It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103311 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Since: Feb 11

Chatteris, UK

#100389 Feb 19, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
"The cupboard is bare"? At this writing it probably is ... NOW.:)
Quit waffeling and get on with it.

Since: Feb 11

Chatteris, UK

#100390 Feb 19, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
No! I did respond to most of his posts, he just didn't appreciate the recipe I sent that proved my point so he kept wasting my time with nonsense....I liken him to a retard rather than a brainiac.
Yes you do reply to most of the post's I direct at you and I likewise in return,,it did however seem rather convenient that you neglected that particular post when you were so obviously annoyed that you were wrong.

The recipe was great , exactly the same as the one in my book.

Funny how you resort to name calling, swearing and insults when your struggling.
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#100392 Feb 19, 2013
Guppy wrote:
First he hits her in the head with a cricket bat. That doesn't do the job, so he pulls out his gun and chases her to the bathroom. She must have been terrified.
Just think. If she had a gun, he would be dead and she would be in big trouble, even though he started it.
Another thing. She was a pretty girl. What was she doing with HIM?
Actually she did have a gun --- kept it in her purse. So now you friggen retarded gun-a-holics are suggesting we all should wear a shoulder holster in our own home?!!
Brit Expat

Villevieille, France

#100393 Feb 19, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually she did have a gun --- kept it in her purse. So now you friggen retarded gun-a-holics are suggesting we all should wear a shoulder holster in our own home?!!
Hillarious! A gun a day keeps the quacks happy.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#100394 Feb 19, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only do you seem to hate women bur you hate everyone, unless they go around gunning down others - we need gun control to protect you from yourself - yemoron!
Pure projection on your part...nothing more. I hate no one.

Southeast Virginia

#100395 Feb 19, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
so you killed her?
You truly are a POS.

Southeast Virginia

#100396 Feb 19, 2013
SHARMOOR wrote:
india will lead the world.
racists must be castrated
How very racist of you.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#100397 Feb 19, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you do reply to most of the post's I direct at you and I likewise in return,,it did however seem rather convenient that you neglected that particular post when you were so obviously annoyed that you were wrong.
The recipe was great , exactly the same as the one in my book.
Funny how you resort to name calling, swearing and insults when your struggling.
If I don't respond to your post it is because you become pedantic even when a point is proven ie: the fruit cake with nuts in it, you failed to take it's meaning where I was saying you are insane. Note it's origins which are British, assuming you are one. Maybe this will clear it up, as you don't seem to want to take the womens cookbook bible as gospel.
Please take note what it says before you respond as it proves beyond doubt that fruit cakes can and do include nuts.....:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit_cake
Guppy

Venice, FL

#100398 Feb 19, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
So much for carrying a gun.........Didn't do her any good, did it?

Shoulder holster in your own home? Who suggested that? I think that was your idea.

Perth, Australia

#100399 Feb 19, 2013
I watched Dateline last night and as much as I know Yanks love their guns it is like a nightmare to see to what lengths they go to to brainwash themselves and their kids...
The NRA has clearly lost the plot and has introduced guns in colours, pink for girls(so the boy won't touch them) and blue for boys. All those on this page that say how responsible gun owners are, haven't seen the woman that has a gun in her living room, kitchen draw, bathroom draw ,beside table (and while her hubby is away,) under her pillow. No lockers in sight, not safety anyone (even a child) can enter or go to the bathroom and grab a gun....way to go you gun toting lunatics. Check outthe gun fashion statements for women...you people are feckin' insane. Watch the video on the gun ho stupid Americans that supplied no statistics for the paranoia so seriously folks none of you should be able to get a gun you are all INSANE.

http://www.sbs.com.au/dateline/story/about/id...
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#100400 Feb 19, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
So much for carrying a gun.........Didn't do her any good, did it?
Shoulder holster in your own home? Who suggested that? I think that was your idea.
Nope, it's a question. Going by NRA logic that if anyone that has a gun can defend against any assault would require a gun on your person at all times - the shower might be a bit of a problem :-)
play in traffic GoGoBar

Medellín, Colombia

#100401 Feb 19, 2013
GoGoNar wrote:
Well basically, if 1/3 or 2/3 of Americans own guns for selfe defence.
Then why are the figures consistent for murder.
14000 murders (8775 by guns)
221 justifiable murders by firearms for defense,
Where is the arithmatic?
Shouldnt it be less murders and more Justifiable self defence by guns?
Stop repeating the same shit over and over.
Go and f/ucking die.
your the most annoying poster here by far.
Nobody ever agrees with what you say.

Perth, Australia

#100402 Feb 19, 2013
Oh, oh, and check out the woman who goes in to buy another gun(of which she already has four) it is only a small on and costs her $550, she should take a look in the mirror as the money could be better spent.

Lets now talk about how long it takes to do a background check at this store, five minutes and the gun is hers.
The guns can also be bought by people without a background check, note I said without a background check, where people can get anything from a colt to an assault weapon....
Well there it is folks Yanks and their bloody idiocy in all it's glory and they wonder why the sane think they are totally insane.....Yet another fashion statement they make is how good women can look in "camo gear" designed specifically for women and they actually think they have kept their femininity while hunting or skeet shooting....In a few words, NO, NO THEY HAVEN'T! what they look like is a bunch of rednecked, undefined sex, trogladites, nothing remotely resembling anything with a vagina.

Perth, Australia

#100403 Feb 19, 2013
I left out the place they can get just about any type of weapon, that is at gun shows and they wonder where the crims get their guns from....I have to ask seriously are these people for feckin' real, or is America just one big shoot em up spaghetti western?
die Ahoman you fat turd

Medellín, Colombia

#100404 Feb 19, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
I left out the place they can get just about any type of weapon, that is at gun shows and they wonder where the crims get their guns from....I have to ask seriously are these people for feckin' real, or is America just one big shoot em up spaghetti western?
another day spent living off taxpayers money while sitting on your fat disgusting arse telling other countries how to live.
Useless piece of scum you are, I really hope you get cancer and die and slow painful death.
Why should government money be sent to keep you alive ? its in nobodies interests to keep ugly fat trash like you.
Guppy

Venice, FL

#100405 Feb 19, 2013
The Dateline show said there are as many gun shops as there are drug stores.

That's just not true.

Is America just one big shoot em up spaghetti western? I think you know the answer to that.

Perth, Australia

#100407 Feb 19, 2013
ANOTHER GUNMAN GOES ON A RAMPAGE in AMERICA...yawn....serioulsly folks who is astounded by this? it is California,(they are all gun crazy nuts)keep fighting against stricter gun regulation Los Angeles, it is really working for ya!
The gunman opened fire on the freeway, that would be like shooting ducks in a barrel, if he had of beeb a good shot the death toll could have been higher! The evidence is mounting that men who own guns and are law abiders are more likely than not, of going postal because they INSANE with or without medication.

http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/bre91i0z1-us...

Perth, Australia

#100408 Feb 19, 2013
Guppy wrote:
The Dateline show said there are as many gun shops as there are drug stores.
That's just not true.
A: False. Actually it says "nearly" as many gun shops as drug stores, so they are right.

Is America just one big shoot em up spaghetti western? I think you know the answer to that.

A: Awwww let me think, is the answer YES?
Foo is from punjab

Noida, India

#100409 Feb 19, 2013
boring
THis thread should be about punjab and nothing else
Foo is from punjab

Noida, India

#100410 Feb 19, 2013
The Punjab (i/&#712;p&#652;nd &#658;&#593;&#720; b/ or /&#712;p&#652;nd&# 658;æb/; Punjabi: &#2602;&#2672;&#25 88;&#2622;&#2604;, &#1662;&#1606;&#15 80;&#1575;&#1576;), also spelled Panjab, panj-&#257;b, "five rivers",[1] is a geographical region in South Asia comprising vast territories of eastern Pakistan and northern India. It includes the Punjab province and Islamabad Capital Territory in Pakistan and the states of Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Chandigarh and parts of Jammu and the National Capital Territory of Delhi in India.[2]

The name of the region is Persian in origin[3] and means "(The Land of) Five Rivers" referring to the following rivers: the Jhelum, the Chenab, the Ravi, the Sutlej, and the Beas.[4] All are tributaries of the Indus River, the Jhelum being the largest.

The region has a long history and rich cultural heritage. It has been inhabited by Greeks,[5] Persians,[6] Arabs,[7] Turks,[8] Mughals, Balochis, and British. The people of the Punjab today are called Punjabis and their principal language is called Punjabi. The main religions of the Punjab region are Islam, Sikhism and Hinduism. Other religious groups are Christians, Jains and Buddhists.

In 1947, with the dissolution of British India, the region was partitioned between India and Pakistan.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Yeah 1,420,224
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 min Chimney1 205,287
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 min Limbertwig 239,973
News Study: Children Of Same-Sex Parents More Likely... 6 min Frankie Rizzo 147
News Pro-Clinton super PAC to invest in ground opera... 9 min TheOriginalDoby 9
News Harry Reid calls mother of Benghazi victim 'cra... 15 min VN Vet 44
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 16 min ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 8,008
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 55 min Agents of Corruption 393,398
News Former Obama aide: Trump is a 'psychopath' 1 hr Mullahing It Over 88
More from around the web