It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103340 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#100278 Feb 16, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
I extend the same courtesy to all people as I would expect from them, regardless of their sex. Anything else is like apples and oranges.
Really???

Since: Feb 11

Brandon, UK

#100279 Feb 17, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting, isn't it?
The ten minute delay between shots is interesting, any thoughts ?

Brandon, UK

#100281 Feb 17, 2013
Checkm8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, there was a also case of two women killing one of their mothers in New Zealand and two women killing a girl in Australia, there was also the murder of a man that involved drinking his blood which again was committed by two women. I wasn't saying it doesn't happen, simply that it is a very rare occurrance for women to initiate violence or murder and even less likely that they are involved in sex crimes against children.
Yep,,, I guess when you look at the species and the role's of the two as intended by nature,,it is difficult for us to except a female totally lacking in maternal instinct.

Brandon, UK

#100282 Feb 17, 2013
HollybytheSea wrote:
<quoted text>Really???
Problem ????

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Since: Jan 11

Port Melbourne, Australia

#100283 Feb 17, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
I gather you've been detained as were I. Perhaps we can tie up some loose ends?:)

http://www.topix.com/forum/world/australia/TI...
Guppy

Englewood, FL

#100284 Feb 17, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a ten minute delay between shots? Didn't know that. What happened?
Guppy

Englewood, FL

#100285 Feb 17, 2013
Checkm8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, there was a also case of two women killing one of their mothers in New Zealand and two women killing a girl in Australia, there was also the murder of a man that involved drinking his blood which again was committed by two women. I wasn't saying it doesn't happen, simply that it is a very rare occurrance for women to initiate violence or murder and even less likely that they are involved in sex crimes against children.
There is a movie about the two girls who killed the mother. Creepy girls. Something about a rock......
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#100286 Feb 17, 2013
Checkm8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Vet, sorry to interject again but the archaic rituals of some middle eastern countries is used as an excuse for the abuse of women the world over. Rape, murder, physical and emotion abuse of women is a crime of the western world too.
Men still see women as second class citizens whereby they need the protection of men from men. A beheading in a public place or death by firing squad for adultery is no worse than seeing a woman beaten, shot or having her throat cut in front of her children by a man and these are all crimes committed on women in a so called civilised world. The law (restraints) cannot prevent a man with control or anger issues pursuing and murdering his wife, her family children and work colleagues which has been proven throughout places like Australia, England, America etc. Men need to address the problems women face in their own backyard instead of trying to justify their treatment in the western world as opposed to the Middle East. It is strong and brave women who have fought and gained their freedoms in the western world (though there is still such a long way to go) and it will be women that will gain there freedoms in countries with archaic traditions. We need to support that fight "if we" truly believe women deserve better treatment by men then it should start at home with the violence they face here, don't you agree?
The Veteran guy is a blatant misogynist, note his personal experience of women – a bar, yes he claims to have been a bartender observing women behaving badly, imagine that women hanging out in a bar behaving badly – it can’t be :-)

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#100288 Feb 17, 2013
Checkm8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Vet, sorry to interject again but the archaic rituals of some middle eastern countries is used as an excuse for the abuse of women the world over. Rape, murder, physical and emotion abuse of women is a crime of the western world too.
Men still see women as second class citizens whereby they need the protection of men from men. A beheading in a public place or death by firing squad for adultery is no worse than seeing a woman beaten, shot or having her throat cut in front of her children by a man and these are all crimes committed on women in a so called civilised world. The law (restraints) cannot prevent a man with control or anger issues pursuing and murdering his wife, her family children and work colleagues which has been proven throughout places like Australia, England, America etc. Men need to address the problems women face in their own backyard instead of trying to justify their treatment in the western world as opposed to the Middle East. It is strong and brave women who have fought and gained their freedoms in the western world (though there is still such a long way to go) and it will be women that will gain there freedoms in countries with archaic traditions. We need to support that fight "if we" truly believe women deserve better treatment by men then it should start at home with the violence they face here, don't you agree?
I am not justifying anything. I am merely debunking the claim that women in this country are treated worse than anywhere else in the world. Are women treated badly here??? Some are, yes. But not all are. I treat my wife like a queen and she appreciates it. I treat ALL women with respect until they no longer deserve my respect. Period. All I was saying was that those that claim women are treated worse here than anywhere else don't know WTF they are talking about. And I have seen it first hand over there.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#100289 Feb 17, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
The Veteran guy is a blatant misogynist,....
How so, libtard??

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#100290 Feb 17, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep,,, I guess when you look at the species and the role's of the two as intended by nature,,it is difficult for us to except a female totally lacking in maternal instinct.
That's it, as in nearly every situations in nature the female is the carer and protector of her young, even to the point of starving herself or risking her life to fight off males that would hurt or kill them.
Men find it especially horrific to learn about a female killing her offspring or involved in a crime against another human, and are often the ones who are more critical than they would be if a man did the same thing all because of the idealistic expectation we have about women as the motherly love influence over our lives.

Location hidden

#100291 Feb 17, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Two actually, one he was taking his time killing her, he wanted to make her suffer and sense the fear as she realised what he intended to do to her, or she had called out when he wounded her, so he had to take that time to think through what he needed to do to make it appear he had accidentally shot her as an intruder. I would move to the latter he had his life to think about after the fact. Either way if he took ten minutes between shots it shows he was a cold blooded and calculated manipulator about wanting it to be seen as a tragic accident. If she was dead she couldn't dispute his story, so the element of doubt would exist as he has a strong standing in the public arena, as did OJ.

Location hidden

#100292 Feb 17, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a movie about the two girls who killed the mother. Creepy girls. Something about a rock......
Yes, they made a movie about it called Heavenly Creatures, they and you are right they used the rock to bash the mothers head , they were very creepy girls.

Location hidden

#100293 Feb 17, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
The Veteran guy is a blatant misogynist, note his personal experience of women – a bar, yes he claims to have been a bartender observing women behaving badly, imagine that women hanging out in a bar behaving badly – it can’t be :-)
Yes I did reply to one of those post as it showed a clear lack of education about the sexes and women in general. I have no doubt that some people of both sexes have the ability to behave badly after a few drinks, though to single out one and say they are worse than the other, is irrational.

Wilburton, UK

#100294 Feb 17, 2013
Checkm8 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's it, as in nearly every situations in nature the female is the carer and protector of her young, even to the point of starving herself or risking her life to fight off males that would hurt or kill them.
Men find it especially horrific to learn about a female killing her offspring or involved in a crime against another human, and are often the ones who are more critical than they would be if a man did the same thing all because of the idealistic expectation we have about women as the motherly love influence over our lives.
I agree to an extent,,,however the women I have spoken to seem to be more outraged with the thought that another female could behave in such a manner.
Tragically I can bare witness to men losing their life in the defence of children who are not their own. That surely is normal for both sexes.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#100295 Feb 17, 2013
Checkm8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I did reply to one of those post as it showed a clear lack of education about the sexes and women in general. I have no doubt that some people of both sexes have the ability to behave badly after a few drinks, though to single out one and say they are worse than the other, is irrational.
Hi ya wizz kid, good concert last night? BTW what Spocko says is true Spider and most of the males on here are mysogynistic pigs.
I had a dispute with Spider over a fruit cake recipe and he still doesn't believe you put nuts in a fruit cake, even after I showed him said recipe in the Australian food bible, the CWA cookbook, it has been a point of contention on his part ever since....Phttt, no nuts in fruit cake, who would believe such a thing?
hammer

Kiev, Ukraine

#100296 Feb 17, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi ya wizz kid, good concert last night? BTW what Spocko says is true Spider and most of the males on here are mysogynistic pigs.
I had a dispute with Spider over a fruit cake recipe and he still doesn't believe you put nuts in a fruit cake, even after I showed him said recipe in the Australian food bible, the CWA cookbook, it has been a point of contention on his part ever since....Phttt, no nuts in fruit cake, who would believe such a thing?
Surely nobody would argue about food with YOU ! Im sure nobody on topix has eaten as much of it as you.

Wilburton, UK

#100298 Feb 17, 2013
Checkm8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Two actually, one he was taking his time killing her, he wanted to make her suffer and sense the fear as she realised what he intended to do to her, or she had called out when he wounded her, so he had to take that time to think through what he needed to do to make it appear he had accidentally shot her as an intruder. I would move to the latter he had his life to think about after the fact. Either way if he took ten minutes between shots it shows he was a cold blooded and calculated manipulator about wanting it to be seen as a tragic accident. If she was dead she couldn't dispute his story, so the element of doubt would exist as he has a strong standing in the public arena, as did OJ.
The news report here stated that a witness who heard the shots,,allso heard a scream or cry,,after the first volley.

A couple I know have relatives out there,,never having been there myself I asked them what they thought. It appears that the level of crime is so high that it is very much a shoot first, question after society. Apparently just to steal your car, they shoot you then drag you out, as apposed to threatning you.

Wilburton, UK

#100299 Feb 17, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
I am truly touched that you think so highly of me pet.
By the way,,,regarding the old recipe debate,,I told you that no court of law would ever support your view,,,you never did reply or offer any answer,,,would that be because you knew where the debate was headed ;-)

Location hidden

#100300 Feb 17, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree to an extent,,,however the women I have spoken to seem to be more outraged with the thought that another female could behave in such a manner.
Tragically I can bare witness to men losing their life in the defence of children who are not their own. That surely is normal for both sexes.
No doubt that both sexes have the ability to protect the young but it is something that women generally do without thought to their person, a man will rationalise the danger. This is something that is implanted in their soul just as being a predator is implanted in ours, we can tame or alter it, but still it remains.
There have been stories of amazing women who when captured and tortured beyond the limit of most men, suffered with one goal in mind and that was to protect their allies even to death, and they did. Incredible when they are often referred to as the weaker sex? I have no doubt that a man would protect their child but a woman would raise (without thought) against even someone she loved to protect them, her partner father friends etc....so give them their due Spider, they earned it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 13 min Charles Idemi 164,215
Passtcert vmware certification vcan610 guide 21 min howard 1
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 23 min Earthling-1 34,246
News What Should Citizenship Mean? 26 min Shinichiro Takizawa 64
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 31 min Agents of Corruption 53,477
News GOP bill blocks pregnant immigrants from enteri... 31 min Quirky 23
News 'They created these people': Rand Paul blames G... 32 min huh 13
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr Quirky 1,233,713
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 1 hr Quirky 328,552
News Ireland same-sex marriage 1 hr Belle Sexton 214
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Dixie Chick 190,091
More from around the web