It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103292 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Since: Jan 11

Australia

#104318 Apr 12, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
... by law anything in that house she has the right to allow anyone access to and that includes the law .....
No, where guns are involved apparently not.

Consider this: While the legitimate gun owner is absent a home invasion might involve demand for guns. An unlicensed person should not have the knowledge or key to provide a criminal that access.

If the unlicensed person can allow police to access, then they can allow access to an offender likewise.

Proper security does not make such action possible.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#104319 Apr 12, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
That is pure nonsense there are gun owners on both sides of the fence who support gun rights as well as oppose them...so you are coming from a very bigoted one eyed fanatical stance.....
You're right....the freedom and liberty side. Being a govt sycophant, you would have the foggiest idea what that is. May your chains wear lightly.

Southeast Virginia

#104320 Apr 12, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
That is pure nonsense there are gun owners on both sides of the fence who support gun rights as well as oppose them...so you are coming from a very bigoted one eyed fanatical stance.....
And the gun owners on the gun control side of the argument tend to be the ones who believe that THEY are the only ones who should have them.(Feinstein, Boxer, Reid, et al.....cal your office)
Bob Carr

Thailand

#104321 Apr 12, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
At least I can say am Australian, troll!
Oh yeah you're a fat single mother who live off welfare supplied by the tax payers who spends her day typing her worthless brainless thoughts online, while breeding more useless kids to be just like you.

You are an excellent example of why certain people shouldnt have kids.

It will be great when welfare is cut for sponges like you. Either work or starve, that would be a great policy.

People like you cost Australian billions and for what ? just to keep another middle ages fat ugly single mother alive. Such a complete waste of money.

The west wont be able to afford sacks of shit like you for much longer and Asian nations certainly dont provide welfare for their fat useless single "mothers".
Sir Bucking Fastard

UK

#104322 Apr 12, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually most are like me intelligent, sassy, and a pure joy...and then there are those that aren't Aussies, just claiming to be, like you.
No, that's NOT true, NOT true at all!

Most Aussies are NOT BLOATED WARTHOGS like you, oh INVIDIOUS, THUNDER THIGHS QUEEN OF STINK!
:-))

Southeast Virginia

#104323 Apr 12, 2013
"wouldn't have"

Since: Dec 10

North Adelaide, Australia

#104324 Apr 12, 2013
Sir Bucking Fastard wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that's NOT true, NOT true at all!
Most Aussies are NOT BLOATED WARTHOGS like you, oh INVIDIOUS, THUNDER THIGHS QUEEN OF STINK!
:-))
Now where is Tray to witness me RESPONDING to abuse initiated by a pig? It is truly sad when you have nothing of note to say that you have to fall back on your southern back wood, red necked, abusive ignorance, eh Billy bob!...

#104325 Apr 12, 2013
Bob Carr wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yeah you're a fat single mother who live off welfare supplied by the tax payers who spends her day typing her worthless brainless thoughts online, while breeding more useless kids to be just like you.
You are an excellent example of why certain people shouldnt have kids.
It will be great when welfare is cut for sponges like you. Either work or starve, that would be a great policy.
People like you cost Australian billions and for what ? just to keep another middle ages fat ugly single mother alive. Such a complete waste of money.
The west wont be able to afford sacks of shit like you for much longer and Asian nations certainly dont provide welfare for their fat useless single "mothers".
Is Tray still monitoring the abuse being initiated (not by me) but by an ill educated gnat who roots his livestock because he lacks the basic social skills to interact with humans.

#104326 Apr 12, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right....the freedom and liberty side. Being a govt sycophant, you would have the foggiest idea what that is. May your chains wear lightly.
Sycophant, is that you David?

Southeast Virginia

#104327 Apr 12, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Sycophant, is that you David?
I am not David, but thanks for the compliment.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#104328 Apr 12, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes explain exactly what makes the US and Australia friends dumb Holly....is it when they where going after BIN LADEN because our PM was only informed after the fact..or when they lied to their allies to get into Iraq ...or was it when they collaborated with the Germans in WW2, you are no Australian if you don't even understand the key to Australian mate ship and friendship is the basic one of loyalty...the yanks don't have it....they will sell any of their allies out to the highest bidder...or was it when they sold WMDs to Hussein for use against Iran? Stop sounding as dumb as you seem....
When has the US ever sold Australia out? Who's the dumb one now? Bazinga!!!!

Since: Feb 13

United States

#104329 Apr 12, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
If you mean are they so not like yanks who are paranoid freakin' idiots, who have a gun in every cupboard, but that the majority of AUSTRALIANS( minus the freaks and trolls like Holly BTS) have the strength and educated intelligence to speak their mind against any and all insanity and speak up for those less able to, and a belief and dedication to mate ship and loyalty above all else....Yeah buddy!
It must be a awful sad lonely life you live, to have to brag on yourself because theres no one else to do it for you. You're a legend in your own mind arent you? LMAO

#104331 Apr 12, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
okaaaay...now how about answering the question?
I have, but it is not like you or any of your dumb Yankee brethren (by the support shown) have the intelligence enough to understand the written word else you would not need to ask it again....bummer you are dumb.

#104332 Apr 12, 2013
HollybytheSea wrote:
<quoted text>When has the US ever sold Australia out? Who's the dumb one now? Bazinga!!!!
If you can't see the USA selling weapons to Hussein and then using lies and media cover ups against their allies to get them to aid them in going to war...you are too stupid to live and don't you dare call yourself an Australian....you don't have the intelligence....you are probably a Yankee drop off...feck off back where you belong traitor...

You are too stupid for words, go get the list of things in my last post to you and then google them you Aussie wannabe.

#104333 Apr 12, 2013
Natty Bumppo wrote:
<quoted text>
This bullshit from a countryman that willing gave up their weapons to a government that demanded they do so. I had more admiration for Australia than that. It will never happen in the US. We had one revolution, we can have another. The tremendous crime we have in the US stems mainly from the minority communities. The blacks and the hispanics account for 90% of the violent crime in our country. The police cannot protect you--you need to learn how to protect yourself, which is why we will never be disarmed.
Hey, most of us never had weapons to give up and those that were given up were old or broken...the minority of Australians who owned guns kept them... so firstly go get educated it would help in confusing facts with bullshit....Our government had a buy back scheme and they introduced laws that made weapons only suitable to a war zone illegal...We supported our government in this endeavor because unlike America we are not a country that breeds violence and mayhem where they access all kinds of weapons just to go to school or the cinema....who's the one giving up their freedoms here...those that can walk freely or those that are hampered with a weapon.....take your time, I am in no hurry...I know I am dealing with the yank mentality so I give you plenty of leeway, I am such a nice person and so patient too....
GoGoBar

Thailand

#104334 Apr 12, 2013
Natty Bumppo wrote:
<quoted text>
This bullshit from a countryman that willing gave up their weapons to a government that demanded they do so. I had more admiration for Australia than that. It will never happen in the US. We had one revolution, we can have another. The tremendous crime we have in the US stems mainly from the minority communities. The blacks and the hispanics account for 90% of the violent crime in our country. The police cannot protect you--you need to learn how to protect yourself, which is why we will never be disarmed.
Policy conclusions from one of Americas foremost gun researchers.

Therefore, the significance of the few gun control measures found to be effective should not be overlooked. There is empirical support for some moderate gun controls. I favor a national "instant records check," which would screen for high-risk gun buyers similar to owner license and purchase permit systems, but without the delays and arbitrary administration which sometimes characterizes those controls. The system should cover nondealer transactions as well as dealer sales, and apply to rifles and shotguns, as well as handguns. Also, tighter licensing of gun dealers and increased enforcement of carry laws may be useful.

Gun control is a very minor, though not entirely irrelevant, part of the solution to the violence problem, just as guns are of only very minor significance as a cause of the problem. The U.S. has more violence than other nations for reasons unrelated to its extraordinarily high gun ownership. Fixating on guns seems to be, for many people, a fetish which allows them to ignore the more intransigent causes of American violence, including its dying cities, inequality, deteriorating family structure, and the all- pervasive economic and social consequences of a history of slavery and racism. And just as gun control serves this purpose for liberals, equally useless "get tough" proposals, like longer prison terms, mandatory sentencing, and more use of the death penalty serve the purpose for conservatives. All parties to the crime debate would do well to give more concentrated attention to more difficult, but far more relevant, issues like how to generate more good-paying jobs for the underclass which is at the heart of the violence problem

#104335 Apr 12, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not David, but thanks for the compliment.
Well that clearly tells me you are...too easy.
sid

Chermside, Australia

#104336 Apr 12, 2013
Natty Bumppo wrote:
<quoted text>
No wonder you are all so paranoid, you've turned your country into a fcuking war zone.

Since: Feb 13

United States

#104337 Apr 12, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, most of us never had weapons to give up and those that were given up were old or broken...the minority of Australians who owned guns kept them... so firstly go get educated it would help in confusing facts with bullshit....Our government had a buy back scheme and they introduced laws that made weapons only suitable to a war zone illegal...We supported our government in this endeavor because unlike America we are not a country that breeds violence and mayhem where they access all kinds of weapons just to go to school or the cinema....who's the one giving up their freedoms here...those that can walk freely or those that are hampered with a weapon.....take your time, I am in no hurry...I know I am dealing with the yank mentality so I give you plenty of leeway, I am such a nice person and so patient too....
I walk freely everyday, anywhere I want to go, and without a gun.
You really are stupid if you think americans dont walk around freely without guns. You watch too much westerns, and yankee tv. Looks like you're liveing in a fantasy world.
Tell me, and be honest for once, are you doors and windows locked?
Mine arent, in matter of fact, my front door is standing wide open right now, gf and kid are in the upstairs bedroom asleep.
Are your car doors locked?
Mine arent, the windows are even down.
Would you go out, alone, at midnight, and walk you city parks walking trail?
I do. And sometimes my gf does too, alone.
GoGoBar

Thailand

#104338 Apr 12, 2013
sid wrote:
<quoted text>
No wonder you are all so paranoid, you've turned your country into a fcuking war zone.
Noooo! War zones are safer.
More US citizens are murdered with firearms in ONE year in the USA than the combined Coalition forces in the Afganistan and Iraq wars since 9/11.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 1 min Edthirty 46,496
News US Sen. Elizabeth Warren gets 2nd turn as comic... 1 min RustyS 2
News Many Christian conservatives are backing Alabam... 1 min DR X 1,369
News Roy Moore vehemently denies sexual misconduct 2 min DR X 115
News Trump should resign amid sexual assault claims:... 3 min bottlecap 14
News White House will override Obama's climate plan 4 min Into The Night 1,582
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min BlueFlag 1,657,365
News Trump accusers call for congressional investiga... 10 min RustyS 83
More from around the web