It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103299 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Since: Dec 10

North Adelaide, Australia

#104332 Apr 12, 2013
HollybytheSea wrote:
<quoted text>When has the US ever sold Australia out? Who's the dumb one now? Bazinga!!!!
If you can't see the USA selling weapons to Hussein and then using lies and media cover ups against their allies to get them to aid them in going to war...you are too stupid to live and don't you dare call yourself an Australian....you don't have the intelligence....you are probably a Yankee drop off...feck off back where you belong traitor...

You are too stupid for words, go get the list of things in my last post to you and then google them you Aussie wannabe.

#104333 Apr 12, 2013
Natty Bumppo wrote:
<quoted text>
This bullshit from a countryman that willing gave up their weapons to a government that demanded they do so. I had more admiration for Australia than that. It will never happen in the US. We had one revolution, we can have another. The tremendous crime we have in the US stems mainly from the minority communities. The blacks and the hispanics account for 90% of the violent crime in our country. The police cannot protect you--you need to learn how to protect yourself, which is why we will never be disarmed.
Hey, most of us never had weapons to give up and those that were given up were old or broken...the minority of Australians who owned guns kept them... so firstly go get educated it would help in confusing facts with bullshit....Our government had a buy back scheme and they introduced laws that made weapons only suitable to a war zone illegal...We supported our government in this endeavor because unlike America we are not a country that breeds violence and mayhem where they access all kinds of weapons just to go to school or the cinema....who's the one giving up their freedoms here...those that can walk freely or those that are hampered with a weapon.....take your time, I am in no hurry...I know I am dealing with the yank mentality so I give you plenty of leeway, I am such a nice person and so patient too....
GoGoBar

Thailand

#104334 Apr 12, 2013
Natty Bumppo wrote:
<quoted text>
This bullshit from a countryman that willing gave up their weapons to a government that demanded they do so. I had more admiration for Australia than that. It will never happen in the US. We had one revolution, we can have another. The tremendous crime we have in the US stems mainly from the minority communities. The blacks and the hispanics account for 90% of the violent crime in our country. The police cannot protect you--you need to learn how to protect yourself, which is why we will never be disarmed.
Policy conclusions from one of Americas foremost gun researchers.

Therefore, the significance of the few gun control measures found to be effective should not be overlooked. There is empirical support for some moderate gun controls. I favor a national "instant records check," which would screen for high-risk gun buyers similar to owner license and purchase permit systems, but without the delays and arbitrary administration which sometimes characterizes those controls. The system should cover nondealer transactions as well as dealer sales, and apply to rifles and shotguns, as well as handguns. Also, tighter licensing of gun dealers and increased enforcement of carry laws may be useful.

Gun control is a very minor, though not entirely irrelevant, part of the solution to the violence problem, just as guns are of only very minor significance as a cause of the problem. The U.S. has more violence than other nations for reasons unrelated to its extraordinarily high gun ownership. Fixating on guns seems to be, for many people, a fetish which allows them to ignore the more intransigent causes of American violence, including its dying cities, inequality, deteriorating family structure, and the all- pervasive economic and social consequences of a history of slavery and racism. And just as gun control serves this purpose for liberals, equally useless "get tough" proposals, like longer prison terms, mandatory sentencing, and more use of the death penalty serve the purpose for conservatives. All parties to the crime debate would do well to give more concentrated attention to more difficult, but far more relevant, issues like how to generate more good-paying jobs for the underclass which is at the heart of the violence problem

#104335 Apr 12, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not David, but thanks for the compliment.
Well that clearly tells me you are...too easy.
sid

Chermside, Australia

#104336 Apr 12, 2013
Natty Bumppo wrote:
<quoted text>
No wonder you are all so paranoid, you've turned your country into a fcuking war zone.

Since: Feb 13

United States

#104337 Apr 12, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, most of us never had weapons to give up and those that were given up were old or broken...the minority of Australians who owned guns kept them... so firstly go get educated it would help in confusing facts with bullshit....Our government had a buy back scheme and they introduced laws that made weapons only suitable to a war zone illegal...We supported our government in this endeavor because unlike America we are not a country that breeds violence and mayhem where they access all kinds of weapons just to go to school or the cinema....who's the one giving up their freedoms here...those that can walk freely or those that are hampered with a weapon.....take your time, I am in no hurry...I know I am dealing with the yank mentality so I give you plenty of leeway, I am such a nice person and so patient too....
I walk freely everyday, anywhere I want to go, and without a gun.
You really are stupid if you think americans dont walk around freely without guns. You watch too much westerns, and yankee tv. Looks like you're liveing in a fantasy world.
Tell me, and be honest for once, are you doors and windows locked?
Mine arent, in matter of fact, my front door is standing wide open right now, gf and kid are in the upstairs bedroom asleep.
Are your car doors locked?
Mine arent, the windows are even down.
Would you go out, alone, at midnight, and walk you city parks walking trail?
I do. And sometimes my gf does too, alone.
GoGoBar

Thailand

#104338 Apr 12, 2013
sid wrote:
<quoted text>
No wonder you are all so paranoid, you've turned your country into a fcuking war zone.
Noooo! War zones are safer.
More US citizens are murdered with firearms in ONE year in the USA than the combined Coalition forces in the Afganistan and Iraq wars since 9/11.
sid

Chermside, Australia

#104339 Apr 12, 2013
Come to think of it, that's your problem, your country is in a perpetual state of war, war on drugs, war on want, war on terrorists, war on illegal immigrants, war on communism, war on poverty. Has there ever been a period in americas history when it hasn't been busy fighting a war of it own or someone else's or starting a war somewhere, now you are at war with each other.
Bob Carr

Thailand

#104340 Apr 12, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Lies.
There were 4 million guns and 17 million people in Australia in 1996... so seems like a few people had guns.

The guns that were handed in were not broken, the government paid appropriate amounts of money for each gun that was handed in and most were compensated the full amount for each weapon.

Shooting is a popular sport here and is getting more popular.
Its the anti-gun fruit cakes that are a small but whiney minority.
Even people that dont own guns here dont have any strong opinions on gun ownership.
GoGoBar

Thailand

#104341 Apr 12, 2013
sid wrote:
Come to think of it, that's your problem, your country is in a perpetual state of war, war on drugs, war on want, war on terrorists, war on illegal immigrants, war on communism, war on poverty. Has there ever been a period in americas history when it hasn't been busy fighting a war of it own or someone else's or starting a war somewhere, now you are at war with each other.
Ye4ah, but the answer is for everyone to carry a glock and a bushmaster ar15 then nobody will get hurt. Just like in Yemen.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#104342 Apr 12, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
If you can't see the USA selling weapons to Hussein and then using lies and media cover ups against their allies to get them to aid them in going to war...you are too stupid to live and don't you dare call yourself an Australian....you don't have the intelligence....you are probably a Yankee drop off...feck off back where you belong traitor...
You are too stupid for words, go get the list of things in my last post to you and then google them you Aussie wannabe.
I never clained to be anything so feck off yourself Stupid..

#104343 Apr 12, 2013
crawlfish wrote:
<quoted text>I walk freely everyday, anywhere I want to go, and without a gun.
You really are stupid if you think americans dont walk around freely without guns. You watch too much westerns, and yankee tv. Looks like you're liveing in a fantasy world.
Tell me, and be honest for once, are you doors and windows locked?
Mine arent, in matter of fact, my front door is standing wide open right now, gf and kid are in the upstairs bedroom asleep.
Are your car doors locked?
Mine arent, the windows are even down.
Would you go out, alone, at midnight, and walk you city parks walking trail?
I do. And sometimes my gf does too, alone.
So if you locked your doors and windows...you would empower yourself and not need a gun...and you choose to have unlocked doors and a gun....you people are truly nutty as fruitcakes....you could deter a burglar with a screen that harms no one and no, you choose the violent alternative....way to go Billy Bobs. What if everyone is sleeping what if you are ill what if etc....all these things would affect your response with a gun....a screen does not get tired or sick or whatever....it works around the clock and needs no more expense than the initial layout if you buy the right ones....OMG and when I thought it wasn't possible to have a lower IQ...you have outdone yourselves.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#104344 Apr 12, 2013
<claimed to be>

#104345 Apr 12, 2013
HollybytheSea wrote:
<quoted text>I never clained to be anything so feck off yourself Stupid..
No but you have declared yourself an ill educated idiot.

United States

#104346 Apr 12, 2013
sid wrote:
Have you ever been to america? Or do you get all your info from tv? Aren't you indian?
You wouldnt believe at some of the things shown here in america about india, but we have enough sense to know that that isnt all of india.
I would think you'd have enough sense too to realize that tht isnt all america.
But, you and I both know that it doesnt matter, you just have a bone to pick with america because you come from a nation that is riddled with its own humongous problems. what a better way to forget the failings of your own country then to focus on someone else's?
No here, yankees included, has said america was a perfect country.
Most of you american haters are envious and jealous. I know you want admit it, you dont have to, it all comes out in your text and you dont even realize it.
You know, when I first came to this forum I defended India and indians, but now, Im afraid I was wrong, the aussies were right. You people are a bunch of losers, haters at anything that is better then you (which is basically.......everything). You have some nerve, when rape is an accepted behavior, even taught at a young age, n your society. There's alot more I can mention, but I wont, not yet anyway.
I guess what Im saying sid is this, sweep the floor of your own country before you attempt to sweep mine, deal?

United States

#104347 Apr 12, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
Noooo! War zones are safer.
More US citizens are murdered with firearms in ONE year in the USA than the combined Coalition forces in the Afganistan and Iraq wars since 9/11.
While you're throwning out stats why dont you tell us how many children are molested, sold into sex slavery, abused, in your country? Also, give us the stats on how many you have used.
sid

Chermside, Australia

#104349 Apr 12, 2013
crawlfish wrote:
<quoted text>Have you ever been to america? Or do you get all your info from tv? Aren't you indian?
You wouldnt believe at some of the things shown here in america about india, but we have enough sense to know that that isnt all of india.
I would think you'd have enough sense too to realize that tht isnt all america.
But, you and I both know that it doesnt matter, you just have a bone to pick with america because you come from a nation that is riddled with its own humongous problems. what a better way to forget the failings of your own country then to focus on someone else's?
No here, yankees included, has said america was a perfect country.
Most of you american haters are envious and jealous. I know you want admit it, you dont have to, it all comes out in your text and you dont even realize it.
You know, when I first came to this forum I defended India and indians, but now, Im afraid I was wrong, the aussies were right. You people are a bunch of losers, haters at anything that is better then you (which is basically.......everything). You have some nerve, when rape is an accepted behavior, even taught at a young age, n your society. There's alot more I can mention, but I wont, not yet anyway.
I guess what Im saying sid is this, sweep the floor of your own country before you attempt to sweep mine, deal?
I am not indian, 5th generation australian, but I agree with you about indians.

United States

#104350 Apr 12, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
So if you locked your doors and windows...you would empower yourself and not need a gun...and you choose to have unlocked doors and a gun....you people are truly nutty as fruitcakes....you could deter a burglar with a screen that harms no one and no, you choose the violent alternative....way to go Billy Bobs. What if everyone is sleeping what if you are ill what if etc....all these things would affect your response with a gun....a screen does not get tired or sick or whatever....it works around the clock and needs no more expense than the initial layout if you buy the right ones....OMG and when I thought it wasn't possible to have a lower IQ...you have outdone yourselves.
You have got to be the most STUPID person I have ever encountered. Im makeing a point to your dumb ass that america is not all unsafe. But you were too dumb to see that.
But since you didnt answer my question, by not answering you actuall did. You're doors are locked, your car doors are locked, and youre afraid to walk at midnight in your city parks walking trail.
What are you afraid of? Acording to you, australia is the safest place on earth.
I have my doors open bc I chose to, I dont like enclosed places, and if anyone enters unwanted, I shoot to kill.
You see, this is my home, my family, and as it stands now, I have the right to protect them at any means I see fit.
And that is exactly what I will do.
If that makes me nutty as a fruitcake, so be it.
Now, go doublelatch your windows and doors in that safe neighborhood you live in.
sid

Chermside, Australia

#104351 Apr 12, 2013
sorry 6th generation, english and scotish.
GoGoBar

Thailand

#104352 Apr 12, 2013
crawlfish wrote:
<quoted text>While you're throwning out stats why dont you tell us how many children are molested, sold into sex slavery, abused, in your country? Also, give us the stats on how many you have used.
It is all bottoms with you bottomfeeders.
Be a man and get a proper online persona.
Well, do that when you grow up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News King's legacy celebrated as Trump, Lewis duel l... 1 min Barros 192
News As anger over election of Donald Trump erupts, ... 1 min slick willie expl... 4,365
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Grey Ghost 1,479,541
News Can Democrats learn to fight fire with fire? 5 min Le Jimbo 38
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 6 min Just call me ABE 2 256,342
News Specter of Lyndon Johnson haunts Trump 9 min The Real Donald T... 40
News Woman sues Trump in New York for defamation ove... 12 min The Real Donald T... 10
News Hillary Clinton won US popular vote by nearly 2... 40 min Just Think 1,092
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... (May '16) 42 min protestthis 17,754
More from around the web