody that owns a business would be nuts reside in California to be taxed to provide for the Welfare Society.

Broken California: Wasting Money and Hurting Business

http://www.forbes.com/sites/garyshapiro/2012/...
spocko

Oakland, CA

#107450 May 14, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>yeah your the brainless moron!! its the largest welfare state in the US and broke because no one wants to work and pay taxes and anyone that believes California is doing so great is part of the Modern Pseudo Liberal's Welfare Society and why its so huge in California and anybody that owns a business would be nuts reside in California to be taxed to provide for the Welfare Society.
Broken California: Wasting Money and Hurting Business
http://www.forbes.com/sites/garyshapiro/2012/...
Perhaps that is why CA is 8th largest economy in world - ye brainless moron!!

Location hidden

#107451 May 14, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps that is why CA is 8th largest economy in world - ye brainless moron!!
you are a Brainless Moron!! and it seem there is a lot of them in California which is why its in a Financial Mess besides I have lost track of how many cities in California have filed for Bankruptcy already because there is no tax base like they used to have its all gone and its bad enough US Tax Payers had to bail the so called 8th biggest economy in the world & California Homeowners.

US taxpayers bail out California homeowners, as banks fail to pay their share

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/08/20/us...

California Cities''Fiscal Emergency' Put Tax Questions On The Ballot Faster

07/30/12

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/30/cali...
Stay

Huntsville, AL

#107452 May 14, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>
stupid and spout your old clichés. The world will pass you by.

GunShow1

San Jose, CA.

#107453 May 14, 2013
Stay wrote:
<quoted text>
stupid and spout your old clichés. The world will pass you by.
Here's an old cliche for you, troll:

"Sir, may not human institutions, made by the best wisdom of man for human preservation, receive the light of illustration from institutions established for the same beneficent purpose, by the ordinances of the Diety himself? "The Judge of all the earth" has expounded the laws of the Eternal, so that his prohibition against "shedding man's blood" does aid, not abrogate, his own paramount law of self-preservation, but, in effect, place a weapon in each man's hands to shed that blood in his own defence. Who, then, will, or can deny, to a whole people, united and embodied in the persons of their representatives, under that great institution, their political law--that constitution which makes them a nation, and forms their representatives into a sovereignty--who, I say, dares deny to that sovereignty the same rights of self-defence which appertain, not only to every individual of that nation, but also to every animated being throughout the universe!..."

"[Pages 2971-72]... France has drenched the streets of her own beloved Paris in blood, to secure "freedom of the press." The type, sir, the type must pioneer the sword in the march of freedom. The voice of eloquence may startle the oppressed from his slumber of ages--it may shake the tyrant on his throne of a hundred descents, if they may be found within the compass of its mighty volume; but the more efficient powers of the press may spread out the printed roll of human rights before every human eye. Dare we, sir, dare we snatch that printed roll from the hand of the American people; and that, too, when it is fraught with our own doings touching their own concernments, entrusted by them in our management, but to their use and for their benefit?

"Sir, I do not recollect any thing material, said by the learned advocate, which now remains unanswered: for I pass over, as utterly unworthy of any reply, the allegation that the deed of daring done by the respondent was done by him because a certain letter was not answered by the gentleman from Ohio; not because words were spoken, or because words were printed, but because words were not written; not for a wrong done, but for not doing a wrong. Equally unworthy of notice is the poor evasion which labored to censure the gentleman from Ohio for carrying arms to secure his own personal safety. The bravo--the ruffian--may fill his belt with pistols, and his bosom with dirk-knives, and threaten violence to peaceable citizens, and do all this with perfect impunity; but if such citizens take to themselves weapons for purposes of self-defence--the only lawful cause for which men may ever wear such weapons--they are, as it is said, guilty of provoking aggression, and justly liable to punishment for any violation of the public peace, committed by any assault made on their own person."--Mr. Trisam Burges, Representative of Rhode Island, May 11, 1832.[Debates in Congress. Part III. of Vol. VIII. Register of Debates in Congress, Comprising The Leading Debates And Incidents Of The First Sssion of the Twenty-Second Congree: Together With An Appendix, Containing Important State Papers and Public Documents, and the Laws Enacted During The Session; With a Copius Index to the whole. Volume VIII. Washington: Printed and Published by Gales & Seaton. 1838.]
http://gunshowonthenet.blogspot.com/2013/05/t...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News News 28 Mins Ago 'Not the America we want': Oba... 2 min barefoot2626 378
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min DennyWaxmansPlace 1,396,261
News Columbus veteran, ousted for sexual orientation... 5 min Oliver Canterberry 9
News Hillary Clinton wavers on Second Amendment righ... 6 min barefoot2626 1,265
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 7 min Jay 228,890
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 8 min Katrina 88 388,365
News The anti-Nadler landslide 10 min serfs up 3
News Boston Globe's front page: AR-15, 'Make It Stop' 27 min spocko 540
More from around the web