It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103299 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Aggrolite

Since: Jan 13

Hampton, Australia

#99695 Feb 9, 2013
MalbarCACA Controller wrote:
<quoted text>
Removed
Who shamed me?
Levi

United States

#99697 Feb 9, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
Oh lookey here, another law abiding citizen goes and kills people with guns in America....It seem that a cop no less has now become a murderer....a decent law abiding citizen touted to uphold the law...a good guy, has just killed three people simply for getting the sack...these are not crims that are killing these innocents it is the direct oposite of a criminal...law abiders with guns....
This proves my point, without doubt!.....There are too many law abiders out there that would do the same thing if this were them in this position?...That is the big worry, isn't it?...because last week or a month ago this guy was just a decent normal everyday guy doing his bit for society to keep it safe, as most gun owning law abiders are, but even moreso, as he was a cop...now he is just another crazy gun loving American who has murdered people to date, and it was made all the more easy for him because he could legally get access to guns.....NEXT and there will be another next time and another and etc......
BTW dumbwit, if he's doing all this stuff he aint 'LAW ABIDING' now is he!? You're as stupid as some of these trolls, I'll tell you like I told them, if your brains were wind you wouldnt have enough to blow your nose!
MalbarCACA Controller

Luton, UK

#99699 Feb 9, 2013
Levi wrote:
<quoted text>BTW dumbwit, if he's doing all this stuff he aint 'LAW ABIDING' now is he!? You're as stupid as some of these trolls, I'll tell you like I told them, if your brains were wind you wouldnt have enough to blow your nose!
If you blow wind into your nose it would come straight out of ears, Stupid twit.
AnnAgain

Oakland, CA

#99702 Feb 9, 2013
Stoneman wrote:
Amazing. Lefties were shrieking non-stop for years about THREE KNOWN, PROVEN TERRORISTS who were waterboarded. That's right, ONLY THREE PEOPLE ON THE PLANET WERE WATERBOARDED.
Not a peep about Lord Obama saying he thinks it's cool to blow up "suspected terrorists" with drones. No proof. No due process. Just whoever the hell Lord Obama wants to blow up.
Where is Code Pink? Haven't heard a word from them in years, even though we're still in AFghanistan.
You don't suppose... they were stooges for the Socialist/Democrats?
Your hatred of Obama is both hysterical and pathetic ... all you can manage is repeat stupid-ass wingnuz blather – grow up!!!
Stoneman

Boise, ID

#99703 Feb 9, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL ... take two aspirin and lie down before your Obama hatred explodes your f-d up head :-/
I'm doing just fine.

How about you?

What's it like waking up every morning, looking in the mirror and knowing YOU CAN'T HACK IT?

You need gubbermint to pay for your health care.
You need gubbermint to pay for your retirement.
You need gubbermint to help pay for your housing, food, your kids' school lunches.

It eats you up every day seeing people that don't share your underachievement problem. It bugs you to see people that have initiative, work ethic. So you want gubbermint to punish them, make them live at the same pathetic lifestyle that you do.

See, we conservatives DON'T NEED YOU LIBERALS. We can pay our way. You, on the other hand, NEED US. And it bugs you, knowing that you have to eat out of our hands. Like a pigeon.
Tray

Pontotoc, MS

#99704 Feb 9, 2013
Stoneman wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm doing just fine.
How about you?
What's it like waking up every morning, looking in the mirror and knowing YOU CAN'T HACK IT?
You need gubbermint to pay for your health care.
You need gubbermint to pay for your retirement.
You need gubbermint to help pay for your housing, food, your kids' school lunches.
It eats you up every day seeing people that don't share your underachievement problem. It bugs you to see people that have initiative, work ethic. So you want gubbermint to punish them, make them live at the same pathetic lifestyle that you do.
See, we conservatives DON'T NEED YOU LIBERALS. We can pay our way. You, on the other hand, NEED US. And it bugs you, knowing that you have to eat out of our hands. Like a pigeon.
WOW! A dose of reality. They need to stop biting the hand that feeds them. Or better yet GROW UP AND GET A JOB.
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#99705 Feb 9, 2013
Stoneman wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm doing just fine.
How about you?
What's it like waking up every morning, looking in the mirror and knowing YOU CAN'T HACK IT?
You need gubbermint to pay for your health care.
You need gubbermint to pay for your retirement.
You need gubbermint to help pay for your housing, food, your kids' school lunches.
It eats you up every day seeing people that don't share your underachievement problem. It bugs you to see people that have initiative, work ethic. So you want gubbermint to punish them, make them live at the same pathetic lifestyle that you do.
See, we conservatives DON'T NEED YOU LIBERALS. We can pay our way. You, on the other hand, NEED US. And it bugs you, knowing that you have to eat out of our hands. Like a pigeon.
Okay, let's take a look shall we!
Take your blinder off and open your tiny little mind there is whole world out there you’re refusing to see, like the good little wingnut that you are. Present-day conservatives and other assorted right-wingnuz fanatics insist that we (and especially judges) revere the Founding Fathers, sublimating our twenty-first century experience to their own. I have nothing against the Founding Fathers. They weren't so bad, but certainly not so good. They certainly were NOT representative of the population of the country, then or now. If they represented anyone, it was less than 2% of the population. The Founding Fathers were definitely in the one percent. George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, Alexander Hamilton or James Madison, Robert Morris was the “Financier of the American Revolution.” Nearly all were well educated for their time, they all had prosperous enterprises while attending to the people’s business. Many of the Founding Fathers lobbied against the Bill of Rights. Most of the Founding Fathers disapproved of giving ordinary citizens the right to own land or such liberties as freedom of religion, freedom from unreasonable search and torture, the right of free speech and so forth. In fact, when John Adams was president (1797-1801), he took away freedom of speech. The Bill of Rights is, in reality, the people's voice against the Founding Fathers - liberty against conformity. The authors of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights were progressives fighting the conservatives who lobbied against it, in fact, the wingnuz of old lobbied hard to have George Washington installed as the “King of the New World.”

Over the last 40 years, the GOP went from a political movement that believed in the Constitution, smaller government, less big brother, and sound fiscal responsibility……to the party of Authoritarian Government dominated by the religious right, the wealthy elite, and corporatists. Few disagree that Barry Goldwater would be utterly disgusted at what modern day Conservatism advocates; less individual freedoms, more big brother, selective adherence to the Constitution, and the kind of reckless spending that would make most democrats blush. And it would appear that more and more true conservatives agree whole-heartedly with Mr. Goldwater. This has left the GOPers, which owes much of its' success over the last 30 years to its' Conservative base, in a very tough spot, if not completely screwed, as is demonstrated by the all-out civil war that has erupted within the Republican Party during the early stages of the 2008 Presidential Election. Conservatism, having morphed from Goldwater's philosophies into a movement who's agenda panders to religious zealots and the wealthy elite, has completely alienated and angered everyone from traditional conservatives, to Reagan Democrats, to moderate republicans alike, all of whom have watched their beliefs, needs, and priorities take a back seat to the views of far right extremists.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#99706 Feb 9, 2013
Levi wrote:
<quoted text>First of all, dear woman, get your facts straight, if you know them at all. Secondly the cop WAS NOT a law abideing citizen, or cop, doing his job protecting the citizens. He lied about fellow officers, he was on the take, he had harassed a many citizen, took money from them, falseified reports on them, beat them, and yes, suspected of murdering a few. thats why he was 'sacked', and was under investigation. Now, Im not going to argue with you on this bc I know this, I have family that live in Memphis, the cop was bad, and now, he's out to kill other cops, which you failed to mention.
NOw, run back to your "I hate america" agenda, and see if you can dig something else up, maybe your lesbo freidn gogobar will help you out.
Oh I don't hate America, the land....I hate the mentality of Americans, like when they are faced with overwhelming evidence of the ammount of deaths by guns, and the problems America has with guns, they just bury their heads up the arse of the NRA and pray they help them keep their guns.I would like to see you put up some evidence that this guy is or was a criminal that he had a criminal record because if he doesn't, then he isn't classed a criminal, and he still isn't one under the law that is if you believe in the presuption of innocence....dumb yank!.... I don't claim to know this ex cop and Navy seal, and unless you do "personally know him" you are repeating second hand nonsense.
Ahomana

Adelaide, Australia

#99707 Feb 9, 2013
Oh dear I'm back on here again because I have no friends to talk to and it makes me feel intelligent to put down my airhead ideas. Little do I know all the blood left my brain some time ago as my grotesque meat curtains grew and grew. Its not all bad, I have let a family of refugees borrow my left flap for shelter until they manage to get on their feet. Lucky they are from the shit streets of Mumbai, nobody else could handle the overpowering stench of my disgusting axe wound, actually its more of a chainsaw wound
Ahomona Welfare Parasite

Krasnoyarsk, Russia

#99708 Feb 9, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I don't hate America, the land....I hate the mentality of Americans, like when they are faced with overwhelming evidence of the ammount of deaths by guns, and the problems America has with guns, they just bury their heads up the arse of the NRA and pray they help them keep their guns.I would like to see you put up some evidence that this guy is or was a criminal that he had a criminal record because if he doesn't, then he isn't classed a criminal, and he still isn't one under the law that is if you believe in the presuption of innocence....dumb yank!.... I don't claim to know this ex cop and Navy seal, and unless you do "personally know him" you are repeating second hand nonsense.
Why should anyone listen to what you think ?
How can you sit there and judge anyone when you are a useless waste of space who steals welfare. Your opinions are worthless because you are worthless. Nobody on earth needs you. You are just passing on your weak genetic flaws to others. You should have been steralised and sent to do some actual work for once. I hope your kids dont breed, hopefully the will die before that. You and your fat, welfare dependant family should be herded away and left to starve. Get it through your ugly obese head, nobody gives a shit what your opinions are and most people dont want their tax money going to keep a fat beached whale like you and your subhuman spawn alive. Go and die and painful death obese pile of dog shit.
Barry Bali

Denpasar, Indonesia

#99709 Feb 9, 2013
A good start would be for the police to round up ALL members of the NRA, then take them round the back of the police station and shoot them. Only after that would we get anything like a sane, sober debate on the " right "to own and carry firearms.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#99710 Feb 9, 2013
Levi wrote:
<quoted text>BTW dumbwit, if he's doing all this stuff he aint 'LAW ABIDING' now is he!? You're as stupid as some of these trolls, I'll tell you like I told them, if your brains were wind you wouldnt have enough to blow your nose!
That may be well and good but he is still not I repeat NOT a criminal until he has been judged by his peers.... So it would appear I have right on my side, you simply have ignorance, bigotry and an extreme case of prejudgement mentality, on yours.....
Ahomona Welfare Parasite

Krasnoyarsk, Russia

#99711 Feb 9, 2013
Barry Bali wrote:
A good start would be for the police to round up ALL members of the NRA, then take them round the back of the police station and shoot them. Only after that would we get anything like a sane, sober debate on the " right "to own and carry firearms.
So your against firearms... yet you advocate shooting people....What sort of f/ucking idiot are you ?

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#99712 Feb 9, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
Oh dear I'm back on here again because I have no friends to talk to and it makes me feel intelligent to put down my airhead ideas. Little do I know all the blood left my brain some time ago as my grotesque meat curtains grew and grew. Its not all bad, I have let a family of refugees borrow my left flap for shelter until they manage to get on their feet. Lucky they are from the shit streets of Mumbai, nobody else could handle the overpowering stench of my disgusting axe wound, actually its more of a chainsaw wound
Not only do "YOU" have NO friends you don't even know your own name, so much so you have to steal someone else's that would have to make you one of the moderators(and a troll) how would you get away with fraud on Topix unless those in charge allow it. BTW that is a violation of my privacy and just because you are posting from a different location makes it no less a violation.....Copying others is said to be the highest form of flattery....I just find you a pathetic looser who can't think for himself, a follower rather than a leader. Too damn sad...poopy bear.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#99713 Feb 9, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I don't hate America, the land....I hate the mentality of Americans, like when they are faced with overwhelming evidence of the ammount of deaths by guns, and the problems America has with guns, they just bury their heads up the arse of the NRA and pray they help them keep their guns.I would like to see you put up some evidence that this guy is or was a criminal that he had a criminal record because if he doesn't, then he isn't classed a criminal, and he still isn't one under the law that is if you believe in the presuption of innocence....dumb yank!.... I don't claim to know this ex cop and Navy seal, and unless you do "personally know him" you are repeating second hand nonsense.
Face it. You do hate Americans. You call them names and argue with everything they have to say, When they answer in a civil way you conveniently shut you ears like a child having a tantrum.

"dumb yank!.... " Dumb Ahomana.

Now let's hear your constant argument of all the illegal guns in Mexico. That's so old it has hair growing on it.
Dirty Dingus McGee

Union City, CA

#99714 Feb 9, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
That may be well and good but he is still not I repeat NOT a criminal until he has been judged by his peers.... So it would appear I have right on my side, you simply have ignorance, bigotry and an extreme case of prejudgement mentality, on yours.....
It bears repeating: "You're as stupid as some of these trolls, I'll tell you like I told them, if your brains were wind you wouldnt have enough to blow your nose!"
Ahomana

Adelaide, Australia

#99716 Feb 9, 2013
I get so upset when people trip over my cvnt rugs that I spew out vile abuse and show my true colours.
My eyes are said to remind people of pools of stagnant piss.
Dirty Dingus McGee

Union City, CA

#99717 Feb 9, 2013
Barry Bali wrote:
A good start would be for the police to round up ALL members of the NRA, then take them round the back of the police station and shoot them. Only after that would we get anything like a sane, sober debate on the " right "to own and carry firearms.
"A good start would be for the police to round up ALL members of the NRA, then take them round the back of the police station and shoot them."

Oh, you mean like what Hitler did with the Jews?
Or what Pol Pot did with anyone having any education at all, or even if they wore eye glasses?
Some fine company you keep there, Mr. GENOCIDAL MANIAC!
Dirty Dingus McGee

Union City, CA

#99718 Feb 9, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only do "YOU" have NO friends you don't even know your own name, so much so you have to steal someone else's that would have to make you one of the moderators(and a troll) how would you get away with fraud on Topix unless those in charge allow it. BTW that is a violation of my privacy and just because you are posting from a different location makes it no less a violation.....Copying others is said to be the highest form of flattery....I just find you a pathetic looser who can't think for himself, a follower rather than a leader. Too damn sad...poopy bear.
YOUR day is coming, YOU BITCH!
One day soon YOU will be subject to YOUR own methods.
I hope I'm there to see it, and cheer it on!
Ahomana

Adelaide, Australia

#99719 Feb 9, 2013
Dirty Dingus McGee wrote:
<quoted text>
YOUR day is coming, YOU BITCH!
One day soon YOU will be subject to YOUR own methods.
I hope I'm there to see it, and cheer it on!
I will never be smothered by some old hags meat curtains.
I've just entered mine into a quilting competition, I should go well as all the herpes scars make a wonderful pattern

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News If Donald Trump Was President, Here's What Woul... (Oct '15) 2 min Lovey794 13,152
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 4 min Quirky 404,298
News Court blocks New York City from discarding ille... 5 min Wildchild 6
News Thousands of people march during rally at Bosto... 5 min Sorry Hill 2,256
News GOP at war with itself (Mar '16) 6 min Stars5435 2,518
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 7 min crucifiedguy 4,737
News Churches vow to offer sanctuary to undocumented... 9 min Geezer 1
News Trump's repeated claim that he won a 'landslide... 17 min Quirky 574
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 37 min IND 253,486
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr Chicagoan by Birth 1,459,870
More from around the web