It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103293 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Tray

Pontotoc, MS

#99477 Feb 4, 2013
Guppy wrote:
Dangerous Gun Myths
The idea that weapons make women and homes safer is wrong. The opposite is true.
then you would not mind putting a sign outside stating you don't own a gun? It should make you safer.
Ahomana

Adelaide, Australia

#99478 Feb 4, 2013
My disgusting cunny flaps are clapping in the wind, I sat down this morning now my sofa is missing.
I have a very stretched vagina
Tray

Pontotoc, MS

#99479 Feb 4, 2013
Guppy wrote:
But there is a more fundamental problem with the idea that guns actually protect the hearth and home. Guns rarely get used that way. In row 1990's, a team headed by Arthur Kellerman of Emory University looked at all injuries involving guns kept in the home in Memphis, Seattle and Galveston, Texas. They found that these weapons were fired far more often in accidents, criminal assaults, homicides or suicide attempts than in self-defense, there were seven criminal assaults or homicides, four accidental shootings, and 11 attempted or successful suicides.
Liar. Defensive gun usage rarely involves even firing the gun. 1 Deterrent value-criminals avoid armed victims. 2 The display usually fends off an attacker. 3 A warning or missed shot is not counted as a defensive use because no one was killed or wounded. 4 Even when fired and the attacker is hit the majority of the time the attacker still lives. Have you ever noticed cops don't get mugged or raped much? Do you think it's that little badge on the shirt or that gun on the hip that criminals avoid? Take the gun off their hip and let's see how many criminals respect just the badge. The same for armed citizens. Disarm the citizen and criminals enjoy the safe work environment. Don't you have some cookies to go bake?
Tray

Pontotoc, MS

#99481 Feb 4, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously you can't spot the irony...and justice?....Something is wrong with you gun owning twats when you can use the deaths of 26 people and the words of a President wanting to try and rectify or level the type of weaponry available to get guns off the street.....and you have then nerve to critisise my ironic humour.....you dick!
Still the constant failure.%99.9 of the things in your life that you use to be civilized were created by men. The world around you and the roof over your head was created by men. The cloth and shoes to keep you covered were by men. Most of the food you eat was brought to you by men. The machine and technology you are using right now was brought to you by men. Proud to be a man.

Since: Feb 11

Chatteris, UK

#99482 Feb 4, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
He's referring to womens genatalia in a negative way...it is just something this stupid Indian troll is using to get attention referrencing his experience with the only people he has seen naked are his old mother and gran so he thinks everyone elses vagina's look like theirs, flabby and protruding.
True,,but consider this, as HE referred to HIS meat flaps, it would seem HE has contacted a particular STD from oral sex, and is refering to his own mouth, VERY fitting me thinks.

“Topix is lowlife scum with no”

Since: Jun 12

respect for anyone...

#99483 Feb 4, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
Another law abiding citizen shoots a bus driver and kidnaps a kid....Is there anything more dangerous than a geriatric with a gun he bought legally, I wonder what sort of meds he is on..does it matter to the boys parents...I don't think so.... Quick gun lovers......race out and get the old geiser more guns for his arsenal...he isn't armed enough.....you feckin' crazy Americans.
Back in your box idiot.
Someone who does what he's done is not a law abiding citizen.
Which part of that does your tiny little brain have trouble comprehending?

He's dead now & the child is ok.

Since: Feb 11

Chatteris, UK

#99484 Feb 4, 2013
Opps,,,that should read,, contracted.
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#99485 Feb 4, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> then you would not mind putting a sign outside stating you don't own a gun? It should make you safer.
If you send me one - I will use it.

How about it?
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#99486 Feb 4, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Still the constant failure.%99.9 of the things in your life that you use to be civilized were created by men. The world around you and the roof over your head was created by men. The cloth and shoes to keep you covered were by men. Most of the food you eat was brought to you by men. The machine and technology you are using right now was brought to you by men. Proud to be a man.
No doubt about it. Men are very smart and very talented.
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#99487 Feb 4, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
A federal universal background check is simply more federal expansionism. Eventually, it will be the federal government that would define what a crime is. That makes the 2nd amendment moot.
You don't want background checks? Wonder why?
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#99489 Feb 4, 2013
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Leave it to libs to revel in the death of someone trying to help a fellow vet cope with PTSD only to be slain. Vileness seems to be one of libs more admirable traits.
Tis true. If someone is suffering from PTSD - you don't take him to a firing range.

Look at the outcome.

It's not being vile, it's having common sense.
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#99490 Feb 4, 2013
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Take your own advice and pay attention to your betters when they post.
Who might that be?

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#99491 Feb 4, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Still the constant failure.%99.9 of the things in your life that you use to be civilized were created by men. The world around you and the roof over your head was created by men. The cloth and shoes to keep you covered were by men. Most of the food you eat was brought to you by men. The machine and technology you are using right now was brought to you by men. Proud to be a man.
More to the point 99% or violent crimes, murders, sexual attacks peodaphilia,and incest is committed by men.......question for you......Why don't we rid this earth of MEN??????????
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#99492 Feb 4, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> many places ban citizens from owning a gun so they go to a club and rent one.
Are you saying that T-man's wife has been banned from owning a gun?

Perth, Australia

#99493 Feb 4, 2013
_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Back in your box idiot.
Someone who does what he's done is not a law abiding citizen.
Which part of that does your tiny little brain have trouble comprehending?
He's dead now & the child is ok.
You still have a problem on what makes a person a law abider and what doesn't....law abider no police record, criminal police record...now which is he again, you clueless tit?

Perth, Australia

#99494 Feb 4, 2013
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
True,,but consider this, as HE referred to HIS meat flaps, it would seem HE has contacted a particular STD from oral sex, and is refering to his own mouth, VERY fitting me thinks.
LOL.....

Now if only it would spread to his fingers as well.
sid

Chermside, Australia

#99495 Feb 4, 2013
Tray wrote:
I think therefore I am.

I have a dick therefore I am.

Which one is your mantra.
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#99496 Feb 4, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't want background checks? Wonder why?
FEDERAL background checks. Which amounts to federal registration with the Patriot Act and NDAA already in existence.

You should have seen the BS the federal government did with tea parties with taxes. These are a dirty bunch of people you support.
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#99497 Feb 4, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
You still have a problem on what makes a person a law abider and what doesn't....law abider no police record, criminal police record...now which is he again, you clueless tit?
Here's one for the books. A man who killed his mother when he was 14 had no criminal record and passed a background check even though he spent time in a mental institution.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-5756757...

I'll keep saying it over and over again, it's the court system.
GoGoBar

Chiang Mai, Thailand

#99498 Feb 4, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Tis true. If someone is suffering from PTSD - you don't take him to a firing range.
Look at the outcome.
It's not being vile, it's having common sense.
Wayne LaPierre will call for armed guards at firing ranges soon.
And School Buses
Shopping Malls
Campuses
Movie Theatres
Places of worship
Mini Marts
Factories
Office buildings
Playgrounds
Gymnasiums
Hairdressers

Armed guards like Wayne has. Even he knows he is not safe anywhere.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Reactions to Trump's statement on violence in V... 4 min Retribution 284
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 min russianrepukes 285,720
News On Twitter, Trump accuses blacks of racism thre... 5 min tonya 83
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 5 min Monica Scaramucci 24,627
News McConnell Has Most to Lose In Alabama's Special... 7 min Christsharians on... 3
News Why Hire More Border Patrol When Illegal Immigr... 9 min Truthseeker 23
News Why are people still racist? What science says ... 10 min Christsharians on... 24
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 15 min sonicfilter 1,579,366
News Dear Trump Voters: The 1950's Aren't Coming Back 20 min Eagle 1,155
More from around the web