It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103311 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Since: Feb 11

Ely, UK

#100299 Feb 17, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi ya wizz kid, good concert last night? BTW what Spocko says is true Spider and most of the males on here are mysogynistic pigs.
I had a dispute with Spider over a fruit cake recipe and he still doesn't believe you put nuts in a fruit cake, even after I showed him said recipe in the Australian food bible, the CWA cookbook, it has been a point of contention on his part ever since....Phttt, no nuts in fruit cake, who would believe such a thing?
I am truly touched that you think so highly of me pet.
By the way,,,regarding the old recipe debate,,I told you that no court of law would ever support your view,,,you never did reply or offer any answer,,,would that be because you knew where the debate was headed ;-)

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#100300 Feb 17, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree to an extent,,,however the women I have spoken to seem to be more outraged with the thought that another female could behave in such a manner.
Tragically I can bare witness to men losing their life in the defence of children who are not their own. That surely is normal for both sexes.
No doubt that both sexes have the ability to protect the young but it is something that women generally do without thought to their person, a man will rationalise the danger. This is something that is implanted in their soul just as being a predator is implanted in ours, we can tame or alter it, but still it remains.
There have been stories of amazing women who when captured and tortured beyond the limit of most men, suffered with one goal in mind and that was to protect their allies even to death, and they did. Incredible when they are often referred to as the weaker sex? I have no doubt that a man would protect their child but a woman would raise (without thought) against even someone she loved to protect them, her partner father friends etc....so give them their due Spider, they earned it.

Location hidden

#100301 Feb 17, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
The news report here stated that a witness who heard the shots,,allso heard a scream or cry,,after the first volley.
A couple I know have relatives out there,,never having been there myself I asked them what they thought. It appears that the level of crime is so high that it is very much a shoot first, question after society. Apparently just to steal your car, they shoot you then drag you out, as apposed to threatning you.
Jesus, could you imagine living in such a place.

Location hidden

#100302 Feb 17, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi ya wizz kid, good concert last night? BTW what Spocko says is true Spider and most of the males on here are mysogynistic pigs.
I had a dispute with Spider over a fruit cake recipe and he still doesn't believe you put nuts in a fruit cake, even after I showed him said recipe in the Australian food bible, the CWA cookbook, it has been a point of contention on his part ever since....Phttt, no nuts in fruit cake, who would believe such a thing?
Great concert, finished too late and raged against the clock this morning.
And I see you have eaten your weetbix today, you seem to be firing on all eight cylinders.:D

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#100303 Feb 17, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am truly touched that you think so highly of me pet.
By the way,,,regarding the old recipe debate,,I told you that no court of law would ever support your view,,,you never did reply or offer any answer,,,would that be because you knew where the debate was headed ;-)
Dream on arachnid.
I believe my recipe would stand up in any court in the land...I sent you the recipe, what more did you want? Besides get the little woman to cook it up and then you will see the results for yourself!
I knew regardless of what I put up you wouldn't believe it, and you should never mistake my silence for agreement, that would be another mistake on your part.
GoGoBar

Hua Hin, Thailand

#100304 Feb 17, 2013
Yes, the best thing Australia ever did was end Apartheid and slavery.

Location hidden

#100305 Feb 17, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not justifying anything. I am merely debunking the claim that women in this country are treated worse than anywhere else in the world. Are women treated badly here??? Some are, yes. But not all are. I treat my wife like a queen and she appreciates it. I treat ALL women with respect until they no longer deserve my respect. Period. All I was saying was that those that claim women are treated worse here than anywhere else don't know WTF they are talking about. And I have seen it first hand over there.
It is nice to hear that you treat your wife well Vet, I didn't not say or presume that you would not. I treat my partner as my equal and she treats me likewise and I wouldn't have it any other way, but as you must realise we are not the norm though, are we?
If that were the case we wouldn't see so much domestic violence that targets women and children in our neck of the woods, but oddly enough we do and that is my point.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#100306 Feb 17, 2013
Checkm8 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is nice to hear that you treat your wife well Vet, I didn't not say or presume that you would not. I treat my partner as my equal and she treats me likewise and I wouldn't have it any other way, but as you must realise we are not the norm though, are we?
If that were the case we wouldn't see so much domestic violence that targets women and children in our neck of the woods, but oddly enough we do and that is my point.
Actually, it is more the norm than you think. It just seems as though it isn't because of how instantaneous and sensationalized BAD reports are forwarded around the internet, and how one-sided (to the side of the bad) the reporting is. Chivalry is NOT dead.

Location hidden

#100307 Feb 17, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it is more the norm than you think. It just seems as though it isn't because of how instantaneous and sensationalized BAD reports are forwarded around the internet, and how one-sided (to the side of the bad) the reporting is. Chivalry is NOT dead.
I believe chivalry still exists also Vet, though it wouldn't be as much needed if people learned to treat all women with equality, the sad thing is, as much as we would like not to believe it, there is an awful lot of it going on.
I am surounded by guys and girls who think and were brought up to think like I do as well, and that is that everyone else has the same rights as us, then I see or hear about the rape or abuse of a female that demotes and degrades and often is life threatening to her, this has the power to bring me back to the real world I live in. One case of the abuse of women and kids at the hands of men is one case too many, and that includes talking about or to them in a fashion that sees them treated as anything but a first class citizen with the self same rights as we have. Cliche or not, until women get the same rights and pay as men then our countries on the whole have a problem with the oppression of women as clear as the Middle Eastern countries, moreso because we are supposed to be more civilised in our minds, what do you think?

Ely, UK

#100308 Feb 17, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Dream on arachnid.
I believe my recipe would stand up in any court in the land...I sent you the recipe, what more did you want? Besides get the little woman to cook it up and then you will see the results for yourself!
I knew regardless of what I put up you wouldn't believe it, and you should never mistake my silence for agreement, that would be another mistake on your part.
You BELIEVE ? your recipe would stand up in any court in the land, so you admit at least to being uncertain.
I know as well as you and the other folks posting here that the choice of words used to convey an idea, or indeed a RIGHT are of the utmost importance, especially in the case of certain documents.

I wouldn't mistake your silence for agreement,,I consider it a case of uncertainty on your part,,another mistake on your part.

Ely, UK

#100309 Feb 17, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Dream on arachnid.
Further to that,,,the little women as you call her has never baked a cake in all the time I have known her, I wonder if you can guess who does.

Ely, UK

#100310 Feb 18, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. good news doesent sell newspapers.

Perth, Australia

#100311 Feb 18, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
You BELIEVE ? your recipe would stand up in any court in the land, so you admit at least to being uncertain.
I know as well as you and the other folks posting here that the choice of words used to convey an idea, or indeed a RIGHT are of the utmost importance, especially in the case of certain documents.
I wouldn't mistake your silence for agreement,,I consider it a case of uncertainty on your part,,another mistake on your part.
No I don't admit to uncertainty at all, I am either black or white but never dull as dishwater grey.
Seriously arachnid if a recipe requires nuts then it is a forgone conlclusion that I would win and you would be hopping off with your tail between one of your hairy legs.

Perth, Australia

#100312 Feb 18, 2013
Checkm8 wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe chivalry still exists also Vet, though it wouldn't be as much needed if people learned to treat all women with equality, the sad thing is, as much as we would like not to believe it, there is an awful lot of it going on.
I am surounded by guys and girls who think and were brought up to think like I do as well, and that is that everyone else has the same rights as us, then I see or hear about the rape or abuse of a female that demotes and degrades and often is life threatening to her, this has the power to bring me back to the real world I live in. One case of the abuse of women and kids at the hands of men is one case too many, and that includes talking about or to them in a fashion that sees them treated as anything but a first class citizen with the self same rights as we have. Cliche or not, until women get the same rights and pay as men then our countries on the whole have a problem with the oppression of women as clear as the Middle Eastern countries, moreso because we are supposed to be more civilised in our minds, what do you think?
You've got my vote.
MalbarCACA Controllers

UK

#100313 Feb 18, 2013
I am entering my doodle and balls in "smallest package in the world" contest held in New Zealand - the home of the tiny dick.

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Since: Jan 11

Australia

#100314 Feb 18, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
Talking of mistakes on your part, "spider1954", I've been trying here to help you to avoid one:

http://www.topix.com/forum/world/australia/TI...

Perth, Australia

#100315 Feb 18, 2013
Checkm8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Great concert, finished too late and raged against the clock this morning.
And I see you have eaten your weetbix today, you seem to be firing on all eight cylinders.:D
Yes I could hear it from my balcony, they sounded great, it was unusual to have a concert go that late on a Sunday night, most of them shut off before midnight so I understand why you slept in.
In regards to firing on all eight cylinders, all I have to say on that is just you wait they wear out the sanest of people, with their dumbness and rednecked attitudes.

Location hidden

#100316 Feb 18, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I could hear it from my balcony, they sounded great, it was unusual to have a concert go that late on a Sunday night, most of them shut off before midnight so I understand why you slept in.
In regards to firing on all eight cylinders, all I have to say on that is just you wait they wear out the sanest of people, with their dumbness and rednecked attitudes.
Yeah, they did run longer than I expected as they came back on and did a few more numbers, the crowd loved it, but by the time I got back to the house it was around 2am, then I was too enovated to sleep, never again on a Sunday night.
MabarCACA Controllers

UK

#100317 Feb 18, 2013
I love to eat dog turd on toast for breakfast every morining stark naked with my gay muslim boy friends.
The Fixers

Los Angeles, CA

#100318 Feb 18, 2013
who="GAY paedoFAGGOT sIndian"

wrote

I am entering my doodle and balls in "smallest package in the world" contest held in New Zealand - the home of the tiny dick.

Don't let us stop you - make sure you bring a microscope and a dunce's hat to wear on your tiny dick

MalbarCACA Poofters, Benders, sIndians, Levis, Adelaideans, McPoos...
http://www.topix.com/forum/world/australia/T7...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min USAsince1680 1,406,137
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 min Blitzking 201,756
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 4 min Agents of Corruption 391,730
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 min Injudgement 233,658
News Commentary: Hillary's speech was not good 11 min Harry Paratestes 26
News Bill Clinton tells a love story to make his cas... 12 min Webb Hubbell meth... 2
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 19 min littleoleladyfrom... 5,754
News Poll: Trump supporters unfazed by reversal on s... 4 hr NotSoDivineMsM 328
More from around the web