It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103296 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#99941 Feb 13, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems to be going through another incarnation.
So far it has gone from talking about guns to talking about talking about guns to talking about talking about talking about guns.
Each incarnation is elevated to cult status and fiercely defended by its respective followers. What will the next incarnation be?
"Watch This Space".:)
Our Fuhrer's attempt to [federally] control firearms, maybe?:-)
Tray

Tupelo, MS

#99943 Feb 13, 2013
Guppy wrote:
After i get the Hello Kitty gun, do I need to practice? You know, gun range? That could be boring. Maybe I will be so bloody talented, I won't have to practice. I could practice on a human. See, if someone makes me a little angry, I could practice on them. How cool would that be?
How many guns should I buy?
Do I need a knife?
Grenade?
Where do they sell Drones? That could come in handy.
Who makes the Drone?
....... ... Your drone.

Since: Feb 11

March, UK

#99945 Feb 13, 2013
Guppy wrote:
After i get the Hello Kitty gun, do I need to practice? You know, gun range? That could be boring. Maybe I will be so bloody talented, I won't have to practice. I could practice on a human. See, if someone makes me a little angry, I could practice on them. How cool would that be?
How many guns should I buy?
Do I need a knife?
Grenade?
Where do they sell Drones? That could come in handy.
Who makes the Drone?
If you want to look really stylish,, you know, the lady about town sort of look,, check out the Hello Kitty flak jackets.

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Since: Jan 11

Australia

#99948 Feb 13, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
To be honest the latter sounds like me. Why do you raise that particular conversation, any reason other than it's relevance regarding certain characters ?
Yes it may sound like you. It does sound like the person addressing you. How well do you remember the conversation in question? Can you remember what was said?

I have no ulterior motives. Except when I do.:)

March, UK

#99949 Feb 13, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it may sound like you. It does sound like the person addressing you. How well do you remember the conversation in question? Can you remember what was said?
I have no ulterior motives. Except when I do.:)
No, so surprise me.

Australia

#99950 Feb 13, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, so surprise me.
Patience good sir! All shall be revealed.:)

Do you see any *material difference* between these two statements"

"Almost all mammals, avian, reptiles, etc., are on alert for most of their waking moments."

"Most creatures are vigilant most of their conscious life"

March, UK

#99951 Feb 13, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
"Almost all mammals, avian, reptiles, etc., are on alert for most of their waking moments."
There is a degree of care in the second statement.

Australia

#99952 Feb 13, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a degree of care in the second statement.
Perhaps. But for all practical purposes the essential thrust of both statements is equivalent. Wouldn't you agree?

Do you recognize either statement as extracted from a conversation that you have in fact had?

March, UK

#99953 Feb 13, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps. But for all practical purposes the essential thrust of both statements is equivalent. Wouldn't you agree?
Do you recognize either statement as extracted from a conversation that you have in fact had?
I don't agree that both statements are the same, but let's put that aside for the moment.

I wouldn't stake my life on it, but it does ring a bell of sorts.
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#99954 Feb 13, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
Both statements are meaningless without qualification, i.e. there are birds that do not learn how to fly because they have no natural enemies and so on ...

Australia

#99955 Feb 13, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't agree that both statements are the same, but let's put that aside for the moment.
I wouldn't stake my life on it, but it does ring a bell of sorts.
Of course both statements are not the same. They use different words!

But one would surely have to be a 'hair-splitting fetishist' to fight to the death for a meaningful difference in their meanings. No?:)

March, UK

#99956 Feb 13, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Both statements are meaningless without qualification, i.e. there are birds that do not learn how to fly because they have no natural enemies and so on ...
That's interesting,, I know of flightless birds, but tell me, which of these flightless birds could fly if they relly felt like it.
Is it truly a case of learning.

March, UK

#99957 Feb 13, 2013
Opps, really

March, UK

#99958 Feb 13, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course both statements are not the same. They use different words!
But one would surely have to be a 'hair-splitting fetishist' to fight to the death for a meaningful difference in their meanings. No?:)
I suggested we put that to one side for the moment.

Please move on to the ringing bell.

Australia

#99959 Feb 13, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggested we put that to one side for the moment.
Please move on to the ringing bell.
With respect, bear with me. Before moving on we need to resolve what degree of correlation could be argued to exist between the two statements I have presented, one of which you have encountered before.:)
Guppy

Venice, FL

#99960 Feb 13, 2013
No Hello Kitty guns. All sold out.

March, UK

#99961 Feb 13, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
With respect, bear with me. Before moving on we need to resolve what degree of correlation could be argued to exist between the two statements I have presented, one of which you have encountered before.:)
Fair enough,,, consider an army of the past,,whilst approaching their opponents they would be in the open and exposed to arrows or large rocks from trebuchet, ALERT to a danger, but esentially every man for himself.

Now consider a modern army, how they approach their opponents, substitute vigilant.

Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#99962 Feb 13, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want to look really stylish,, you know, the lady about town sort of look,, check out the Hello Kitty flak jackets.
Very funny. Looked on internet, but couldn't find one.

March, UK

#99963 Feb 13, 2013
Guppy wrote:
No Hello Kitty guns. All sold out.
You could allways purchase,,,ahhh now lets see,,,a desert eagle,,some nice paint and transfers from a craft shop,,,create your own custom made,,,job done.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#99964 Feb 13, 2013
Mr Punjab wrote:
You just think anyone that disagrees with your fat self (that means eveeyone) is a troll.
And you are not one? really you are a dumb dick troll!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min southerngirl 1,565,303
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min WelbyMD 242,289
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 min Science 221,925
News By a 2-to-1 margin, Americans prefer Obamacare ... 5 min CodeTalker 342
News President Trump's new message man Anthony Scara... 9 min Retribution 43
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 9 min Oregonducks 16,753
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 15 min Patriot AKA Bozo 37,124
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Julia 279,811
More from around the web