It's the Guns, Stupid

Apr 20, 2007 Full story: Truthdig 103,347

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Full Story
GoGoBar

Thailand

#102051 Mar 5, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
What you need is a persona, add some details and documents that pass screening,,,it's not difficult.
You are a thing!
Passive aggressive nobody shift wanker!
Useless dog.

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Since: Jan 11

Collingwood, Australia

#102052 Mar 5, 2013
Mojo wrote:
<quoted text>wheres the hate precious? It seeths inside of you which is obvious, get the therapy you urgently need, think of it as recieving attention which should be an excellent motivater what with your definate munchausen syndrome & possible aspergers syndrome, dont forget to mention your continued & failed attempts at projecting & your hysteria over a post,#201 apparently, a feeble mind affected by a post someone has written. LMAO
You yourself tick all the boxes, Mofo. Everything you say here is so projected that even your projection is projected. What's your problem ... quiet day at the Asylum?

Collingwood, Australia

#102053 Mar 5, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
Waffle.
spider1954 wrote:
More waffle.
Goodness! Not one 'waffle' but two!

That must rate as a "Polly Waffle®"!!

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#102054 Mar 5, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
lol! Dessicated or desecrated?
Or one of each?:)
Just desicated with a cup of tea perhaps, then everything is right with the world.....:)

Perth, Australia

#102055 Mar 5, 2013
Heather from LI wrote:
You guys are still talking bout the N-word? You must be guilty of something if it bothers you this much. There is nothing wrong with freedom of speech.
No there isn't, but freedom of speech comes with responsibility and a brain to mouth filter some of us have it some of us don't and some idiots think freedom of speech means they should have no boundaries even when they know they purposely hurt others in a manner which is cruel and degrading...grow up....at least if you intend to insult someone don't blame that on anything but ignorance and a lack of compassion.

Perth, Australia

#102056 Mar 5, 2013
FYI wrote:
<quoted text>YOU ARE A RACIST!! Regards
Yes I am.

Perth, Australia

#102057 Mar 5, 2013
Guppy wrote:
OK - I was reading about the pope today. He had to move into a temporary house whilst they are renovating the usual pope residence. That means - his/their decision was made on the spur of the moment. He didn't get deathly ill over night, so, what happened to make him quit?
Had to be something really bad. I hope it comes out.
The belief is that he wanted to tackle the corruption that is rife in the vatical and some evil cardinal took offence to that and ganged up on him with his mates and blocked every initiative the pope had to enable him to do his job.....it came to and empasse and the pope could no longer govern with the support and backing of his cardinals.....that is the rumour.The Popes butler was on charges of theft a few months back, it seems he stole some inflamatory papers that attest to the above rumours and he said he did so the help the Pope....I believe the charges were dropped....

Collingwood, Australia

#102059 Mar 5, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Just desicated with a cup of tea perhaps, then everything is right with the world.....:)
Dessicated it is, then. Done!:)

(the "Mojo" will no doubt be mollified)
http://www.topix.com/forum/world/australia/TI...

Perth, Australia

#102060 Mar 5, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
Be there at 10am on the dot, nom nom.:)

Collingwood, Australia

#102061 Mar 5, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Be there at 10am on the dot, nom nom.:)
Also done!:)

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#102062 Mar 5, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
Are there Raspberry ones?

Perth, Australia

#102063 Mar 5, 2013

Collingwood, Australia

#102064 Mar 5, 2013
HollybytheSea wrote:
<quoted text>Are there Raspberry ones?
Indeed there are!:)
http://tinyurl.com/azretar
http://tinyurl.com/adn48sh
trev

Geelong, Australia

#102066 Mar 5, 2013
let me repeat using caps to help you understand, the gun crime statistics were ALREADY declining BEFORE the buyback. There has been NO significant change in this downward trend, even with MORE guns owned now. The same trend has merely continued from the 70s.
One can therefore assume that despite 1 billion of tax payers money being spent, there has been nothing achieved.

That money would have been better spent on mental health programs and other initiatives to stop the wrong people from getting their hands on guns, not to mention better targetting of the illegal gun trade.
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
In austalia, guns were removed as part of howards buyback in 1996 - there has been no significant change to the already declining rate of gun related homicides that started well before the buyback.
A: that alone should tell you gun control is working.
In fact there are more guns owned now than before 96 yet the rate is still falling! If I were to use your simplistic logic, I could therefore say more guns = less gun crime??????
A: No that would be illogical.
You should be more worried about knives - have a look at the crime statistics......
A: Well to tell you the truth I am always worried about deaths by any weapon but this is a gun debate ...and a person with a knife could not have killed 28 people at once, as was the case in Sandy hook....so one must pick their battles....Start a knew thread on knives if you like.

Location hidden

#102067 Mar 5, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed there are!:)
http://tinyurl.com/azretar
http://tinyurl.com/adn48sh
Those look they're to die for. Thank you for the links.:)

Location hidden

#102068 Mar 5, 2013
[like they're to die for]

Perth, Australia

#102069 Mar 5, 2013
trev wrote:
let me repeat using caps to help you understand, the gun crime statistics were ALREADY declining BEFORE the buyback. There has been NO significant change in this downward trend, even with MORE guns owned now. The same trend has merely continued from the 70s.
One can therefore assume that despite 1 billion of tax payers money being spent, there has been nothing achieved.
That money would have been better spent on mental health programs and other initiatives to stop the wrong people from getting their hands on guns, not to mention better targetting of the illegal gun trade.
<quoted text>
But here’s the most stunning statistic. In the decade before the Port Arthur massacre, there had been 11 mass shootings in the country. There hasn’t been a single one in Australia since. If that is not enough to convince you of the effectiveness of Howards buyback read on....

http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2012/12/16/g...

Collingwood, Australia

#102070 Mar 5, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
LMAO!! Classic!!

Ahomana, I think you know by now that our respective stances on guns and gun control are diametrically opposed. No hard feelings.

There's plenty else in life to talk about.

Regarding the Gun Debate though, there are Bozos on both sides. Neither do their cause a whole lot of good. The "Kenneth" in the blog you referenced is hardly a prize advocate. Fortunately he is no more the face of gun ownership than others may choose to make him.

By now all the stereotyped arguments from both sides have been volleyed back & forth until the felt has worn off. I doubt that anyone here, myself included, can come up with an ingenious breakthrough that's going to change the whole ballgame one iota.

It's one of those issues that seethes with covert agendas and vested interests.

If ever there were a situation where the expression "let cooler heads prevail" should apply, it should apply here.

And talking of cooler heads, I digress for an anecdote:

Back in the days when Howard's first foray into the controversy began, a TV debate on either "Insight" or a sibling series gathered Gun Ownership Advocates and Anti-gun Ownership advocates in the same studio for televising.

The 'Gunners'(for short) were of average Aussie Battler appearance, jeans, Lumber Jackets, beards and peaked or broad-brimmed hats on some. In appearance a maverick un-polished lot.

The Anti-gunners were more your average urban types, smart-casual, some in suits & ties and groomed hair. Public Servant looking types mostly.

Each group was seated separately on its assigned side of the centre aisle.

I must admit that I had expected any hot-headedness to come mainly from the "bushy" looking types. I was not at all prepared for what followed.

As the debate unfolded the "Gunners" kept their cool and debated in unexpectedly controlled and measured demeanor that never slipped ... firm but calm.

By contrast the "Anti-gunners" became progressively more imposing and menacing in their manner, ramping inexorably up to behavior that ended up disorderly and in several cases downright feral! Leaping to their feet, finger-jabbing the air at their opposition, shaking clenched fists ... the camera even caught one in a Sunday suit casting glowering glances at the camera with hate-filled eyes that to this day I will never forget.

The two groups were as different as Jekyl & Hyde.

If I remember rightly several calls for order ended in the meeting being cut short a little before it was scheduled to end.

You might shrug this anecdotal description off as exaggeration in service of my own alignment.

Not so. Not so at all.

I was quite taken aback at seeing something unfold exactly contrary to my expectation.

I feel no doubt looking back that if those "Anti-gunners" had in fact been armed the air in that Studio would have been thick with lead before the meeting was half over. They seemed to have no impulse control.

I share this now, because we often see Anti-gun Advocates seeking to portray themselves collectively as the proverbial "voice of reason" with an in-built monopoly on calm and rational debate. Whereas the events I witnessed persuaded me that at least many "Anti-gunners" are in precisely their rightful status ... unarmed and not fit to be armed.

Gun ownership should not be denied those who know how to respect that responsibility. Background checks and other measures are in place already. Those are not enforced enough. Gun owners are being scapegoated for negligence shown not by themselves but by those charged with responsibility to enforce existing legislation/s.

Imposing new measures is useless if all that does is open up new areas for neglect of enforcement.

Perth, Australia

#102071 Mar 5, 2013
trev wrote:
<quoted text>
PS: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/toughe...

Perth, Australia

#102072 Mar 5, 2013
trev wrote:
<quoted text>
And there is this.....Debunking the bullshit propaganda and false information put out by gun clubs......http://guncontrol.o rg.au/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'The War Is Not Over' (Sep '06) 3 min John_Schuylkill C... 276,535
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Bluestater 1,111,087
Democrats Urge First Lady to Hit the Trail 6 min Obama Bad 17
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 7 min Commietator 154,281
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 12 min anonymous 56,057
Obama scores coalition victory with Arab strikes 13 min Obama Bad 1
Hillary Clinton Faces Skeptical Iowa Voters 19 min serfs up 412
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 34 min Wondering 283
Who do you side with in Ferguson? 1 hr R12 Freon 4,546
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 2 hr Brian_G 263,487
•••

US News People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••