It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103297 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

GoGoBar

Hua Hin, Thailand

#98649 Jan 25, 2013
You just gotta love how the lowest common denominator applies as well to mathematics as well as Social issues.
Dr Freud

UK

#98652 Jan 25, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
You just gotta love how the lowest common denominator applies as well to mathematics as well as Social issues.
"the lowest common denominator "

Yes: YOURSELF.
GoGoBar

Chiang Mai, Thailand

#98653 Jan 25, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
It looks more like this.

14590 offensive murders

201 Self defense by guns.

Jesus shit in hell!

“Topix is lowlife scum with no”

Since: Jun 12

respect for anyone...

#98655 Jan 25, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait: You 'think?'
Don't you ALREADY KNOW?!?!?!
Lol, yep I do know, could have worded it better couldn't I :)

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#98656 Jan 25, 2013
_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol, yep I do know, could have worded it better couldn't I :)
LOL. No...YOU, actually counld not have....

Perth, Australia

#98657 Jan 25, 2013
HollybytheSea wrote:
<quoted text>I'll wager that I went foraging for food more recently than you went riding in a car that wasn't made up mainly of steel.
So your answer would be, yep you are right AHOMANA! you silly bint.

Perth, Australia

#98658 Jan 25, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait: You 'think?'
Don't you ALREADY KNOW?!?!?!
How would he know anything, he like you have brains the size of a pea....with as much intelligence....of lack of.

Perth, Australia

#98659 Jan 25, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Echo chamber much?
What's the matter can't keep the conversation alive for a few hours without me...that is just sad...

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#98661 Jan 26, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
So your answer would be, yep you are right AHOMANA! you silly bint.
You don't comprehend well, do you?

Perth, Australia

#98662 Jan 26, 2013
HollybytheSea wrote:
<quoted text>You don't comprehend well, do you?
I do but it seems noongs like you, struggle somewhat....
tfreddy42

Dalton, GA

#98663 Jan 26, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>Well what is the gun doing in front, that position is always reserved for who's in charge..ie the force.
as always u have to keep saying that the guns are the problem and not the people

“shirley you cant be serious ”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#98664 Jan 26, 2013
Ordinance number 9 “To Provide against Carrying of Deadly Weapons”(effective April 19, 1881). Section 1.“It is hereby declared to be unlawful for any person to carry deadly weapons, concealed or otherwise [except the same be carried openly in sight, and in the hand] within the limits of the City of Tombstone. Section 2: This prohibition does not extend to persons immediately leaving or entering the city, who, with good faith, and within reasonable time are proceeding to deposit, or take from the place of deposit such deadly weapon. Section 3: All fire-arms of every description, and bowie knives and dirks, are included within the prohibition of this ordinance.”

Well well Sensible gun control straight out of the old wild west - who 'd have thunk it ha ha ha - i win again.

Perth, Australia

#98665 Jan 26, 2013
tfreddy42 wrote:
<quoted text>
as always u have to keep saying that the guns are the problem and not the people
You just keep telling yourself that but the truth of the matter remains that if the guns didn't exist there wouldn't be so many people lying dead with bullet holes in them, would there?.....now you can say it is the person behind the gun but it is impossible for those dead people riddled with bullet holes, if the shooters didn't have a gun...am I right....yes of course I bloody am.....as always....silly sausage.

Location hidden

#98667 Jan 26, 2013
last post wins - I win again ha ha ha

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Since: Jan 11

Launceston, Australia

#98668 Jan 26, 2013
abo tent embassy wrote:
I was walking along the street in canberra when my pants had a wardrobe malfunction and my doodle fell out and Julia Gillard came along and grabbed it. Does this mean we have to get marrried now ?
Depends. What did she do with it?
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#98669 Jan 26, 2013
tinydropthestickgooddog wrote:
Ordinance number 9 “To Provide against Carrying of Deadly Weapons”(effective April 19, 1881). Section 1.“It is hereby declared to be unlawful for any person to carry deadly weapons, concealed or otherwise [except the same be carried openly in sight, and in the hand] within the limits of the City of Tombstone. Section 2: This prohibition does not extend to persons immediately leaving or entering the city, who, with good faith, and within reasonable time are proceeding to deposit, or take from the place of deposit such deadly weapon. Section 3: All fire-arms of every description, and bowie knives and dirks, are included within the prohibition of this ordinance.”
Well well Sensible gun control straight out of the old wild west - who 'd have thunk it ha ha ha - i win again.
So why did you leave this part out of Section 1..?..;

"...without first obtaining a permit in writing."

So it seems you could still get a permit to carry.

You lose.

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Since: Jan 11

Launceston, Australia

#98670 Jan 26, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
Dr Freud wrote:
Quick! Hands up! Who wants to be the lowest common dominator?
Tray

Shannon, MS

#98671 Jan 26, 2013
Researcher wrote:
<quoted text>
From a police academy trainer, 3rd generation cop, now working for a law-enforcement triaining company that has trained tens of thousands of police officers nationwide:
"Cops aren't trained well enough, so what do you think they're going to do with teachers? It's not enough to just carry a gun."
TIME, Jan. 28, 2013, pp. 40-41
From a life long hunter. I and most hunters were raised around guns, lived most of our lives around guns, have owned more guns than the local police department feel we are well qualified to continue to own and keep guns and many are teachers. We are good shots because deer hunting requires the ability to kill with one shot not spraying bullets. Let a cop hit a 30 mph target running through the woods and make a heart lung shot on one try at 100 or better yards and do this regularly. Hit a rabbit size animal running 25 mph zig zagging in tall grass at 40 yards 5 times before lunch. Do all these things all their life. But you are right, cops are not trained good enough so I believe I will keep trusting myself and gun for my own protection.

Location hidden

#98672 Jan 26, 2013
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
So why did you leave this part out of Section 1..?..;
"...without first obtaining a permit in writing."
So it seems you could still get a permit to carry.
You lose.
source ?
The Dominator

Luton, UK

#98673 Jan 26, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text><quoted text>
Quick! Hands up! Who wants to be the lowest common dominator?
Be quiet sewer rat.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lawmakers revisiting requiring those on Medicai... 3 min Yes And 41
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min USAsince1680 1,520,849
News US prosecutors weighing charges against WikiLea... 11 min Mitt s Santorum S... 12
News Trump's repeated claim that he won a 'landslide... 20 min And the Weiner Is... 8,410
News Jamiel Shaw Sr: "My Son Was Murdered by a DREAM... 23 min tomin cali 1
News El Paso leaders condemn Sessions' remarks about... 23 min True Conservative 54
News Group of Mental Health Professionals Warn Trump... 25 min slick willie expl... 9
News Attorney General doesn't realize Hawaii is a state 42 min swampmudd 205
Gay Skype !! 5 hr latinhairy 341
More from around the web