It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103321 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

#98591 Jan 25, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh no! He brought a knife to a gun fight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =PD138saK_4MXX
Th choice of weapon didn't work out.
Sounds like a deader to me...... FTD likes people like him......
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#98592 Jan 25, 2013
Waiting..........for someone to write something interesting.........Waiting... .......

Could be a long wait..........

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Dump American Eagle

#98593 Jan 25, 2013
Guppy wrote:
Waiting..........for someone to write something interesting.........Waiting... .......
Here ya go.... Senator Feinstein introduced in the Senate a gun control Bill that would outlaw/ban several classes of firearms to include any semi-automatic pistol that used a detachable mag. Limit mags to 10 rounds. Outlaw "modified" shotguns with extended mag,regardless of operation cycle. Her assault on the Constitution should be construed as treasonous and be charged accordingly.
Dr Freud

UK

#98594 Jan 25, 2013
Guppy wrote:
Well, since YOU haven't written anything worth reading ...
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#98595 Jan 25, 2013
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL ... so the newest semi-retarded slogan from the gun-a-holics peanut gallery is now "a self defense free zone"! Let me tell you something, fat f-ing slob, I'll take you on any day with your weapon of choice, I will use my hands only, and have you on the ground screaming, like the fat friggen pig that you are, in less than a second – real men need no guns for self defense.
Mixed martial arts fighter shot dead in Abbotsford
ABBOTSFORD — A well-known gangster from the Independent Soldiers who ran an extreme fighting club here was shot to death late Monday as he left his Clearbrook Road gym.
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story...

DEKALB COUNTY, Ga.— The victim of a deadly shooting at a local drive-in movie theater is a Taekwondo world champion.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/taekwondo-worl...

Report: Mixed martial arts fighter shot and killed in Benton Harbor
http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf...

Mixed martial artist gunned down
http://www.mississauga.com/news/article/99507...

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Dump American Eagle

#98596 Jan 25, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
Mixed martial arts fighter shot dead in Abbotsford
ABBOTSFORD — A well-known gangster from the Independent Soldiers who ran an extreme fighting club here was shot to death late Monday as he left his Clearbrook Road gym.
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story...
DEKALB COUNTY, Ga.— The victim of a deadly shooting at a local drive-in movie theater is a Taekwondo world champion.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/taekwondo-worl...
Report: Mixed martial arts fighter shot and killed in Benton Harbor
http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf...
Mixed martial artist gunned down
http://www.mississauga.com/news/article/99507...
Too many Bruce Lee movies no doubt. If you think yourself invincible there are plenty of folks who can prove you wrong..... Just assault them.
Frank

Oakland, CA

#98597 Jan 25, 2013
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>Not practical.... How do senior citizens protect their homes,selves? Home invasions rarely consist of single assailants.
There is nothing more dangerous than mixing old people and guns!
Nothing wrong with guns I shoot them all the time, everything is wrong with every half-baked nitwit totting a gun and not a clue how to use it. Those that actually know how to accurately and effectively use guns are very few and far between!
Frank

Oakland, CA

#98598 Jan 25, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
When was the last time you 'tested' your theory, and where in the news is one able to verify that account?
You'll be getting back on that, right?
Laughable, what would a f-ing idiot like do with a gun -- you couldn't even shoot yourself in the foot!!
GoGoBar

Chiang Mai, Thailand

#98599 Jan 25, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
Liar
The Congressional Research Service (CRS) found that in the last decade, from 1993 to 2011, gun-related murders have been cut in half. In 1993, there were 17,073 gun killings, for a rate of 6.6 per 100,000 people. Last year that was cut to 9,903 murders for a rate of 3.2 per 100,000. Over the past decade, suicides by guns have far outnumbered murders.
And the drop in youth killings by guns has been even greater, from a 1993 high of 1,975 to 887 in 2009, said CRS.
http://washingtonexaminer.com/cbo-under-2-per...
Codswallup! The same ammount of people are being shot. It is just that now the Doctors are so practised in gunshot trauma that anyone who makes it to the Hospital lives.
At the same time, medical data and other surveys in the U.S. show a rising number of serious injuries from assaults with guns and knives. The estimated number of people wounded seriously enough by gunshots to require a hospital stay, rather than treatment and release, rose 47% to 30,759 in 2011 from 20,844 in 2001, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Electronic Injury Surveillance System-All Injury Program. The CDC estimates showed the number of people injured in serious stabbings rose to 23,550 from 22,047 over the same period

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142412788...

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Dump American Eagle

#98600 Jan 25, 2013
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing wrong with guns I shoot them all the time, everything is wrong with every half-baked nitwit totting a gun and not a clue how to use it. Those that actually know how to accurately and effectively use guns are very few and far between!
So YOU are the self appointed judge of who might have use of a firearm? Sorry,I don't think you could judge much of anything.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#98601 Jan 25, 2013
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>
that is true there is some half baked nitwits totting guns that have no idea to accurately and effectively use guns and having concealed weapons permit does not make one an expert with a gun either but those half baked nitwits think so.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#98603 Jan 25, 2013
tfreddy42 wrote:
<quoted text>
dummy the guns are not the problem it is the person behind the guns that is the problem so your comment is mute again
Well what is the gun doing in front, that position is always reserved for who's in charge..ie the force.
GoGoBar

Chiang Mai, Thailand

#98604 Jan 25, 2013
Aggrevated Assault with Firearm

146,000 per year.

How much does that cost the taxpayer?
Dr Freud

UK

#98605 Jan 25, 2013
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>
What's YOUR definition of 'old people?'
I ask that in the consideration of the relative ages of the most recent shooters involved in mass shootings.
Dr Freud

UK

#98606 Jan 25, 2013
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>
Laughable, what would a f-ing idiot like do with a gun -- you couldn't even shoot yourself in the foot!!
When was the last time you 'tested' your theory, and where in the news is one able to verify that account?
You'll be getting back on that, right? So far you have not.

Perth, Australia

#98607 Jan 25, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Sairla...where has one criminal shot anyone in a gun free zone pleeeeaaassseeeee???......do you people read???.....criminals aren't interested in gun free zones...
<quoted text>
Are you daft?
Why didn't you address that blatant lie spouted by Australia's biggest misandrist?
If criminals aren't interested in 'gun-free zones,' then PLEASE explain all those shootings in schools, and in the Aurora movie theater which itself was POSTED: No guns allowed.
They weren't criminals....now show me where any of them had a police record prior to that incident because I didn't think you could be classes a criminal till you had a police record....have the rules changed just for the pro gun lobby?

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Dump American Eagle

#98608 Jan 25, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>that is true there is some half baked nitwits totting guns that have no idea to accurately and effectively use guns and having concealed weapons permit does not make one an expert with a gun either but those half baked nitwits think so.
Many of those "half wits" are veterans of WWII,Korea and Viet Nam. Lately there are added Vets to our ranks. Would you deny those people the means of self protedction wehen it is COMMON knowledge that our police do well to protect themselves? I find it funny/ironic as he11 that the anti-gun folks who are SOOOOO insistant about denying people firearms would send OTHER people with guns to enforce THEIR will on gun owners. Seems like a nobalz bunch to me....... Typical.
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#98609 Jan 25, 2013
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't mess with the older folks with a gun. Especially wheelchair bound people.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/01/25/ro...

Perth, Australia

#98610 Jan 25, 2013
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Addendum: In Aurora, Colorado, there were several other movie theaters very much closer to where Holmes was living, but NONE of them had posted 'No GUNs' signs. In other words, concealed carry is allowed in them.
The ONLY theater in the area with that sign, was the one that was used for the shooting.
And your evidence that this is what he did is where exactly except in your own pro gun looney mind, what about the day before the incident there might have been a place closer to where he was that had thousand of people and a gun free zone but he didn't shoot them that day because he opted for a burger and icecream instead or the day before when he had driven to Massachusetts but he forgot his guns or when the space ship landed and they were unarmed he killed about ten aliens but they got in their spacecraft and flew off believing earth was unhospitable so they left no evidence...any more theories space cadet.....No?

Perth, Australia

#98611 Jan 25, 2013
jase wrote:
Guns don't walk guns don't talk and guns don't kill without humans guns wouldn't even exist so blame the human not the gun.
Already a ban coming for not all humans just the male of the species....what d'ya think?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Republican Party is dead 2 min spocko 1,844
News Boston Globe's front page: AR-15, 'Make It Stop' 4 min WeTheSheeple 556
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 min Frankendrumpf 229,002
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Grey Ghostmoron 1,396,476
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 6 min An NFL Fan 20,198
News Columbus veteran, ousted for sexual orientation... 9 min Imprtnrd 23
News If Donald Trump Was President, Here's What Woul... (Oct '15) 10 min Trumpster 9,793
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 15 min Chilli J 3,659
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 20 min katrina 88 388,443
News Hillary Clinton wavers on Second Amendment righ... 55 min barefoot2626 1,276
More from around the web