It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103293 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Article

Long Beach, CA

#106941 May 7, 2013
Taking America For Granted:

By Thomas Sowell, noted African American Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institute:

http://townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/2...

We all have a tendency to take for granted what we are used to, and to regard it as somehow natural or automatic -- and to be unduly impressed by what is unusual. Too many Americans take the United States for granted and are too easily impressed by what people in other countries say and do.

That is especially true of the intelligentsia, and dangerously true of those Supreme Court justices who cite foreign laws when making decisions about American law.

There is nothing automatic about the way of life achieved in this country. It is very unusual among the nations of the world today and rarer than four-leaf clovers in the long view of history.

It didn't just happen. People made it happen -- and they and those who came after them paid a price in blood and treasure to create and preserve this nation that we now take for granted. More important, this country's survival is not automatic. What we do will determine that. Too many Americans today are not only unconcerned about what it will take to preserve this country but are busy dismantling the things that make it America.

Our national motto, "E Pluribus Unum" -- from many, one -- has been turned upside down as educators, activists and politicians strive to fragment the American population into separate racial, social, linguistic and ideological blocs. Some are gung ho for generic "change" -- without the slightest concern that the change might be for the worse, even in a world where most nations that are different are also worse off. Most are worse economically and many are much worse off in terms of despotism, corruption, and bloodshed.

History is full of nations and even whole civilizations that have fallen from the heights to destitution and disintegration. The Roman Empire is a classic example, but the great ancient Chinese dynasties, the Ottoman Empire and many others have met the same fate. These were not just political "changes." They were historic catastrophes from which whole peoples did not recover for centuries. It has been estimated that it was a thousand years before Europeans again achieved as high a standard of living as they had in Roman times. The Dark Ages were called dark for a reason.

Today, whole classes of people get their jollies and puff themselves up by denigrating and denouncing American society. Such people are a major influence in our media, in our educational system and among all sorts of vocal activists. Nothing illustrates their power to distort reality like the way they seize upon slavery to denounce American society.

Slavery was cancerous but does anybody regard cancer in the United States as an evil peculiar to American society? It is a worldwide affliction and so was slavery. Both the enslavers and the enslaved have included people on every inhabited continent -- people of every race, color, and creed. More Europeans were enslaved and taken to North Africa by Barbary Coast pirates alone than there were African slaves taken to the United States and to the colonies from which it was formed.

Yet throughout our educational system, our media, and in politics, slavery is incessantly presented as if it were something peculiar to black and white Americans. What was peculiar about the United States was that it was the first country in which slavery was under attack from the moment the country was created.

What was peculiar about Western civilization was that it was the first civilization to destroy slavery, not only within its own countries but in other countries around the world as well.

Reality has been stood on its head so that a relative handful of people can feel puffed up or gain notoriety and power. Whatever they gain, the rest of us have everything to lose.

Since: Dec 10

Glandore, Australia

#106942 May 7, 2013
no different at all wrote:
<quoted text>
I was a Marine, our reputation is known throughout the entire world. Tell me, Ahomana, were you ever in the service? You speak so highly of your diggers, what have you done for your nation personally? Kennedy gave the famous speech "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country"
Somehow you strike me as the "what can my country do for me" type of person.
PS...Here's your first instalment of the pride of the US Military....feckin' enjoy you ignorant tit. Let's see if you have the guts to watch what your soldiers have done to innocents in time of war...You are right the American military reputation is extremely well known throughout the world and your interpretation of that is as poor as your ignorance of gun control...

Portage, MI

#106943 May 7, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
So you were a marine so what you sighned on for the job and you got paid....I never see Australians get on here and say oh I am a soldier and did this for my country so what have you done...because they know if it wasn't for those at home who kept the fires burning kept them informed made bullets machinery etc...then the might not have made it home...so stick your big mouthed yankee doodle flag waving bullshit up your arse...we respect OUR boys and girls because they NEVER big note themselves like the yanks have to do everytime they can....you get your day to march you get your accolades and some get medals what do we at home get?...a grave site and a letter...we have lost people too....fathers, mothers, husbands, sons and daughters it wasn't ONLY YOU AND ONLY YOU YANKEE BASTARDS....you gung ho lunatic.
Just as I suspected, you haven't done jack shit and you never will. So ready to talk about a military you know nothing about and just as ready to talk about guns when you're equally ignorant on that topic as well.

You are a know-nothing blowhard full of ignorance and bigotry, nothing more. And you'll never be any more than that either. You must be fully aware of this by this point in your life, which is why you're so angry all the time. I bet its hard to know you're a loser, I guess i'd be pissed too.

Its ok, just sit in your government housing and wait for the food stamps.

Since: Oct 12

Gray, GA

#106944 May 7, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>PS...Here's your first instalment of the pride of the US Military....feckin' enjoy you ignorant tit. Let's see if you have the guts to watch what your soldiers have done to innocents in time of war...You are right the American military reputation is extremely well known throughout the world and your interpretation of that is as poor as your ignorance of gun control...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =rHk4TGWx0ZMXX
and your soldiers are right with them what say you?

Glandore, Australia

#106945 May 7, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Just as I suspected, you haven't done jack shit and you never will. So ready to talk about a military you know nothing about and just as ready to talk about guns when you're equally ignorant on that topic as well.
You are a know-nothing blowhard full of ignorance and bigotry, nothing more. And you'll never be any more than that either. You must be fully aware of this by this point in your life, which is why you're so angry all the time. I bet its hard to know you're a loser, I guess i'd be pissed too.
Its ok, just sit in your government housing and wait for the food stamps.
Tell that to your mum, dad kids girlfriend(joke) friends, all those that didn't serve do you... you lilly livered coward....You grabbed a gun and shot some people in a war based on lies...kudos you dumb brainless Marine...Always faithful, always dumb eh!

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#106946 May 7, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
I would if you had a valid point.
right here is the valid point in you post # 106834

here is some of text from your post
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>We could never hope to defend ourselves against any force like China, India, Japan, Russia, Indonesia, America or Britain...we are a small country
http://www.topix.com/forum/guns/TIOOJ2V09UCFQ...

Location hidden

#106947 May 7, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Gunloons have a great fear of society because everyone in it is a potential threat. As they like to say: Be polite be professional but have a plan to kill everyone you meet. The gun serves as the armor and differentiator, allowing the carrier to feel separate, above, and out of reach from society. The gun gives him an edge on the rest of the population; he’s afraid that without his edge, he can’t survive.
Oh I remember now, you’re the guy who keeps saying:“I’m gonna start blowing shit up because of Obama”!
I believe that was you which you just did it again and why you don't go by frank anymore besides I don't post BS like that.

Portage, MI

#106948 May 7, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell that to your mum, dad kids girlfriend(joke) friends, all those that didn't serve do you... you lilly livered coward....You grabbed a gun and shot some people in a war based on lies...kudos you dumb brainless Marine...Always faithful, always dumb eh!
Nope, I'm only telling it a cowardly piece of shite that wants to talk about things they have no real knowledge of.

Ok you centrelink bum, Now stick your hand out and wish for more free stuff at the expense of your fellow countrymen's hard work. They owe you that, right? You deserve it! LMAO

Location hidden

#106949 May 7, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
We depend on all our allies...mostly Britain and New Zealand, that is why they are called allies...Now in order to say that we can't fight back you don't know our history or our diggers...we have a strong track record of winning when being massively outnumbered and we don't massacre innoncent civilians or rape them like the yanks have done.....but the main point is that we are small and there are more resources around the islands in the South China Sea, if resources are what China is after? That is where they would look to.....Now give this some serious thought, if you have a want to become the next super power on the block...would you knock down the smallest kid in the yard, or would head for the biggest and ugliest and meanest.....that is you (America) my clueless friend,(sarcasm, Aussies have to make these things crystal, cause you are not the sharpest tools in the shed)else who on the block would take you seriously. SERIOUSLY!
you got that right the keyword you said is "Depend" just like the Welfare people here in the US that depend on the Federal Government and the rest of us taxpayer to provide.

Glandore, Australia

#106950 May 7, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>right here is the valid point in you post # 106834
here is some of text from your post
<quoted text>
http://www.topix.com/forum/guns/TIOOJ2V09UCFQ...
Yes, I know I had a valid point, I always do....where is yours?
spocko

Oakland, CA

#106951 May 7, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Hmmm. Only the law abiding follow laws. The North Hollywood shootout was an armed confrontation between two heavily armed and armored bank robbers and officers of the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) in the North Hollywood district of Los Angeles on February 28, 1997. Both robbers were killed, eleven police officers and seven civilians were injured, and numerous vehicles and other property were damaged or destroyed by the nearly 2,000 rounds of ammunition fired by the robbers and police.
An inventory of the weapons used: An AR-15 converted to fire automatically with two 100-round Beta Magazines, a semiautomatic HK-91 rifle with several 30-round magazines, a Beretta 92FS Inox with several magazines, and three different AK-47 rifles converted to fire in fully automatic mode with several 75 to 100-round drum magazines, as well as 30 round box magazines. Two of the AK-47s were later found to have been purchased by Phillips, and apparently converted by him as well using a bench drill to drill out the hole for the autosear pin (this allowed it to be fired in full auto). They had several full auto guns that were illegal and altered illegally. However, it was not possible for Phillips to legally purchase a firearm due to him being a convicted felon. Seven months after the incident, the Department of Defense gave 600 surplus M16s to the LAPD, which were issued to each patrol sergeant; other cities, such as Miami, also moved to supply patrol officers, not just SWAT teams, with heavier firepower. LAPD patrol vehicles now carry AR-15s as standard issue, with bullet-resistant Kevlar plating in their doors as well. Proven criminals can and do ignore laws and leave the law abiding defenseless. Police saw the need for better guns but deny them to law abiding citizens while criminals laugh at the stupidity.
And ...what's your point? Why don't you tell us something we don't know

Portage, MI

#106952 May 7, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
You and Ahomana are the same person.
spocko

Oakland, CA

#106953 May 7, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh? Okay ... so what's your point Einstein?
GoGoBar

Thailand

#106954 May 7, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>you got that right the keyword you said is "Depend" just like the Welfare people here in the US that depend on the Federal Government and the rest of us taxpayer to provide.
Well Australia lobbied the world community for permission to produce a nuclear weapons deterrent capability, but instead signed the NPT under the assurance that our treaties with allies would place us under the defense umbrella.

A good thing too as our neighbours to the north would have had to arm themselves accordingly, perhaps with different allies.

Our military capability has the ability to interdict any attack on our soveriegnty. I recall one white paper that concluded that only the USA had the military resources to subjegate Australia without nuclear weapons.

Glandore, Australia

#106955 May 7, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, I'm only telling it a cowardly piece of shite that wants to talk about things they have no real knowledge of.
Ok you centrelink bum, Now stick your hand out and wish for more free stuff at the expense of your fellow countrymen's hard work. They owe you that, right? You deserve it! LMAO
Your just pissed because, YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

Portage, MI

#106957 May 7, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Your just pissed because, YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
Ahahaha why you mad Ahole? Just cause you got bitch slapped around in here today? Figured you'd be used to losing by now, but you still get angry and lose your cool every single time.

All too easy when dealing with primitive species such as yourself. Just try not to freak out and cannibalize anyone, Ahole. You know you're already waaay overweight, go eat some veggies instead of people every now and then. It's good for you. Ahahahahahahahahah

Location hidden

#106958 May 7, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
that is the point you made my valid point about the thinking down under.

Location hidden

#106959 May 7, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
and another thing you don't always have a valid point just on some things I can agree as valid.

Portage, MI

#106960 May 7, 2013
Ahomana is so fat that she sweats butter. She's probably too busy eating SPAM to reply just yet. Give her a few minutes.
Larry

Belmont, Australia

#106961 May 7, 2013
What I have to say is that I hope that common sense prevails and gun control measures come about.

Some of the arguments of the pro gun peoples are amongst the most outrageous of things I've heard.

Things like guns are ok because people die in car accidents or down at the beach also. Like seriously, We know it can be risky taking a dip at the beach, or driving a motor car that's why we swim in safe places in good conditions and obey life guard directions etc. We know that motor cars can be dangerous, that's why there are road rules and speed limits, air bags and seat belts.

I think that buying ammunition should be closely monitored and that when applying for a gun license there should be a cooling off period, which serves to provide a buffer for instances where a gun may be required for something not all above board and lunatic in nature, unfortunately it does happen.

I really hope that the US does put in place some significant control measures. It would be great to see.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News One dead after car plows into group of proteste... 1 min Galt 240
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Yeah 1,582,076
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 min Dwight Dickum 26,389
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 min Science 222,250
News Democrat 'incredibly frustrated' with leader ov... 3 min CodeTalker 7
News Dems risk culture war fight in Charlottesville ... 3 min Dee Dee Dee 59
News Monument madness a leftist cover to crumble Ame... 10 min RustyS 13
News Dear Trump Voters: The 1950's Aren't Coming Back 10 min Katrina 1,447
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 14 min ImPeach 287,603
More from around the web